Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindtroverted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
super-t? ............
Yes, indeed. I really think David is a stand-up guy, but I would still like to know more about the process of Rhodium plating to decide for myself. It's like when you go to the doctor and he gives you all the options - of course the doctor knows which is the best one but he is obligated to present you all the options you have and inform you of all the possible risks and benefits regarding all of the options. Not sure if I succeeded to convey what I mean

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
Yes, indeed. I really think David is a stand-up guy, but I would still like to know more about the process of Rhodium plating to decide for myself. It's like when you go to the doctor and he gives you all the options - of course the doctor knows which is the best one but he is obligated to present you all the options you have and inform you of all the possible risks and benefits regarding all of the options. Not sure if I succeeded to convey what I mean

well the purpose of the Rhodium is to have better conductivity and have it stay cleaner for longer. If that is what what was aimed for and succeeded, it is a good solution.... I don't own a super-t unit, so I cannot judge....

Mindtroverted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
well the purpose of the Rhodium is to have better conductivity and have it stay cleaner for longer. If that is what what was aimed for and succeeded, it is a good solution.... I don't own a super-t unit, so I cannot judge....

I know that much. What I do not know is what was mentioned earlier, those limitations depending on the type of the plating process. However, regardless of those things, atmizoo should maybe consider at least making a small run of rhodium plated parts for their mods. This way they could also see how many people would be willing to pay additionally for that. So they would not be the default connectors that come with the device, but you could buy them separately and install them manually yourself. Of course, since I am not an expert I am not sure if that is possible

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I got my Update kit yesterday. First, I have to say how easy it was to upgrade.

Second.....wow!!! What a difference it made! Works flawlessly and I believe it even hits harder. I absolutely love this thing now.

Manos....your service and committment to your customers is OUTSTANDING :toast:

Thank you :)

Right on K-man!!! If you're happy, I know I'll be ecstaticc with mine cuz I already totally love mine to bits.

K-man

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
still nothing here on the update front. Weird as I think mine was sent before my buddys :)

They know that you have an abundance of toys to play with in the meantime.

One thing that's odd, my short DID won't screw in. I'll have to try cleaning the threads when I get home

Mindtroverted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I hate having more devices than I can use. Currently I only have my trusty beginners eGo. I decided on two mods: The Shockwave by super-t and The Roller by atmizoo(n). The former I would use when at home, more like a cigar. The latter I'll mostly use when I go outside because it looks so perfect and simple. Just a question regarding restocking. Will you restock the Rollers at least once each month? I need to save up a little. I don't know if you plan to stop making them anytime soon, but I really, truly hope not. I would really hate to miss this mod

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
The super-t Rhodium is fantastic, but you do have to send it in every once in awhile for replating. He does it for free though, if I remember right. It's no big deal if you have backups.

Can't wait for my parts to get here! Thanks Manos!!!!!!

Rhodium has great electrical conductivity, it does not tarnish and has a very high mechanical strength - so, a rhodium plated contact will require less frequent re-plating compared to a silver-plated contact of the same thickness. Silver has 3 times better electrical conductivity, but at these sizes, it doesn't affect anything.

However, rhodium is a very very expensive material that cannot be used to electroplate contacts as easily as silver, or even gold. It simply cannot be wasted during the process, exactly because it is so expensive. I'm sure there are advanced plating labs that can achieve a thick layer of rhodium without wasting a single bit, but the process will be very expensive. It is therefore not widely used in industrial applications.

Note that the mechanical strength argument really depends on the thickness of the plating and the geometry of the contact. A thin rhodium plating on a small contact surface (high local stress) will not last longer than a thick pure-silver-plating in a better designed (or even the same) switch. And the tarnishing argument is also irrelevant with loads as high as 8 watts, since at these energy levels the oxides of silver are cleaned off by the arcing/current.

So in the end, it's impossible to say that one solution is better than the other. It really depends on the application, the available means and the way contacts are designed. I'd say rhodium is better for high mechanical wear / specialty applications, such as sliding contacts at high temperatures, only if all other solutions fail.

Other than that, well, rhodium has a better sound to it, at least to my ears :) And some people might not like the idea of having oxide molecules in their switch, even if it works fine.

M

PS: The contacts in the Roller/Dingo have 6 sides, so you can just twist them around when the plating material wears off on the side facing up. In practice, this increases their lifespan by 6 times, and whenever they need a fresh layer, you can just take them out and have them re-plated by your local jeweller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread