The "flavors & kids" thing again

Discussion in 'FDA Regulations' started by Gato del Jugo, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Gato del Jugo

Gato del Jugo ProVarinati ECF Veteran

2. bigdancehawk

bigdancehawk Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'm sorry, but I don't see any "%20," and my attempts to delete "%" led to no valid URL.

How about this, just delete the asterisks: http:**//tobacco**.ucsf.**edu/%E2%80%9Csuper-high%E2%80%9D-nicotine-youth-appealing-electronic-cigarette-flavors

3. NorthOfAtlanta

NorthOfAtlanta Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    More glANTZ FUD.

4. Gato del Jugo

Gato del Jugo ProVarinati ECF Veteran

I'm assuming different browsers might read it differently, now that you mention it..

5. Jman8

Jman8 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Here are flavors (selectively chosen by me, out of dozens) that Glantz et. al take issue with (noted in linked piece):

- Vanilla
    - Cola
    - Banana Nut Bread
    - Blueberry Cobbler
    - Vanilla Mocha Frappe
    - Cinnamon Roll
    - Watermelon
    - Strawberry Kiwi

All of these deemed youth appealing flavors (with high nic).

I post this because as I think we all agree it is not the cotton candy, gummy bears and gum ball flavors that they seek to exploit on this flavor tangent. Instead, it is all possible sweet flavors, and yet they also include Pizza.

I look forward to colliding with ANTZ on this issue. Admittedly they may get a hail mary pass that puts them in the red zone, but pretty sure they will fumble and our side will return it for a touch down.

6. dragonpuff

dragonpuff Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Over the river and through the woods, Western NY
    Vanilla mocha frappe?? Yeah, I can see children lining up around the block for that one :rolleyes: most kids I know can't even pronounce that...

The flavors thing always sounded like hocus pocus to me. It's just something they pulled out of thin air (or their derriere) to support their draconian prohibition efforts.

7. CabinetGuyScott

CabinetGuyScott Super Member ECF Veteran

*I* can't even pronounce these fancy smantzy names!

This whole flavor=kids=gateway argument is for the intellectually vacant masses who have either totally atrophied brains, or have maliciously deactivated their ability to think like a human over the age of 4 years old.

The so-called "logic" immediately fails with people who give it 30 seconds of thought.

But that is, in and of itself the problem: far too many people in this day & age do NOT want to have to think! Provide them with emotion laden buzzwords and they are satisfied.

The moment you ask for proof, or the basis of such moronic, childish assertions, they 'fumble' and stumble.

And as long as we don't play the field like the Detroit Lions (note my location!), we should be able to do exactly what Jman predicts: recover the ball, spike it over the goal posts (even with the penalty on the ensuing kick-off), and do everything in our power to humiliate them.

8. Jman8

Jman8 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

You mean the Bears?

Or wait, I think you meant ANTZ. :2cool:

9. sonicdsl

sonicdsl Reviewers Mgr
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    For anyone having trouble with the link, here's an easier way to post a broken link. You can copy and paste into your browser without problems if you highlight the whole link first:

tobacco.
    ucsf.
    edu/%E2%80%9Csuper-high%E2%80%9D-nicotine-youth-appealing-electronic-cigarette-flavors

(if there's a "www", just delete that along with any http or https)

Of course, the brilliant folks at UCSF put quote marks in the URL as well (which explains all the nonsense there in part of it)...practically a mortal sin :facepalm:

10. dragonpuff

dragonpuff Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Over the river and through the woods, Western NY
    This:

"This volume of concentrated nicotine is sufficient to kill a sizable number of kindergartners."

:blink:

Shock value anyone?

At least they managed to write a legible sentence there, unlike the article title... :|

11. sky4it

sky4it Super Member ECF Veteran

Yea a re-occurring theme. Repeated from different angles. Its no coincidence. No?

The kid gambit kind of dries like paint on a wall.

Helpful information gets denied ink and press.

Presto they have a workable vehicle.

The one that bothers me the worst is the wall when your having discussions. They stall you. While they listen and say nothing. They will get back to you on "your concerns." In the end they throw you a hankie, for your concerns (tears). That's the answer in a NO.

My bad for the negativity but if the FDA's inclinations toward vapers are positive for the industry, by now there ought to be some idea given from them, on things the vaping industry can count on to keep. At least then the vendors could stabilize there business plans.

12. bigdancehawk

bigdancehawk Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Real men don't like bubblegum.

bubblegum1.jpg
    bubblegum2.jpg
    bubblegum3.jpg
    bubblegum4.jpg
    bubblegum5.jpg

13. aikanae1

aikanae1 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

FDA Boxer.jpg

Jelly Belly as well as MANY manufacturers and flavoring companies have done extensive research into adult vs. kids flavors; kids like grape, orange and both like cherry. The end. Kids do NOT like complex flavoring like ... gummi bears, coffee, coconut, mango, carmel, vanilla etc. Those are WELL documented to be adult flavors.

Just try getting a kid to taste something they aren't familar with.

Glantz must not have kids.

14. choochoogranny

choochoogranny Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Glantz SHOULDN'T have kids.....:glare:

15. SaintDynamicz

SaintDynamicz Full Member

Kids will do anything whether you market it towards them or not. Hell you can specifically market things against teen's and they will still do it. By the logic that the FDA is proposing that the flavoring is marketed it towards kids, it makes it seem that when you turn 18 you no longer like things that taste good.
    I know many people who know Vanilla, and I'm sure there are a lot of kids that like that flavor as well.

My favorite flavor is Raspberry Lemonade. I guess I can say goodbye to that as it tastes good which OBVIOUSLY means its marketed towards kids.

16. classwife

classwife Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member

Jelly Belly !

President Reagan
    http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/reference/jellybellies.html

"President Reagan’s favorite Jelly Belly flavor was licorice."

[​IMG]

They became quite popular because of him !!

17. Cyatis

Cyatis Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I have to absolutely agree there, my kids when young would take a lot of coaxing to try anything new and strange, and they didn't like anything but basic flavors. As they grew older, the spectrum of stuff they will eat has grown.

We know they are lying. The sad part, they know it to.

18. choochoogranny

choochoogranny Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Since, by law, there are only two flavors of cigarettes, tobacco and menthol, how is vaping Raspberry Lemonade going to lead kids to tobacco and/or menthol? We know how nasty cigarettes tasted when we began smoking and after having vaped for a while. However, IF there is no choice and tobacco and menthol are the ONLY two flavors available then kids will smoke OR vape those flavors......I did when I started back in the early 1960's. Young kids are harmed all the time by "sampling" the stuff you store under the sink in your kitchen and laundry room. NONE of that stuff is "candy" flavored and they never see an adult eat or drink it!

The tobacco companies would like to "corner" the market on ecigs and possibly keep the development level at the 2007 date knowing they are expensive and frustrating enough that there is the likelyhood of a return to smoking the real thing. The governments (fed and state) get to tax them because after all they are "tobacco" and tobacco companies would be the only ones producing them.

Meanwhile, the pharmaceutical companies are upset that they are losing revenues to ecigs because, as primitive as they are, ecigs are better than their flavored gum and candies.....er, lozenges NTR's. They want ecigs eliminated entirely.

19. DrMA

DrMA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Let's play the "spot the argument" game - can you identify the "lessons learned from tobacco control" applied to this other legal substance?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28710824

20. aikanae1

aikanae1 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Another fun way to look at it is which to you think tastes better?
    NRT gum / logenzes or eliquid (eww)?

fda toddlers.jpg

Are they saying it's ok for teens to put patches all over their bodies until they get sick and throw up?
    It's astonshing their comments are believed.
    The FDA has WAAAAAY to much "public trust".

I've noticed a number of Senator's have responded with something that says "we HAVE TO trust what the FDA/CDC says"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.