The "dangers" of silica wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Just want to chime in that "organic" is really a meaningless term. Everything we see or touch is made of molecules. What's a molecule? Well, depending on whether you're a physicist or a chemist the definition varies a bit. But basically, it is when two or more atoms merge to form a chemical bond. This means everything is a chemical. Water is a "chemical." Milk is comprised of chemicals. Apples are comprised of chemicals. Poison Ivy is a "natural" organic plant, but most people want to stay away from it. Arsenic is found in rice. Guess what? This makes arsenic "organic" too. There's a lot of completely natural (or organic) poisons in the world. Does that mean they are safe to consume just because they are "natural?"

Organic foods and products are basically a marketing scheme. Some of the purveyors are sincere, but most are simply misinformed and ignorant. If you took an organic banana and a "regular" banana and put them through thorough chemical analysis, it is doubtful one would see any difference. Penn and Teller did a "Bullchit" episode on this whole topic and it's worth watching.

In any case, this applies to vaping too. Organic juice vendors are often sincere but misguided. Diacetyl, for instance, is found in natural foods and will most certainly show up in custard or buttery "organic" juices because it's found in those foods naturally. Likewise, people who use organic cotton because they feel it's safer are simply ignorant. I am not so convinced that cotton as a wicking material is that safe in the first place (organic or treated). It's thermal properties are not ideal for use as a wick because its heat tolerance is low. Untreated cotton is a known hazard to fabric and yarn workers (inhale it and you get byssinosis). This is often fatal. This happens more often in the third world where there aren't proper safety protocols, but it was a problem in the USA prior to the industrial revolution (and still does occur in isolated cases). So, based on the dangerous nature of raw cotton, it would make more sense to *not* use organic cotton as a wick.

Now, I am not saying vaping off cotton wicks will give you an incurable lung disease but I am saying that it's is reasonable to be concerned about our wicking materials. I know some people have had bad reactions from cotton wicks (some of these people are very well known vapers). I also have bad reactions to it. In my case, it is probably an allergy since I am asthmatic and more susceptible to respiratory irritants than most people (us asthmatics are a strange lot -- some very unsuspecting things can prompt asthma attacks even if such materials do not bother us in other circumstances). I can go years without having asthmatic symptoms but if I get around a known irritant, I can end up in the ER (cats do it for me -- I will get sick if I am around them at all). Since most of us have allergies we don't even know about, then it stands to reason that certain materials can negatively affect some people while not bothering others.

I suspect people who are sensitive to cotton are having some sort inflammatory response (constricting of the airways, much like in asthma). If it were a serious disease like byssinosis I am certain we would have heard of such cases by now.

In my case, I also appear to have reactions to citrus juices (lemons, lime, orange, etc). If I vape a citrus juice, I end up with a very tight chest (radiates to my back), and also feel like my chest is inflammed. It feels just like the asthma attacks I remember as a kid. When I don't vape said flavors, my symptoms mostly disappear. Same with cotton.

TL;DR:

Cotton is probably OK, but does negatively affect some people. Organic cotton doesn't make a whole lot of sense overall because untreated cotton *can* be dangerous if the fibers are inhaled (no, I am not saying you will die if you vape off organic cotton. You probably wont have any problems at all). Silica just makes more sense. It is made specifically to tolerate high heat without degradation. Cotton is not.

Last edited:

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
it seems to me that you would ingest more fiberglass installing insulation in your house than in a life time of vaping. people who develop this disease are exposed to high levels of airborne particles for years. it is easy to find "boogie men" to be afraid of and people in the medical profession love using scare tactics to convince us that we need them and their drugs which often have much greater risks.detectable levels of many dangerous chemicals can be found in soil,water and food. nicotine is found in potatoes and arsenic and lysergic acid is found in corn. but the human body has been dealing with these for 1000's of years.I find it fascinating that these "experts" want to regulate or even ban vaping based on the argument that we do not know if they are harmful.what we do know is that the drugs they want to give us to help us stop smoking are harmful and in many instances like the nicotine patch they are proven to be ineffective and increase the risk of someone returning to smoking.these people remind me of a children's fairy tale but the truth is that the sky is not falling and many ex smokers have found vaping to be an effective way to quit and have experienced improved health. sorry but this kind of propaganda used to encourage regulation and new taxes make me angry

arth1

Feb 17, 2015
nicotine is found in potatoes and arsenic and lysergic acid is found in corn. but the human body has been dealing with these for 1000's of years.

Make that hundreds, not thousands, unless you're a native American. There are some that advocate moderation in using too much new world produce, because not enough generations have passed yet for a generic resistance to develop and spread throughout the gene pool.
Personally, I think the human body is a marvelous self-healing machine, but there are limits to its capabilities, and I don't really want to test those limits. Corn and potatoes? Bring it on. Formaldehyde, fiberglass or diethylene contaminated vg? No, I think my body should be spared trying to repair that.

Last edited:

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
there really needs to be a sub forum for these type of stupid threads,, there are so many of them already

Stupid for you, perhaps (assuming that you were a smoker who is looking for harm reduction in vaping). I, however, haven't smoked a cigarette in over 42 years. I decided to pick up vaping as a 'safe' and reliable way of introducing controlled amounts of nicotine into my body for therapeutic purposes (cognitive enhancement). So, I really don't personally care whether vaping is safer than breathing tobacco smoke. Since I'm engaging in vaping for other than harm reduction purposes, it is important for me to become aware of the issues. Having read this far through this thread, I have become convinced that silicosis is probably not something I should worry about. Also, being new to this, and not even knowing what 'dripping' was until last night, I'm convinced that, since my main concerns with vaping have always been particle/lung interactions I'm probably vaping more safely than many here. First, I'm currently vaping 48mg/ml nicotine (higher concentration, less vapor). Also, I never inhale from the device. I use it very similarly to the way I used to use cigarettes, I take a drag, swish it around my mouth for several seconds and then inhale it. To date my average consumption/day is well less than one ml 75/25 PG/VG solution. Right now, I'm convinced that my main concerns should be with the flavorings I put in my juice.

So, I hope you can see why these "stupid" threads are not "stupid" from my perspective.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
You don't need to inhale it to absorb it. The majority of nicotine will be absorbed in the mouth. AFAIK

Stupid for you, perhaps (assuming that you were a smoker who is looking for harm reduction in vaping). I, however, haven't smoked a cigarette in over 42 years. I decided to pick up vaping as a 'safe' and reliable way of introducing controlled amounts of nicotine into my body for therapeutic purposes (cognitive enhancement). So, I really don't personally care whether vaping is safer than breathing tobacco smoke. Since I'm engaging in vaping for other than harm reduction purposes, it is important for me to become aware of the issues. Having read this far through this thread, I have become convinced that silicosis is probably not something I should worry about. Also, being new to this, and not even knowing what 'dripping' was until last night, I'm convinced that, since my main concerns with vaping have always been particle/lung interactions I'm probably vaping more safely than many here. First, I'm currently vaping 48mg/ml nicotine (higher concentration, less vapor). Also, I never inhale from the device. I use it very similarly to the way I used to use cigarettes, I take a drag, swish it around my mouth for several seconds and then inhale it. To date my average consumption/day is well less than one ml 75/25 PG/VG solution. Right now, I'm convinced that my main concerns should be with the flavorings I put in my juice.

So, I hope you can see why these "stupid" threads are not "stupid" from my perspective.

Damaurian

Apr 28, 2015
Fernley, Nv
I had the same concerns about these wicks because I was a concrete finisher for about a year and osha was always preaching about the dangers of crystalline silicates in the air.

Although after reading the original post my concerns have been put to rest. Doesn't make sense that these wicks could cause silicosis, unless you ground them up into dust and snorted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread