EU The Netherlands ratifyes TPD as first EU country

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Hi, jpargana! ;)

Anyway, this started as a thread about the Dutch legislation but we must remember what's happening elsewhere as well... As in Denmark. Or in Portugal, where the government has included an excise tax of 0.60 € per nicotine containing e-liquid ml, as well as the fact that they want to pass a law that will ban ecigs sales online - something illegal, as only nicotine containing juices have a special taxation, hence they couldn't ban the sale of anything else ecig related without breaking the EUs own regulations. But there's no such thing as governments or democracies anymore, only corporations.

Last week, on a Portuguese forum, I illustrated the illegality of all this by stating that I can purchase a lighter, a bag of loose filters, a box of paper for roll-your-own, even a pipe, without paying ANY excise tax. Those are considered smoking "hardware", but NOT tobacco.
I would only pay that tax if I purchased a bag of tobacco leaves meant to be smoked with the help of those things listed above.

I have also shown an Amazon link - to a "father's day edition" pipe, no less.
So, a MINOR could use his pre-paid card to offer a "special edition" pipe to his daddy. And the "Gobbermint" does not have trouble with that, since he will surelly not "smoke" that wooden pipe, and he is NOT buying tobacco.
But guess what? His father WILL buy tobacco to use with his new pipe. So, it's a "good thing" that minors can purchase smoking hardware for their parents.

We, on the other hand, are meant to be forbidden from buying a metal tube or box???

Of course. Because when we later use that, we will surelly NOT going to buy tobacco. We used to, but not anymore. :)

That's their REAL problem. It's not about our "health". PG has been used to dilute drugs used to treat LUNG diseases. That's probably why Hon Lik, as a pharmacist, decided to use it in those first e-liquids.

Our e-juice composition is not very different from the composition of the Nicotrol inhaler. That's why the FDA did NOT publish the Nicotrol results in that famous 2009 "nitrosamines study". C'mon... really? A "comparative study", where data is hidden on purpose, so that people reading the study cannot even COMPARE anything?

And, guess what? IF the e-juice composition was soooo horrible as they would have us believe, they WOULD have shown the Nicotrol results. So that people could actually SEE how horrible it was, compared to a "good, health-caring, approved medicine". Yeah, right...

The REAL problem is that their excice tax revenue is getting thin, and they will not stop at anything - including jeopardizing people's HEALTH - to get it back.

Most people are so dense, they do not see this. Someone I know is a retired nurse, no less.
And yet, she believes e-cigarettes are "probably" worse than the real thing. This, from an "health-care professional".
She does not believe me about the economical conflict of interest from those who create this insane laws.
"You only say that to fool yourself into believing the e-cigarette is better. Tobacco is ONLY an expense to the Government. And the e-cigarrete is BAAAAAD for you. I know, because just last week, there was this piece of news I heard of..."

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
[...]
- A medical product is the opposite of every factor above. It will normally only achieve a license if it is unpleasant and no one would want to keep using it. It is designed to treat a medical condition, and no one without that condition should want to use it. A medical product will be a failure if people want to keep using it, as that brings in fears of addiction [...]

I tend to disagree here, the target is "unpleasant or neutral in the absence of the underlying medical condition". Examples: Tylenol.

While the underlying medical condition exists, pretty much any efficient medicine (except, of course, the ones loaded with side effects like chemo) could be considered pleasant since it alleviates and/or eliminates an unpleasant condition. If you have a tooth ache, Tylenol will be very pleasant. Once the ache is gone, there's no pleasure / reason to continue taking it.

Coming back to vaping. If we're talking flavorless liquid, it won't do anything for a non-smoker. Especially if the nic is of poor quality and tastes like wet ashtray. We're here in the same league as the Nicorette Inhaler which is approved as over-the-counter medicine.

Of course, if the underlying condition exists (smoking withdrawal symptoms), then both the flavorless vape and the Nicorette Inhaler will be "pleasurable" in the sense that they appease those unpleasant symptoms.

Reactions: jpargana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread