The Joker 5v- any reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paco

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Chino CA
i got an update on my joker's battery cutoff, well the first few times i would get blue light then after a while the blue light would turn off and the joker would still vape, but right now i was getting blue light all morning and i decided to see how long i could vape with no light, so i would take a drag blue light would be on, half way into it NO more light would be on, still got vapor but i didnt let go of the button, after about 10-15 seconds str8 of taking long drags and seeing if vapor was still coming out (and feeling the atty so it wouldnt get too hot, which it didnt) i then got NO more vapor,

so i guess my joker is cutting out before it gets below 4.5v:p, but it didnt cut out with a LR atty the first time, :(

paco

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Chino CA
Here's what you do, if you have a drip tip it's easier. Vape normally, when the light goes out, keep the button pressed and pull from mouth and listen. If it's still powered up, you will hear it sizzling. Might be faintly sizzling, but you can hear it if it's not cutting off.

yup thats what i did, it kept working but was very low vapor and after about 10-15 seconds it stopped working, so hopefully thats the cutoff working the way it should.

paco

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Chino CA
WOW i just dropped my joker from chest high and it hit the tile floor atty tip first, well the atty was bent to one side, the button and battery section of the joker popped apart,

so i turned the atty and got it str8 again, thankfully no damage there, then i screwed the button section back on to the battery section and took a hit........... it Still works.

well at least we now know that the joker can Fall, pop apart, be put back together and it still works, I have no idea how the atty connection didnt break, it all happened in slow motion and i 'saw' it going atty/drip tip toward the ground, after the impact and seeing the atty bent to one side, I felt like i got hit in the Balls, but it works :)

Tasteles

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Ohio, USA
I was just wonder how everyone elses Joker is holding up now? I just got home and sent an email to get mine RMA and got a response that they are offering a free upgrade for a varable regulated Joker2. Trying to decide if I want this upgrade or just get mine fixed. The email said it'd be 3-4 weeks for the upgrade. I've owned this thing for over a month and only got 6 days of use out of it.

VapoMonkey

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2010
Queens NYC
I've had my joker for about 2 weeks and absolutely no probs whatsoever. I decided to get higher capacity Li-Fe-P-O4 batteries as the 400mah that came with it didnt hold a long enough charge, also I was unable to find any 400mah rcr123a batteries. Kicking up to 750mah gives me that all day long charge.

I got to say that 5v is definitely the sweet-spot at least with the 510 atty, the 901 tasted all burnt at 5v. At least from my experience, the joker is rock-solid and produces wicked vapor be it pg, vg, or a blend thereof.

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
I was just wonder how everyone elses Joker is holding up now? I just got home and sent an email to get mine RMA and got a response that they are offering a free upgrade for a varable regulated Joker2. Trying to decide if I want this upgrade or just get mine fixed. The email said it'd be 3-4 weeks for the upgrade. I've owned this thing for over a month and only got 6 days of use out of it.

You should get the upgrade because it will give you more voltage options. The original Joker doesn't have a 5 volt regulator in it and it is really a 6 volt mod.

paco

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Chino CA
yea im thinking about sending it in for the **free** upgrade, (whatever that means) anyways i still have to send it in too get it fixed, remember i dropped my joker on the ground and the battery housing seperated from the button housing, well the white plastic ring that holds the metal washer for the pos+ side of the batterys is only held by a wire, well that wire broke on me, and I fixed it but i now have a BARE wire inside the JOker, (long story) anyways im extra careful with it now, (i got a new device in the mail the next day :) ) but I still like this joker cause it was my first HIGH VOLT MOD, so i gotta respect it even if i like my new device.

Tasteles

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Ohio, USA
You should get the upgrade because it will give you more voltage options. The original Joker doesn't have a 5 volt regulator in it and it is really a 6 volt mod.

You sure it's not regulated? For the 6 days that I used mine, it acted alot different than my 6v Prodigy. My Prodigy vapor production goes down gradually, the Joker stayed constant until the blue light came on, and I could feel the temperature drop as well as the vapor production as soon as the light came on. Even when the light was green and turned blue right in the middle of a hit, it dropped as soon as it turned blue.

Anyway I want the upgrade, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and get mine fixed now. They said 3 to 4 weeks and I leave again for work in 3 1/2 weeks. I can't see letting it sit another month especially since it only has 90 day warranty. Actually it's already sat a month, if I wait, the warranty will be up before I can use it again. Guess it's a no brainer huh.

paco

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Chino CA
wait we only have 90 days, .... i thought it was like one year,

I believe that the joker is regulated, i used to think that it wasnt until i got My new device a. . . . Chuck!!, (Love it, If you dont have one you should get one there only $80 and fully custom made) i use thye same batterys that i got with my joker, one set in each device fully charged, i then topped my current carto in use, about 3rd day so it was nice and broken in, and started vaping using both devices, just switching between them, the Joker's draw was cooler compared with the chuck's warmer draw, and TH was a little stronger in the chuck as well due to the warmer vapor.

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
You sure it's not regulated?

Jeso rated the Joker with attys on and that's something most mod maker don't do. Here's a post he made on Vapor Talk.

Yes, unloaded the Jokers voltage reads 6.5 volts with fresh batteries.

After all considerations while designing it, the loaded voltage and power is the crucial element.

A 510 atty measures 5.1 volts and a 801 atty measures 5.3 to 5.5 volts under load.

A zener diode is used for power surges and in rush current when turned on.

That is the reason why 3 volt LiFePO4s are used because they will supply power without

loses from resistors or a regulator, and thus the unit can last much longer with a set of batteries.

For short circuits a device is used to shut down the unit. if 2 amps or greater is being drawn

from a atty or carto, the unit will shut down after 5-10 seconds depending on how much greater than

2 amps is being used. It will automatically shut down within milliseconds if the unit draws 4 amps or greater.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.

Best Regards

Jeso

Joker Volts - Vapor Talk E Cig Forum

Last edited:

Tasteles

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Ohio, USA
wait we only have 90 days, .... i thought it was like one year,

Here's a copy and paste from their site.

~*WARRANTIES*~

All VaprLife units are warrantied for(90) days from date-of-original purchase, & are non-transferable. Any units which have exceeded their (90) day warranty will not be repaired- unless our Repair Service has first been purchased.

Additionally- All warranties on any new unit sold by VaprLife will be considered null and void- -IF- the unit has been repaired or altered by any source other than VaprLife L.L.C.

Purchase of VaprLife products constitutes agreement to our terms, conditions, & policies.

paco

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Chino CA
Here's a copy and paste from their site.

~*WARRANTIES*~
Additionally- All warranties on any new unit sold by VaprLife will be considered null and void- -IF- the unit has been repaired or altered by any source other than VaprLife L.L.C.

Hmm... but what if i dropped it and it broke and i had to do some DIY to make it work again, okay so you'll void it just because i decieded to fix it so i wouldnt have to go back to analogs? iv only been vaping for like 3 months. anyways ill have to email vaprlife and see whats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread