The Posse that cooks together...Recipe Thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Buttery Slow Cooker Cabbage, Pierogies, and Kielbasa
By Deanna Samaan

Buttery Slow Cooker Cabbage, Pierogies, and Kielbasa
  • Active Time
    10 min.

• Total Time
    6 hr. 10 min.

Ingredients
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 medium cabbage, cored and chopped
  • 1 box of frozen pierogies
  • 1 skinless kielbasa, sliced into chunks
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 4 medium carrots, shredded
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp celery seed
Directions
  1. Spray the inside of the crock of the slow cooker with cooking spray.

2. Place the butter, lemon juice, and celery seed in the slow cooker.

3. Add the pierogies, cabbage, onion, keilbassa, and carrots to it.

4. Place the lid on the slow cooker and let it cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir occasionally.

5. Remove from slow cooker and ENJOY!

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Blender Peach Ice Cream

Ingredients
3 cup frozen Peach Slices
1 1/2cup Milk
2 tbsp Honey

Instructions
Add milk and sugar to blender.
Gradually add peach slices to puree.
When every thing is incorporated, mixture will resemble loose soft serve. Transfer to glass loaf pan and place in freezer until firm.
If mixture gets too hard, sit pan in warm water to loosen from pan. Break up frozen mixture and run through blender again to soften.

Blender Peach Ice Cream - CincyShopper

FlyingV

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2010
Verified Witchdoctor - In a Hut
I'm searching for a recipe for old fashioned crullers. Not the french circle ones, but the denser stick ones that are awesome for dunking in coffee. My grandmother used to make them, but she didn't have a written recipe. She always cooked and baked by handfuls, pinches, tea cups... I never wrote down what she did for these, so if any of you can help I'd appreciate it. My hips won't, but I don't care. :lol:

Reactions: Opinionated

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
sd1d20_crullers.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.jpeg

Total:
1 hr 10 min
Active:
25 min
Yield:
12 servings
Level:
Intermediate

Ingredients
Crullers:
  • 1 cup water
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 eggs
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
Glaze:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk

Directions
Make the Crullers: Combine the water, butter, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Immediately remove from the heat, add all the flour at once, and stir hard with a wooden spoon until all the flour is incorporated, about 30 to 60 seconds. Return the pan to the heat and cook, stirring, to evaporate some of the moisture, about 2 minutes.

Scrape the mixture into a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer or mix by hand), and mix at medium speed. With the mixer running, and adding 1 egg at a time, add 3 of the eggs, stopping after each addition to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix until the dough is smooth and glossy and the eggs are completely incorporated. The dough should be thick, but should fall slowly and steadily from the beaters when you lift them out of the bowl. If the dough is still clinging to the beaters, add another egg and mix until completely incorporated.

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip (use a large size, like #12), pipe the dough onto the sheet pan in rows of 2 1/2-inch rings or sticks. Freeze them for 30 minutes to make them easier to pick up.

Meanwhile, make the Glaze: Stir together the powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl.

Pour the vegetable oil into a large pot to a depth of 2 inches and heat to 325 degrees F. Working in batches, lift the dough circles off the sheet pan and carefully slip them into the oil. Fry, turning once, until lightly browned. Drain the crullers on a brown paper bag; then dip them completely in the glaze. Let the crullers cool and set before serving.

Recipe courtesy of Gale Gand

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Fastnachts (Pennsylvania Dutch/German Crullers)
Fastnachts Recipe, PA Dutch Crullers, German Doughnuts | from Teri's Kitchen
Makes about 2 dozen doughnuts

Fastnacht Day is a special Pennsylvania Dutch celebration that originated in the German homeland. It falls on Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. It actually translates to "Fast Night". The tradition is to eat the very best, and lots of it, before the Lenten fast. Fastnachts (pronounced fost-nokts) are doughnuts. There are three types of Fastnachts, one made with yeast, one made with baking powder, and one made with potatoes and yeast. All are slightly crispy on the outside and not as sweet as standard doughnuts. My family usually had crullers, at least in my memory, which do not use yeast. I have recipes for both the crullers, spelled cruellers in PA Dutch country, as in this posting, and yeast Fastnachts. Both are very good, but the crullers are less time-consuming and my personal favorite. A cousin shared her family recipe for potato Fastnachts. That recipe, as well as the yeast version, is on the full page view linked above. Traditionally, all Fastnachts were made with, and fried in, lard. I have altered that in the recipes since it is so difficult to find in contemporary grocery stores.

Ingredients
  • 3-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground mace
  • 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening (preferably non-hydrogenated)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
  • 1 cup milk, room temperature
  • Vegetable or canola oil for frying, about 2 quarts
Place the flour, baking powder, salt and mace in a medium bowl. Stir with a wire whisk to combine. Set aside.

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until creamy. Gradually add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, mixing on low speed, just until well-combined. Place on a floured board. Work the dough lightly with your hands, adding a little more flour as needed if it is too sticky. (This dough should be very soft, something like biscuit dough, so don't add more flour than necessary.) Gently roll the dough into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle or square. Using a sharp knife, cut into 2-inch squares or similarly sized rectangles.

Heat the oil in a deep-sided pot over medium heat to 375° F. Carefully add the Fastnachts to the oil, about 6 per batch, and fry until well-browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip and brown the other side for another 2 or 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining Fastnachts.

Notes: If desired, the crullers can be rolled in granulated or powdered sugar while still warm. A common PA Dutch tradition is to cut the cruller down the center and drizzle some molasses or corn syrup on each half. That was the way my father ate them. Personally, I like them just the way they are.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
German Potato Salad Author: Holly Ingredients 2 pounds red potatoes 1 teaspoon salt 1 (12 ounce) package applewood smoked bacon, cut in one-inch pieces ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar 3 Tablespoons sugar 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon pepper 1 Tablespoon freshly minced garlic ½ cup freshly chopped parsley Instructions 1. Start by scrubbing and cleaning potatoes with water. Dry. Cut into large chunks trying to keep all equal in size. Place potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil. Season with the one teaspoon of salt and boil potatoes for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Turn off burner. Drain water then place pot back on burner. Let potatoes steam dry for a few minutes. 2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cook bacon pieces over medium-high heat until crispy. When done cooking remove bacon with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate; leaving bacon grease in saucepan. Remove pan from burner to let grease cool down a bit. Slowly add vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to saucepan. Place pot back on burner and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and let simmer a few minutes. Stir in minced garlic and let cook only 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and carefully pour mixture over the cooked potatoes. Fold until all the liquid is absorbed then stir in bacon and parsley. Serve potato salad warm and enjoy!

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
I've made this stove top in an iron skillet.

Grilled Shrimp and Sausage with Peppers and Onions
added by Ashley Muller

Ingredients
1 large onion, diced 1/2" pieces
1 large pepper, any color, diced 1/2" pieces
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced in 1/4" coins
20 large raw shrimp, fresh or frozen, peeled & cleaned with tail on or off
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c unsalted butter
4 Tbsp parmigiano-reggiano, grated
5 small potatoes, diced 1/2" pieces (optional)
1 small package angel hair pasta (optional)
2 c rice (optional)
Directions
1. Dice onions, peppers (I used 1/2 a green pepper and 1/2 an orange pepper) and slice sausage.
2. In a disposable aluminum pan, add the butter. Place over grill.
3. Add sausage, garlic and veggies to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. When sausage and veggies are al' dente add shrimp. Cook for an additional 2-4 minutes until all of the shrimp are pink. Top with grated parmigiano-reggiano. Serve as is, with potatoes or over angel hair pasta or rice.
5. OPTIONAL: To serve with potatoes. Add potatoes to the butter and begin cooking before adding the sausage and veggies. When they are al' dente add the sausage, garlic and veggies and continue following steps 3 & 4.
6. OPTIONAL: To serve over angel hair pasta. Follow steps 1-4. In addition, boil pasta like normal until al'dente. Drain water. In a large frying pan add 3-5 TBS. unsalted butter. Continue cooking the butter until you see it foaming and the butter getting brown. Add the drained noodles and fry them in the butter for 1-3 minutes, or until the noodles have turned slightly brown from the butter. Put the noodles in a serving dish and top with the sausage, shrimp and veggie mixture and the parmigiano-reggiano.
7. OPTIONAL: To serve over rice. Follow steps 1-4. In addition cook rice like normal. Put the rice in a serving dish and top with the sausage, shrimp and veggie mixture and the parmigiano-reggiano.

FlyingV

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2010
Verified Witchdoctor - In a Hut
This one's for you Drott, I've tried zillions and this is my top choice:

Pizza Dough

4 C flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast
300ml warm water

Combine dry ingredients, add water, mix, and knead. (I knead for 5 minutes in the kitchenaid)

Proof for one hour or until doubled.

I divide into 4 8 oz. portions. 2 go in greased tupperwares, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. The other two I proof again for another hour. Flour the ball well and push into a 12" round. Top and cook.

The ones that are in the fridge will need to sit out and warm for about 2 hours before being used. I imagine that you could cut the recipe in half, but having those extra two sitting around means we get to have pizza again shortly. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread