Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
It's one of the things I can't abide in a vape.....that and floral.

Maybe I'll let it sit in the steep closet for a month and let it "think about what it's done"! And I'll mix up another batch at a lower percentage to see if that'll fix the issue.

From my tasting notes on HS DS, after testing it at 5%, the thought was I wanted more flavor.....but maybe HS DS just isn't for me if this is the case. ;)

Don't mix another batch, just cut the 8% with nic base to bring the flavor below 4% and shake. 5ml with 5+ml base. It's already steeped.

Maybe it wasn't steeped long enough at 5?

I do think ds needs a little steep time to come together properly. A week or two at least.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Ran out of Arabic a week ago, oops..Been vaping desert ship, G&S, and highway... Couldn't do the Indian all day.. I mixed these all around 3.3% the G&S at 2.9 and it's plenty strong.
Yup .. tastes are really different. I love most all of HS tobacco's.
Other than I like TFA's RY4 Double, and a few others, I don't have to buy from anyone else anymore.
Indian is one of my favorites. I mix it at 4%, and sometimes I add a touch of AP. I've never notices a "mint" in any of their tobacco's, but I do pick up a nutty background in the Indian, so that's why I like to bring it out with the AP.
Arabic I like at 5%, and to me, it's on the sweet side.
The G&S I mix at 8%, and that's mild to me ... I wouldn't even taste it at 2.9
I think their DS is the best. I've tried desert ship from a lot of other companies, and they were OK to good, but HS has it down pat in my opinion.
Highway ... 5%, yummy
I mix well ahead of myself, so all of my tobacco's are at the least 4 - 8 weeks or more old before I get to them.
I do a lot of rotating flavors. I have 6 different mods sitting around in strategic places, each with a different flavor.
So I make small amounts, but I mix up to 18 different bottles of flavors at a sitting, and they sit around until what I have already mixed is being used.
I date them, so I know which ones are the oldest. It would take me two years to finish a 30ml bottle of one flavor.
When I start vaping one batch, I make another batch. I don't steep on purpose .. it's just the way I automatically mix :blush:
The only ones I haven't tried, are the Virginia, Golden Tree, Black Label, and the #5
Their "mixed", ... just haven't got to them yet :p

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Yeah, I think so as well. I'm just curious if the mix will calm down on the mint front if I just leave it alone and let it meld with everything else in time. If not, well, lesson learned.

I taste a little grassy hint but not mint to me. However, yes. The DS does meld and smooth with longer aging.

The only ones I haven't tried, are the Virginia, Golden Tree, Black Label, and the #5

Nice post. You've got to try the #5 -- it is excellent. Didn't like Golden at first but set it aside. Picked it up a couple months later and vaped the entire 30ml nearly non-stop (so let that one age thoroughly). Not impressed on HG Virginia but haven't given it a second round chance. No on Black Label for me as I'm not a fan of cloves.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Nice post. You've got to try the #5 -- it is excellent. Didn't like Golden at first but set it aside. Not impressed on HG Virginia but haven't given it a second round chance. No on Black Label for me as I'm not a fan of cloves. Enjoy!
Those three are dated 6-13, so they are getting close ... but I still have some mixed tobacco recipes left from 4-15 to try first :cry:
That's not counting all the "other" types of flavorings waiting on the shelf !!
YUK ... didn't know the BL had a clove base, ...not keen on that myself :(
Had to go sniff the bottle ... hopefully I didn't mix it too strong, .. doesn't smell to bad :blush:
I've run into that heavy clove trying to find a good gingerbread flavoring, :nah:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Yup .. tastes are really different. I love most all of HS tobacco's.
Other than I like TFA's RY4 Double, and a few others, I don't have to buy from anyone else anymore.
Indian is one of my favorites. I mix it at 4%, and sometimes I add a touch of AP. I've never notices a "mint" in any of their tobacco's, but I do pick up a nutty background in the Indian, so that's why I like to bring it out with the AP.
Arabic I like at 5%, and to me, it's on the sweet side.
The G&S I mix at 8%, and that's mild to me ... I wouldn't even taste it at 2.9
I think their DS is the best. I've tried desert ship from a lot of other companies, and they were OK to good, but HS has it down pat in my opinion.
Highway ... 5%, yummy
I mix well ahead of myself, so all of my tobacco's are at the least 4 - 8 weeks or more old before I get to them.
I do a lot of rotating flavors. I have 6 different mods sitting around in strategic places, each with a different flavor.
So I make small amounts, but I mix up to 18 different bottles of flavors at a sitting, and they sit around until what I have already mixed is being used.
I date them, so I know which ones are the oldest. It would take me two years to finish a 30ml bottle of one flavor.
When I start vaping one batch, I make another batch. I don't steep on purpose .. it's just the way I automatically mix :blush:

Can't belive your at 8 with G&S, it's overpowering at more than 3.3% to me, 4% it gets so strong it turns my stomach, at 2.8 it's pretty well balanced to me...

Guess its because I use rayon wick that the flavors come through so strong for me. I also don't like flavors to be overpowering in taste.

If I go up to just 3.5% from 3.3 I can notice the Arabic starts getting sweeter.. Most the hangsen I vape I can tell a flavor change going up just- point.2%.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Vaping the RY3 today at 3%, 2 week steep. Pretty good can vape it all day. 3.3 is almost too strong for me.

This one has just a hint of red or elder with full on hangsen signature tobacco base flavor. Also includes a background or exhale similar to G&S or smooth. This one is a strong flavor..

Last edited:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Can't belive your at 8 with G&S, it's overpowering at more than 3.3% to me
Well, I glad you have taste buds that work :lol:
There are a lot of flavors I can't even taste, and I have bought them from every company ... coconut being one.
I PIF all the flavors that just don't do anything for me, and I'm always amazed at how happy they are with them :(

Ohh, PS,... I use rayon and KDG, depending on if it's a tank or a squonker

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
Many years of smoking old-holborn, but not for the last 6yr, gave hangsen ancient a go at 5% may be over concentrated,I've forgotten the actual taste of roll-ups, don't ever recall this flavour from my mix, can only describe it as tobacco stored with household cleaning products, sound good (no)vaping at usual 0.8 (rubbish) but at 1.8ohm-4.2v can't put this down, so addictive,reminds me of islay malt whisky, peat-smoke, iodine, flavour,lovely.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
I've forgotten the actual taste of roll-ups, can only describe it as tobacco stored with household cleaning products, reminds me of islay malt whisky, peat-smoke, iodine, flavour,lovely.
:shock: wow, that sounds so good :censored:
Did ya try steeping it :lol:

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I've been seed steeping my favorite HS tobaccos. I keep them in 120ml bottles and when the big bottles hit 30mls of less I just mix 90mls on top. They are always ready to go. Keeps life simple.

I used to mix DS @ 7% but have dropped it to 4-5% and like it even more at the lower %. Still my ADV after 3 years. Love that stuff.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Remember seeing post on seed steeping probable yours bob, went out of mind, so will give it a go,
as yourself over the years i seem to have gone from 8% to 3.33% with hangsen tobacco essence+1% absolute.

Seed steeping works perfect. When I mix I usually do 500mls+ at a time. I keep a 6 month supply on hand and only mix 3 or so times a year tops. One excellent thing about HS concentrates is the shelf life of mixed juice is really long compared to sweeter mixes or anything using vanilla. Doesn't do that change to dark thing that some concentrates do.

A lot of my lowering % is due to only using RDAs and RTAs for the last year or 2. Back when I started I was using pro-tank 2s and 3s and aero-tanks etc. Even the dual coil heads in those comes nowhere near a good micro coil and cotton wick flavor wise. Being able to stretch concentrates out longer is a nice perk too.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
A lot of my lowering % is due to only using RDAs and RTAs for the last year or 2. Back when I started I was using pro-tank 2s and 3s and aero-tanks etc. Even the dual coil heads in those comes nowhere near a good micro coil and cotton wick flavor wise. Being able to stretch concentrates out longer is a nice perk too.

Yeah, if you have to lower your nic you can lower your flavoring by the same percentage.

Reactions: Mattdogg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I now have six 60ml bottles of juice sitting and steeping in the window sill above the sink. Three are FA flavors and three are Hangsen flavors. Hangsen beats FA right now, with the exception of the FA 7 Leaves. I just love the 7 Leaves flavor. It was vapable the next day.

My FA Desert Ship is getting better after a week of steeping, but still isn't even near what Desert Ship should taste like. The floral flavor is about gone, but it's still way too sweet at 2% flavor. More steeping time is needed. It started off pretty nasty and after a week it's sweet with just a subtle flavor. It needs some tobacco flavoring added.

Hangsen Tobacco is OK, but not what I'm used to from the Madvapes Hangsen Tobacco vendor mix. Steeping will certainly help.

Hangsen Highway shows great promise. It was pretty good right after mixing, but will improve over time. It started off with a floral note that subsided. There's still some sweetness present that needs to fade, and it also needs some tobacco flavoring.

The Hangsens are generally vapable right after mixing, but there's too much sweetness and not enough tobacco in most of them. I'm thinking that I need to look at Tobacco Absolute and AP for beneficial additives. I'm missing that tobacco flavor that I'm used to.

FWIW, I mixed the FA flavors at 2% and the Hangsen at 7%. I can see now that I need to order some TA and some AP to round these mixes out.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Vaping the RY3 today at 3%, 2 week steep. Pretty good can vape it all day. 3.3 is almost too strong for me.

This one has just a hint of red or elder with full on hangsen signature tobacco base flavor. Also includes a background or exhale similar to G&S or smooth. This one is a strong flavor..
Good, and on my list it goes. Thanks for posting. If you like it at 3, I'll probably like it at 4 or 5 lol. I've had bad luck trying to go higher than 5% on a few Hangsen flavors, so I need to stick to the stronger ones. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread