The eGo charger and over-charging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
I'm putting this post here just so more eyes will see it as opposed to the eGo sub forum. This is a question more about chargers and charging an eGo battery.

Does the joyetech 510/eGo battery charger SHUT-OFF when the green light comes on?

I was reading the post concerning the ins and outs of batteries and one thing that hasn't crossed my mind yet is the fact of over-charging batteries.

At the moment I can only assume that the charger shuts off after the charger turns green, the led that is. Since the battery and the chargers wall plug no longer produces heat! Is this fact?

Also, I heard that this same charger uses reverse polarity. Does that mean I couldn't use it to charge up an eGo knock-off or any other battery with a different name that has the eGo adapters?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralikar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
I use a Twist and the Ego charger-- I leave them in a ton. Can't really overcharge them just follow basic battery charging safety (I forget). The Twist is such a great quality bat I bought the real Ego charger instead of my knock off chargers to ensure it was getting the right charge. I try to take them off when they are charged but often forget--not really a problem.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
When the light changes from red to green, charging is supposed to stop. The green is telling you that the battery is 'good to go'. At this point in time, the battery should be taken off the charger. Leaving the battery on the charger will not increase the charge. On the other hand, if the charger or battery is defective, then the condition could possibly arise that the charger will still attempt to charge the battery some more. This, of course, would not be a good condition. The problem is that you may not know it is occurring. Using a charger for small stick 510 batteries may charge your ego, but if something should go wrong, you probably won't know it.

Therefore, just to be on the safe side, only use the proper charger for your battery. Remove the batteries promptly after the light turns green. Do not simply insert them in the charger and then run off to bed, planning to deal with it in the morning. If there are any suspicions, try a different charger on that battery, try a different battery on that charger, and pay attention. This will allow you to make the decisions that will prolong your battery life and safety. If in doubt, pitch it; none of it is that expensive (compared to analogs)

dandellion

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2012
Belgrade
www.acidzen.org
In theory the charger will stop charging. Thing is, you can never trust chargers and batteries, no matter the brand and price tag. Beside that, it will continue raising the temperature as there is some current going through the device even if it is "doing nothing". For the same reason, please, disconnect the chargers from the wall outlet. It's a small amount of electricity but multiply that with a huge enough number and you get the number that actually does no good to our planet for no reason at all.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I use a Twist and the Ego charger-- I leave them in a ton. Can't really overcharge them just follow basic battery charging safety (I forget). The Twist is such a great quality bat I bought the real Ego charger instead of my knock off chargers to ensure it was getting the right charge. I try to take them off when they are charged but often forget--not really a problem.

Where do you buy this real ego charger?

scalewiz

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 17, 2011
    Any vendor that sells the ego battery should also have the ego charger. I'm not saying anything about brand, necessarily, but more about current output. The 510 chargers for the smaller stick batteries may allow the ego to screw on to it, and even charge it, but the current output of the stick battery chargers is too low. I tried this out one time and the poor little charger got so hot trying to keep up with having such a large battery attached to it, that the plastic housing got soft and seriously warped. That charger went directly into the trash can.

Just make sure the charger has sufficient output. The ego charger should have about 400-450 ma output to be able to properly charge the ego batteries without overtaxing the charger. Of course, in a similar vein, do not use these higher current chargers to charge your small stick batteries. It will attempt to charge them much too rapidly and they may overheat or be damaged.

Ego rapid chargers at DV for 6 bucks. eGo/510 USB Rapid Charger - 420mAh

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    1) Always use the charger that goes with your device. Make sure you order the same one (or newer revised) if it is replaced. Polarity and such. That said...there are known compatibilities. But if you don't know, just get the proper one.
    2) All e-cig chargers that I know of auto-shut-off and then trickle charge. I've never heard of a charger that requires you to hook a multi-meter up to it to tell if it's done yet, nor have I heard of users running around with DMM's and stopwatches panicking about charge levels while charging.
    3) Malfunctions can and do happen. Mostly mis-matches, but malfunctions too. So unplug when done, IMO. Also charge in a safe place and/or use a charger bag.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2010
    Lurking in the shadows
    www.reboot-n.com
    1) Always use the charger that goes with your device. Make sure you order the same one (or newer revised) if it is replaced. Polarity and such. That said...there are known compatibilities. But if you don't know, just get the proper one.
    2) All e-cig chargers that I know of auto-shut-off and then trickle charge. I've never heard of a charger that requires you to hook a multi-meter up to it to tell if it's done yet, nor have I heard of users running around with DMM's and stopwatches panicking about charge levels while charging.
    3) Malfunctions can and do happen. Mostly mis-matches, but malfunctions too. So unplug when done, IMO. Also charge in a safe place and/or use a charger bag.

Quoted for emphasis. This is solid advice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread