The ProVari challenge....(or just how stupid am I.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, without a power source attached and with all its' capacitors drained you could do that with any electronic device. They key is to make sure it is 100% free of water before applying power to it again. That being said...:ohmy:

Water isnt the problem.. the minerals in water is.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Something tells me that fancy little OLED display would not like water too much either......

Yeah, they're not too big on liquid of any sort. I panicked a touch yesterday, while cleaning my Hana (to put a new wrap on it). A touch of Windex hit the screen (repeat: "I am what I am") and my heart literally JUMPED. Thankfully it just went into the recess, and never got to the actual screen.

I was able to "dab" it out, and all is fine (phwew!). I usually separate my cleanings, so nothing takes place after working with the Provari. I don't put much thought into THAT one, since they take my beatings (easily). Yesterday was an exception which will NOT be repeated.

D'oh!

Now I'm nervous that you're even TALKING about my mods. ;)

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL

You act like I'm the grim reaper of mods.....

My two MVP 2's are working just fine, thank you very much. And I'm not near fool enough to dunk one of those in a full cup of water. No way to dry it out well.

I'm telling you I totally appreciate that completely open design with the board just sitting in the tube.....And to think I used to think that was just a cheap move.....yeah....

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
You act like I'm the grim reaper of mods.....

My two MVP 2's are working just fine, thank you very much. And I'm not near fool enough to dunk one of those in a full cup of water. No way to dry it out well.

I'm telling you I totally appreciate that completely open design with the board just sitting in the tube.....And to think I used to think that was just a cheap move.....yeah....

Don't take me seriously, P. I am the grim reaper of mods - not you. Get it straight.

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Yeah, they're not too big on liquid of any sort. I panicked a touch yesterday, while cleaning my Hana (to put a new wrap on it). A touch of Windex hit the screen (repeat: "I am what I am") and my heart literally JUMPED. Thankfully it just went into the recess, and never got to the actual screen.

I was able to "dab" it out, and all is fine (phwew!). I usually separate my cleanings, so nothing takes place after working with the Provari. I don't put much thought into THAT one, since they take my beatings (easily). Yesterday was an exception which will NOT be repeated.

D'oh!

Windex and polycarbonates are not a good mix. I've seen many motorcycle windshields and helmet visors ruined by it.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Okay guys I know you can't wait and neither could I. 20 hours after the dunk test I couldn't wait any longer....Will it vape?????

ProVari tube.jpg

How you liking that control board just sitting there out in the open now??? Could you imagine how hard it would be to get water out of it if it was semi-sealed??? You'd have to pry off the top cap or some how get to it through the bottom. But no problem. Shake it out. Reach out with paper towels as far up as you can, dry out what you can. Put it in rice.

ProVari_1_8.jpg

I know you can't read it, but it's checking my ohms on the Kayfun and it's right at 1.8 ohms. Just where it's always been.

ProVari_vapin.jpg

You can't see me, but there is a very happy smile behind that vapor cloud...

So now that the challenge is over, we can deduce the following:

1. I'm an idiot.
2. The ProVari is built for idiots like me. All of the claims of other people regarding the ruggedness of the ProVari are true. Funny thing is, the E-LVT said it was rated for very basic water resistance, the ProVari makes no such claims. Yet the ProVari is built in such a way that that any exposure to liquid can be easily rectified where the E-LVT required extensive disassembly.
3. I understand why the ProVari has a primitive LED display and why things are done the way they are. It makes me appreciate it that much more.
4. I am now comfortable using my ProVari in whatever situation I find myself in (other than scuba diving of course...)

Hope this thread helped. It was definitely an eye opening experience for me. And it makes me feel so much better about my own investment in the ProVari.

I hope it was entertaining and enlightening to you as well.

Last edited:

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Kinda the same thing happened to me except it was my expensive ring that flung off my finger into the toilet right when I flushed. I didn't have a chance to fish it out, wouldn't have cared if it was #1 or #2. I would have still stuck my hand in there if there was any chance of rescuing it.

I had my Provari fall out of my shirt pocket as I was flushing (#1), and I rinsed it out and put by the fireplace....no issues....washing it out with water was freaking me out.....but the Vari took a bath and kept on vapin...:D

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Nicely done!
Takes a brave man to do cutting edge scientific experimentation.

OK, so I googled for a monkey going into space - and i got....
a monkey VAPING while going into space!

BA59B6EF-8845-413F-9250-E4A83DB256D1_mw1024_n_s.jpg
Wait, wasn't that in the New York Times article "Execution by E-cig Vapor - 100X Deadlier Than Lethal Injection"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread