billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I just ordered a bottle of Vaper's Knoll Our-Y4. I haven't had it years. I hope it's still as good as it was back then.

In the opinion of two of us — passerbyeus and myself — the main flavoring in Vaper's Knoll Our-Y4 seemed to be FlavourArt all-in-one RY4 flavoring. Additional ingredients might have been used also, but both of us felt that retail Our-Y4 was remarkably similar to our DIY FlavourArt RY4.

Again, very good stuff.

SKYYcamel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2009
Mississippi
In the opinion of two of us — passerbyeus and myself — the main flavoring in Vaper's Knoll Our-Y4 seemed to be FlavourArt all-in-one RY4 flavoring. Additional ingredients might have been used also, but both of us felt that retail Our-Y4 was remarkably similar to our DIY FlavourArt RY4.

Again, very good stuff.
Just received it today. I imagine a good steep will bring out it's best flavor, so I'll try to leave it alone for now.

clamman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
new york
ok don't know it this thread is still being read? but in serch for a new ry4 both in pg blend and vg blend (subtank). besides my fruit flavors that I vape most of the time
My go to juice is now gone ikenvape closed his doors :( so looking for something that tastes just like his I loved his juice it got me off smoking so in need of something that tastes the same. anyone have any suggestions?

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
ok don't know it this thread is still being read? but in serch for a new ry4 both in pg blend and vg blend (subtank). besides my fruit flavors that I vape most of the time
My go to juice is now gone ikenvape closed his doors :( so looking for something that tastes just like his I loved his juice it got me off smoking so in need of something that tastes the same. anyone have any suggestions?

In the same way that nothing could replace or replicate Backwoods Brew RY4, so nothing can replace or replicate Ikenvape RY4 Gold. It's gone forever.

Search the thread for "The Big RY4 List" and check out the top-rated RY4s. They won't taste like IKV RY4, but you might find something you like.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
havent been here in a while,any body figure out what to use for diy to replacte the original ruyan/dekang ry4(200?-2011) flavor was for diy?

The simple answer is no.

The more complex response involves the history of RY4. Very few vapers ever had the original Ruyan liquid from 2005-2006, and the few who have offer different opinions as to its flavor profile. In general, we can say with confidence that it wasn't the same as the original RY4 that was created ad hoc by Ludo and Dekang's flavor chemist in a Dekang lab one day in 2007. So, the "original" RY4 wasn't from Ruyan or Dekang — it was Janty RY4, marketed in 2007, then followed within a year by Dekang's version of RY4, which was similar but not identical to the Janty formula — Dekang's was simpler, and without a sour element. That's the version that most people mistakenly think of as the "original" RY4, but it was actually the second version.

Subsequently, the Dekang recipe was lost (stolen) in 2009, and has never been recovered. Supposedly, Dekang's DK4 is close to the initial, well-known Dekang version from 2008, but even that is disputed by some people.

Here's a generic DIY recipe for RY4:

1.5–3.3% Synthetic Tobacco flavoring
2.5-4.2% Caramel flavoring
2.5–4.2% Vanilla or Bavarian Cream flavoring
Optional:
0.5–1.5% Sour flavoring

I'd suggest using FlavourArt Burley or Virginia or a combination of these as the synthetic tobacco component, but hundreds of other lab-based tobacco flavorings are available, so experiment to see what works and what doesn't. The same applies to the many brands and variations of vanilla and caramel flavoring. Some combinations work; others don't.

The Sour option is an attempt to replicate the sourness of the original Janty RY4. I've tried both Lorann Tart & Sour (citric acid and malic acid) and TFA Sour (straight malic acid), but neither comes close to the Janty formula. Very few modern Custom RY4s have a sour component — Janty used a sour element to balance out and complement the sweetness of the caramel/vanilla.

The devil is in the details, of course — getting the percentages right is as important as the choice of flavorings.

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
The simple answer is no.

The more complex response involves the history of RY4. Very few vapers ever had the original Ruyan liquid from 2005-2006, and the few who have offer different opinions as to its flavor profile. In general, we can say with confidence that it wasn't the same as the original RY4 that was created ad hoc by Ludo and Dekang's flavor chemist in a Dekang lab one day in 2007. So, the "original" RY4 wasn't from Ruyan or Dekang — it was Janty RY4, marketed in 2007, then followed within a year by Dekang's version of RY4, which was similar but not identical to the Janty formula — Dekang's was simpler, and without a sour element. That's the version that most people mistakenly think of as the "original" RY4, but it was actually the second version.

Subsequently, the Dekang recipe was lost (stolen) in 2009, and has never been recovered. Supposedly, Dekang's DK4 is close to the initial, well-known Dekang version from 2008, but even that is disputed by some people.

Here's a generic DIY recipe for RY4:

1.5–3.3% Synthetic Tobacco flavoring
2.5-4.2% Caramel flavoring
2.5–4.2% Vanilla or Bavarian Cream flavoring
Optional:
0.5–1.5% Sour flavoring

I'd suggest using FlavourArt Burley or Virginia or a combination of these as the synthetic tobacco component, but hundreds of other lab-based tobacco flavorings are available, so experiment to see what works and what doesn't. The same applies to the many brands and variations of vanilla and caramel flavoring. Some combinations work; others don't.

The Sour option is an attempt to replicate the sourness of the original Janty RY4. I've tried both Lorann Tart & Sour (citric acid and malic acid) and TFA Sour (straight malic acid), but neither comes close to the Janty formula. Very few modern Custom RY4s have a sour component — Janty used a sour element to balance out and complement the sweetness of the caramel/vanilla.

The devil is in the details, of course — getting the percentages right is as important as the choice of flavorings.

Any suggestions regarding the other two ingredients?

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Any suggestions regarding the other two ingredients?

The other two ingredients? I don't know what you're referring to.

We can assume with certainty that both Janty and Dekang RY4s — whether in their original RY4 recipes from way back in 2007 and 2008, or in their current RY4 formulations — use more than just the "Holy Trinity" of three core flavorings that comprise the essence of RY4 — synthetic tobacco, caramel, and vanilla. Those additional flavorings are used as accents in very tiny percentages to tweak the flavor profile. Whatever they may be, they're not standard, off-the-shelf, commercially-available flavorings of the kind that DIYers can obtain. As far as I know, no one in the DIY world is clued into what those additional flavorings might be now or might have been back in 2007 and 2008.

Years ago on this thread, we learned that Janty may have used an unusual Pine Seed flavoring in its original 2007 RY4, but it was nothing like the typical "piney" smell/taste that people associate with Pine-Sol. I've never seen anything like that Pine Seed flavor offered by any commercial flavoring company.

Most DIYers mix very simply. If a recipe calls for Vanilla, they use whatever Vanilla flavoring they have at hand. But real Vanilla comes in literally hundreds of variations that span a wide range of flavor chemistry. A professional eliquid maker may use nine or ten different vanilla flavorings in combination to come up with just the right overall Vanilla taste for whatever flavor profile they're intending. This is one reason why some retail juice blends are extremely difficult to replicate with simple DIY. RY4 seems straightforward as a composite flavor, but it's really not.

The recipe I offered in my earlier post was meant to be a starting point for DIY RY4.

Last edited:
Reactions: clnire

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Thank you @billherbst. I was referring to the Caramel & Vanilla. You suggested FA burley or virginia but made no suggestions regarding caramel or vanilla.

Ah, I see.

I made no recommendations for vanilla or caramel because there are literally hundreds of those flavorings on the market, and their flavor profiles vary both widely and wildly. Tobacco is easier to narrow down. For instance, we wouldn't use Latakia, Perique, or Turkish as a base tobacco flavor for RY4. They're too idiosyncratic. In a great RY4, the tobacco component doesn't standout or call attention to itself. The tobacco flavoring acts as an almost neutral base. Burley is the best, because of its depth and relative neutrality, and Virginia is second, because of its light brightness. Some flavoring companies have a generic synthetic tobacco that's a blend, and those might work. But among varietals, only Burley and Virginia are likely candidates.

Vanilla and caramel, however, are a complete crap-shoot. Not only do they have to complement the tobacco flavoring, but they have to work together harmoniously, and that's not as easy or simple as grabbing whatever brand and kind of vanilla and caramel a DIYer might have in a limited stash of flavorings. Some work, some don't, but you don't know until you try using them in an RY4 mix.

DIYing a good RY4 is mostly a hit-and-miss experience that requires many different experiments. In my own flavoring cabinets, I have 53 different vanillas and 35 different caramels. Most people, though, haven't dived into DIY flavorings as deeply or with as much abandon as I have. Amassing all those flavorings has taken me many years.

But who knows? Any given person might buy a couple bottles of flavoring and come up with a winning RY4 on their very first try.

Last edited:

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
Ah, I see.

I made no recommendations for vanilla or caramel because there are literally hundreds of those flavorings on the market, and their flavor profiles vary both widely and wildly. Tobacco is easier to narrow down. For instance, we wouldn't use Latakia, Perique, or Turkish as a base tobacco flavor for RY4. They're too idiosyncratic. In a great RY4, the tobacco component doesn't standout or call attention to itself. The tobacco flavoring acts as an almost neutral base. Burley is the best, because of its depth and relative neutrality, and Virginia is second, because of its light brightness. Some flavoring companies have a generic synthetic tobacco that's a blend, and those might work. But among varietals, only Burley and Virginia are likely candidates.

Vanilla and caramel, however, are a complete crap-shoot. Not only do they have to complement the tobacco flavoring, but they have to work together harmoniously, and that's not as easy or simple as grabbing whatever brand and kind of vanilla and caramel a DIYer might have in a limited stash of flavorings. Some work, some don't, but you don't know until to try using them in an RY4 mix.

DIYing a good RY4 is mostly a hit-and-miss experience that requires many different experiments. In my own flavoring cabinets, I have 53 different vanillas and 35 different caramels. Most people, though, haven't dived into DIY flavorings as deeply or with as much abandon as I have. Amassing all those flavorings has taken me many years.

But who knows? Any given person might buy a couple bottles of flavoring and come up with a winning RY4 on their very first try.

Tell me about it...after several attempts I gave in and just used TFA's DY4 and FA's RY4. Lately I've been using mainly the former and adding a hint of AP to get a decent Tribecca clone, or a tad bit of Dulce Di Leche (I hope I'm pronouncing it right) for a sweeter vape. I would appreciate any advice on good RY4 flavorings or recipes really since we don't have many good ejuice vendors in Egypt.

Reactions: NandyDC

medman1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Tampa
I will give that recipe a shot,I looked in the past for that other flavor in the old ry4,it tasted kinda peppery to me,i just cant describe it,I even tried pandan flavoring.
I could only find boxes of cartos with the old dekang ry4 by the time the old stock ran out(2010?)I bought all i could get,lol,tried to make them last but couldnt do it.then everybody and their brother had an ry4 ,i bought them all,wasted a ton of money,i never found any that was even close,period.
It seems that if ludo knew the recipe he would have came out with exact same ry4,something always seemed weird about that,if someone actully knew the old ry4 recipe,they could have made a lot of money.Im sure it would be the biggest selling eliquid,hands down.

jackmormon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
For those still buying retail RY4's, I found one that I am really enjoying. It is from Ohm's Vapes. They are a value priced juice vendor and have a very large selection of juices which is usually a turn off for me. I tried a few of their fruity vapes and was very pleasantly surprised. Tried the RY4 and am totally in love. I let it steep for a month and I am not sure how to review it other than to say if you like Mr. Vape or Butterfly's you will like Ohm's RY4. I can't tell any difference between Mr. Vape's blend and Ohm's except maybe Ohm's is a little less sweet. Hard to describe other than that but it is VERY good. 17.99 for 100ML bottle and frequent sales also helps ;)

I am on my second batch now after letting it steep for a month and the consistency is there. Just like the 1st batch.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
For those still buying retail RY4's, I found one that I am really enjoying. It is from Ohm's Vapes. They are a value priced juice vendor and have a very large selection of juices which is usually a turn off for me. I tried a few of their fruity vapes and was very pleasantly surprised. Tried the RY4 and am totally in love. I let it steep for a month and I am not sure how to review it other than to say if you like Mr. Vape or Butterfly's you will like Ohm's RY4. I can't tell any difference between Mr. Vape's blend and Ohm's except maybe Ohm's is a little less sweet. Hard to describe other than that but it is VERY good. 17.99 for 100ML bottle and frequent sales also helps ;)

I am on my second batch now after letting it steep for a month and the consistency is there. Just like the 1st batch.

Thanks for the heads up, Jack. What setup are you using for Ohm's Vapes RY4?

jackmormon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Thanks for the heads up, Jack. What setup are you using for Ohm's Vapes RY4?

Hey Bill,

That would be my dedicated RY4 ADV setup ;)

Subtank Plus, V2 RBA head, 24G TI wire, 3MM, 5 wraps on a Reuleaux DNA200 running at 27.5 watts. I always go for 70VG/30PG on RY4 and 6MG nic.

I might consider a different tank but haven't found a single coil RTA with as large of a capacity as the Subtank Plus. I go through 10-15ML of RY4 every day.

Other types of juices I use 3mg nic and higher wattage builds. They are just supplements to the RY4 though.

I put juices in 2 categories: RY4 & Other. Ohm's is one of the best I have ever tried and it is very economical considering the amount I go through.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Hey Bill,

That would be my dedicated RY4 ADV setup ;)

Subtank Plus, V2 RBA head, 24G TI wire, 3MM, 5 wraps on a Reuleaux DNA200 running at 27.5 watts. I always go for 70VG/30PG on RY4 and 6MG nic.

I might consider a different tank but haven't found a single coil RTA with as large of a capacity as the Subtank Plus. I go through 10-15ML of RY4 every day.

Other types of juices I use 3mg nic and higher wattage builds. They are just supplements to the RY4 though.

I put juices in 2 categories: RY4 & Other. Ohm's is one of the best I have ever tried and it is very economical considering the amount I go through.

10-15ml of RY4 every day. Wow.

mattymatt82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Kansas City
I just wanted to say thanks to Bill for this thread, it is one of my favorites on ECF. I have posted a few times in it, 3 years ago I think..lol. Bill has a way with reviews that makes me want to buy way to many RY4s! Just made up a new DIY batch of TFA RY4 double and I took Bill advise and added 1% AP to it.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I just wanted to say thanks to Bill for this thread, it is one of my favorites on ECF. I have posted a few times in it, 3 years ago I think..lol. Bill has a way with reviews that makes me want to buy way to many RY4s! Just made up a new DIY batch of TFA RY4 double and I took Bill advise and added 1% AP to it.

Thanks. Even though this is now an old, old thread, and despite my having largely moved on, I'm happy to see the thread putter along anyway.

CraftyZA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
South Africa
www.fdev.co.za
I had a bunch of janty ry4 pre filled carts from 2006/7 about.
Nothing on the current market comes close. The ceo of hangseng claims that hs ry4 is the real deal, but it is not.
I stripped those carts i had, and wrapped 1 ohm coils at 7 watts. This was purely to get flavor.
With the flavor in my mouth, i would start mixing, and never came close.
1 ingredient i am sure of is dulce de leche.
It gives those dark under tones that does not come from the tobacco.
Dk tobacco is my preferred base when nixing for ry4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread