RDA The Goon Atty by 528 Customs & Blueeyedgoon83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
I bought the SS Goon in the shop I frequent, and love it. I won a Copper Goon in a waffle...bought one spot for $4 and my number was drawn. Initially, I was concerned about the copper deck, thinking I'd have wick or flavor problems. After a week of use, with the same wick and coils, there's no problems with it at all. I did buy the delrin chuff from 528 Customs for $15, and dig the huge bore, and lack of burned lips on hot builds.

Attachments

• 13394039_10154185054557037_855062394855448947_n.jpg
    13394039_10154185054557037_855062394855448947_n.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 100

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I bought the SS Goon in the shop I frequent, and love it. I won a Copper Goon in a waffle...bought one spot for $4 and my number was drawn. Initially, I was concerned about the copper deck, thinking I'd have wick or flavor problems. After a week of use, with the same wick and coils, there's no problems with it at all. I did buy the delrin chuff from 528 Customs for $15, and dig the huge bore, and lack of burned lips on hot builds.
Nice power setups. Glad you dig your Goon. What kind of vape is that 5th String, Stringplucker?

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
Nice power setups. Glad you dig your Goon. What kind of vape is that 5th String, Stringplucker?
Thanks. I'm enjoying their abilities.

The bottle of 5th String Juice on the right in the picture is Melon Patch. The profile is cantaloupe, honeydew, and a few other flavors. There's 5 in that line. The other bottle on the left is our second line, Wonders of the World. That bottle is Colossus, a strawberry and marshmallow cereal milk.

Reactions: WharfRat1976

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Look's like you melted the o-rings, did you vape that build Tom?
It's ghosting from me using a manual focus macro. And from moving my hand while focusing on the deck. Like the tripod will be less than 1mm off target from the original shot in a stack of 20 per say and depending on how many images are off from the average angle, I get some artifacts on different parts of the deck or screws or something. But o-rings are fine, what you're seeing is probably a glare from my hand lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
It's ghosting from me using a manual focus macro. And from moving my hand while focusing on the deck. Like the tripod will be less than 1mm off target from the original shot in a stack of 20 per say and depending on how many images are off from the average angle, I get some artifacts on different parts of the deck or screws or something. But o-rings are fine, what you're seeing is probably a glare from my hand lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sound's like you need a remote control so you dont move the camera whilst pressing the button.

Did you vape that build? i think i remember you saying it was 0.05ohms or something close to that lol's...

Alphadrop

Jun 26, 2016
Hi, I currently have a Griffin 25, and I am really starting to hate how difficult the thing is to wick (can take log time to get it right) without leaking, Matter of fact I know I've had to of lost 20 ml of juice at least now. So I finally decided to go RDA.

One thing I found is I really do like to do coil building it's almost a hobby for me. I'd do more of it but the wife is a bit stingy on the amount of $ I put into it. Mainly I'v been doing Kanthal but I just picked up some Ni200 28 and 26 guage the other day, I was quite surprised what a pain it was to get just the 28 gauge to fit. My Griffin 25 IMO was terribly made, the post are not perpendicular to the deck (one tilts in) and the holes were drilled so close to the edge of the post that one of the post has started to bubble out from just the pressure of the grubs clamping down on the wire. This caused my 28 gauge to not be able to clamp down all the way since there is now a small gap in between the screw and post that I cant get rid of. Which is another reason I just want to go RDA.

Now that the Goon and Twisted Messes Squared has been out for a while, which one do you guys think is the better atty? I see a lot of ppl talking about that lose post in the goon, is that still and issue? If so what's the deal, post to small or is it that you can tighten the screw enough?

I was also wondering if the TM v2 could handle flat wire well enough. Seems to me the Goon can do pretty much anything without having to smash coils trying to get the legs to fit in the holes and spacing your coils out. Both have replaceable post, but the TM v2 is all SS while the Goon has copper post. Also wondering if ya think you could build 26 gauge nickel in a goon or TM v2? All I know is that I will only be able to get one of them. And both are looking pretty sweet. There is basically no real comparisons out there that I can find on these. Seems the TMv2 is much easier to find reviews on etc, but also seems I can watch the popular Youtube ppl and find them saying one thing, while everyone on the forums is saying something different.

My considerations are quality, capabilities, then clouds and vape are close together.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Hi, I currently have a Griffin 25, and I am really starting to hate how difficult the thing is to wick (can take log time to get it right) without leaking, Matter of fact I know I've had to of lost 20 ml of juice at least now. So I finally decided to go RDA.
From another conversation on ECF about wicking the Griffin tanks - The first method is pretty much what I use.

See this vid for a tutorial on wicking it with the Scottish roll (very effective, minimzies dry hits)

And this one for more standard wicking.

Wicking is critical with the Griffin, get it wrong and watch all your juice pour out of the bottom.

Oh, and I desire this RBA.

Alphadrop

Jun 26, 2016
From another conversation on ECF about wicking the Griffin tanks - The first method is pretty much what I use.

Oh, and I desire this RBA.

Not really sure what your getting at, but really I'm not interested in the Griffin 25 anymore.

I think I have tried / watched every thing there is really, and like I said by the time I got done with trying to get the wicking right, I could have built new coils and chucking clouds already on an RDA. Really there is no comparison when it comes to the Goon or TMv2 vs Griffin 25. Both the Goon and TMv2 is going to be better than Griffin 25 just on build deck alone.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Not really sure what your getting at, but really I'm not interested in the Griffin 25 anymore.

I think I have tried / watched every thing there is really, and like I said by the time I got done with trying to get the wicking right, I could have built new coils and chucking clouds already on an RDA. Really there is no comparison when it comes to the Goon or TMv2 vs Griffin 25. Both the Goon and TMv2 is going to be better than Griffin 25 just on build deck alone.

Just mentioned it because it is shame you are missing out on a excellent tank due to wicking problems. Building an RDA compared to a tank is generally easier and less finicky, I understand where you are coming from.

Alphadrop

Jun 26, 2016
Just mentioned it because it is shame you are missing out on a excellent tank due to wicking problems. Building an RDA compared to a tank is generally easier and less finicky, I understand where you are coming from.

My Griffin has more problems than just wicking, the post holes were drilled far to close to the edge leaving just a hair worth of metal, it was so thin that the grub screws pushing on the wire forced the edge to bend out, now I have permanent gaps that I can't get rid of between the grub and edge of the post.

Also the deck is way to small for anything of size. 28 gauge wraped with 32 gauge to make a clapton then folded and twisted, then wraped around a 3 mm drill for 5 wraps was very very hard to fit in my Griffin 25. That's not really that big of a build. I need something better.

That is why I'm looking at the Goon or TM v2. Plus both the Goon and TMv2 have replaceable post. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread