Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Purer forms than NI200 of many metals are readily available.

NI200 doesn't contain chromium (hexavalent chromium isn't relevant to vaping, unless you're melting your coils) or aluminum, but that doesn't really help anyone with a nickel allergy.

There's no perfect solution.

Waiting patiently for Dr. F.

Are people with Nickel Allergies effected by Ni200 coils?

Reactions: Magaro

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
After reading this entire series of posts, I will change my methods of coil building. I will dry burn but in a darkened room so that I can detect color changes more readily, thus keeping the temperature lower. I will use a spaced coil, again with the goal being temperature reduction. I will dry burn to clean but will not rapidly cool them with water and, again, in low light in the attempt to keep the temperature low. It appears that many of the potential problems arise out of stressing metal using higher temperatures.

Have I taken away from this discussion anything of value or have I totally missed the point?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Are people with Nickel Allergies effected by Ni200 Coils?

Pick me, pick me!

Anecdotal. I know of one DNA 40 beta tester who was allergic to nickel. She had to wear gloves to build coils but had no problem vaping with nickel coils.

Don't shoot! I haven't witnessed it myself--just followed a conversation on the subject. :blush:

Reactions: Magaro

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Are people with Nickel Allergies effected by Ni200 Coils?

No. I have no scientific data, but I have seen people post here that even though they have a nickel allergy, vaping nickel has no effect on them. This, obviously, would imply that no nickel is leeching into the vapor (or at least such small amounts as to be inconsequential to an allergy).

And Evolv probably wouldn't have utilized nickel in the DNA-40 if they thought they might have a potential lawsuit on their hands. I am pretty sure they did their homework (experiments and all) in regard to this topic, though I am sure they would probably still warn "do this at your own risk."

That said, some people do claim they get a metallic taste from nickel coils which might imply something.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
After reading this entire series of posts, I will change my methods of coil building. I will dry burn but in a darkened room so that I can detect color changes more readily, thus keeping the temperature lower. I will use a spaced coil, again with the goal being temperature reduction. I will dry burn to clean but will not rapidly cool them with water and, again, in low light in the attempt to keep the temperature low. It appears that many of the potential problems arise out of stressing metal using higher temperatures.

Have I taken away from this discussion anything of value or have I totally missed the point?

I have no idea what I'm going to do--other than not heating my coils beyond red glow--I take it closer to orange/red. I use non-annealed kanthal... Should I anneal it? Pulse the coil? Throw it away?

Reactions: CMD-Ky

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
the thing im worried/interested in though, is if vaping on these wires, does a certain type of vaping give off amounts? Is there a certain way to vape to avoid all this stuff - if it even exists, and how hazardous is it to our health if we are exposed to these 'dangers'? I think the Dr. should definitely delve into this further and provide information, including different types of wire, different temperatures, resistances, power etc. For me i think there is enough 'evidence' (for lack of a better word) to justify further more in depth investigation.
I wouldn't say 'evidence', I would say 'cause for further investigation'. Definitely there should be research. I suspect Dr. F was referring to the NiChrome wire that most stock coils come with, he was talking about nickel, which isn't in Kanthal, but I'm just guessing. Hopefully Dr. F will be more forthcoming in the near future because I think he kicked up a bit of a s..t storm with his comments.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I wouldn't say 'evidence', I would say 'cause for further investigation'. Definitely there should be research. I suspect Dr. F was referring to the NiChrome wire that most stock coils come with, he was talking about nickel, which isn't in Kanthal, but I'm just guessing. Hopefully Dr. F will be more forthcoming in the near future because I think he kicked up a bit of a s..t storm with his comments.

yeah there you go, 'cause for further investigation' sounds better, I was just looking for a single word but couldnt think of it. That phrase sounds better to what I was thinking.

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
I'll go one step further and give my opinion that I too appreciate Dr. F's work. That said he is a Cardiologist that seems to have a lot of free time on his hands. The Cardiologist in the City I live in require appointments months in advance because they are so busy. Why is it that Dr. "F" has so much free time... just food for thought.
Dr Farsalinos has an academic research fellowship at the Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center. Research is his job, not something he does in his free time. He has been doing research on e-cigarettes for years.

You might want to learn how to do a little research yourself.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
Has it been studied for inhalation? I don't know. Applying something to the skin, or eating it, is very different from inhaling. Diacetyl is harmless when ingested.
Hi Katya !
I realize that I've linked you to a cosmetics website, but I think the studies mentioned and cited in the article are worth looking at. One of the studies mentioned ( Lee, Trochimowicz & Reinhardt, "Pulmonary Response of Rats Exposed to Titanium Dioxide by Inhalation for Two Years" (1985)) involved "rats chronically exposed to excessive dust loading". In contrast to the results shown in rats, the study by Warwhit (2004) involving mice and dogs showed no tumor expression (hence my joke better to be a mouse!). Reading further, disease was noted in some who handled TD on an industrial level. But that begs the question, are vapers anywhere near the equivalent to an 'industrial level' of exposure? What seems important in the long run is the particle size, then a safe level of exposure can be guestimated.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Katya !
I realize that I've linked you to a cosmetics website, but I think the studies mentioned and cited in the article are worth looking at. One of the studies mentioned ( Lee, Trochimowicz & Reinhardt, "Pulmonary Response of Rats Exposed to Titanium Dioxide by Inhalation for Two Years" (1985)) involved "rats chronically exposed to excessive dust loading". In contrast to the results shown in rats, the study by Warwhit (2004) involving mice and dogs showed no tumor expression (hence my joke better to be a mouse!). Reading further, disease was noted in some who handled TD on an industrial level. But that begs the question, are vapers anywhere near the equivalent to an 'industrial level' of exposure? What seems important in the long run is the particle size, then a safe level of exposure can be guestimated.

Thanks. As always, the dose makes the poison...

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
A molecule is a collection of a specific number of atoms that are held together by (I think) electrical forces carried by electrons. So a molecule of water is 2 hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. But there are other looser combinations of atoms, and molecules. In a crystal many atoms are linked together in a lattice of some kind. In a pure diamond all the carbon atoms are more or less evenly lined up in a 3 dimensional lattice.

That makes sense to me. Thanks Mick! I get that iron for example is an element. But with kanthal, at least from wikipedia explaination, its an iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) alloy. Wouldn't that mean it's made up from molecules?

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I think I put more weight on the scientific investigation of someone like Dr. F that has done hundreds of hours collecting and analyzing data on this subject than the people on this forum that have only watched a short video regarding some of Dr F's conclusions. I haven't seen anyone hear reference the actual data collected, much less refute the findings in the actual data. I also question the validity of many who speak as experts without verifying their academic pedigrees that would give me reason to accept the veracity of their statements.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, but I do tend to give more weight to the entities that have done the work and developed the data to support a claim being made. I also believe if Dr F were going to skew data in any direction (which I don't believe he is doing), he would do in a direction that would show vaping in the best light possible. The fact that he has come to the conclusion that there may be some inherent dangers in the way we vape make me think very strongly that there could indeed be an issue we need to be concerned with.

I'll reserve judgment for the time being, but I really haven't seen a single credible argument in this thread that leads me to believe Dr F's concerns are not warranted.

Reactions: 52anddone

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Try going to the source and emailing Dr F?

I don't know. Are you aware of the existence of any data on the subject? Any research Dr. F has done on the wires? This has already been discussed in the thread earlier--nobody has seen any data and Dr. Farsalinos hasn't presented any that we know of.

You accused us of "not referencing any data collected," hence my question. Where is that data we should be referencing or the findings we should be refuting?

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I don't know. Are you aware of the existence of any data on the subject? Any research Dr. F has done on the wires? This has already been discussed in the thread earlier--nobody has seen any data and Dr. Farsalinos hasn't presented any that we know of.

You accused us of "not referencing any data collected," hence my question. Where is that data we should be referencing or the findings we should be refuting?

I didn't accuse you of anything Katya, I said none of the arguments referenced the data of the study that the conclusions were based on. I apologize if I didn't make that perfectly clear to you. Refuting the conclusions without seeing the data and scientific process behind the data gathering is just bluster and blather, not real arguments. So either you believe this was a made up study done by Dr F, or you haven't found (or looked) for any data related to a study done, or you don't have the patience to wait until data is released to have an intelligent conversation.

If you accept a study was done, then it would follow that there was data gathered and a process followed. Until that data is analyzed and accepted or intelligently refuted I just don't see the point of arguing the study. I also made it very clear that I choose to believe the entity that did the work of the study until there is a basis to refute the data.

I also stated this as my opinion. If you don't agree... then don't. I really could care less, it's still my opinion.

Reactions: 52anddone

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I didn't accuse you of anything Katya, I said none of the arguments referenced the data of the study that the conclusions were based on. I apologize if I didn't make that perfectly clear to you. Refuting the conclusions without seeing the data and scientific process behind the data gathering is just bluster and blather, not real arguments. So either you believe this was a made up study done by Dr F, or you haven't found (or looked) for any data related to a study done, or you don't have the patience to wait until data is released to have an intelligent conversation.

If you accept a study was done, then it would follow that there was data gathered and a process followed. Until that data is analyzed and accepted or intelligently refuted I just don't see the point of arguing the study. I also made it very clear that I choose to believe the entity that did the work of the study until there is a basis to refute the data.

I also stated this as my opinion. If you don't agree... then don't. I really could care less, it's still my opinion.

What study are you referring to? That is the problem here, not that anyone doesn't trust his work, but the fact that he's making alarming statements without providing anything to back it up. If he had said: "I've started a project and the preliminary results are telling me that we should never dry burn a coil." That would be very different, and we would all be eagerly awaiting him making his data available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread