Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
My SS Goon RDA was delivered today, and I am very impressed. Build quality, fit, and finish are all excellent, with sharp engraving and clean machining. It arrived absolutely spotless without even a hint of machine oil.

The deck is just stupidly easy to build on, since you don't have to worry about your coils being the right width to fit into post holes. Wire thickness doesn't matter either -- the clamps will solidly hold anything that will fit between them. I tried feeding through a single strand of 30 gauge wire to simulate a thin gauge single coil and two strands of twisted 22 gauge wire to simulate a thick dual coil, and both were held quite securely. The posts have a beveled edge, so you don't even have to lift up the loosened clamps to mount your coils, just shove the wire in and the clamps will raise themselves. Little touches like this show that a lot of thought went into the design of this RDA.

I started off with my standard go-to build, a 9-wrap, 3 mm diameter 24 gauge dual coil which metered out at 0.39 ohms. It's nothing fancy, but it works great at 75 watts. This is my first 24 mm RDA (all my others are 22 mm), and I was concerned that flavor would be diminished by the larger diameter chamber, but I am glad that those concerns were unwarranted. Even with the airflow wide open, which is a looser draw than I prefer, flavor is still quite good. Two holes open on each side is where I like it, and flavor there is excellent. Vapor production is also excellent -- even with my simple and plain 24 gauge build, I'm getting copious and dense clouds.

The juice well is the perfect depth for me at around 5 mm. I don't like super deep wells, and get better results with a relatively shallow well which doesn't need long wick tails to reach the bottom. For example, the drip well on my Wotofo Lush is too deep in my opinion, and while overall it is still a good RDA, I always found myself gravitating towards my CLT V3 Mini and my Bambino, since they have shallower wells (but are still able to hold enough juice that I'm not redripping every 5 pulls).

And despite not having a super deep well, the extra 2 mm diameter on the Goon means it can hold quite a large amount of juice -- I just re-dripped and even though the wick was still mostly saturated, it took more than 40 drops to fill. That is twice what most of my 22 mm RDA's will hold. Even my Lush, with its much deeper well, can only hold around 25 drops with an already saturated wick. And the fit on the o-rings holding the airflow control / top cap are just a bit looser than the o-rings holding the barrel to the deck (and the drip tip to the top cap), so when you go to re-drip, you can just grab the drip tip and pull, and the top cap will come off without pulling the barrel up along with it. That's another one of those little touches that make me smile, like the beveled edges on the posts.

Overall, I am seriously impressed with this RDA. It is super easy to build on. You can use pretty much any build you want, from single coils with very thin wire, all the way to exotic dual and quad coil builds with ridiculously thick wire, and the Goon will clamp it down solid. Vapor production and flavor are both excellent. And it can hold a very large amount of juice. I've only been using it for a few hours, but I honestly cannot find any fault, flaw, or issue with this thing. At $60 the Goon is an incredible value, and I highly recommend this RDA. I also love that it is made by a company right here in my home state of New Jersey. It really is a gamechanger, something that right now makes me both very happy and very sad, since if we can't defeat the new FDA regulations, innovations like this will no longer be possible.

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
My SS Goon RDA was delivered today, and I am very impressed. Build quality, fit, and finish are all excellent, with sharp engraving and clean machining. It arrived absolutely spotless without even a hint of machine oil.

The deck is just stupidly easy to build on, since you don't have to worry about your coils being the right width to fit into post holes. Wire thickness doesn't matter either -- the clamps will solidly hold anything that will fit between them. I tried feeding through a single strand of 30 gauge wire to simulate a thin gauge single coil and two strands of twisted 22 gauge wire to simulate a thick dual coil, and both were held quite securely. The posts have a beveled edge, so you don't even have to lift up the loosened clamps to mount your coils, just shove the wire in and the clamps will raise themselves. Little touches like this show that a lot of thought went into the design of this RDA.

I started off with my standard go-to build, a 9-wrap, 3 mm diameter 24 gauge dual coil which metered out at 0.39 ohms. It's nothing fancy, but it works great at 75 watts. This is my first 24 mm RDA (all my others are 22 mm), and I was concerned that flavor would be diminished by the larger diameter chamber, but I am glad that those concerns were unwarranted. Even with the airflow wide open, which is a looser draw than I prefer, flavor is still quite good. Two holes open on each side is where I like it, and flavor there is excellent. Vapor production is also excellent -- even with my simple and plain 24 gauge build, I'm getting copious and dense clouds.

The juice well is the perfect depth for me at around 5 mm. I don't like super deep wells, and get better results with a relatively shallow well which doesn't need long wick tails to reach the bottom. For example, the drip well on my Wotofo Lush is too deep in my opinion, and while overall it is still a good RDA, I always found myself gravitating towards my CLT V3 Mini and my Bambino, since they have shallower wells (but are still able to hold enough juice that I'm not redripping every 5 pulls).

And despite not having a super deep well, the extra 2 mm diameter on the Goon means it can hold quite a large amount of juice -- I just re-dripped and even though the wick was still mostly saturated, it took more than 40 drops to fill. That is twice what most of my 22 mm RDA's will hold. Even my Lush, with its much deeper well, can only hold around 25 drops with an already saturated wick. And the fit on the o-rings holding the airflow control / top cap are just a bit looser than the o-rings holding the barrel to the deck (and the drip tip to the top cap), so when you go to re-drip, you can just grab the drip tip and pull, and the top cap will come off without pulling the barrel up along with it. That's another one of those little touches that make me smile, like the beveled edges on the posts.

Overall, I am seriously impressed with this RDA. It is super easy to build on. You can use pretty much any build you want, from single coils with very thin wire, all the way to exotic dual and quad coil builds with ridiculously thick wire, and the Goon will clamp it down solid. Vapor production and flavor are both excellent. And it can hold a very large amount of juice. I've only been using it for a few hours, but I honestly cannot find any fault, flaw, or issue with this thing. At $60 the Goon is an incredible value, and I highly recommend this RDA. I also love that it is made by a company right here in my home state of New Jersey. It really is a gamechanger, something that right now makes me both very happy and very sad, since if we can't defeat the new FDA regulations, innovations like this will no longer be possible.
You should have splurged for titanium!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015

Bought the Brass Goon today, so far pretty impressed. Flavour is on point, easy to build on and an extremely large juice well. Just didn't like that the negative post moves. Just chucked a build on it to test it out, will be taking a closer look at the negative post.

Another plus is that it fits my Kennedy Dragon tips.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com

$135 is too much just for titanium version that doesn't really offer any actual advantages. If I were primarily using mechanical mods I might have went for the titanium version because of the increased conductivity and slightly lower voltage drop. But the titanium version also has a much shinier finish and I greatly prefer the matte brushed finish on the stainless steel version.

Bought the Brass Goon today, so far pretty impressed. Flavour is on point, easy to build on and an extremely large juice well. Just didn't like that the negative post moves. Just chucked a build on it to test it out, will be taking a closer look at the negative post.

My negative post is secure and doesn't move at all. Make sure the phillips head screw on the bottom is tightened down.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
$135 is too much just for titanium version that doesn't really offer any actual advantages. If I were primarily using mechanical mods I might have went for the titanium version because of the increased conductivity and slightly lower voltage drop. But the titanium version also has a much shinier finish and I greatly prefer the matte brushed finish on the stainless steel version.

My negative post is secure and doesn't move at all. Make sure the phillips head screw on the bottom is tightened down.
I was being sarcastic haha. $135 is way too expensive. I mean every single build I throw on my Goon ohm's out lower than it would on another atty already. Well except maybe my new K24 2 post. I have to wait to get my Rolo DNA back to compare them.
The Ti Goon kinda scares me because knowing that builds on my stainless Goon already ohm out about .01-.03 lower than on other decks.
But it still looks awesome haha. And comes with 2 sets of clamps/silver (not plated) posi pin. And a sweet looking wide bore Ti DT.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I'm intrigued, for those that have both the k24 and the goon, what would you recommend to someone that doesn't have either?

I have the 2 post K25 and 3 post K24 and although I am getting good flavour from the Goon when the airflow is closed to slightly less than 2 holes, I wouldn't see it as an upgrade over the 3 post Kennedy let alone the 2 post. But have only been living with it for 2 days so may still win me over.

Reactions: Tom Forde

MrNobody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2015
I'm intrigued, for those that have both the k24 and the goon, what would you recommend to someone that doesn't have either?
That's a though one. I would actually recommend both if possible. I currently own 4 Kennedy's, 3 24s (1 2 post) and a 25. I also own two goons, a SS and a TI one. They all get used quite frequently and you can't go wrong with either. They both are stellar performers and I've had zero issues with any of them. If I had to choose just one I would probably say the Kennedy two post but it's still a tough decision.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Hopefully someone can answer this in the next few hours. Does the goon have an adjustable 510? If not is the pin long enough to make connection with a rather efed up Reuleaux 510

The screw on the 510 pin is what secures the positive post, and while you can loosen it a bit and still get a good connection, it's not really an adjustable 510. The positive pin does protrude nicely, at least a millimeter.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Also, have you tried prying up the positive pin on your Reuleaux? If juice has leaked into the 510 connection it may be causing the pin to "stick". Prying it up with a small flathead screwdriver might fix your issue. This happens a lot on my two iTaste MVP 3.0 Pros, and prying up the pin fixes things instantly.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Well. I have the 2 post K24, a couple 3 post K24's & a Goon. I love all of my Kennedy's. They're the only atties I trust for life. If something goes wrong, send Kennedy an email & send it in to them and they'll fix it for you. And the new 2 post deck is built perfectly. With new post options coming out soon. I may have to get another haha.
If you're a builder I wouldn't recommend the 3 post K24, as the post holes are 2mm.
If you want adjustable AFC & a different deck with the clamps, & side AFC for less leaking due to over dripping: go for the Goon.
However on the new K24, I find that it holds so much juice down in that big ole juice well that I have not once over filled it.
As for the Goon AFC, I find myself closing off one hole on each side making the AFC similar to the Kennedy. Just my personal preference. They're both solid atties, I just love my Kennedy's because I know if something goes wrong they will have my back. I don't know what would happen if I couldn't fix my Goon, I'd probably have to buy new parts or a new atty entirely.

Edit: as for having 510 issues with a Reuleaux, hit up @the_vapin_architect on Instagram.
75540574cd3423c65edb1901e30f8ceb.jpg

I recently had my 510 swapped out by him. He installs a varitube 510 & 16ga wiring to get the board to evolv spec. And his work is super clean.

emmaviola

Jul 20, 2016
Cool if you're one of those art-builder types. Other than that, airflow obstructions, tall top cap and outdated airflow with no smooth/domed interior "roof". Will be as flavorful as all those other "cloud-chasing" attys.

Edit: That one view might show what appears to be somewhat of a domed top cap... which is good.
I'd have to disagree, I'm a total flavour chaser and I just picked one up. I keep it with two airflow holes open and its a great flavourful vape. I have some fused claptons in there right now and I'm planning on throwing some aliens in there (which you can buy pre made so there is less of a hassle) and that would just increase the flavour!

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
I'd have to disagree, I'm a total flavour chaser and I just picked one up. I keep it with two airflow holes open and its a great flavourful vape. I have some fused claptons in there right now and I'm planning on throwing some aliens in there (which you can buy pre made so there is less of a hassle) and that would just increase the flavour!

Agree to disagree. Everyone's different! :) I'd take a Drifter, NaRDA or Snapdragon over the lot any single day. It's night/day flavor difference IMHO.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Cool if you're one of those art-builder types. Other than that, airflow obstructions, tall top cap and outdated airflow with no smooth/domed interior "roof". Will be as flavorful as all those other "cloud-chasing" attys.

Agree to disagree. Everyone's different! :) I'd take a Drifter, NaRDA or Snapdragon over the lot any single day. It's night/day flavor difference IMHO.

Have you actually tried the Goon RDA? The large chamber and simple side airflow did concern me since I am much more of a flavor chaser, but I was seriously impressed at the flavor it can deliver. The 24 mm Goon has quickly become my favorite and most-used RDA for both clouds and flavor (depending on build).

There's also the 22 mm Goon which was recently released. The smaller chamber might offer better flavor, but I honestly can't see it getting much better than the original 24 mm Goon.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I'm just gonna get a discussion going on what I think is going to be a very popular RDA in days to come. It's not too hard on your wallet, coming in at $60 for the stainless steel version & $65 for the copper or brass versions.
Here are the specs, from District F5ve:
Specifications:
  • 24mm
  • Half inch drip tip
  • Standard 510 connection
  • Copper screw
  • Gold plated bridge post
  • Gold plated clamps
  • Hybrid safe
  • Peak insulators
  • Positive and Negative bridges are easily replaceable
So you may be asking, what's this post bridge thing? Well, it looks VERY promising for large builds.
Instead of post holes or prebuilt slots into the deck, they're basically a vice that'll clamp down on your leads View attachment 533758 View attachment 533759 View attachment 533761
And as for the airflow, it's adjustable, but I'm not too sure on the size of the holes though. And it looks like it supports single coil if preferred. View attachment 533762
Having just purchased a Petri v2 myself, I'm going to wait a few weeks before buying, to see the reviews that come up and to give myself a chance to liquidate some of my old vape gear.
Quick question Tom... I picked up a clone of this beast and then, before checking, ordered an oversized DT that I thought fit standard. Of course it doesn't fit this clone standard but was wondering if the Auth actually came with a top cap that fit an oversized (larger than 510), widebore DT?

Edit: Not a total bust as I have been able to rigfit the aftermarket WB DT to my Rafale X RDA

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Well. I have the 2 post K24, a couple 3 post K24's & a Goon. I love all of my Kennedy's. They're the only atties I trust for life. If something goes wrong, send Kennedy an email & send it in to them and they'll fix it for you. And the new 2 post deck is built perfectly. With new post options coming out soon. I may have to get another haha.
If you're a builder I wouldn't recommend the 3 post K24, as the post holes are 2mm.
If you want adjustable AFC & a different deck with the clamps, & side AFC for less leaking due to over dripping: go for the Goon.
However on the new K24, I find that it holds so much juice down in that big ole juice well that I have not once over filled it.
As for the Goon AFC, I find myself closing off one hole on each side making the AFC similar to the Kennedy. Just my personal preference. They're both solid atties, I just love my Kennedy's because I know if something goes wrong they will have my back. I don't know what would happen if I couldn't fix my Goon, I'd probably have to buy new parts or a new atty entirely.

Edit: as for having 510 issues with a Reuleaux, hit up @the_vapin_architect on Instagram.
75540574cd3423c65edb1901e30f8ceb.jpg

I recently had my 510 swapped out by him. He installs a varitube 510 & 16ga wiring to get the board to evolv spec. And his work is super clean.

Yes agreed, your feedback is totally on point.

I have 2 x Goons, a brass and a black. Ended up giving the black to a close friend, met up today and I noticed that the black finish has started to wear around the top of the atty.

Reactions: Tom Forde

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Quick question Tom... I picked up a clone of this beast and then, before checking, ordered an oversized DT that I thought fit standard. Of course it doesn't fit this clone standard but was wondering if the Auth actually came with a top cap that fit an oversized (larger than 510), widebore DT?

Edit: Not a total bust as I have been able to rigfit the aftermarket WB DT to my Rafale X RDA

Yes, the Goon RDA uses a drip tip that is wider than the standard 510 drip tips. The same goes for the Kennedy RDA, and in fact the drip tips are interchangeable between the Kennedy and the Goon.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Yes, the Goon RDA uses a drip tip that is wider than the standard 510 drip tips. The same goes for the Kennedy RDA, and in fact the drip tips are interchangeable between the Kennedy and the Goon.
Thanks Jersey!! I should have done a little more research on the features of the goon before pulling the trigger on this clone as it only has a topcap with 510 DT accommodations. Oh well, At least I can get used to the clamping posts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread