Status
Not open for further replies.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Yes, I read the entire thread....which is why I think his response to the original post should be placed below the first post, so folks don't have to be scared to death until they read the Dr's response.
I don't know any of my vaping friends who were ever scared to death but a couple of our local politicians somehow became aware of the radio interview and they are delighted to use the quote in their effort to ban vaping.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
I don't know any of my vaping friends who were ever scared to death but a couple of our local politicians somehow became aware of the radio interview and they are delighted to use the quote in their effort to ban vaping.

I should have said it's more ammo for ANTZ, without clarification, which the Dr. should have added in that radio show interview. Plus it freaked out a couple ECF members, I wasn't, but some were.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Seriously??? Already? Some astute politicians you have there in Arizona!

Do you mind telling us who said what exactly? In what context? Do you happen to have a link? Do they know who Dr. Farsalinos is? I'm amazed...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I like this comment so much that I'm going to have to take a much closer look at rayon. And that isn't easy to say, because I really like my little "boil, boil, dry" ritual with my Japanese cotton pads.

Off topic--why do you boil JOC? I find that wetting cotton makes it less fluffy and much harder to work with.

I like rayon and how it wicks, but I can taste it, alas. I much prefer my cotton. FWIW.

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
Plus it freaked out a couple ECF members,
That seems to happen more and more often around here lately. There's nothing too small that it can't be blown completely out of proportion.

Do you mind telling us who said what exactly? In what context? Do you happen to have a link? Do they know who Dr. Farsalinos is? I'm amazed...
Ditto.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

I have a pro vaping friend in the state legislature who called me and wanted to know what the hell was going on because she heard that some anti vape guys were touting disastrous inhalation of metals as a coffin nail for vaping. She has quoted positive information from ECF before in support of vaping so maybe they started monitoring forums to see what they could find. I'm not sure. I haven't seen anything public yet. I'm passing along as much information as I can to her in hopes that the situation can be defused.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I am not sure what statements Pedro has, or has not, made. Dr. Farsalino has cited him as a materials expert that he says he consulted with in support of his statements about harmful metallics being emitted from e cigarette coils by dry burning and that this is "the worst thing" we can do. It could be that Pedro is being drug backwards into a position he never took....or maybe he does agree with it. We don't know as of now. Possibly Pedro and / or Dr. Farsalino will clarify.

Yeah... That was my reading of the situation, too. Foot in mouth, clumsy damage control, a friend becomes collateral damage, his old statements (on a different subject) are being quoted out of context.. Oh, well. We'll never know.

But I do hope that Dr. F responds to your note and either clarifies or retracts his statements made in the interview. And yes, we do need more tests. :)

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
Where, one might wonder, is Dr. Farsalinos while all this transpires? He surely noticed quickly enough when we all "overreacted" to his initial apocalyptic warning...

I'm finished defending our current vaping technique against his irrelevant "opinions". As far as I'm concerned, dry burning has been acquitted based on lack of evidence. I'm going to go study Kanthal, Nichrome, Titanium, and Nickel to satisfy myself about how to best use or not use them in my coil builds. I really don't expect to find anything that will cause me any grave concern. Either way, I will be sure to post any useful data-based findings for those who may be interested.

Back to the lair...
General comments on titanium appreciated, I'm considering trying it.

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
Listen to this comment - there's a lot of wisdom in these words.

I like this comment so much that I'm going to have to take a much closer look at rayon. And that isn't easy to say, because I really like my little "boil, boil, dry" ritual with my Japanese cotton pads.
My only comments on rayon (being a convert) are this:

Next to zero issue of dry hit scorching even at nearly 100 watts dual coil.

Flavor switching is nearly instant from the time you need to drip.

Slightly slower wicking speed of absorption than japanese cotton (see the pbusardo wick test video, bring coffee lol).

Learning curve, but shape each end of the wick similar to a cheerleaders pony tail and you have the idea.

Great stuff and stupid cheap.

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
Dr. Farsalino's "response" went from a tone of "disastrous"...... "the worst thing you can do" in the radio interview ........to....."unnecessary"...."not recommended" in his blog printed comments. Not really a very definitive addressing of the statements in the original radio interview which are being quoted as a reason to ban vaping entirely.
Almost sounds "political" doesn't it...

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Yes, lots of people outside the vaping community follow ECF trends. Quotes can even be found in FDA documents from Pharmaceutical interests. It has been theorized before that some may even pay people to keep an eye on ECF posts. One should always keep in mind that this isn't a private place when posting.

Last edited:

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Off topic--why do you boil JOC? I find that wetting cotton makes it less fluffy and much harder to work with.

I like rayon and how it wicks, but I can taste it, alas. I much prefer my cotton. FWIW.

I boil my JOC for two reasons. I want to be sure it is as clean as I can get it, and the way I handle it, I personally end up with the fluffiest, best wicking cotton I've been able to find. I strip the pads into 4 layers, boil them twice with a cold rinse in between and lay them out to dry on clean kitchen towels - I never compress them. When dry they are approx. twice their original thickness. Then I tear off strips each time I rewick and gently form them into cylinders which I can point and pull through my coils. They wick like a beast.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I respect Dr. F but a metallurgist he isn't....so i will go with the opinion of the metallurgists in this thread. :)

And to not check for hot legs and even heating would more more disastrous in the long run for my vaping habit.

No disrespect to all the posters here, but how do we know anyone is a "metallurgist" here, or their qualifications and resume? Or any other claims of knowledge in this field or debate? Keep a open mind and don't take anything you read on the Internet at face value, including the doctors and self proclaimed experts. We would all like immediate answers, but the correct ones, are the only worth while ones, and they are seldom the quickest ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 39

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
No disrespect to all the posters here, but how do we know anyone is a "metallurgist" here, or their qualifications and resume? Or any other claims of knowledge in this field or debate? Keep a open mind and don't take anything you read on the Internet at face value, including the doctors and self proclaimed experts. We would all like immediate answers, but the correct ones, are the only worth while ones, and they are seldom the quickest ones.
HERE HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread