"The Crankey Vaper" is soon to be "The Cranky Reo's Squonker"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Congrats and welcome. You will soon be the cranky rockstar vaping on that bad ayuss grand :headbang:
Well my new friend.....your videos are what pushed me over the top. Even a Cranky Old Squanker like me can appreciate it when he hears the straight dope from you. The videos really ha me ready to meet the new LP. Even have a few coils ready.....Coil Master 3.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Well my new friend.....your videos are what pushed me over the top. Even a Cranky Old Squanker like me can appreciate it when he hears the straight dope from you. The videos really ha me ready to meet the new LP. Even have a few coils ready.....Coil Master 3.

That is really cool. Thank you. I was just like you when I was getting my first rebuildable atomizer. It was in 2013 and we had no luxuries like coil masters and that coil was like 4 wraps wound around a machine screw. I couldn't sleep I was so damn excited for that atomizer.

I got that atomizer and installed that coil and figured out with some help from another REOnaut how make a cotton wick and it was such a killer vape. Your sitting there just beaming going "I built this" as you squonk and vape away. That tasty vapor is 6.5 parts awesome and 6.5 parts pride cause your now off the grid from buying things like cartos.

So my man, I can in so many ways relate to exactly where you are. You will not be cranky much longer. I'm thinking right now you are "stoked vaper" and once you have your setup you will transform into - I dunno - can't see you thru all that vapor - but I'm guessing "Contented Vaper".

Yes stuff evolves so fast and I try to keep up but the setup you are getting is capable of whupping so much ayuss as-is or ready for whatever the future holds.

Rock on.

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
Yes, it should. However, I'm not sure of the results if you used the Ammonia method to purposely cause patina.

For the RM2 and Brass Button Cover. It's best to polish them really good before tarnishing gets bad - especially the Button Cover. It's easier to maintain that way. The first time, I recommend polishing them while they're Off the Reo Grand. After the initial polish, you can polish them while they're ON the Reo Grand. Takes about 3 mins. Just put a small dab (the 2 oz tube will last forever) on a Micro-Fiber cloth, and keep going over them - even after they turn black. The Black residue on the cloth actually helps clean and polish better. Then buff really good with the other end of the cloth, and they'll look like 24k Gold.

I have to ask about the Clear Coat on the Copper Vein. I am thinking of getting a Door for my Grand but I am hesitant about the Clear Coat.

Is there a recommended type of Coating, do you just brush it on, and will it last?

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
I have to ask about the Clear Coat on the Copper Vein. I am thinking of getting a Door for my Grand but I am hesitant about the Clear Coat.

Is there a recommended type of Coating, do you just brush it on, and will it last?
I would use lacquer. Deft makes a spray lacquer, found at HD, Lowes, Amazon... Probably much easier to spray rather than brushing on a door.
Once the lacquer cures, it is baby-safe! And it's resistant to solvents such as alcohol.

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
That is really cool. Thank you. I was just like you when I was getting my first rebuildable atomizer. It was in 2013 and we had no luxuries like coil masters and that coil was like 4 wraps wound around a machine screw. I couldn't sleep I was so damn excited for that atomizer.

I got that atomizer and installed that coil and figured out with some help from another REOnaut how make a cotton wick and it was such a killer vape. Your sitting there just beaming going "I built this" as you squonk and vape away. That tasty vapor is 6.5 parts awesome and 6.5 parts pride cause your now off the grid from buying things like cartos.

So my man, I can in so many ways relate to exactly where you are. You will not be cranky much longer. I'm thinking right now you are "stoked vaper" and once you have your setup you will transform into - I dunno - can't see you thru all that vapor - but I'm guessing "Contented Vaper".

Yes stuff evolves so fast and I try to keep up but the setup you are getting is capable of whupping so much ayuss as-is or ready for whatever the future holds.

Rock on.
Okay then..package delivered. I ordered a Reomizer 2.0....the invoice says it's a Reomizer 8 but the atomizer thinks it's a Derringer. I think the atomizer is right. The question now is, do I go with the Derringer? It's the one with the gold center post. I am not ready quite yet to do a dual coil so I wonder how a single coil should be built. Or....do I just holler at Rob and wait for the RM 2. I di like the way this little bitty Derringer looks...your thoughts?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Okay then..package delivered. I ordered a Reomizer 2.0....the invoice says it's a Reomizer 8 but the atomizer thinks it's a Derringer. I think the atomizer is right. The question now is, do I go with the Derringer? It's the one with the gold center post. I am not ready quite yet to do a dual coil so I wonder how a single coil should be built. Or....do I just holler at Rob and wait for the RM 2. I di like the way this little bitty Derringer looks...your thoughts?

I'd try the derringer. I'd suggest starting with an approximately 0.8 to 1 ohm coil on there and try to position it close the the rim of the deck but not so close that you'll risk a short. You can align the coil horizontally in line with the AFC slot and start with the unbuilt side of the AFC closed. Or you can just go all hog wild and slap ya some duals on there - here's a vid that may help
(not a derringer but similar concept but your atty is 3 posts. Just keep a rod thru the coils when you tighten any posts and don't fire the mod with the rod in the coils. I'd suggest removing the battery):

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If your set up to build coils then it really doesn't take much more time to do 2. Probably a little easier to get a single dialed in, but that didn't stop me from starting with 2. I went from reading and watching youtube to my first dual coiled working REO in about 4 hrs, that's with no experience at all and making posts along the way. It's not hard, just takes a little time to get a feel for things. If you start a thread and can post a few pics along the way you should have it going tonight. There are usually enough folks lurking around on the weekend to have any question answered in about 15min.

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
If your set up to build coils then it really doesn't take much more time to do 2. Probably a little easier to get a single dialed in, but that didn't stop me from starting with 2. I went from reading and watching youtube to my first dual coiled working REO in about 4 hrs, that's with no experience at all and making posts along the way. It's not hard, just takes a little time to get a feel for things. If you start a thread and can post a few pics along the way you should have it going tonight. There are usually enough folks lurking around on the weekend to have any question answered in about 15min.
Thank you my friend. Already have the .8 in it. Not wicked yet. Guess I'll keep the little bugger.
The new LP looks great. Should I ask Rob about the "mix up"? I really liked the looks of the RM 2.
Will take some pics after I get it done. Gotta give that coil some special treatment first. Thanks again!

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Thank you my friend. Already have the .8 in it. Not wicked yet. Guess I'll keep the little bugger.
The new LP looks great. Should I ask Rob about the "mix up"? I really liked the looks of the RM 2.
Will take some pics after I get it done. Gotta give that coil some special treatment first. Thanks again!

Derringer is awesome.. I'd just order another rm2 haha. Good to have multiple attys when your starting out to experiment with. Play with one for builds while the other is there vaping away.

Another reason to have multiple reos!

Reactions: Debadoo

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Derringer is awesome.. I'd just order another rm2 haha. Good to have multiple attys when your starting out to experiment with. Play with one for builds while the other is there vaping away.

Another reason to have multiple reos!
2437e5e2a1886ae33e9c80180c9c1137.jpg

Got 'er done.....WOW!!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com

You should let Robert know about the mix up on the RM2. Just send him a conversation on here. One thing about reosmods is they always make things right!

Congratz on getting your new REO!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I'd suggest starting with an approximately 0.8 to 1 ohm coil on there and try to position it close the the rim of the deck but not so close that you'll risk a short.
Based on someone's advice, I found with duals the derringer does better if they're a bit closer to the posts rather that out to the edge of the deck, but everyone's a bit different in their preferences. Just tossing up a different perspective for him.

Karen beat me to it, but was going to say the same thing....definitely let him know about it. Mix ups happen, but he'd for sure wanna know. Hopefully you'll love the derringer. It's fantastic for me. First question is, how do you vape, mouth to lung MTL, or lung hits? Though it sounds silly to some, I do dual coils around 1.3 ohms. I get more lung hit and flavor with duals than a single, but don't have a hot vape. My fruity juices don't like being singed lol

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Well as it turns out, I looked at the original order and it calls for an RM 8. I know the RM 2 was what I wanted, but must not have checked out carefully. I wonder if the RM 8 is similar to the Derringer..? I sent Rob a note to let him know about it. It's really not a big deal but, I am NOT fond of that tiny alan key the Derringer comes with.

Reactions: Debadoo

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
I'd try the derringer. I'd suggest starting with an approximately 0.8 to 1 ohm coil on there and try to position it close the the rim of the deck but not so close that you'll risk a short. You can align the coil horizontally in line with the AFC slot and start with the unbuilt side of the AFC closed. Or you can just go all hog wild and slap ya some duals on there - here's a vid that may help
(not a derringer but similar concept but your atty is 3 posts. Just keep a rod thru the coils when you tighten any posts and don't fire the mod with the rod in the coils. I'd suggest removing the battery):

That was great! reminds me of the classic 1957 Johnny Cash hit, "Gimme Dual Coils....An' I Don't Care" You don't hear that one too much these days...damn! My nurse is here to take me back to the home....

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Well as it turns out, I looked at the original order and it calls for an RM 8. I know the RM 2 was what I wanted, but must not have checked out carefully. I wonder if the RM 8 is similar to the Derringer..? I sent Rob a note to let him know about it. It's really not a big deal but, I am NOT fond of that tiny alan key the Derringer comes with.
Misordering happens too lol Perhaps it was meant to be. I always vaped mtl and never thought I'd want to do anything else. Then a reonaut sent me some attys to help me get started. Started with the odin, cuz I knew someone here had many detailed videos of how to build them. Was weird getting used to lung hits, but once I did I found out I liked it. Moved on from the odin, but stayed with larger attys
The rm8 is a derringer clone.
I didn't drop my nic either, so no worries if you don't. You'll know if you're getting too much nic

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Misordering happens too lol Perhaps it was meant to be. I always vaped mtl and never thought I'd want to do anything else. Then a reonaut sent me some attys to help me get started. Started with the odin, cuz I knew someone here had many detailed videos of how to build them. Was weird getting used to lung hits, but once I did I found out I liked it. Moved on from the odin, but stayed with larger attys
The rm8 is a derringer clone.
I didn't drop my nic either, so no worries if you don't. You'll know if you're getting too much nic

Thanks for the clarification on the Derringer. I suspect now that I am a full fledged "Cranky Squonker", I'll end up the dreaded Attys Disease. Even worse, the terminal Reo's Syndrome I've been reading about. They say there is no cure for that at the present time..................it's why they have these support groups I guess.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I'll end up the dreaded Attys Disease. Even worse, the terminal Reo's Syndrome I've been reading about. They say there is no cure for that at the present time..................it's why they have these support groups I guess.
yeah, but it's not fatal........it's actually kinda a nice disease......and the treatment is mahvelous dahling!!! hehehe

Reactions: B2L
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread