The Song Association Game (Music Game for the lazy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
I made a few tweaks to my OP. If anyone at all has some recommendations for any further ones, just send me a PM. Think they only let you edit a post either one or two more times, so I'm eager for any feedback early. This thread should be about whatever will encourage the most forum members to jump in a get some kicks. Why isn't there, like, an Alfred E. Neuman "I'm all ears" smiley?

Seebs

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
South Florida
Are you fine with a match on another form of the same word? I.e. skies = sky

Have you also considered matching on the artist name, also? Am I being a pain? :)

No pain at all man... This new thread is here so WE can run it how we like without running the risk of angering the people at the other thread... In the name of full disclosure; I'm one of the "peeps" at the other thread... I just don't get too worked up about goof-ups. I'll play on both threads because they both offer me something I like.

This one gives me the chance to get in on a fresh thread and post up all my "obscure" songs for you guys to enjoy. The other thread gives me the challenge of having to be really crafty about the songs I post. :p

As far as the Skies -> Sky thing goes... I think the OP says partial matches are OK, I just think that a partial match on just two letters is a pushing it a bit... I'd go with a three letter minimum for partial matches that way there is a little bit of a challenge.

As for the artist's name thing; I'll leave that up to Becky... She's the boss lady 'round these here parts.

Let's take your song as the last valid post since this thread is still a W.I.P. :)

Goodbye Blue Sky - Pink Floyd

Blue leaves - Sóley

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    As far as the Skies -> Sky thing goes... I think the OP says partial matches are OK, I just think that a partial match on just two letters is a pushing it a bit... I'd go with a three letter minimum for partial matches that way there is a little bit of a challenge.

As far as partial matches go, I'm making a distinction between different forms of the same word, i.e skies (plural) and sky (singular) vs. doing a too-short partial match like "Give Me Novacaine - Green Day" vs. "No, No, No - Doug & The Slugs (covering The Human Beinz)"

Anyway, if we're all willing to play it by ear a little, it could be fun in this thread.

She's Leaving Home - The Beatles

Last edited:

cactus71

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 11, 2012
    NM
    Nursing Home - Ministry

W.I.P. yes. Unfortunately, I see allowing such variants as detrimental to searching for matches - I do understand that we want this to be a simplified version... but that may just open it too wide IMO. We've got to match searches on something and I've already agreed to an artist match. There's only so far to go (BTW - I do like the artist rec you made :)) "If we're all willing to play it by ear a little, it could be fun in this thread" - I'm for that definitely, but I think a search-first... by-ear second "rule" is in order.

Last edited:

Seebs

ECF Veteran
    Jan 12, 2013
    South Florida
    As far as partial matches go, I'm making a distinction between different forms of the same word, i.e skies (plural) and sky (singular) vs. doing a too-short partial match like "Give Me Novacaine - Green Day" vs. "No, No, No - Doug & The Slugs (covering The Human Beinz)"

Anyway, if we're all willing to play it by ear a little, it could be fun in this thread.

Hey; I'm all good with leeway and room for "fun"... :)

Nursing Home - Ministry

Honey Come Home - The Head and The Heart

Can you people tell I like KEXP Radio quite a lot? :)

Seebs

ECF Veteran
    Jan 12, 2013
    South Florida
    Homesick - The Cure

I didn't know it was KEXP... but checked it out (alternative / indie) - no surprise now - it's good stuff Seebs :)

Not jsut alt/indie stuff there cactus. Plenty of Jazz/Soul/R&B stuff... What you won't find there is anyone that uses autotune. ;)

Lovesick man - Fitz and the Tantrums

PS: I love The Cure!!! That was my High School band for sure. I'd love to grab all them "emo" dummies from this day and age and show them what "real emo" was like before "emo" became cool. :)

They just remind me of being 16-17 and going to what we called "garage dances"... Where we'd get a bunch of teenagers in a garage, fire up the stereo, kill the lights and "slow dance" and make out for hours on end... Or until one of the parents of the house stormed in and flicked the lights on. Fastest hands in the hood right here... Never got caught with them in the cookie jar. ;)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread