The "dangers" of silica wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaydreamingRobot

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2013
Ny
How was it determined that every single vendor is useing amourphous sillica and not crystalized sillca? I'm just an average joe, I was just curious how it was determined that all vendors use the amourphous version. I couldnt figure that part out.

I read that it takes extreme temperatures and pressures but, how do we know they arent buying the sillica from a manufacturer with those capabilities?

The problem is there is no consistency with the manufacturing of most e-cigarette parts, mainly because the majority of cartomizers come from China. They still use extremely toxic chemicals like dioxin to bleach fabric and textiles. Just because a cartomizer is listed as cotton does not mean it's cotton. I recently purchased a batch of "cotton" wick cartomizers only to find the material was fiberglass. In my opinion, this may be the "Achilles Heel" of e-cigs when and if they are regulated.

Hopefully, some smart MIT geek will figure out a way to vaporize without wicks, coils and the byproducts of heating them.

Chance

rebar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2011
iowa
The problem is there is no consistency with the manufacturing of most e-cigarette parts, mainly because the majority of cartomizers come from China. They still use extremely toxic chemicals like dioxin to bleach fabric and textiles. Just because a cartomizer is listed as cotton does not mean it's cotton. I recently purchased a batch of "cotton" wick cartomizers only to find the material was fiberglass. In my opinion, this may be the "Achilles Heel" of e-cigs when and if they are regulated.

Hopefully, some smart MIT geek will figure out a way to vaporize without wicks, coils and the byproducts of heating them.

Chance

How about hemp wicks SteampunkPirate? Sounds safer to me.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
I want to bring this thread back from the dead to say something:

When a cartomizer goes drier in taste, where I can taste a tinge of polyfil, all the sudden I feel buildup in the back of my throat.

When an atomizer head starts to have that wicky, silica bite and tasting a little to dry, I suddenly feel a LOT of buildup on the back of my throat.

When I've experimented with hemp wicks, I IMMEDIATELY feel a dusty vape in my mouth and building up in my throat.

When I've experimented with cotton wicks, the dusty texture of the vape is so severe, even on just one toot, that it makes me cough and gag up mucus for minutes, and I'll be stuck with a huge lump of dusty particle feeling mess in my throat for about an hour.

This did not happen with Cisco and the silica and/or style of coil that they build, and the ohms I bought it at.
This did not happen when I did a "wickless" experiment by vaping a coil with liquid on it for just one toot (it is possible, just don't toot it a second time without re-applying liquid, it'll taste HORRIBLE.)

I personally believe that there are coil defects and/or silica defects that are causing this extreme side effect with me - not only is it a physical issue, it's a taste issue, as these particles always taste like a singed sock to my tongue, and it's full and in-the-face. I can only vape the products that don't do this, which are virtually none.

It's not nicotine, it's not drying, it's literal physical matter that I can swallow in the back of my throat, though it will feel lodged for awhile, diminishing with each swallow. I can feel it coming unlodged as I swallow, and I can feel the clumps of dust being traveled down to my throat, it's like I'm swallowing a small bit of bread almost.

Last edited:

glycerol

ECF Veteran
Just do like I did - buy yourself a whole roll of Kanthal A1 so you're sure it's really Kanthal, buy also a roll of silica and just rewick your coils every week or so, it's not that hard!! Btw, I also don't trust atomizer wholesalers and vendors no matter if they're Chinese or not - I just buy some protank heads and rewick them with my materials BEFORE vaping.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
How was it determined that every single vendor is useing amourphous sillica and not crystalized sillca? I'm just an average joe, I was just curious how it was determined that all vendors use the amourphous version. I couldnt figure that part out.

I read that it takes extreme temperatures and pressures but, how do we know they arent buying the sillica from a manufacturer with those capabilities?
Because nobody uses crystalized silica for making threads, strings, ropes, etc. It is not a suitable material.

Does anyone read this thread before posting? Read posts #47, 63, 70, and 71. Those 4 posts will address 99% of questions as to the safety of using silica. For those who can't be bothered to look those posts up, here's the abbreviated version:

Vaping with silica wicks is safe.

rj134

Jan 6, 2014
Cologne
there really needs to be a sub forum for these type of stupid threads,, there are so many of them already
I don't think they're stupid at all and the fact they're numerous indicates a need for more talk, clarification and experiment.
We should all be striving to do what we can to make vaping as safe as possible for everyone. Even if the only contribution is asking questions, however silly they may be, it's still better than nothing.

So yeah... maybe a sub does indeed make sense, but definitely not because the threads are "stupid".

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
the dangerous silica is the type found in silica sand.
that's why you have to wear a mask when mixing.
its used in cements,concretes,and premixed ceiling and wall textures.there's other uses i'm sure.
once mixed and wet its virtually harmless.
in its natural state the fine particles are very small and will get in your lungs.
the silica as used in wicks is is in a very stable state after the manufacturing process and
should be harmless in its intended purpose.i would think that who ever is making it would be
using a mask though.
regards
mike

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
the dangerous silica is the type found in silica sand.
that's why you have to wear a mask when mixing.
its used in cements,concretes,and premixed ceiling and wall textures.there's other uses i'm sure.
once mixed and wet its virtually harmless.
in its natural state the fine particles are very small and will get in your lungs.
Crystaline Silica...the stuff that causes Silicosis.
the silica as used in wicks is is in a very stable state after the manufacturing process and
should be harmless in its intended purpose.i would think that who ever is making it would be
using a mask though.
regards
mike
Amorphous Silica...the stuff that's in our wicks.

...and yeah that's already been covered in this thread, by very knowledgeable people. Refer to posts #47, 63, 70, and 71.

Last edited:

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
QC & FL
Don't believe everything in wiki. Everyone knows how wiki information is gathered. As a scientist, if I quoted wiki in one of my control test procedures or method development, I'd be fired hehe. They do know what causes silicosis (the topic of this thread), and it is crystalline silica dust which our ejuice before, during and after vaping does not contain.

There is such a thing as particle pollution. No matter what the size, particles can be harmful to your health. Who are the main people at risk? The ones that live where particle pollution levels are high (can look at levels in your state).

So some of these at home studies I've seen here and there in the threads (e.g. the disappearing wick) does not prove that e-cig vapor may cause silicosis. For the sake of argument, lets say they do see 'silica' fragments, they would still have to prove they are crystalline silica dust in order to cause silicosis. There are mainly 3 methods used to determine the difference between crystalline silica dust and amorphous silica since they both are SiO2, and they can not be done at home but in a well equipped lab. Specifically by X-ray defraction or Infra-red spectroscopy only (and advanced chemical bonding methods)... So looking at particles through a microscope tells us nothing.

While it's true that there maybe some possible dangers in vaping, and further studies are in definite need.... If one is so worried about it, then don't vape until valid scientific reports are released. If you feel based on the scientific evidence so far that vaping is safer than analogs as I do, then vape... But assuming something is unhealthy without the scientific proof can deter some people who seriously need to quit smoking analogs and cause them to have unreasonable apprehension to try e-cigs. Up to date, there is absolutely, without a doubt scientific proof that smoking analogs are dangerous to ones health with over 4K chemicals.

Agree and I would add that we are not comparing e-cig to analogs with our safety concerns about vaping.

Saying that ecig is safer than analogs is a given and is not a counter argument but is often used as such.

Chuck2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Giddings, TX, USA
So glad I read the whole thread. I usually do before posting as my post becomes moot or my question is answered in the thread.

I would like to add, though, that the reason we vapers are concerned about the safety of e-ciggs when we didn't seem concerned enough about smoking until we quit analogs is directly related to the reason we gave up analogs. We became concerned enough about our health to finally get off of analogs, at least I did and all of the vapers I personally know.

We made a step toward getting healthier or no longer doing damage to our lungs. Accepting e-ciggs without questioning the safety would be a step back. It is something we must understand so that we can make informed decisions and be able to help smokers make such informed decisions as well.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
:offtopic:
Since this thread is still active, I'll post this here as well:
207qnup.jpg

I'll stick with my Organic Cotton Balls and Yarn ;)
Since many people, myself included, have switched to cotton wicking as a preferred substitute for silica (better flavor and less hassle).
There are important reasons to choose organic cotton balls and yarn over regular cotton. I'll let the discussion return to silica wicks now.

Hawaii

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
Houston
Hi, folks. Occupational health and safety professional here.

I post a lot of questions about vaping here, because as you can see, I'm new. I don't know anything about vaping.

One thing I do know, however, is occupational health and safety, which is the field from which the scientific background comes that has deduced the dangers of inhaling silica into the lungs. So I thought I'd give a little back to the community and post what I know.

1) The primary health hazard of silica is silicosis. This is a disease that will probably kill you. I am not saying silica wicks cause silicosis. Your lungs contain macrophages. Tiny police in your lungs that trap particles and intruders, and try to expel them through your lungs natural elevator system. However, when macrophages get their hands on silica crystals, they lodge themselves in the wall of the lung, and can't let go. The macrophages die, and you're left with scars. Over the course of many years, the scars caused by the crystals make lung function decline, resulting in the diagnosis of silicosis. Silicosis is not reversible and there is no cure. Again, I am not saying that silica wicks cause silicosis.

2) There's two types of silica in regards to causing silicosis. Crystalline silica is the material that causes this disease. Amorphous silica does not. Someone mentioned the health effects of "glass silica" entering the lungs. If these wicks are indeed made from glass, they are by nature *not* crystalline silica. Glass is an amorphous material.

3) A reader thought that silica was the cause of some lung issues they were experiencing after vaping for a month or so. Unlikely. Silicosis takes many, many (10 - 30) years to develop. There is no instant effect.

4) Most occupational exposures to silica that result in silicosis are from sawing or drilling things like concrete that contains silica, working with certain types of insulation etc. These occupations are 5 days a week of MASSIVE amounts of crystalline silica hanging in the air. This is not to make light of the inherent dangers of crystalline silica, just to give you a comparison of what people who really do get the disease are exposed to.

5) Someone mentioned that putting a cotton or cloth pad between you and the wick might save you from the perceived danger of the silica wick. No. You need what is referred to as a P100 filter to contain the tiny particles that crystalline silica would produce.

6) I don't know if the silica wicks are amorphous or crystalline. This is something I'd need to find out.

If I have an Aspire Nautilus coil or any other Ego coil, I know that these coils contain silica but do these coils let off the fibers to be inhaled in the lungs or is it contained well in the casing? If it's not contained, I'm switching to RDA right now.

If I have an Aspire Nautilus coil or any other Ego coil, I know that these coils contain silica but do these coils let off the fibers to be inhaled in the lungs or is it contained well in the casing? If it's not contained, I'm switching to RDA right now.
I noticed that the wicks on a kanger evod glass did come apart into smaller fibers when I pulled them out of the coil- but the wick on the Halo triton holds together in one piece when I pull it out- plus the kanger had a consistently weird taste, but I think that is more due to the liquid overheating- two 1.5 ohm coils is probably just too much heat for a smaller tank- if I cant find a way to do higher ohm coils on it I ditch. I use the 2.6 ohm coils on the single coil halo triton and its plenty of heat. I'm thinking about trying hemp or cotton wicks on the kanger and maybe the halo too. I have yet to wind coils or wick anything, but intend to. I have the tools and a multimeter. I ordered some of that japanese cotton everyone was raving about. Anyone have a good source on natural unwaxed hemp?

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
This is the newbie forum. Do you really think this the the kind of thing newbies should be greeted with?

This is exactly the thing that newbies should be concerned with. After all, they quit analogs to improve their health. Wouldn't it be awful if they found out after several hears that they were vaping asbestos...about which it is "now known that prolonged inhalation of asbestos fibers can cause serious and fatal illnesses including malignant lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis (a type of pneumoconiosis)." [Wiki]

I bought some ReadyXWick to try, then became concerned when I cut the end of a small piece into a point to thread it thru a coil, and about a thousand tiny shards fell on my desk. That gave me enough concern to not want to use it as a wick. Especially since the KGD cotton works so beautifully. It's not like we're desperate to find good wicking material.

So, does anyone here know more than I do about the ReadyXWick wicking material? All I know is all the high-heating and uber-processing of it doesn't appear to do away with its falling apart into shards.

Edit: I'm trying to read this whole thread. So far...I think further studies are warranted. :)

Last edited:

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
i came to the health forum today because I have been seriously struggling.
I've been struggling with slight nausea, severe fatigue, and chest discomfort.
I didn't know what was causing all of this and I especially wanted to know what the nausea and fatigue was from.
I was getting so sick and tired of this that every day was turning into an experiment.
Was it the nicotine? Was it the PG? Was it the VG? I was going crazy.
I tried lowering my nicotine, no relief. Increasing my dosage, no relief.
I have been through many bottles of juice, different flavors, different pg/vg ratios.
All gave me the same problems. I was starting to really get concerned.
Today is the 1st day I have not used silica for wicking. Today is the 1st day I have NONE of these symptoms.
I have strictly used stainless steel mesh today and I have not felt the foggy head, fatigue, lung pain.
I had a tiny bit of nausea with my 1st vape this morning but it went away quickly.

I'm going to continue using mesh & only mesh and see if symptoms come back.
I just don't know why silica would be the culprit after reading through this thread.

I've had a short rope of ReadyXWick for over a week and just yesterday tried it out and vaped it throughout the day. I had queasiness (slight nausea) for the first time in years in the evening). Probably just a very rare coinkidink but I sure found your post interesting. Nevertheless, I think I'll quit the ReadyXWick forever.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I bought some ReadyXWick to try, then became concerned when I cut the end of a small piece into a point to thread it thru a coil, and about a thousand tiny shards fell on my desk.
Edit: I'm trying to read this whole thread. So far...I think further studies are warranted. :)

There is a youtube out there where reviewer is taking apart one o those pre made new wicks, I think aspire or somethng, and you can see the particles of the dust coming off it and breaking off, like it was crumbling, etc. I agree about testing.

quit eating processed foods while you're at it

Yes, that would be a terrible idea, to eat healthily instead of eating processed foods.

By the way, millions of people do just that. Many have solved their high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, diabetes, obesity, and other health risks. Having vitality, good health, great skin, etc. is great.

Your post assumes, for some reason, that giving up processed foods is like some impossible other-worldly weirdo task......and yet, so many do, urged by their docs, and have great results to show. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread