The Posse that cooks together...Recipe Thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
Sweet Potato Biscuits

Self Rising Flour (if using all purpose flour add 6 tsp baking powder and 1tsp salt.)
6 tsp. shortening
1 cup sugar
16 oz can of sweet potatoes in heavy syrup
Optional:
nutmeg, cinnamon, or use frozen sweet potatoe patties instead of canned. Granny added both nutmeg and cinnamon.

Sift flour & sugar togeter (also baking powder and salt if using). Cut shortening into flour mixture. Drain sweet potatoes & save syrup. Mash potatoes using some of syrup & add to flour shortening mixture. Add more syrup to get the right consistency. Flour worksurface with sifted flour. Using 1/2 the dough at a time, pat it to 1/2" thick. Do not use a rolling pin. Granny says she skips the "pat out' part and uses an ice cream scoop to put on a pan. Bake at 350 for approximately 20-25 minutes.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Pickled Red Beet Eggs

Ingredients:

1 (15 ounce) can beets

1 onion, thinly sliced

12 hard cooked eggs, shelled and left

whole

1/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup vinegar

Directions:

1. Drain liquid from the beets into saucepan. Place beets, onions, and eggs into a large bowl or pitcher.
2. Pour sugar and vinegar into the saucepan with the beet liquid and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and let the mixture simmer 15 minutes.
3. Pour the beet juice mixture over the beets, eggs, and onions. Seal the bowl or pitcher and refrigerate. Refrigerate for at least one to 3 days; the longer they are allowed to sit the better they will taste.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
Beer rye bread. This is from the bread machine cookbook Stretchy has, and is one of my favorite rye breads. FV, hope it's what you were looking for.

3/4 cup flat beer
3/8 cup water (1/4 cup + 2 TBSP)
2 1/2 cups white flour
1 cup rye flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 TBSP shortening
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP molasses
grated rind of 1 orange (optional-I don't add it)
2 tsp caraway seeds
3 tsp dry yeast

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
German Dark Rye Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon caraway seed
1 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup molasses
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
3 1/2 cups rye flour
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
2 cups water

1.In large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, salt, cocoa, yeast, and caraway seed.
2.Heat and stir molasses, butter, sugar, 2 cups water and 2 Tablespoons oil until warm (about 110°-115°F).
3.Add to dry mixture.
4.Beat at low speed on electric mixer 1/2 minutes, scraping bowl.
5.Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
6.Then by hand, stir in enough rye flour to make a soft dough
7.Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead till smooth (about 5 minutes).
8.**Cover, and let rest 20 minutes.
9.Punch down dough.
10.Divide in half.
11.Shape into 2 round or oval loaves on greased baking sheets.
12.Brush with small amount of cooking oil.
13.Slash tops with knife.
14.Cover; let rise until double (45-60 minutes).
15.Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
16.Remove from baking sheets, place on racks to cool.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Better late than never. I did remember we talked about this. Pot pie. I'll be making the Ham version tonight. Still have lots of Easter ham left.:lol:

Pennsylvania Dutch
Ham (or Chicken) Pot Pie

A little explanation before you start.
First a history lesson. Pennsylvania Dutch were actually German settlers (Dutch: Deutch) and so many of the foods that are considered Pennsylvania Dutch have German heritage. Here's a link to an article on more history.

Anyway, now the recipe history.
This recipe is actually a stew, not a pie, as most think of when hearing "pot pie". I'm guessing that it's called a "pot pie" is that its cooked in a pot, and the noodles are very similar to making pie crust.

This is also a recipe that gets handed down generation to generation and I'm guessing that every central PA household has their own version. I even use a combo of my mothers and my fraternal grandmothers.

What to do (ah, you thought there would be an ingredient list with specific steps... well, not really, as I don't cook it that way so it's hard for me to type one up that way)

First you need a stock. A good bone in ham slow roasted in the oven the day before, then boiled on the next day so the meat falls of the bone is what I do. My grandmother would have used smoked ham hocks, but I prefer a nice .... roast.

Make the noodles.

Noodle making is the "touchy" part. Like most doughs, it's all about the texture of the dough. I will tell you right now that the dough will feel very dry (especially if you're used to bread dough). So the water part can change due to the moisture in the air, etc. Remember that the noodles are like a pie crust, so we're going to cut in either shortening or butter into our flour. I like to do this in the food processor.

So start with 1-1/2 cups of flour, add 1/4 tsp of salt, and cut in 2 Tbs of chilled butter (I don't recommend margarine) or shortening. The butter/shortening should be pea sized or smaller (again, think of pie crust). Put in a mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Take a 1/4 cup of water or cooled broth (my mothers recipe) and 1 egg (slightly beaten) and dump in into the well. With a fork slowly mix in the flour mixture until you have a very stiff dough (I almost always work the dough by hand to get the last of the flour in.) Add more flour if needed (this is the feel part... you need a nice stiff dough). Cover with a cloth and let it rest while you add the veggies to the pot.

I then add about 1 sliced, peeled carrot, 1-2 sliced celery stalks, 1 medium diced onion and let it all simmer. (Carrot should be not quite soft). I then add 3-4 peeled cubed potatoes (3/4" cubes or larger). Let it continue to simmer.

Roll out the noodles. The key is thin. Cut the dough into quarters, roll the dough into a very thin sheet and cut into squares about 1-2" (again, different sized noodles in every home). (I use my pizza cutter to cut my squares... which aren't very square)

Add the noodles (make sure they're all cut and ready to go) to boiling broth and veggies, cover and simmer until the noodles are cooked thru (this will obviously depend on the thickness of your noodles). You'll also want to stir it often, as the noodles will want to stick together. Salt (probably won't need due to the ham broth) and pepper to taste.

Warm and tasty and starchy. Yummy. You can do the exact same recipe with chicken broth. Just take thighs and legs and boil them in water, shred the meat and then follow the rest of the directions as is.

Last edited:

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
For use in a bread machine...

Pepperoni Cheese Bread - 2 lb loaf

Add ingredients in this order:

1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 1/4 cups bread flour
Approx. 2 cups of cheese (I have used both cheddar and mozzarella)
About 3 oz of sliced pepperoni (I don't chop it up. The machine does a nice job of doing that on its own)
1 3/4 tsp active dry yeast

I used the program on my machine to for "sweet breads" which I think is about 3 1/2 hours long.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
This made me think of Tiff

Black Bean Sweet Potato Salad
Ingredients

4 large sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped into cubes)

1 can(s) black beans (drained and rinsed)

3 Tbsp vinaigrette salad dressing

salt and pepper to taste

2 green onions (finely chopped)

1 dash(es) red pepper (cayenne)

1/2 c flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)

Directions

1. Boil the sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes or until just tender. Do not overcook!!

2. Drain water off of sweet potatoes and put in a large mixing bowl.

3. Pour in Vinaigrette salad dressing, add salt and pepper.

4. Pour in the drained/rinsed black beans. Set bowl aside to cool.

5. Once the mixture has cooled down, add onions, parsley and the red pepper (you can omit the red pepper or add more to your liking).

6. Toss all ingredients together. This dish is wonderful at room temperature or cold!

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Ok soo Summers finally here. Here's a easy trouble free ice cream recipe.

Soda Pop Ice Cream Recipe

Ingredients
•4 C cold soda pop, any flavor
•1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
•1 C whole milk

Instructions
•Mix all ingredients together and pour into 2 qt. ice cream maker.
•Freeze as directed
•Place in freezer after finished to harden up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread