The Fail Box

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by TommyG, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyG

TommyG Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm one of those people who sees all these cool mods people make, and wants to either do the same, or recreate what he sees. I'm usually fine at getting holes drilled, and I'm pretty good at getting a nice layout for everything. Once I go to solder anything that needs soldering in the box I'm prone to burning/melting the side of the box, so I get nice boxes with big divits on one side. I've had a few times where I get everything put together only to find out the connector has a permanent short reading in the mega ohms. I can never get the window for DVI's to look right, I've ruined a few mods and batteries via glue.

So after cooling down after a few hours wasted I told my Wife I was just going to make a fail box if I couldn't get my next mod right. So here I am lol. The fail box is wooden so it wont melt, simple so I don't have too much to mess up, and big so I'm not working around the box to make everything fit...when I say big I mean it's on the verge of unwieldy for the car, but it is made for travel.

When I started this mod it was based solely off one feature I wanted, I had recently bought a 26650 battery that I really really wanted to use, so I found I had no flashlights and only one smallish box that would fit one. A modded X-Acto kit case I hadn't used in some time.

IMG_20120126_091811.jpg

Once I got an idea for how to do the electronics I quickly took care of that, and had to figure out what to do with the rest of the space I had. Those of you who know me will also know that I have something of a knack for finding/making things into cases for my gear, so I put my main strength to use in making a mod.

The Fail Box

IMG_20120412_212326.jpg

The Fail Box is very classy

IMG_20120412_212334.jpg

You'll be the envy of all your vaping friends,
    and a few who don't vape.

IMG_20120412_212410.jpg

It has some decent built in storage,
    with the right set up it could literally
    go for a week or two on it's own.

IMG_20120412_212234.jpg

The Fail Box, by TommyG

2. slimest

slimest Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Great suitcase! Rambo surviving kit :D

3. TommyG

Thank ya, forgot to put the actual dimensions up. The Fail Box is 7 5/8" X 4 7/8" X 1 3/4", the 3 compartments around the battery can each hold a 6 mil tank, a 18650 battery, or about 6 cartos (2 rows of 3).

I want to change the switch over to something silver and flat, like this
    Pushbutton.jpg

4. slimest

Hope, you dont mind: I put your pictures to my small russian-speaking e-cig forum. Very nice and funny design :)

About the switch - good decision, it looks strange with the red button. Anyway, this is The Fail Box, so...
    What about a leather lanyard? :lol:
    My friend suggested to add a solar cell to the mod :)

5. TommyG

If I were to put a lanyard on it would be a small shoulder strap lol, and a solar cell would be hilarious.

I think it's great someone got a kick out of this besides me, and feel free to post it wherever.

6. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

The flatter switch will make it much easier to slip into the pocket. It reminds me of a Radio Shack Electronics Kit from back in the day, "150 vapes in 1" :)

7. aziffel

aziffel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

They ain't no fail in that box!Dam its big!

8. slimest

It's damn big and great! Really fresh thing here :D

9. WillyB

WillyB Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Pretty cool.

The only thing I see as a FAIL is what looks like a Palight 26650.

10. classwife

classwife Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Actually...I really like it !!

It has it all...

Do change the switch, I think it will look great !

I see tons of decorating options for this :lol:

11. CountSmackula

CountSmackula Genisis Junkie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nice box! Looks like an elevator call button.

12. TommyG

Thanks for all the great feedback, my Wife went to college for art and wants to decorate it for me. I have to ask, what's wrong with the Palight battery? Hope it's not too bad.

13. northhar

northhar Super Member ECF Veteran

I like it.
    I especially like the fact you used a washer to help hold the connector, good move.
    Storage for PV accessories solved..:)

14. BuzzKilla

BuzzKilla Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If Bear Grylls vaped, this would be his go to PV...
    And if he ran out of juice, he would just pee in a tank.
    cuz that is just how Bear Grylls rolls!

15. BJ43

BJ43 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  16. TommyG

I've seen a few things around that should work for the button, floating around .86 inches I believe. I'm also going to see if I cant get the outside painted up and clear coated. If I do I'll get pics posted.

Edit:

Specifically these

Button 1.jpg
    Button 2.jpg

For less than 4$ each.

17. LucentShadow

LucentShadow Super Member ECF Veteran

Reading this thread was definitely the best thing I've done in what was otherwise a fairly crappy day. :D

That thing is friggin' awesome! It's a carry case that you can vape with! I've got to add that to my list, now.

You should seriously post that in this thread, too:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...how-do-you-carry-your-device-post-pics-8.html

Seriously. :2cool: Great post, and great job. I agree with the sentiment about the sleek and shiny button, too.

18. TommyG

Well this thread has made me feel pretty good about this thing, and I've decided to spread the word a little bit, just to brighten whoevers day lol. Born from plenty of bad days, but so far it's been worth it...just wish I would have started with this instead of all the failed attempts before.

19. TommyG

The fail box has given me inspiration, so I'm building a few mods based off the concept (nicer mods lol) of a PV that carries my cartos/tanks/whatever. Buttons arrive tomorrow, both pictured above actually, when I get them together I'll post them here...maybe before I finish and lacquer them.

20. Roxxette

Roxxette Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Man you should name these "the traveler" or "The nomad"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.