The Rebel and Boxer 3D printed APV Box Mods Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I have 3D printed Rebel DNA75 26650/18650 Box Mod on order from esauce in the U.K. After vaping for 7 years it will be my first "high end" mod, my first experience with an Evolv chipset boarded device, and will also be my first APV that uses 26650 batteries.

I had also considered the Boxer Mod Classic DNA75W 26650 or the Boxer Mod Classic YiHi75W 26650, both available from esauce in the U.K., or from Ginger Vaper in the US.

In the end I decided on the Rebel version of this type of 3D printed device because reviews indicated that the Rebel Mods are color dyed using a process that holds up much better over time than that of the Boxer Mods.

I could have easily decided the other way, and only time will tell if my choice was a good one. There are very few reviews available at this time for either one of these companies and the mods they make. I believe Boxer started making these types of mods before Rebel did, but neither company has been making them for all that long.

What few reviews are out there on these tend to be a mix of good and bad. Most of the bad reviews pertaining to poor, unresponsive customer service from either Ginger Vaper or esauce, neither of which actually builds these mods - they just sell them. Positive reviews were generally very positive. People who like their 3D printed mods seem to really, really like them - typically using them as their primary APV.

Other than that, the Boxer Mod devices tend to be widely recognized as having a color finish that fades noticeably over time. Other than their gray colored models - which are not dyed at all, but are instead printed with a gray nylon. The gray colored Rebel mods are also made using gray nylon, but other mod color options from both companies are typically created using very different dying processes applied to white nylon.

These 3D printed mods are all pretty cool in that they are slightly smaller overall compared to non-3D printed mods with otherwise similar capabilities. They are also substantially lighter in weight, but relatively tough - because their nylon outer body provides good hard impact absorption.

I am interested in other forum members experiences with these 3D printed mods, so I have created this thread in the hopes of gathering together everything we can find out about these devices. I will give a review here (with pics, of course) as soon as I get mine and have had a chance to play with it for awhile.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I don't have a 3D printed box, but I have read good things about them. The preference for them is a personal taste thing.

Are you aware there is a new DNA 75c launching? Advantages on it are the ability to set lots of stuff directly on the mod rather than through eScribe (although eScribe is still available and fully functional). It does have a color screen which is not a big deal, but it does raise the output to 9V from 6V, which is a nice change for somewhat lower builds/heavier loads to draw upon. It is close to, but not quite, a drop in replacement for the 75. The board appears to be the same size, but the screen is a bit larger and there is a third button that has to be accommodated.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I don't have a 3D printed box, but I have read good things about them. The preference for them is a personal taste thing.

Are you aware there is a new DNA 75c launching? Advantages on it are the ability to set lots of stuff directly on the mod rather than through eScribe (although eScribe is still available and fully functional). It does have a color screen which is not a big deal, but it does raise the output to 9V from 6V, which is a nice change for somewhat lower builds/heavier loads to draw upon. It is close to, but not quite, a drop in replacement for the 75. The board appears to be the same size, but the screen is a bit larger and there is a third button that has to be accommodated.

No, I've not heard of the DNA75C board. I'll have to check into that, but I assume there are not many devices out yet that use it? I have heard of the DNA60 board, and the first 3D printed mod that caught my eye when I was first looking into buying a higher end mod was Boxer Mod's V2 DNA60W 26500. That mod is even smaller and lighter than their Classic DNA75W, but is currently unavailable.

I would've ordered Boxer's V2 DNA60W right off the bat if it had been available, but I'm glad I didn't - as I've decided I don't really like Boxer Mod's V2 configured mods at all. The idea of having to use a silicone sleeve on your mod to keep the battery in place (there is no battery door) just kind of rubs me the wrong way. I hate having to remove silicone sleeves to switch out batteries, which I had to do regularly with my old IPV D2.

At least with the IPV D2 I didn't have to use the silicone sleeve if I didn't want to, but its slick and poorly painted finish made me feel using a sleeve was probably a good idea, so that's what I did. That's one of several reasons why I much prefer my iStick Pico 75s over the IPV D2 (along with their being smaller and lighter), because I could use a grip enhancing protective sleeve on them - and yet still easily switch out batteries without having to remove the sleeve.

That is also one thing (among several) that I like about the Classic Boxer mods and the Rebel mods, they have enough inherent grip and drop protection that I won't feel I need to use a silicone sleeve on them to help prevent device breaking drops. Plus, without a silicone sleeve, I should probably be able to get the mod in and out of my pockets a little bit easier. I believe Boxer Mod has silicone sleeves available in a variety of colors for all of their 3D printed mods (both the Classic and V2 versions), but Rebel reportedly won't have silicone sleeves out for theirs until much, much later this year.

