Status
Not open for further replies.

inquisitorj

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
A few more specs for the kick:

Brandon said the max battery draw is around 4amps on the Kick. I did my AW IMR 18350 and 18490 load test at 6amps:) The Kick will also cut off when loaded voltage gets to 3.2 Volts.

My brain is suddenly misfiring, so to clarify the kick senses the voltage from the batt (before boosting) and cuts off at 3.2v as a safety feature to prevent over draining the cell?

Roi

Jul 29, 2011
Philippines
Yes. By shutting down at 3.2v, it is acting to protect the battery from damage from over-discharge. It's a good place to do it too because at 3.2v, the battery voltage is beginning to drop like a rock anyway. One of the side benefits of the kick is that you can safely use the AW IMR batteries and take advantage of their "hard hitting" (high amperage) characteristics and let the "kick" be the battery protection.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
On paper, the IMR 18350 should work. The big unanswered question, is how long will the vape times be on it?

My package from you should be here tomorrow according to the USPS website. So, by tomorrow evening we should at least have a vague general idea of what kinds of run times look promising. Keeping fingers crossed...

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
IDK, I think that's pretty optimistic. I barely get 3 hours now without a kick on an 18350 batt, but that's with an LR 2.0 carto and heavy vaping.

Not necessarily... I would get about 3 hrs approximately out of the AW 18490 IMR in a P+500 while I get close to 8 hrs out of the same battery in a VV device. The reason is that in a mechanical mod I'm changing it at around a 3.9V (unloaded) level while in a VV mod at 3.3V loaded and close to 3.5V loaded. We'll know for sure after the testing is completed but I wouldn't be surprised if we get better run times than expected.

skinnee

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Minneapolis
skinneelabs.com
Battery life is really going to depend on the target wattage each of us chooses (remember Ohm's law). As the battery starts to drop in output voltage it will compensate with amps through the Kick in order to deliver the wattage you dialed in. The Kick is really just acting as a Wattage controller, I'm sure there are many other features though, thats just the one we all focus on.

Disclaimer, I'm no EE, just spent a lot of time with DC and PWM electronics so my understanding could be incorrect.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The AW 18350 IMR battery with the 15mm spacer which David sent me has been powering my ProVari perfectly for the past 45 minutes, no error codes, no problems. I will report later when the battery reaches 3.3V and the ProVari shuts off. So far so good... :thumb:

You'll get more life out the battery too after you charge and discharge it a few times, when i load test them, they get more mAh and hold more voltage after a few cycles...

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
You'll get more life out the battery too after you charge and discharge it a few times, when i load test them, they get more mAh and hold more voltage after a few cycles...

I'm glad you said that... I wasn't sure if this battery is fully broken in or if it's brand new. Things are looking good if it hasn't even been cycled a few times yet...

My ProVari started flashing a few minutes ago when it reached 3.3V (loaded), about 6 hrs and 15 minutes after I started using it with the AW IMR 18350 battery. My DMM metered the batt at 3.58V (unloaded). I've been using the same Resurrector carto on it since Friday (1.9 ohm) at 4.4V including during today's test. As the point of reference, since Friday, I've been averaging between 9-10 hrs per cycle with my three AW IMR 18490 batts which are about 7 months old.

So, the 18350 battery did what we could have hoped for theoretically at least, it lasted more or less about two thirds of the run time of the 18490 battery when used at the same voltage against the same resistance. I really wish I could have done this a little more accurately by measuring the liquid volume consumption rather than hours and minutes but I feel like at least we have a starting point. I will continue to use it this way for a couple of more days to create a more accurate average since vaping habits can vary from day to day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread