The Lurker Thread

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    Should be a good test to ensure the ground is working on my new Internet service. :D

View attachment 695173

Lightning travels from the ground to the sky not the other way around like most think so guess what gets hit first ;)with that said NEC(national electrical code) calls for a ground so an installer has to cover their self and install one.I have a antenna pole just like that with a 10' extension bolted down on my back deck
    the TV is isolated by a small transformer at the top and an amplifier at the bottom and the power supply is also protected,last year lightning hit the power pole across from the house and set it on fire and it's top is a good 20' below the top of my antenna so I think I'll just leave my stuff running above ground like it is and take my chances :2c:

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Lightning happens when the potential difference between the clouds and the grounds becomes too large. Once the voltage reaches a critical strength, the atmosphere can no longer act as an electrical insulator. First, a stepped leader is created at the base of the cloud which is a channel through which electrons in the cloud can travel to the ground. But while moving towards the ground, it searches for the most efficient(minimum electrical resistance) route possible. It does so by traveling 50-100 meters at a time then stopping for about 50 microseconds, then traveling another 50-100 meters. In this process it also branches out looking for the best route. As the stepped leader gets close to the ground, a positively charged traveling spark is initiated on some tall object (trees, towers etc) on the ground. The traveling spark moves upward and eventually connects with the stepped leader. Once the stepped leader and the traveling spark have connected, then electrons from the cloud can flow to the ground, and positive charges can flow from the ground to the cloud. This is known as return stroke. But this flow unlike the flow from up has a well defined shortest route now. This massive flow of electrical current occurring during the return stroke combined with the rate at which it occurs (measured in microseconds) rapidly superheats the completed leader channel, forming a highly electrically-conductive plasma channel. The core temperature of the plasma during the return stroke may exceed 50,000 K, which makes it shine so bright.

In your image above as well, you can see a lot of time is lost in looking for the route, whereas the return stroke just runs through the well defined channel and hence is much faster.
    Why does lightning strike from the ground-up?

:D

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I are too Dale. :(
    You have Fridays off as well, right? I honestly think it's worse after 3 days than with 2. After three days, I don't want to go back to work AT ALL. :cry:
    After 5, like when we were on vacation, I was ready to go back to work, to get back to my routines, SIT...:laugh:, etc.
    But yeah, after a weekend, or three days...nope, don't wanna go.

Wow, interesting stuff OBG. :)

I'm trying my hand at tea and coffee dyeing stitching fabric.
    Using a piece of white at the moment...no idea where white came from, maybe from my mom's stuff, but I won't use white, it would never stay clean by the end of a project. :laugh: The trend in cross stitching is to use fabrics that look old...and stained. :laugh: Stained we always tried to avoid at all costs, but the look has really grown on me!! :facepalm:
    I'm so easily swayed. :lol:

angelphyre

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2013
    MS Gulf Coast/NOLA
    Hello my lovely lurkers. :wub:

Thunderstorms in the area here all day too...slept beautifully this morning while the first wave rolled through...expecting the next wave any minute.

I'm with you Dale and Lori, mourning the end of the weekend already.

angelphyre

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2013
    MS Gulf Coast/NOLA

angelphyre

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2013
    MS Gulf Coast/NOLA
    Good morning Angel. :wub:
    Oh gosh, I'd prob still be in bed if we'd have had rain.
    Love sleeping in on a rainy day!!
    Me too...get my best sleep when it's raining heavy like that...had to drag myself out of bed this morning. ;)

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Just looked at that...pretty cool idea. I never would have thought of doing something like that..let us know how it turns out.
    I wouldn't have either!! I'm telling you, these gals are so smart, and inspiring!!
    I just finished the first round with the tea. Looks great!!
    It's soaking in coffee now.
    Hopefully the end product will work! I'd really like to use this piece of Aida. It's a small weave, and already looks sooo much better with the tea dye.
    I just hate to waste materials, and knew with it white, I'd never use it. I think mom got it for Christmas ornaments.

I might even try to dye some DMC floss. To get the mottled look. The over dyed threads are something like $2.30, to $2.50 per color, 5 yards. Crazy.
    I've purchased some, but I have almost a whole set of DMC.
    The only colors I don't have are ones I wouldn't use anyway.
    Too bright, or too putrid. :laugh:
    Pains me to think about buying more threads!!
    Insanity I tell ya!! But gosh they're pretty. :laugh:

Me too...get my best sleep when it's raining heavy like that...had to drag myself out of bed this morning. ;)
    No doubt!!!

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I used some gunpowder tea to dye some deer skin for a possibles bag I made,came out great :thumbs:
    Was that real gunpowder?
    Grey hues?? On top of the tannish??
    That would be awesome!!

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    IMG_20171022_130835.jpg

Darker in real life.
    Going in the oven!
    Liner for my banana basket going in next! Lol's!

daleron

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    I are too Dale. :(
    You have Fridays off as well, right? I honestly think it's worse after 3 days than with 2. After three days, I don't want to go back to work AT ALL. :cry:
    After 5, like when we were on vacation, I was ready to go back to work, to get back to my routines, SIT...:laugh:, etc.
    But yeah, after a weekend, or three days...nope, don't wanna go.

Wow, interesting stuff OBG. :)

I'm trying my hand at tea and coffee dyeing stitching fabric.
    Using a piece of white at the moment...no idea where white came from, maybe from my mom's stuff, but I won't use white, it would never stay clean by the end of a project. :laugh: The trend in cross stitching is to use fabrics that look old...and stained. :laugh: Stained we always tried to avoid at all costs, but the look has really grown on me!! :facepalm:
    I'm so easily swayed. :lol:
    Yes I have Friday off but it never feels like a long weekend o_O
    Really don’t know why I get Mondaitus, I know working is good for me mentally and physically :?:

Got the bills paid up for the month and cooked some bulk burger for future chili.

daleron

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Hello my lovely lurkers. :wub:

Thunderstorms in the area here all day too...slept beautifully this morning while the first wave rolled through...expecting the next wave any minute.

I'm with you Dale and Lori, mourning the end of the weekend already.
    Our rain stopped before daylight :(

It is cloudy and cool though, have the windows open for awhile. :)

Users who are viewing this thread