I'm just a tootle puffing mouth-to-lung vapor guy, so I don't really have a need for a board that can regularly handle super lower resistance/heavier load drawing builds. I can see how that would be nice for some other folks though. One major complaint I've heard regarding the DNA75 is that it does not handle the low resistance/heavy load drawing builds well, or at all. I think the equivalent YiHi board (the SX350J V2) supposedly does a somewhat better job of handling those sorts of builds, but I have no direct experience with that, so I don't know for sure.

i'll be saving up for a Rebel DNA75C. really liking the Rebel...

I'm not aware of Rebel coming out with a DNA75C anytime soon, but it would make sense for them to do so once that board is more commonly available. I'd be interested to see what they could do with the DNA60 board that has recently been released, but I'm not holding my breath while I wait around for them to do that.

I think the FDA Deeming Regulations thing here in the U.S. are starting to have an impact on the speed at which newer devices will be introduced - and as to whether or not some newer devices will be introduced at all (at least here in the U.S., and possibly even elsewhere - since we have such a large vaping market here). It is a real shame. I hope Congress (or the President?) gets its (or his) act in order and puts a stop to that, or at least tones down those regulations, but that's just one more thing I'm not waiting around and holding my breath for.

Last edited:
Reactions: nelsonm64

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Evolv claims they got this in under the August 2016 deeming rule so they would be able to sell and to file a PMTA rather than wait for an approval. The implied statements I heard suggest this is not the only board they got in under the deadline, which leads me to believe a 250c is also likely to be offered. How soon until widespread retail availability? No idea.

Reactions: nelsonm64

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I still have an inkling of interest for a Rebel Yihi 550J...I think I was told it also fits flush (like the Boxer Yihi 550J) 40mm atomizers (like the Modfather) They both make some excellent little mods, but the gap in the battery door kind of annoys me...lol.

The Carbon Fiber SX Mini G Class 550J 200W (pictured below on the left), is the mod that first got me seriously interested in buying a higher end mod. I think it is a pretty cool looking piece of equipment. It has maybe a touch too much bling on it for my tastes, but I still love the carbon fiber look of it anyway. I think either one would be too big and heavy a mod for my particular MTL vaping needs. The Rebel and Boxer 550J mods are much more utilitarian looking to my eye compared to the SX Mini G Class, but they still look pretty good in their own right (like the orange Rebel Vapes one pictured below on the right). From the pictures it looks like maybe the SX Mini G Class is actually smaller, though it is almost certainly heavier. I believe the Rebel and Boxer 550J mods are also maybe a bit more expensive. I had mixed feeling about that battery door gap too (on the 3D printed mods). That's just how they are designed, and the design reportedly works well for its purpose, so I didn't let that hold me back from making my purchase.

upload_2017-4-19_12-7-5.jpeg
Rebel Vape 550J 200W.png

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Yeah, no comment. Think of all those poor 250s sitting on the shelf realizing they're never going to reach a loving home while everybody waits for their superstar brother to appear.

I have a feeling it's the color DNAs. I hope I'm right lol. He said it's going to be the next big thing by Lost Vape right after the drone, and it's not a DNA 250 squonker...at least I don't think it'd be one....that'd be one big 'ol mod for triple 18650s or a Lipo and squonk bottle.

Reactions: Eskie

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I'm really rather curious what the actual "unloaded" weight is of these various 3D printed mods. Sure, I expect them to be lighter than your average similar sized metal box mods, but I have absolutely no idea by how much.

I never see any weight listed in the specifications for these mods. I even have a hard time finding their correct height, length and width dimensions sometimes - as those are also not always listed in their specifications either.

Any information regarding the specific weights (and/or dimensions) of these mods that our fellow forum members can provide here would be much appreciated. I am also curious if anyone has had any issues with 26650 battery fit in those 3D printed mods that take them. There have been some reports of that, because apparently not all 26650 batteries are the same length (or "height", depending on your point-of-view).

I have some Home Grown 4307mah 51.6A 26650 batteries I purchased recently that are 65mm in length, which should work fine, but I won't know for sure until I receive my mod. Supposedly these are pretty good batteries of this type, specifically made for "high performance" vape purposes. They are 15.96whr, but I have no idea what any of those specs mean as far as how many Joules I should expect to get out of a single charge from them. They were only about $9 (+ S&H) when bought in modest bulk (I got 4), which seems like a pretty good price. Reviews on them seem favorable. Any opinions on good 26650 batteries to use in these devices?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Never heard of Home Grown, and I definitely never heard of a 51.6A rating. Best I know of is 30A on the iJoys. I've also never seen a capacity listed as 4307 mAh. That seems suspiciously specific. Here's the standard Mooch list of recommended batteries which includes some 26650s. Even Efest managed to make the list.
Battery Chart.jpeg

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Hohm Growns are 23a continuous cells, identical to the Basen and Brillpower 26650's per Mooch.

Bottom Line
This is only a 23A cell that I am rating at 4300mAh. It is identical in appearance and performance to the Basen and Brillipower 4500mAh cells. It is damaged after just a single discharge at its 32.3A rating and the voltage at that discharge current level is very low. The Grown cell only delivers 181mAh down to 3.2V at its rated 32.3A.

Reactions: KenD

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Never heard of Home Grown, and I definitely never heard of a 51.6A rating. Best I know of is 30A on the iJoys. I've also never seen a capacity listed as 4307 mAh. That seems suspiciously specific. Here's the standard Mooch list of recommended batteries which includes some 26650s. Even Efest managed to make the list.

The 51.6A is Hohm Grown's self-proclaimed max pulse discharge rate. The Hohm Grown INR 26650's packaging states a continuous discharge rating (CDR) of 32.3A - which still looks to be lower than the 23A it tested at. I apologize for not previously stating the CDR, but that is due to the Hohm Grown's own packaing which emphasizes the battery's pulse discharge rate as if it was the CDR, but then has the specified CDR in very fine print below that.

Hohm Growns are 23a continuous cells, identical to the Basen and Brillpower 26650's per Mooch.

He then went on to say, "Having said this, it is still one of the better performing 26650's as it seems to use the same cell as the Basen and Brillipower 4500mAh cells."

That sounds like the Hohm Grown INR 26650s should be perfectly fine for my MTL needs then, but I'm glad I did not pay as much for these batteries as most websites out there are asking for. I'm not surprised at all by the inflated performance specs, as this seems to be an all too common practice for nearly every battery supplier out there. What would you guys think is a decent price to pay for a good 26650 battery?

The Basen Black, Brillpower Green and AWT Yellow 26650 batteries also all look they would suit my MTL needs just fine, with the iJoy being a close second with fewer mAh, but with a somewhat higher maximum continuous discharge rate. Which of these batteries (including the Hohm Grown ones) I would get in future would just depend on availability and pricing.

The Basen Black and Brillpower Green, which are supposedly re-wraps of the same battery, are both IMR (Lithium manganese oxide), while the Hohm Grown is INR (Lithium manganese nickel), so it couldn't be a re-wrap of the same battery. INR battery chemistry adds nickel to IMR chemistry, combining the safety and low resistance of manganese with the high energy of nickel. So in that way the Hohm Grown battery is more like the iJoy INR 26650 in chemistry - though not necessarily in actual performance, so it is probably not a re-wrap of that battery either.

The mAH rating is usually more important to me for MTL vaping, as MTL builds draw significantly less power compared to DTL builds, even more so in TC mode, but I still like to see a reasonably high CDR in testing - which I think helps assure that a battery will continue to perform well through most its limited lifespan.

Testing of current 26650 batteries seems to indicate that using one of them to power a device is only better than using two 18650 batteries when the wattage draw is relatively low (double digits low, not single digit low). For higher power drawing DTL builds, devices that use two 18650 batteries will perform somewhat better, and also last longer before having to be recharged. Of course, a device that uses a single 26650 battery will typically be smaller and lighter in weight than one that uses two 18650s, so choosing which type of setup to go with ends up being a compromise either way.

Last edited:

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I got an email from esauce yesterday, informing me that my Ally (Nano) Black Rebel DNA 75W 26650/18650 has been shipped. It took about a week for it to ship, which was no surprise. I'm glad it did not take longer. No package tracking information was provided - which seems a bit lame. I really would've preferred to have a tracking number. I expect receiving this item could take anywhere from 5 days to 5 weeks, based on what I've read about how long shipping may take from the UK to the US.

I know shipping for China usually takes a few weeks. I just received some drip tips I ordered from China about 2-3 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting on some silicone 26650 battery sleeves I ordered at the same time. based on tracking info, those should get here in a few more days. I am hoping shipping time from the UK will be at least about as "quick", but I have no idea. I ordered some SS iClear 16 clearomizer drip tips from the UK a few years ago. So long ago I don't recall how long it took to get them at the time. It was probably about equal to typical ship times from China.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you paid for international/tracked shipping, they should be able to supply you with that information. Shipping from the UK should also be relatively fast to the US. Not sure where it will go through customs to reach Reno, which can determine how much of a delay to expect. If it's routed through NY, it will be released to USPS pretty fast. I've had packages go through in at most a day or two, occasionally a few hours. Chicago seems to take forever to clear.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I emailed esauce, asking for a tracking number - if there is one. Sometimes "shipped" just means the ordered item has been packaged, but is not quite on its way yet - so no tracking number has been generated yet. I occasionally experience that sort of false package "shipped" reporting when ordering from China.

Of course, if I had instead ordered this or this Boxer Mod from Ginger Vapes in the US I would probably have one of these 3D printed mods in my hot little hands by now. Oh well, it's not like I don't have anything to vape with while I'm awaiting delivery, so I guess I will live.

On a totally unrelated note, I found myself interested in the 22mm Digiflavor Siren GTA MTL 4ML RTA, thanks to a couple of reviews I looked at online. Being a MTL guy, I am always interested in good, affordable MTL RTAs, so I occasionally search to see if there is anything new on the market worth trying. The Digiflavor Siren RTA isn't all that new, but it isn't very old at all either, yet I could not find a single 22mm one anywhere (there are apparently plenty of the 25mm ones around, but they have issues) - until I finally found and bought the last SS one Cigabuy was showing as their last one in stock.

They are another Chinese supplier. One which I've never used before, so I'm a little curious (nervous?) about how the purchase is going to turn out - or if that "last one in stock" business was really just a bunch of BS. (The website now shows that particular item as "returning soon", so I may have lucked out.) There really isn't a rush. I just wanted to make sure I could order at least one to tryout. All the reviews were pretty good.

I'm also looking into getting some 28 gauge Dicodes Resistherm NiFe30 wire (TCR = 3200) as an alternative to using the SS 316L I currently use for my TC builds. $22 seems a bit much for a 10m spool of the stuff, but people report good results using NiFe30 - especially for TC MTL builds, so I figure I'll give it a shot. The UK's Stealthvape NiFe30 wire has a TCR of 5000, and is cheaper, but no one sells it in the US. Have any of you had experience using NiFe30 for TC builds?

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Funny, esauce responded to my tracking number request the other day like this:

"Sure thing I'll send it over now, just keep an eye on your spam."

Keep an eye on my spam? Why not just send the tracking number for the shipment in the e-mail you just sent me telling me you will send it over now?

Yes, I checked my spam, blocked and junk email, and saw nothing.

I really don't get it. I almost feel like there is something scammy about esauce with their responding that way to a pretty simple request for a tracking number - on an item that was reportedly already shipped, using a method that includes a tracking number.

Okay, maybe I'm just being paranoid? I'll just wait and see how this goes...and keep an eye on my spam.

Reactions: Eskie

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Greetings,

I'm a happy owner of two different boxers (BTW: they have their own threads here, just do a search) both of which are classic, a dual 18650 SX350Jv1 and a 26650 powered SX350Jv2.

The dual does not get much use because of the lack of USB charging. The 26650 on the other hand lives on my night stand outfitted with a Nautilus 5ml with a VVTF RBAv1 and a 30AWG NiFe48 flatwire build.

Oddly, the nightstand one simply gets its battery swapped when the tank needs refilling. ;)

I'd have to say that I'm a big fan of the 26650 mods for my style of vaping:
    27757696100_a87ef0f73d.jpg

("Pico-Mega" not pictured. Many I have multiple copies of)

Over the whole whooping ~2yrs of vaping and lots of devices I've formed a "IMHO" when it comes to powering our atomizers:
    • A single 18650 will last <=9hrs even with 'toodle puffing' builds
    • +=30W needs multi-cell MOD for any real run time
    • A good quality single 26650 can power a 'toodle puffing' build for about the same run time as a dual 18650 setup
    • 26650's have to much 'droop' to use with medium to high energy builds
    I can't speak to how sturdy the Boxers are as I rarely (if ever) drop my mods. The boxer 26650 model is MUCH lighter than the metal bodied counter parts offered by other vendors.

While I was planning on getting more 26650 SX350J mods I ended up getting replacement controller PCB's instead. Much less expensive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread