Not open for further replies.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
With so many debates about public vaping raging here, I started to wonder how many people around us are stealthy vapers?

People who vape at home and in their cars, but not out in public.
People that vape with a stealthy setup indoors - around the corner, in the rest room.
People that go outside and vape with the smokers.
People that use small devices with less vapor.

It was common to see posts here about people never having seen another vaper out and about only a short time ago. Now that vaping is much more mainstream and available, I wonder how many people around us are stealth vapers, getting their nic fix right under our noses? Thousands of ego and evod setups are being sold every day, yet very rarely do I see another vaper, unless I'm in a vape shop.

My guess is that stealthy vapers make up more than 75% of all vapers. They just go unnoticed. They might be standing right next to you.

The Invisible Majority?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Interesting thoughts, 440.

I recall that when I started vaping, I was a tad reluctant to vape in public. Now, not at all.

Some may come from the "memory" of being a banned smoker, so just carry that same "attitude" to vaping. And, of course, there's a wide variety in local laws. Many places do place vaping in the same boat as smoking, so if one wants to vape "publicly", one does need to go out with the smokers. (Which can lead to v-verts as they ask you what the heck you're doing!)

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I wouldn't say I'm a stealthy vaper, but more like I just pay attention to where or when I vape. Guess you could say that I just don't vape to impress or entertain anyone else.
    I see no advantage to having a bunch of lights drawing attention to me when I vape, so if the screens & buttons can't be turned off the PV stays at home. I don't blow clouds in public for the same reason.

When in public I find that it's usually pretty easy to stand downwind of others so that they don't have to participate in my habit.

Last edited:

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 6, 2013
    Fullerton, CA, USA
    I treat my vaping just like I did with smoking--a trick that helped me switch. I vape outdoors at work pretty much where ever I want, and many smokers and nonsmoker have noticed, but never uttered a word. I don't vape in the smoking area, but I never really smoked there either, just don't care for the location.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    I'm discreet when out and about...usually just an ego/evod type setup. I'm not sure that it is because I want to be stealthy...I think it's just more convenient to carry in my pocket. While I might take a quick puff in a vacant store aisle, I usually vape like I used to smoke; in areas designated for smoking.

I rarely see vapers in the wild and I have never seen one inside a place of business, so you are probably correct that most vapers are discreet like me. Most actual vapers are probably using cig-a-likes or egos so they may be harder to spot out in the open.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Pearland, TX
    I see them everywhere..places I'd been when a smoker too..I just NOTICE it now (which lends to if you vape discreetly most don't know you're doing it theory of mine, folks are so tied up in their own stuff..they don't notice yours, as evidenced by my trip to Kroger in my PJ's *lol*) the car dealership we use..I'd gone out on the patio to vape and sure enough I counted at least six employees giving me the cheers with the secret vape international vapers hand gesture with their PV :p

issy

ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2014
    Between Timid and Timbuktu
    When I vape indoors anywhere, I just hold the vapor for about 10 seconds...voila. No exhaled vapor. I do that in stores and restaurants, and no one has ever commented (except fellow vapers about my setup...lol an istick with a vivi nova s). Outside I vape openly but never where others could come in contact with my tootle puff cloud. This worked in houston and has so far in reno/tahoe.

LordMarv

Apr 21, 2015
    It may be becoming more mainstream in large city/more populated areas...but in small-town and rural America/Canada, especially out here in the western parts...it's still a rarity. In my state, alot of folks would have to travel 100 miles or more to find a vape shop. I'll vape anywhere that it's cool for smokers to smoke outside, never indoors anywhere except my home. I have yet to see anyone else vaping in public so far....but I do see people in our vape shop, and I do see those gnarley blue cigs in every gas station...but it still seems fairly underground here yet

CardinalWinds

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 25, 2009
    Vermont, USA
    I work from home so no workplace issues for me. If I'm going to be out less than 3 hours or so, I usually don't bring my vape with me or I leave it in the car.

If I'm out for the house for the day somewhere indoors that doesn't allow smoking or vaping, I grab a vape where and when I can, be it stepping outside, going to the restroom or sneaking a drag in a quiet corner. In other words, stealth vaping.

If I'm attracting attention to myself in any way, it's likely to be neutral or bad and any confrontation that might ensue can only end badly for me. I'm on someone else's private property and they get to make the rules. I'm all for constructive confrontation, but I like to pick my battles, and the elements of that type of scenario do not lend themselves to an outcome favorable for me or for vaping in general.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    The closest town to me has a population of about 12,000. Other than at a small local vape shop, I rarely see any vapers around. They also sell e-liquids and some devices at one of the local convenience stores, and I've seen a few starter kits and liquids being sold at a few other places. Obviously someone's buying them, but I hardly see them, so I guess they're either being stealthy, or hiding, lol.

Reactions: FlamingoTutu
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread