The most likely reason your DIY juice sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackH

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2014
United States
You are right on, very good advice, I'm learning all you've shared the hardway, specially pertaining to diy product quality. Thanks for sharing :)

Beginners would save themselves so much money, time, effort, and waste if people would stop recommending dirty nicotine. Almost everyone ends up learning this the hard way and it's totally unnecessary.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Mixing juice is very much like the cooking process. Start with a single ingredient and build flavors from there. If I'm making a pot of chili or spaghetti sauce, I start by sauteing onions in olive oil, then add everything else to the pot one ingredient at a time until I have my delicious dinner.

If I started with a rotten onion, both dishes will taste like crap no matter what I do. I can add more ingredients, reseason, try different seasonings, cook it longer, steep it for a week but it will still be crap because my very first ingredient was awful. If I didn't know my onions were bad, I'd try and try again, then ultimately give up thinking I'm just a bad cook then order in every night.

So many people write a lot trying to help folks who are starting to DIY their own juice with the best of intentions. Problem is they usually recommend you use rotten onions. Then they proceed to tell you how to fix it with saline, EM, AP, steeping, that you are over/underflavoring, not holding your mouth right, need to do a particular voodoo chant etc when all you had to do was wake up and smell your onions.

Making great juice is easy. Buy quality nicotine, PG, and VG. It's really kind of hard to make a bad juice with a good, neutral base. As a newbie, this is where you need to spend a lot of time doing research. If your nicotine tastes like pepper and you don't realize it, guess what... your strawberry cream delight juice tastes like crap. Oh I can help! Try a little EM, 2% saline and microwave it for 5 seconds, then put it in the ultrasonic cleaner to speed steep for 4 hours while standing on 1 foot while playing Beethovens 5th over and over. Wrong.

If you're having a hard time making good juice, I'd bet a lot you're using rotten onions. If you're getting ready to place your first DIY order, buy a clean, flavorless nic! I learned this the hard way. I couldn't make a good juice to save my ..... Then I bought my first clean nic and now I can't make a bad juice. So much time and money wasted!

Make your normal base with no flavors, just nic, PG, and VG and vape it. If it's very close to flavorless, you're good to go. If not, make sure your PG and VG are good by themselves. If so, your nic is the rotten onion. Don't cheap out here, it's the backbone of every juice you'll make. In my opinion, most nicotine isn't clean even though it seems like a majority of folks will tell you it's fine. Do some research, find a clean nic and save yourself all the frustration of dumping your crappy concoctions down the sink!

Now if you'll excuse me, I made myself hungry, gonna go make a pot of chili!

Perfectly said and the best advice that can be given. Also may I add to read this......

How to adjust your base to reduce that peppery harsh Nicotine taste | E-Cigarette Forum

JackH

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2014
United States
I'm not the OP but will chime in. I use Nude Nicotine base and at the 15 mg/ml level I mix it's extremely pure tasting, almost non existent flavor in and of itself to me other than a slight sweetness (100% VG base).

I've heard great things about Vapers Tek but have enough NN to last quite awhile so I haven't ordered any (yet).

I agree, NN is almost flavorless sometimes :) I use it for some of my tobacco mixes. I use VT for the rest of my tobacco mixes, and everything else.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Clean neutral tasting base is key to any good mix. That's why a mixer should taste test their bases, every batch.

The issue I have with recommending a single vendor's nicotine is that nicotine batches vary. What I have that is darn near perfectly flavorless could have some taint to it by the time someone else orders it. I've seen it happen to the best.

My standard practice has become to order a sample, never during a sale, but waiting until shortly after a sale is a good thing, and tasting it immediately. (Obviously mixed down in what I know are clean bases) If it is good and flavorless when it arrives, I order a liter or two right away and it goes in my deep storage.

Because of intermittent unemployment, I have had a number of chances to dig into my deep storage. I still remain satisfied with what I have. SO either my method works, or I have been exceeding lucky.

How did this become standard practice for me? It is because of the Box Elder fiasco many many moons ago. BE made a good name for themselves with a few batches of nic then they really screwed the pooch. I know that our vendors are buying pure nic in batches and diluting it. It is the quality of their batch of pure nic that I'm most interested in. A good vendor is already particular about the PG and VG they are bringing in and the processes for manufacturing those are extremely well established. The process for nic varies as does the secondary processing for each batch. Quite frankly we demand more from a nic than any pharmaceutical company would, neutral taste. A pharm is just interested in contaminate levels while we are concerned with what the contaminates taste like, not just the levels. (Nearly ironic is that BE screwed the pooch by screwing up their dilution controls and not the nic batch, but it caused me to consider the importance of the nic batch in everything I do.)

So the purpose of the test sample (and my sample size can be fairly large) is so I have a good idea of what the current batch of pure nic is like, so by ordering immediately, if it is what I want, I am increasing my odds of getting what I want at the later time when I'm rubbing pennies together trying to find a way to pay some other bills. I've had good luck with VT, NN, and XV. I won't bother to mention the ones I've had bad luck with over the years because they may have a great batch in right now and my attempts to dissuade folks is for naught.

Yes, quality of the base is very important. I often ask what a poster's PG, VG, and unflavored taste like for this very reason. I have seen over and over again that utter frustration and confusion that bad bases cause. I am also usually frustrated because it is very easy to taste test the bases, but even when asked about them, most will not do it and believe it is something else and will follow that belief until they stumble on the truth themselves and correct it. (It has happened a number of times.)

Frankly, I don't post much anymore. I've been doing this a long time. I come to read what others are doing and see how the newer mixers are helping out the newest mixers. It's been pretty good, so I don't chime in. LIke this OP, it's a good one.

Does this make a trifecta?

Will P.C.

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2012
County Jail
Been DIY for a minute now, but will still occasionally place an order with a juice vendor. Sometimes it is nice to try new stuff and simply have someone else make your juice. Recently placed a rather large order with a popular vendor at 6mg which is what I make most of my stuff at. Instantly felt that harshness from the nic. It felt more like 9mg. Most of the time that harshness will diminish as I get used to it though.

JackH

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2014
United States
Frankly, I don't post much anymore. I've been doing this a long time. I come to read what others are doing and see how the newer mixers are helping out the newest mixers. It's been pretty good, so I don't chime in. LIke this OP, it's a good one.

Does this make a trifecta?

My response is so delayed its now almost hockey season so I'll call it a hat trick!

I appreciate all of the wisdom you've imparted to this forum. Danny as well. Between the two of you I learned to mix pretty well.

Noobs, the second golden rule of diy juice is learning who to listen to :).

Reactions: Dixie1954
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread