Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Some of their flavors do this. Blueberry Candy turns a milky white kinda color when I used to use it. Takes about a week of "steeping" and the juice will turn clear again. At first I was scared it was eating plastic but it vaped fine and didn't kill me so..

Many of the so called tank crackers are not water soluble and will turn cloudy when mixed. I mentioned this above, but members are still asking about it. Mix the flavor in PG and it will either eliminate this problem, or allow it to clear much faster than a week. Alternatively, as you suggest, just allow it to sit and it will eventually clear on its own. It is not a problem. I wish ITtechy will weigh in on this. He's the resident chemist and knows this stuff cold. Where are you Ittechy when we need you? :toast: :D

:2cool: :vapor:

Last edited:
I've been trying to work with some of the less common fruits that TPA produces. I have found that Boysenberry is a extremely powerful flavor. When making a fruit vape, I limit Boysenberry to 5% of the mix.

My current mix(all TFA):
Boysenberry Dream

BoysenBerry 5 %
Sweetener 3 %
Sweet Cream 5 %
Bavarian Cream 3 %
Vanilla Swirl 2 %
Vanilla CupCake 2 %

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
I have something happening that has me totally dumbfounded. My sisters favorite juice is Bills' Fire and Ice. The first time I made it for her I didn't have Cotton Candy so subbed EM for it. It was crystal clear. The next time I made it I had the Cotton Candy so followed the recipe to a tee. It turned milky (almost white). I thought, OK, something must be wrong with the Cotton Candy.

I mixed up some of the Cotton Candy all by itself and it came out crystal clear so decided it wasn't the problem. The next time I made Fire and Ice it turned out perfect (crystal Clear). Then she needed more so back to mix some up for her and milky again :facepalm: During all this time I had made lots of other flavors and all turned out just as they should, including some Black Licorice. Got down to needing to make more black licorice and it turned milky.

I am at a total loss as to what in the world is going on. The main problem is I NEVER know when it is going to happen. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to what is causing it.

Has this happened to any of y'all? all of my flavorings are TFA flavors.

Okay ....

Without looking at all the flavors and what not...

Basic chemistry 101

Water and oil don't mix...:blink:

No there's no "oil " per say but here is a trick that can be applied to any compounding:

This can happen to any e-liquid you make when one of the components does not mix with the others.

Most if not all flavors will mix properly with PG, but not with VG, so here is what you do:

Mix all ingredients less you VG and thoroughly mix, 99% of the time there will be no issues, then add your VG last.

If your NIC is VG based this applies too, do not add it until after you have combined all the other ingredients.

The problem occurs from the water in the VG and certain components that naturally will not combine together. like gasoline and water!

If you add alcohol into the gasoline, it will bond with the water and make what's called a soluble solution and now the water will mix with the gasoline!

Likewise in e-liquids the same principal applies; you can also mix all components and figure in about 3-5% PGA which will help the ingredients to mix, then lastly add your VG', TADA!

No Clouds or mixture separation! :thumb:

:toast:

P.S. It's probably the order you mix the ingredients in....

Last edited:

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Many of the so called tank crackers are not water soluble and will turn cloudy when mixed. I mentioned this above, but members are still asking about it. Mix the flavor in PGA and it will either eliminate this problem, or allow it to clear much faster than a week. Alternatively, as you suggest, just allow it to sit and it will eventually clear on its own. It is not a problem. I wish ITtechy will weigh in on this. He's the resident chemist and knows this stuff cold. Where are you Ittechy when we need you? :toast: :D

I wasss...wassss mixing in the lab and sampling the PGA.....BURP!

*answered above*....:thumb:

BTW: For those of you under 40, the above pictured comedian' name is Foster Brooks.

He played a drunk, and was remarkable! Check him out on Youtube!

He passed away in 2001...He was hysterical!

Last edited:
Reactions: Debadoo

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Many of the so called tank crackers are not water soluble and will turn cloudy when mixed. I mentioned this above, but members are still asking about it. Mix the flavor in PGA and it will either eliminate this problem, or allow it to clear much faster than a week. Alternatively, as you suggest, just allow it to sit and it will eventually clear on its own. It is not a problem. I wish ITtechy will weigh in on this. He's the resident chemist and knows this stuff cold. Where are you Ittechy when we need you? :toast: :D

I understand what you are saying Bill and I know I have had that happen with Mango. My quandary is that even with the exact same flavorings, one time my mix will be crystal clear and then the next time it will be milky. Allowing it to sit doesn't clear it up. I have let one mix set for over 2 weeks and it is still milky. According to sis the milky fire and ice taste fine so there is that. I would just like to understand what is happening, would like to find a way to prevent it and wondered if it had happened to anyone else.

PS: You would think, if it is one of the flavorings causing it, it would happen EVERY time.

Last edited:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Okay ....

Basic chemistry 101

No there's no "oil " per say but here is a trick that can be applied to any compounding:

This can happen to any e-liquid you make when one of the components does not mix with the others.

Most if not all flavors will mix properly with PG, but not with VG, so here is what you do:

Mix all ingredients less you VG and thoroughly mix, 99% of the time there will be no issues, then add your VG last.

If your NIC is VG based this applies too, do not add it until after you have combined all the other ingredients.

The problem occurs from the water in the VG and certain components that naturally will not combine together. like gasoline and water!

If you add alcohol into the gasoline, it will bond with the water and make what's called a soluble solution and now the water will mix with the gasoline!

Likewise in e-liquids the same principal applies; you can also mix all components and figure in about 3-5% PGA which will help the ingredients to mix, then lastly add your VG', TADA!

Interesting suggestion, and one that I have always used myself. I vape with a 30/70 PG/VG ratio, and almost always mix the 30% PG ingredients first, then add the 70% VG portion, of which I always use PG nicotine. While this has worked well for me, I have had times when I got a cloudy mix, and this may be due to the order of the mix, i.e., mixing the VG nicotine first, as it often appears on my calculator, then the PG on top of it, then the VG. I believe that could have been the cause of the cloudiness, but it happens rarely, because of the way I mix. I often mix only the PG components and don't add the VG until later, sometimes much later. If you've read my earliest posts, I made all my 30% PG flavorings in large quantities and only added the VG much later so I could control the amount of nicotine. Once upon a time, in my own household, three vapers all vaped with different nicotine amounts, so this method solved the problem. As I recall, I never had problems with the VG that was added later. So, I think I can say with some degree of certainty that your suggestion to change the order of ingredients mixed, i.e., PG first, then the VG later, has been born out of my own experiences. You should write a blog on these chemistry issues, my friend. Just press blog this post, and its all but done! :toast: :D

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ah ha, that could very well be the problem. I always add my flavors, then my nic (50pg/50vg) then the VG. I don't always shake (mix well) the flavors before adding my nic and then vg.

Thank you guys. I think you have saved my sanity. This one really had me scratching my head.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Okay ....

Basic chemistry 101

You are the man :toast: I am sure you have solved my problem. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I wasss...wassss mixing in the lab and sampling the PGA.....BURP!

*answered above*....:thumb:

BTW: For those of you under 40, the above pictured comedian' name is Foster Brooks.

He played a drunk, and was remarkable! Check him out on Youtube!

He passed away in 2001...He was hysterical!

I loved seeing him when he'd crash Johnny Carson's show... he was hilarious, and watching Johnny crack up was even better. :D

Andria

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
I wanna share sumpt'im with ya'll!

I love to shop!

But I'm a cheapskate!

WOOT

I've been buying from WOOT for years!

They were acquired by Slamazon about 2 years ago, and the only difference is they don't accept PayPal now, and they collect tax for the states (the same one's Amazon collects for).

Still GREAT deals and a flat $5.00 shipping no matter how many items you buy, or their size!

Daily they feature 12 items that will be on sales for 24 hrs., or until sold out; if a featured item sells out they list something else.

In the sub-categories they have a plethora of items that are usually up for 4 to 7 days or until sold out!

Check it out!

Last edited:

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
it'll be a whole lot easier to make the recipe. Not everyone can figure out the percentages with the information you provided.

Thanks for your response Bill. As for the percentages, I do usually write out my recipes that way. However in this case this was not my recipe and that is how I found it online - in mls. I was just too lazy to work it all out since actually a few of the flavours were just drops. :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Didn't Johnny Carson and Dean Martin tape in the same studio?

I think that's why Foster used to drop in....?

No idea. I know Johnny was with NBC; I started watching Letterman when his show used to follow Johnny's, within a year or two of when his show first came on -- and now he's retiring, wahhhhhhhhhhh... Letterman was the funny, edgy young guy for those of us who didn't mind staying up late... and now he's an old fart like the rest of us Boomers. :D

Andria

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
No idea. I know Johnny was with NBC; I started watching Letterman when his show used to follow Johnny's, within a year or two of when his show first came on -- and now he's retiring, wahhhhhhhhhhh... Letterman was the funny, edgy young guy for those of us who didn't mind staying up late... and now he's an old fart like the rest of us Boomers. :D

Andria

Too Funny

I think Dean Drunk Martin was also NBC....

A yup...he was on NBC (checked the net)

His show was on 10 years, and an additional 10 of the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts 1965-1985

He passed away in 1995

I have a pretty good memory for a IT engineer...:p

Yeah Foster was great!

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Well... to draaaag this back somewhat toward the topic... :D I finally got some of that DX Banana Cream, so today I'm trying a new iteration of my "flamingo fantastique" -- many thanks to Bill for his original flamingo and creme fantastico recipes! It uses flavors from pretty much everywhere, (well maybe not everywhere... solid TFA cream/vanilla base, but the only fruit that's TFA is the blueberry extra and dx banana cream -- strawberry, peach, and coconut from INW) so I probably won't post the recipe here. Once the new software gets going, I was thinking that for these few I've created, I should put them in a blog post.

Andria

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Well... to draaaag this back somewhat toward the topic... :D I finally got some of that DX Banana Cream, so today I'm trying a new iteration of my "flamingo fantastique" -- many thanks to Bill for his original flamingo and creme fantastico recipes! It uses flavors from pretty much everywhere, (well maybe not everywhere... solid TFA cream/vanilla base, but the only fruit that's TFA is the blueberry extra and dx banana cream -- strawberry, peach, and coconut from INW) so I probably won't post the recipe here. Once the new software gets going, I was thinking that for these few I've created, I should put them in a blog post.

Andria

Do both! Post away my dear. We all benefit from everyone sharing their creations. I, for one, would love to see your juice! :toast: :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Do both! Post away my dear. We all benefit from everyone sharing their creations. I, for one, would love to see your juice! :toast: :D

Okiedoke, thx! I'm about to start a load of laundry, my husband's work jeans just refuse to get into the washing machine without my supervision :D and then I'll be starting on that new mix -- got up a bit earlier than usual today so I could get breakfast and dishes done by some reasonable hour -- I'm usually still cooking my breakfast at this hour! :lol:

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread