The new caravela clone sigelei 8w

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
Had mine for two weeks love it.Would like to know if there is a short tube to put on so I can use the 18650 + kick.I use the kick with a 18490 now.

I just finished reading the thread and I don't think anyone makes one. You may be able to adapt something else to work.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I have done it a few times with various objects. 530 sounds a bit high. i pulled this list from a old machinist book my grandfather gave me.

Pale Yellow----300°F
Bright Yellow—350°F
Straw Yellow---400°F
Dark Straw Yellow--425°F
Bronze------------450°F
Purple------------475°F
Violet------------500°F
Dark Blue-------525°F
Light Blue------550°F
”Clear” (Very Light) Blue---575°F

i usually start at the minimum of what color i want or the next one at a lower temp, then if needed bumb it up in 10 degree increments. this all depends on the steel though.

i think with the #8w, since tubes are cheap, i am going to attempt some designs into the coloring. only problem is i have only done it on flat pieces before, never anything round. hopefully the wax will not run.

:) There are lots of charts... and half of them disagree with one another, because most of them don't bother to differentiate between steel types.
From my (albeit limited) experience with Chinese 304 ss, the chart I've used for 40 years was off too... and lower than your chart. I've been hitting tubes with a Fluke digital temp gauge and recording temps as the colors shift, so in that regard, I've got a pretty good handle on it. YMMV :laugh:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Had mine for two weeks love it.Would like to know if there is a short tube to put on so I can use the 18650 + kick.I use the kick with a 18490 now.
You can fit a hybrid tube set, made from a sigelei Silver Dragon center tube, one SD end tube and one 19 end tube... and you can use a 18650 and a kick. Fat Daddy Vapes.... 11th item down.
You might also want to consider just the standard SD tube set... see what you can make with the 8W tubes you have. :)

Why does it seem that I've already posted this exact same info? :blink: Must be losin' it.

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
Vapemail!

Not a bad mod at all for the price. Some minor stuff that I'm going to fix up here and there. All previously mentioned by everyone.

I am planning on making a new button With much tighter tolerances. Mine is quite sloppy. I am planning on attempting to make it magnetic at the same time. The spring is actually pretty soft on this one.

Overall I'm pleased.

6ypu3uba.jpg

Krizzell

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Las Vegas
Vapemail!

Not a bad mod at all for the price. Some minor stuff that I'm going to fix up here and there. All previously mentioned by everyone.

I am planning on making a new button With much tighter tolerances. Mine is quite sloppy. I am planning on attempting to make it magnetic at the same time. The spring is actually pretty soft on this one.

Overall I'm pleased.

6ypu3uba.jpg

Make sure the fire button pin is screwed tight sometime it works loose.

Scope666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Glen Ridge, NJ
Krizzel:

I put a tiny dab of loctite on it.

Scope:

The button action is smooth just sloppy. I may just try some shim stock to try and get the slop out between the thumb screw and end cap.

Yes, you're absolutely right ... they did design it with way too much clearance in my opinion. One of the guys mentioned using this super thin (they make different thicknesses) Teflon tape to take up the difference.

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
Yes, you're absolutely right ... they did design it with way too much clearance in my opinion. One of the guys mentioned using this super thin (they make different thicknesses) Teflon tape to take up the difference.

I have some copper shim stock in a variety of sizes. I will report back Monday. Its in my tool box at work.

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
I found some shim stock finally. I measured the button parts, they had about 0.01" of slop between them. i added two pieces of 0.004" shim to both the thumb screw and the outside of the button. its slightly stiff but should wear together after some use. at least it stands up straight without the lock ring now.

ry7y6ytu.jpg

The Giraffe.

Last edited:

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
In my efforts to make a smoother button/magnetic i made a cnc program to mill the design of the top onto the button face. i am waiting on machine time to run it. by the time a machine is open i will more than likely have a whole design for a new button assembly. should have something going on by the end of the week :D

BUTTON.jpg

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just wanted to thank you guys for this thread. I popped for an 8w from vapor tek and have been enjoying it for about a week.
I got both tubes and the switch without the glue.

M only complaint is that some of my batteries are slightly different lengths so I have to adjust the screw to take out battery wobble, but that's not the mods fault.

I did disassemble and grease the switch. The locking ring was actually rubbing against the brass button so the switch felt a little chunky.

Also..I think it might just be me getting used to a bottom button, but in the beginning some of the hits didn't feel as powerful as others. This seemed to go away after greasing the switch... And with some use.

I'd love to be able to have a magnetic switch that would feel a bit more "clicky" but I might just be expecting too much here.

As it is, I already like it much more than my Sigelei 20

Thanks
Geo

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
I've just got mine today, it came with both tubes which was a bonus but battery sizes and rattles are a dilemma as a flat top is just too loose in the 18650 with the pin virtually out all the way or protected button tops I can't do it up properly getting only one or two engaged threads on each end with the top pin screwed in all the way :(

I was looking at trimming the delrin ring at the bottom as it sits above the switch a fair bit but open to some ideas as I tried my kick fuse with the flat top and its the same issue again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread