The end of microcoils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I would. Especially if it has to do with Gravity.

BTW - Here are My Qualifications...

I succumb to gravity every morning.

OH, and I have a degree in BS .... OH-wait ... That's a BS in ............ Give me a sec ... I'll get it right eventually.

Last edited:

druckle

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2013
    Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
    Dr. Farsalinos responded to my second email but included a warning stating that any public disclosure of the emails contents was prohibited. Unfortunately if he chooses not to make a public comment the issue will not be clarified for the vaping community. I'm sorry, I would like to be able to quote him but it appears that he is unwilling to allow that.

Duane

six

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2011
    under the blue sky
    Just an aside, that stuff on the coil, gunk, is loaded with oxygen molecules.

I think there might be a few OH left in that, but it's primarily C. The carbon is what makes it gunk. If there was a lot of OH left, it would remain chained H-C-C-C-OH and therefore still be viscous.

Reactions: beckdg

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Dr. Farsalinos responded to my second email but included a warning stating that any public disclosure of the emails contents was prohibited. Unfortunately if he chooses not to make a public comment the issue will not be clarified for the vaping community. I'm sorry, I would like to be able to quote him but it appears that he is unwilling to allow that.

Duane
    Without getting into it, are you satisfied with his response?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Duane

I respect you Honoring his request to Not Post his Private Conversation with You.

:thumb:

Magaro

ECF Veteran
    Mar 7, 2015
    Corning, NY, USA
    No disrespect to all the posters here, but how do we know anyone is a "metallurgist" here, or their qualifications and resume? Or any other claims of knowledge in this field or debate? Keep a open mind and don't take anything you read on the Internet at face value, including the doctors and self proclaimed experts. We would all like immediate answers, but the correct ones, are the only worth while ones, and they are seldom the quickest ones.

It's good to be skeptical. Heck, this is the interwebs - it's a necessity. Speaking only for myself, there's no good reason you should believe anything I present as an opinion. If I state something as a fact, you should check its validity. Google is your friend. I'm not selling a Metallurgical Engineering service here, so I can't imagine why I would want to post my CV.

Seriously, it doesn't require a PhD Metallurgical Engineer (which I am, believe me or not, I really don't care) to evaluate Dr. F's remarks about "molecular breakdown" (whatever he called it - I don't feel like going back to check) of coil alloys. The fact that several people felt qualified to argue that metal alloys DO contain molecules shows an unwillingness to take ownership of their own responsible vaping. They want to be spoon fed easy answers, blissfully unaware of the complex reality lying beneath the surface of the choices they make. Or maybe they just like to debate, whether they're qualified to participate in the discussion or not. After what is now 30 pages of dialog it should be clear to anyone who has followed this thread that there will be NO unanimous decisions made about the safety of dry burning ANY coil. Everyone concerned about this issue has to consider however much (or as little) evidence they require and make their own choices.

Gotta go walk the dog and do a little vaping.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
    Mar 7, 2015
    Corning, NY, USA
    Maybe this thread has gone on too long? I think that until a certified metallurgist steps in with verifiable credentials to satisfy us all, if that's possible, we are all gonna go with what we think is best after having read thru what is here now.

Which is what you should do, anyway. It's your health. You owe it to yourself to make an educated decision.

Reactions: Cacique

Magaro

ECF Veteran
    Mar 7, 2015
    Corning, NY, USA
    We all come from different backgrounds, and bring different perspectives to the table. But in the end, as I stated before, it's in our best interest to pose any question to the proper scientists. Probably not a good idea to ask a cardiologist about advanced metallurgy, regardless of how good that cardiologist is.

So which Stellite is best suited for a knife blade? :lol:
    Which Stellite is best suited for an exhaust valve?

The problem is, it's pretty easy to go get some very sound inputs for your Stellite questions from provable expert sources, including the Stellite Group at Kennametal (thanks, Google). But dry burning vaping coils? Good luck. Meaningful answers have to be pieced together from a loose agglomeration of facts.

Vwls

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2013
    AZ
    Dear friends:

I am posting this on behalf of Pedro Carvalho; he asked me to do so, so as to shed some light on this discussion. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-----------

I'm Pedro Miguel Carvalho the material scientist that wrote a post together with Dr Farsalinos.

In that text, there are some less-than accurate statements. I assume the responsibility (and I apologize) because Dr. Farsalinos sent me the text to participate on it, and I didn't read the whole thing with the proper care.

IMO we could move forward and have a great discussion about this theme. Obviously the bulk of resistive wire will change with a heat treatment, increase of grain size, solid solution, crystallization or re-crystallization, etc. In any case, this IMO does not present any concern. What could represent a problem is the formation of oxides layer in the surface of the metal/alloy. The thickness and composition of this layer will depend on the temperature and duration of the heat treatment and type of resistive wire. In some cases like kanthal, a "light" heat treatment can be beneficial, but a longer heat treatment can eliminate the oxide protection layer. This frontier is very narrow, so it is difficult to recommend a specific "light " heat treatment.

Alloys that contain Al or Ti present a oxide layer that protects against deeper oxidation. In the case of nickel chromium wire, the benefits of a cleaning heat treatment should be compared with the possibility of formation of hexavalent chromium. In principle, hexavalent chromium formation requires a higher temperature than 1000 Celsius degrees, but without scientific data, we cannot exclude this possibility.

Any heat treatment that causes the coil to turn red can easily exceed 900 Celsius degrees; this promotes the formation of an oxide layer (inclusively destroying the protective layer as aluminum oxide or titanium oxide). Since we have no scientific data regarding composition/adhesion, or the possible reactions of this oxide layer with the high variety of juices, IMO if its use could be avoided, in general, it would be beneficial.

Soon I will start a start a study to determine the dependence of temperature/duration of the heat treatment on the composition, thickness and adhesion of these oxide layers. I have always believed that is better to be safe than sorry, and given in the lack of scientific data, I would recommend minimizing all heat treatment to any resistive wire, and avoiding extended and repetitive heat treatment. It will be a pleasure to further discuss this theme. Here is my contact: pmcbfcarvalho@gmail.com. Kind regards to all.

Pedro

Magaro

ECF Veteran
    Mar 7, 2015
    Corning, NY, USA
    Dear friends:

I am posting this on behalf of Pedro Carvalho; he asked me to do so, so as to shed some light on this discussion. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-----------

I'm Pedro Miguel Carvalho the material scientist that wrote a post together with Dr Farsalinos.

In that text, there are some less-than accurate statements. I assume the responsibility (and I apologize) because Dr. Farsalinos sent me the text to participate on it, and I didn't read the whole thing with the proper care.

IMO we could move forward and have a great discussion about this theme. Obviously the bulk of resistive wire will change with a heat treatment, increase of grain size, solid solution, crystallization or re-crystallization, etc. In any case, this IMO does not present any concern. What could represent a problem is the formation of oxides layer in the surface of the metal/alloy. The thickness and composition of this layer will depend on the temperature and duration of the heat treatment and type of resistive wire. In some cases like kanthal, a "light" heat treatment can be beneficial, but a longer heat treatment can eliminate the oxide protection layer. This frontier is very narrow, so it is difficult to recommend a specific "light " heat treatment.

Alloys that contain Al or Ti present a oxide layer that protects against deeper oxidation. In the case of nickel chromium wire, the benefits of a cleaning heat treatment should be compared with the possibility of formation of hexavalent chromium. In principle, hexavalent chromium formation requires a higher temperature than 1000 Celsius degrees, but without scientific data, we cannot exclude this possibility.

Any heat treatment that causes the coil to turn red can easily exceed 900 Celsius degrees; this promotes the formation of an oxide layer (inclusively destroying the protective layer as aluminum oxide or titanium oxide). Since we have no scientific data regarding composition/adhesion, or the possible reactions of this oxide layer with the high variety of juices, IMO if its use could be avoided, in general, it would be beneficial.

Soon I will start a start a study to determine the dependence of temperature/duration of the heat treatment on the composition, thickness and adhesion of these oxide layers. I have always believed that is better to be safe than sorry, and given in the lack of scientific data, I would recommend minimizing all heat treatment to any resistive wire, and avoiding extended and repetitive heat treatment. It will be a pleasure to further discuss this theme. Here is my contact: pmcbfcarvalho@gmail.com. Kind regards to all.

Pedro

I don't know where to start. Don't think I will right now. Which I'm sure several (if not more) of you will appreciate.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Dear friends:

-----------

Thank you for Posting this Vwls.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Dear friends:

Thank you Vwls and Pedro.

Discussion is always good and testing is indeed needed.

Good luck!

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2012
    Texas
    Did anyone notice that there is a new user, named "Pedro Carvalho", who joined e-cigarette-forum tonight? And he is currently watching this thread? Probably just some troll...
    You do understand that Suppliers aren't allowed to post in this section of the Forum, right?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread