The E-Pipe Juice Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Brough East Yorkshire, UK
I have just done a quick test of the usb microscope I got today.
If you fullscreen the video. This is what I see on my laptop.
YouTube - 20100128180509.avi

The microscope lens was set about 8 inches away from the tip of the soldering iron.
Which does not intrude with the work.

The picture quality is very good.

It was set at 1024 x 768 but the settings will allow me to double that.

I Should now be able to solder without 2 magnifying glasses and a floodlight.

kai kane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Near da water ...
For around $50 US it is helping a great deal.

Great idea - I need one too!
And for those without $50 extra, you can mod an old webcam for next to nothing (great site btw) - look on the right sidebar for similar techniques as this one is a little OVERsimplified:
2 Minute digital microscope

Unfortunately I can't find Unbuntu drives (Linux) so I have to dual boot into windows (AAAHHH).
the above might be a solution for you Petercro if you want to use one in Ubuntu and have Linux drvrs for another webcam. I'm running Ubuntu on my backup laptop.

kai

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Just a quick pic of my laptops alt key.
This in nowhere near full zoom or the highest quality.
Not bad for a £32 sterling usb microscope.

I have been asked to put my liquid fed atty design into a box mod.
I'm working on it at the moment.
Will keep you posted......

Attachments

• micro4.jpg
    micro4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 50

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
I'll share the research that i've been doing into perastaltic pumps into this thread.

WMC pumps makes a VERY small pump. They have a particular one I was looking into that's rated for 0.1ml/min. This would seem roughly equivalent to the juice use of a 3.7v atty.

Specifically, this series.
Series 100 Micro Peristaltic Pumps
Price with motor is 32 pounds.

If you could design a voltage regulator to take 5v, jack it up to 12v, and feed it to the pump (it's only 0.06A), you could have the pump and the atty running on the same circuit, thus only pumping when the atty is in.

Vitron is rated up to 200c, so no temperature worries there.

The whole arrangement is about a 6cm cube. So not horrifically large.

With this kind of system, you could eliminate the guesswork out of pumping the bottle, avoid flooding your atty, and not worry about juice leaking out as it's being replaced at the same rate as it's being used.

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Two people from the ecf has asked me to make them.
I'm making one as a reviewable test. If results are good I will make more (maybe).
I'm a subcontractor and my work commitments are quite intense at the moment.
So the little work I do on the mod each day is been photographed.
If all goes well in a couple of weeks I will start a new thread and post the build legend.
If it doesn't go well I will probably post my mistakes. As I'm designing on the fly.

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Kauai Kai
I'm trying to squeeze a lot of kit into a very very small space 2.75 x 2 x 1"
It Fits nicely into your palm. But it is taking time to mod.

Marctwo
The 4081 is not the best atty but it is what I have available to use. It does however have the bottom hole for the juice feed and a side hole for air feed. But I have not checked out any other attys yet.

If you want to drop picture or two on this thread of your atty juice feed mods.
Please feel free to do so....

Petercro

Marctwo

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
U.K
Marctwo
The 4081 is not the best atty but it is what I have available to use. It does however have the bottom hole for the juice feed and a side hole for air feed. But I have not checked out any other attys yet.
I don't know the 4081 myself but I'd assume it's the same as the 510/901 style atties in that the bottom and side holes both open into the inside of the connector, beneath the internal air intake hole.

To get juice into the atty this way I've had to insert the needle (I use a syringe) through the bottom and on through the internal air intake hole also. Keeping the needle in place while drawing affects the airflow quite a bit on the ones I've tried. It already takes quite a bit of pressure to get juice through this needle so a smaller one wouldn't realy be practicable.

My current thinking on bottom entry is to make the needle retractable.

petercro

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
I understand what you are saying but making the needle retractable, adds more problems.
Apart from the engineering requirements and the size of the mechanism required, which maybe large on a home build mod. Also when the needle is retracted a small amount of liquid maybe forced out leaking into the mod.
I posted a question some time ago with no response. Maybe the if you could answer the question it would be the answer to your problems.
QUESTION

May Help May Not.

Petercro:confused:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
If you ever get a chance to look at Hon Lik's original US PV patent (circa 2006) I think you'll be amazed at all the stuff he originally thought of. LCD displays, peristaltic pumps, piezo droplet injection.. all kinds of stuff.

The first offerings that we have to deal with right now are pretty simplistic, but he certainly envisioned some stuff that was a lot more complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread