The cops are at my door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryjo

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Columbia, LA
NCChief - THANK YOU. For putting your life on the line everyday for barely minimun wage- thank you. For making it safe (relatively) for my children to go to school everyday - thank you. For making it safe for me to drive down the street - thank you. For making it safe for me to go throughout the dy without being beat, shot, raped, or run down by some drunk or drug addict - thank you.

THANK YOU AND ALL THOSE LIKE YOU.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
Apparently deaf people don't wear signs either, so its ok that they've been it with pepper spray, tazed, and shot because they didn't hear and react to police?

I've got tons of issues with what you said. See, he wasn't coming at the cops with a rake, he had one in his hands. And the cops yelled for him to put down the rake....

Which he didn't hear, because he was deaf. He faced them, and was shot. So what was that comment about all the facts?

The simple fact is, there is by far too much of this. Its a real damn problem. Always supporting the actions of cops is just as ridiculously damn stupid as always considering them at fault, and its best no one forgets that.

I never stated I knew the facts of this case. I only stated what I personally would do if attacked with a rake. The poster who brought this up stated that he "attacked" the officer(s).

I do NOT always support actions of police officers. There are some real dumbasses out there who shouldn't be wearing the badge and they are the reason we are having this conversation now, but to judge all of us by these few bad apples is "just as ridiculously damn stupid". Are all NFL players bad because Michael Vick is? (Oakland Raiders excluded, they are all criminals) :)

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
Was that for me? ;)

chrisl317- Yes, I have heard that they are allowed to lie. But you know what? As long as it gets the criminal off the streets, into jail, and away from my family and friends- I really don't give a crap!

Did you know that there are so many laws on the books, that you, yourself, could be charged as a criminal and not realize it until your in cuffs? Why do you think ignorance of the law is no excuse? Even the judges and lawyers can't keep track of them.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
Did you know that there are so many laws on the books, that you, yourself, could be charged as a criminal and not realize it until your in cuffs? Why do you think ignorance of the law is no excuse? Even the judges and lawyers can't keep track of them.

He is right!

In Smithfield NC, it is illegal to feed a hog from your kitchen window on Sundays between 1:00 and 6:00 PM.

I think the last time that law was enforced was in the 1800s, but it is still on the books!

NCC

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
Good for them. If I am charged at with a steel tooth rake, expect the same outcome.

I highly doubt that the assailant wore a shirt or had a sign on him stating "I am mentally handicapped - Don't shoot me for attacking you".

Couldn't take the half a minute out and google the article, before you responded?

Manslaughter Charges for Detroit Cop - ABC News

Kind of a knee-jerk un-informed response there, the kind that gets people shot.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
Couldn't take the half a minute out and google the article, before you responded?

Manslaughter Charges for Detroit Cop - ABC News

Kind of a knee-jerk un-informed response there, the kind that gets people shot.

Why should I? I didn't comment about that specific case. I responded to YOUR comment where you stated someone "charged" at officers.

Take a deep breath Chris, I don't think you mean to be as arrogant as your posts are getting.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
I never stated I knew the facts of this case. I only stated what I personally would do if attacked with a rake. The poster who brought this up stated that he "attacked" the officer(s).

Right, but theres also the comment that they don't wear a sign - and you're right, no one wheres a sign saying what they are (ok, almost no one. Its relatively easy to tell when someone is amish, hasidic, or an emo kid).

But every situation is unique, and has to be approached that way. Assumptions get made, and thats when the trouble starts (like investigations, autopsies, and charges being filed).

I do NOT always support actions of police officers. There are some real dumbasses out there who shouldn't be wearing the badge and they are the reason we are having this conversation now, but to judge all of us by these few bad apples is "just as ridiculously damn stupid". Are all NFL players bad because Michael Vick is? (Oakland Raiders excluded, they are all criminals) :)

The second part was more of a general statement. There has been about five pages of either pure cop-bashing or pure cop-loving, both sides forgetting some of the reality.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
Right, but theres also the comment that they don't wear a sign - and you're right, no one wheres a sign saying what they are (ok, almost no one. Its relatively easy to tell when someone is amish, hasidic, or an emo kid).

But every situation is unique, and has to be approached that way. Assumptions get made, and thats when the trouble starts (like investigations, autopsies, and charges being filed).

The second part was more of a general statement. There has been about five pages of either pure cop-bashing or pure cop-loving, both sides forgetting some of the reality.

Excellent points there!

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
I was a witness for the defense involving police brutality. The cops didn't do it and I made sure that they had my name, address and phone number before they left in case they needed me. After the lawyer for the guy who claimed they beat him up got done talking to me, the guy pleaded out to his owns charges. I can go both ways, as I said, abuse of authority is what gets me going. Throw in a pinch of "superiority" and I'm livid.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
I was a witness for the defense involving police brutality. The cops didn't do it and I made sure that they had my name, address and phone number before they left in case they needed me. After the lawyer for the guy who claimed they beat him up got done talking to me, the guy pleaded out to his owns charges. I can go both ways, as I said, abuse of authority is what gets me going. Throw in a pinch of "superiority" and I'm livid.

Amen Chris! I cannot stand the "Better than you" officers out there and believe it or not, they act that way towards other officers. Usually with those types, 1 of 2 things happen. They get fired for doing something stupid, or they get hurt because they think they are invincible. Usually, they calm down and the ego is deflated once they are knocked down a level or two. I have seen it time and time again.

I always say..."treat people the way you want to be treated". If you want to be treated with kindness and respect, treat EVERYONE (even the suspects) with respect.

NCC

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
I always say..."treat people the way you want to be treated". If you want to be treated with kindness and respect, treat EVERYONE (even the suspects) with respect.
NCC

Toward the end of my first hitch in the Marines I got my "Blood Stripes". My first hitch I was grunt. I only had to raise my voice once. I always got those under me to do what they were supposed to without any grief, just by doing exactly that. Because of that way of treating people I never had to worry about watching my back. I did however, have to send 3 people to jail though. One fell asleep while on guard duty in the barracks. He was supposed to be looking out for his buddies and let them down. People could've died from burning lit cigarettes and choking on whiskey flavored puke is what he was there to stop. The other two got drunk and broke into the sickbay. One was trying to stitch up the other's bleeding gash on his head from falling into the gutter and hitting his head. They shouldn't have threatened the Sgt. with mayhem that I was with.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
Toward the end of my first hitch in the Marines I got my "Blood Stripes". My first hitch I was grunt. I only had to raise my voice once. I always got those under me to do what they were supposed to without any grief, just by doing exactly that. Because of that way of treating people I never had to worry about watching my back. I did however, have to send 3 people to jail though. One fell asleep while on guard duty in the barracks. He was supposed to be looking out for his buddies and let them down. People could've died from burning lit cigarettes and choking on whiskey flavored puke is what he was there to stop. The other two got drunk and broke into the sickbay. One was trying to stitch up the other's bleeding gash on his head from falling into the gutter and hitting his head. They shouldn't have threatened the Sgt. with mayhem that I was with.

The Corps sounds a lot like LE :)

I can't tell you the number of times I diffused a situation just by being calm and talking (not yelling) at people. I have NEVER had to fight anyone that I could talk to (drunks and druggies excluded, couldn't talk to them).

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Amen Chris! I cannot stand the "Better than you" officers out there and believe it or not, they act that way towards other officers. Usually with those types, 1 of 2 things happen. They get fired for doing something stupid, or they get hurt because they think they are invincible. Usually, they calm down and the ego is deflated once they are knocked down a level or two. I have seen it time and time again.

NCC

Keyword: "Respect."

If all of us could just understand the importance of mutual respect, these anti-police rants would be completely unfounded. And I use the word "completely" loosely here as the examples of police brutality previously presented in this thread should really reflect on the individual, not the entire police force. Not to mention the issue with respect (or lack thereof) is not so much an organizational issue (in terms of the police force) as it is a social issue involving all people in a society.

What some people don't understand is that the Police officers should always be shown respect (initially; unless actions come to be unlawful or unconstitutional). If you do not show them respect, you challenge their authority, and without that authority, they are handicapped in their capacity to serve their duty in stopping the real bad guys and preventing crime in the first place.

Now, when I mentioned earlier that the police have the authority to shoot at will, I meant that. The largest and most easily researched example being that Chicago police are now granted the authority to shoot at fleeing vehicles if the driver or passenger(s) are even "suspected of committing a felony." I'm actually curious to know what do you think of this policy, NCC? As far as I'm concerned, it turns Chicago police into judge, jury and, potentially, executioner.

NCC, not only are you a good officer, but you're a good man. I hope you aren't misconstruing my stance as being "anti-police." I donate to the Fraternal Order of Police each year and am a proud member of a Masonic lodge which has many members who serve and protect the Dallas area.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
What some people don't understand is that the Police officers should always be shown respect

The other way around as well - officer's should show respect to citizens from the beginning as well.

This has mostly been my experience, except for some beach towns here, some small towns..... and Atlanta, GA. Atlanta has, from my experience, the least respectful officers of anywhere I've been.

Oddly enough, some of the friendliest I've met were in Lebanon. Though I don't recommend visiting (theres just something about seeing tanks in the streets of major cities that bothers me).

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
Now, when I mentioned earlier that the police have the authority to shoot at will, I meant that. The largest and most easily researched example being that Chicago police are now granted the authority to shoot at fleeing vehicles if the driver or passenger(s) are even "suspected of committing a felony." I'm actually curious to know what do you think of this policy, NCC? As far as I'm concerned, it turns Chicago police into judge, jury and, potentially, executioner.

NCC, not only are you a good officer, but you're a good man. I hope you aren't misconstruing my stance as being "anti-police." I donate to the Fraternal Order of Police each year and am a proud member of a Masonic lodge which has many members who serve and protect the Dallas area.

My Brother,

I completely agree with you regarding Chicago's policy. I think it is the WRONG direction and unconstitutional. Judge, jury and executioner EXACTLY. I would not feel comfortable working for any agency that gives such policy/powers to officers.

I do not take your stance as being anti-police, I take it as being an informed citizen.

I am also proud FOP member and even prouder Past Master AF&AM, 32nd Scottish Rite and High Noble in the Shrine.

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
Oddly enough, some of the friendliest I've met were in Lebanon. Though I don't recommend visiting (theres just something about seeing tanks in the streets of major cities that bothers me).

Semper Fi - The command track that got taken out at the barracks there was from my battalion out at Courthouse Bay. I remember walking across the grinder and hearing the news. Sad day for all.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread