hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I'd say that about 70-80% of my flavors are TFA but I've just recently started getting more of different brands. I've gotten into a rut and haven't mixed anything new in a while and have some other brand flavors that I haven't even tried yet from a couple different orders.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I'm reading a lot of familiar themes tonight/this morning; I'm in the recipe rut too (like hittman). I have about 280 different flavor concentrates after mixing for 2(ish) years. About 50-55% are TFA. The balance are spread amongst 9 additional manufacturers.
    I started with TFA and LorAnn because that was what my one local brick and mortar carried; then I found ECF -> which lead to the TFA/TFA recipe forums. I quickly became a groupie of @Bill's Magic Vapor as he explained things in a way that made sense to me. He explained that he was content with TFA and felt no need to pursue other manufacturers. I liked the idea of simplicity and adapted a similar philosophy. It worked well enough in the beginning.
    It wasn't until I started hording recipes (especially outside of the TFA recipes thread) that I learned there were other manufacturers that made good flavors too. Then I started to chase after those flavors that TFA did OK... but not great. I went on the hunt for the perfect watermelon, mango, lemon, and strawberry. I must have bought at least 5 different manufacturers of each one. Some were better, some about the same, and some not as good. Then I learned about blending like flavors to create a multi-mfg. "hybrid." Some of those were wonderful... others I wouldn't use as paint stripper. And others still continue to elude me.
    As @I'mnotZak already said; that's the fun (at least for me), the creating, adapting, learning, and adapting some more, of DIY!:D

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I'm reading a lot of familiar themes tonight/this morning; I'm in the recipe rut too (like hittman). I have about 280 different flavor concentrates after mixing for 2(ish) years. About 50-55% are TFA. The balance are spread amongst 9 additional manufacturers.
    I started with TFA and LorAnn because that was what my one local brick and mortar carried; then I found ECF -> which lead to the TFA/TFA recipe forums. I quickly became a groupie of @Bill's Magic Vapor as he explained things in a way that made sense to me. He explained that he was content with TFA and felt no need to pursue other manufacturers. I liked the idea of simplicity and adapted a similar philosophy. It worked well enough in the beginning.
    It wasn't until I started hording recipes (especially outside of the TFA recipes thread) that I learned there were other manufacturers that made good flavors too. Then I started to chase after those flavors that TFA did OK... but not great. I went on the hunt for the perfect watermelon, mango, lemon, and strawberry. I must have bought at least 5 different manufacturers of each one. Some were better, some about the same, and some not as good. Then I learned about blending like flavors to create a multi-mfg. "hybrid." Some of those were wonderful... others I wouldn't use as paint stripper. And others still continue to elude me.
    As @I'mnotZak already said; that's the fun (at least for me), the creating, adapting, learning, and adapting some more, of DIY!:D
    Then I learned about blending like flavors to create a multi-mfg. "hybrid."

Hey, I like that definition. LOL

:D

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I have more flavors than I care to admit but am currently trying to vape the ejuice I already have on hand so I am not making any more until my 'stash' gets considerably lower. I hate to waste or throw any away and most of them are already in my all day vape routine. Gawd, I made upwards of 250ml batches of several of my favs......so its gonna take a bit to get through. :facepalm::facepalm:

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member

@IDJoel, this is an outstanding post that in my opinion most likely will represent many mixer's journey in DIY. Your post is very close to my journey in DIY with exceptions that I am approaching one year of mixing, my inventory is very light on LorAnn flavorings, and I'm not quite at 280 flavors but fear I am approaching the 200 mark...:shock: I do find myself placing a flavoring order just about weekly due to my near daily habit of browsing recipe sites and forums and gaining motivation to try new mixes and flavors. A recipe for Gingerbread ice cream is the latest example. For me, the fun really began when the fear and uncertainty of mixing ended!

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    haha came back to this thread for the first time in quite awhile to read others speaking what was on my mind. I have branched out into other flavorings too. My thrill is not in the developing (I let others more experienced than I do that) but in the actual making of a juice (by a recipe sent to me) and realizing I spent so much money buying bad juice for so long when it is so easy to mix. I thank my lucky stars and God daily for friends that send me recipes ;)

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    haha came back to this thread for the first time in quite awhile to read others speaking what was on my mind. I have branched out into other flavorings too. My thrill is not in the developing (I let others more experienced than I do that) but in the actual making of a juice (by a recipe sent to me) and realizing I spent so much money buying bad juice for so long when it is so easy to mix. I thank my lucky stars and God daily for friends that send me recipes ;)

It's just plain good to be your friend!;)

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    I realize the main subject of this tread is TFA. But ...
    Even though I've been vaping for seven years my experience in mixology is just about nonexistent. I tried it years ago and got discouraged after several unvapable creations. I'm getting back into it now out of the desire to save money.

I'm using Rod Brown's Juice Calculator. Before I found it, I'd created a comparatively crude Excel sheet for the purpose.

I've got 63 flavorings from a half dozen manufacturers and planning to buy more, after I collect more recipes and try to narrow things down a bit ... can't buy 'em all. I've also got beakers, pipettes, syringes, and other mixing paraphernalia. I've got some 100ml and 250ml brown glass bottles, but I'm short on the 30ml bottles. Wishing now that I had saved more of them from my years of buying commercially mixed juices.

All that said {sorry} my main question is: Do I really need to have a half dozen of the same flavor from a half dozen different manufacturers? Most recipes I've seen specify the provider, even when that recipe uses flavoring from an assortment of suppliers. I assume this is because each of my versions of caramel has different potency.
    How does a person know how much to use if, say, Blackberry is called for but the brand of Blackberry you have on hand isn't the same brand as the recipe calls for? Or is this something that can only be determined by trial & error, with the likelihood of wasting some juice in the process?

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    Even though I've been vaping for seven years my experience in mixology is just about nonexistent. I tried it years ago and got discouraged after several unvapable creations. I'm getting back into it now out of the desire to save money.

I'm using Rod Brown's Juice Calculator. Before I found it, I'd created a comparatively crude Excel sheet for the purpose.

I've got 63 flavorings from a half dozen manufacturers and planning to buy more, after I collect more recipes and try to narrow things down a bit ... can't buy 'em all. I've also got beakers, pipettes, syringes, and other mixing paraphernalia. I've got some 100ml and 250ml brown glass bottles, but I'm short on the 30ml bottles. Wishing now that I had saved more of them from my years of buying commercially mixed juices.

All that said {sorry} my main question is: Do I really need to have a half dozen of the same flavor from a half dozen different manufacturers? Most recipes I've seen specify the provider, even when that recipe uses flavoring from an assortment of suppliers. I assume this is because each of my versions of caramel has different potency.
    How does a person know how much to use if, say, Blackberry is called for but the brand of Blackberry you have on hand isn't the same brand as the recipe calls for? Or is this something that can only be determined by trial & error, with the likelihood of wasting some juice in the process?

I do substitutions all the time, even more so now that I am switching to RF SC flavorings which use a much lower total percentage. There is a popular e liquid recipe site that has suggested percentages from users for mixing and standalone recipes you can use if you can't find suggested use percents on the manufacturer's site.

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    ^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

It is trial and error to find the flavor and brand that you like the most. Then, you can make the appropriate substitutions. This has worked out for me the majority of the time. Once you do make that substitution, you are no longer mixing the exact recipe as intended by the creator. Does that really matter? IMO, not at all as long as it tastes good to you.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    ^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

It is trial and error to find the flavor and brand that you like the most. Then, you can make the appropriate substitutions. This has worked out for me the majority of the time. Once you do make that substitution, you are no longer mixing the exact recipe as intended by the creator. Does that really matter? IMO, not at all as long as it tastes good to you.
    I forgot to mention a handy site/calculator I use now when converting tfa type recipes that use such a high percentage total to an all RF SC recipe that generally does well around 3.5% total:
    - e-liquid Scripts - Cosmic Calculator
    -

plug in your desired total flavoring percent and the percents for each of the original flavors and you will get the new flavors broken down proportionally

meh, hate that built in media link that inserts the spreadsheet, here is a direct link to the google doc if you want to download the spreadsheet.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I hate to waste or throw any away and most of them are already in my all day vape routine.
    I'm with ya on that Sugar. As long as it is vapable; I won't throw it out. To me it is akin to throwing out perfectly edible food. Something inside me says it is not only wasteful but also morally irresponsible. ;)
    my inventory is very light on LorAnn flavorings
    To my way of thinking; you are not missing out on much. Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge (and respect) LA for being one of the early sources for the first DIYers, that just weren't happy with the flavor extracts they were able to get from their local super market.

However they have never shown an interest in catering to the e-liquid segment of the potential flavoring market. Their selection is rather small by today's rule (especially when you factor out nearly half that are oil-based and completely inappropriate for vaping), they still use lots of artificial dyes in many of their mixes, and most of what's left is rather middle-of-the-road as far as my palate is concerned.

But they, like many others, do have their winners. For example: Cream Cheese frosting will always have a place in my stash. :D
    My thrill is not in the developing (I let others more experienced than I do that)

Not to worry; this thread is one of the loosest I am aware of when it comes to what is/is not "on topic" (not to be confused with the TFA recipe thread which tries to stay pretty much on point with dominantly TFA recipes). Most of us try to self regulate and not start anything that can't be applied to TFA, or is likely to permanently derail the thread.

I am realize you have been part of the ECF community W A Y longer than I have, but I will say it anyway for the benefit of newer participants, who might be trying to decide where the best place to ask a question, that might also read this;
    The benefits of starting a new thread (with an accurate descriptive title) is that it can likely reach a broader segment of the community... and therefore get more (and possibly more helpful) responses; post a new question or topic on an existing thread can limit your potential audience (especially a large, long running thread, like this TFA thread) because there may be many who have chosen to "ignore" the thread thinking it is ONLY about TFA; and lastly, your own thread (with a well described title) being newly started gets it placed to the head of the list of available threads and acts as kind of a spot light to help draw attention (and hopefully participation) to it. :)
    Do I really need to have a half dozen of the same flavor from a half dozen different manufacturers?
    Need to? No. Like most everything else in DIY; it comes down to what you want from your DIY experience, and personal preference and palate.

My DIY journey has lead me to the current position that "it depends." It depends on the particular flavor and what I am wanting the flavor to do for me. If I am looking at caramels; just about any caramel will do. I am not a caramel fanatic and I do not make caramel centered/focused recipes. I do use caramels rather frequently to add support and depth to other focus points.

Now, when I compare that to my use of mango, or lemon, or watermelon, or custard (all "quests" I have been on/am still on), I wasn't satisfied with just "good enough." I wanted what I thought those flavors should taste like to be reflected in my juice.

The sent me into "research" mode. I entered words and phrases into the search bar and read the results, I read threads, asked questions, read flavor reviews on forums, blogs and vendor sites.

Then, when I felt like I had a handle on what other DIYers thought of specific flavors, and which ones might be the better fits for me, I would order my top two or three choices. IN MINIMUM (tester-size) QUANTITIES.

Then I will spend some time with each candidate, as a stand-alone/single flavor, to get to know what it tastes like to me and at what percentage I like it best at.

Only then will I have an idea of whether it is going to help me achieve my goals.
    Most recipes I've seen specify the provider, even when that recipe uses flavoring from an assortment of suppliers.
    Correct (and that is considered good manners to include mfg. info. ;)). As @I'mnotZak already said; if I want to taste what the recipe creator intended... my best bet is to use his/her ingredients. I can make something just as good, or even better, but it won't be the same.
    I assume this is because each of my versions of caramel has different potency.
    Yes and no. Potency can be a factor; but so is taste. Think of it like all the different varieties of apples you can find in a grocery store. They are indeed all apple, and they can all be eaten, but most taste different (some more/some less) than the others, some suit different purposes better (Granny Smiths are great for baking but bake a Red Delicious and you end up with a piecrust full of soupy applesauce).

So just because 4 different manufacturers make a "Caramel Candy" it doesn't mean they are going to taste alike (or even similar). Besides one being more potent than another; you might find one works better with tobacco recipes, while another works better with creams. And, you can go even further if you want, and find that Caramel Candy from mfg. A tastes best with Custard from mfg. B, while Caramel Candy from mfg. C tasted best with Custard from mfg. D.

It all depends on what you want out of it.
    You can have a head start if you are familiar with both the suggested flavor as well as the one you want to sub with.

I am making a recipe that calls for 4% Blackberry (mfg. A) as one of its ingredients.
    I want to sub Blackberry (mfg. B).

I know I like Blackberry (mfg.A) best at 7% (as a stand-alone), while I like Blackberry (mfg. B) best at 3.5% (also as a stand alone). So I can say I like B compared to A at roughly half the percentage. It is not the specific percentages of each that is important as much as it is the ratio between the two percentages.

Using that as a ballpark guide I might try beginning substituting B for A, in the recipe at half the amount called for. So, in the fictional case I started with where it is calling for Blackberry (mfg. A) at 4%, I would start by subbing 2% (or half) of Blackberry (mfg. B), and then adjust from there once I have tasted it.

Just remember, whenever you are trying something new, mix in small quantities so you are not wasting a lot of resources, and take LOTS of notes so you know what did AND didn't work AND why. Being able to repeat your creations (or avoid repeating the failures), and understanding why it was a success or failure, will make you a better mixer more quickly with fewer frustrations, and hopefully make it a more enjoyable experience.

Of course, there are also those DIYers who find that all much too tedious, and simply want something that tastes good. They read a recipe, it sounds good, they don't care about whether they are "duplicating" the recipe or "getting it exact," and they are content with hit/miss outcomes and can easily shrug off the misses. This is more of a "seat of your pants" style of mixing.

One is no more "right" than the other; other than how well it works for you. I have always been a person who has to know the "whys" of everything so "seat of the pants" is too frustrating for me. But I know many successful, happy, DIYers that do exactly that. You just need to discover what works best for you.

Best wishes on your own journey of discovery! :D

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    To my way of thinking; you are not missing out on much. Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge (and respect) LA for being one of the early sources for the first DIYers, that just weren't happy with the flavor extracts they were able to get from their local super market.

However they have never shown an interest in catering to the e-liquid segment of the potential flavoring market. Their selection is rather small by today's rule (especially when you factor out nearly half that are oil-based and completely inappropriate for vaping), they still use lots of artificial dyes in many of their mixes, and most of what's left is rather middle-of-the-road as far as my palate is concerned.

But they, like many others, do have their winners. For example: Cream Cheese frosting will always have a place in my stash. :D

As always, well said @IDJoel. I know you only mentioned one LA flavor that is in my inventory of two. In addition to the Cream Cheese Icing, the other is their Banana Cream. I tend to interchange the LA Banana Cream and TFA Banana Cream based on which one I grab first. I find them both equally good.

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    @IDJoel: Thank you very much for your thoughtful response.
    I am realize you have been part of the ECF community W A Y longer than I have ...
    I've been inactive for years. Thanks for the posting tips.
    <snip>
    Of course, there are also those DIYers who find that all much too tedious, and simply want something that tastes good. They read a recipe, it sounds good, they don't care about whether they are "duplicating" the recipe or "getting it exact," and they are content with hit/miss outcomes and can easily shrug off the misses. This is more of a "seat of your pants" style of mixing.
    ↑▲↑▲↑ This sort of approximates my attitude, even though like you, it would have to be pretty awful for me to dump it down the drain. I've done it. A certain bottle of sassafras juice comes to mind. But, that drain must've been really cleaned out afterward, heh.
    ------------------
    I've always been a person who assimilates new information better when I can understand the reason for something being the way it is {quantum mechanics aside}. However, I can buy decent pre-mixed at 13¢/ml. It's true that I can mix my own for half that price, but only if I disregard the significant cost of hardware I've already got in hand ... which I AM willing to do. I'm old, but I've always been a bit of a science geek and this mixology and especially its associated equipment are basically, very comfortable and familiar. I am a bit on the OCD side once I dig into something of this nature. I'm continuing to read {ECF and elsewhere} and experiment. Still, there's a limit to how much of my energy I will devote to learning this new skill. I have other OCD fixations to tend to, LOL.
    ↓▼↓▼↓
    One is no more "right" than the other; other than how well it works for you. I have always been a person who has to know the "whys" of everything so "seat of the pants" is too frustrating for me. But I know many successful, happy, DIYers that do exactly that. You just need to discover what works best for you.

Best wishes on your own journey of discovery! :D
    Thank you.

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    This may have been discussed here before I started watching this thread but was wondering if the folks here could suggest some low/no scent flavors/recipes. I have to stealth vape at work but luckily work in an area by myself but there are people in and out through the day. I've been using a menthol tobacco that I make for quite some time and restrict myself to that at work. Lately I've been wanting something a little more flavorful but can't really use anything with a strong scent.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    The benefits of starting a new thread (with an accurate descriptive title) is that it can likely reach a broader segment of the community... and therefore get more (and possibly more helpful) responses;
    I believe this is my biggie out of them all. I refuse to open any thread that's "Wondering if ...." followed by "Best tank/atty/flavor" Best is so subjective, and is usually based on what the respondent has just recently purchased.

Then I will spend some time with each candidate, as a stand-alone/single flavor, to get to know what it tastes like to me and at what percentage I like it best at.
    Yuppers. Reading many different reviews can get you in the ballpark if a flavor is say a realistic vine ripened Strawberry, or a candy Strawberry. After that, each person should really do their own flavor testing/tasting to find the % they find most palatable, which helps them in recipe substituting or creating.

Potency can be a factor; but so is taste
    Along these lines, I've found FA the most consistent in their potency level. Of course each manufacturer has their outliers including them. Along these lines, I really need to retest TFA Mango. The usual starting % for TFA is commonly 5% for me (and I think the vast majority of the larger community), and I tested up to around 10%. Oh, I could smell it, but never taste it. Then in speaking with another highly respected mixer (she was using 2%) was advised to start much lower, while I had been going higher. Like DUH! :confused: I cussed myself out, thinking of how I had read and re-read that same information over a year ago. (think it was a Hoosier blog, something like rule 5). Anyway I digress.

Thanks @IDJoel for a post that's golden.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    I forgot to mention a handy site/calculator I use now when converting tfa type recipes that use such a high percentage total to an all RF SC recipe that generally does well around 3.5% total:
    - e-liquid Scripts - Cosmic Calculator
    -

plug in your desired total flavoring percent and the percents for each of the original flavors and you will get the new flavors broken down proportionally

meh, hate that built in media link that inserts the spreadsheet, here is a direct link to the google doc if you want to download the spreadsheet.

Anyone know how to download this "spreadsheet" from an iPad/iPhone? I don't see a D/L link anywhere on that page?

Reactions: Kenna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Along these lines, I've found FA the most consistent in their potency level. Of course each manufacturer has their outliers including them. Along these lines, I really need to retest TFA Mango. The usual starting % for TFA is commonly 5% for me (and I think the vast majority of the larger community), and I tested up to around 10%. Oh, I could smell it, but never taste it. Then in speaking with another highly respected mixer (she was using 2%) was advised to start much lower, while I had been going higher. Like DUH! :confused: I cussed myself out, thinking of how I had read and re-read that same information over a year ago. (think it was a Hoosier blog, something like rule 5). Anyway I digress.
    No digression @big_vape. Actually a great addition that demonstrates the importance of finding out how a flavor is going to work for you! Like you I have learned to start all new flavors low and work my way up. Just because the majority like a particular flavor at 8% doesn't mean that I may not prefer it at 4% or even 16%. I have to try to know. Here is a tool that has helped me do that.

Earlier, in this thread, @Bill's Magic Vapor shared a method that he used to quickly (all be it; roughly) zero in on a personal "best-use"percentage (here). He made a chart/table that can be printed out if you want to make a hard copy and included it in his drop-box (here). I have found it to be quite helpful when testing new flavors.
    upload_2017-1-24_16-44-49.png

A few points of clarification since Bill didn't include instruction/explanation with the Flavor chart:
    • This is only intended to quickly and generally narrow down you preferred percentage. It is not intended to "pinpoint" an exact number. It does not account for aging/resting/steeping (though Bill feels the High flavor method negates the need for extended aging).
    • Bill's chart is made to be as "down-and-dirty" simple as possible; so it only calls for PG and flavor concentrate. No VG. No nicotine. I asked Bill about this, since both VG and nicotine can influence how a flavor concentrate will taste. He agreed that to get a better understanding; an unflavored mix (PG+VG+nic at your preferred ratio and strength) can be substituted for plain PG.
    • This is a cumulative process meaning that all additions/subtractions are using the same mixing container. (Do not throw out/start over for each step).
    • Bill is a "High Flavor Method/Mixer" (HFM) so his chart starts at 5% and goes up quickly (to just under 25%). If you find you prefer using less flavoring, or know you are a "Low Flavor Mixer" (LFM), I have adapted Bill's chart to a finer scale (here).
    • For this method to give you any useful feedback; you must use the same sized dropper for all three steps (add PG/add flavor/drip to taste). It doesn't matter what type of dropper you use (plastic pipettes, eye droppers, syringe)(if syringe with needle; make sure the needles are same size) as long as they are the same. If they are not the same, your droplet size will not be the same, and your ratios will not be correct.
    A couple of my own observations and tweaks:
    • Bill has been content to stay (for the most part) "TFA only" with his mixing (you can read his blogs for further explanation) and also prefers the HFM. As my own mixing journey progressed I found myself using other manufacturers more frequently; and at lower percentages. Because of this I adapted Bill's chart to my needs:
    upload_2017-1-24_17-1-45.png

I do not have a dropbox (or similar) to offer a DOC or PDF but I do have a photobucket where you can download a full-sized (8.5x11) JPG to print out HERE. If you would rather have a DOC or PDF of this, PM me with an email address, and I will be happy to send you either.
    • PLEASE NOTE this is a bit different than Bill's original version which used undiluted flavor concentrate. To minimize waste I cut the concentrate to start.
    • This may still be too large of a jump (about 1% increments) so you can double the dilution and halve the step increments. (this can be helpful with manufactures like Flavour Art.)
    Final thought: I am primarily a tank vaper. Tanks don't offer the best means to test small quantities of juice. Therefore I have tried to find a small-chambered dripper that will more closely mimic the small chambers of my tanks. I found the Derringer RDA to be a good one for this. It permits me to duplicate my normal dual coil build I use in my tanks while keeping the overall chamber as small as I can. I keep the wicks a short as I can to minimize juice loss to the wick itself (remember; you only have three drops for each test) and to help note the flavor change at each test. I have also used this doubling all drops so I can drip 6 drops for each taste instead of only 3. (when "3 dropping" I found a single coil set-up works best.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread