The Tesla Nano 60W TC (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread on it locked I thought necessary to open a new one
The Tesla Nano 60W TC

My experience after about 3mos has been generally positive. It was a close call and a choice between the IJust Pico + Battery of the Nano. I think the looks and the solid feel sold me. I couldn't stand the looks of the Pico and its battery cover. Unless I am off walking in the neighborhood and use a smaller pocket device this has been an all day and night tool.

My first complaint, but luckily I am the type that cares least about aesthetics. is that after a month or less and despite of careful handling the black paint started to go soft and peel off. It felt as if heat got to it since it begun in areas where it would get warmer or as if it was a chemical reaction. I do pay close attention to keep any liquid from it but as someone else had mentioned the finish felt kind of slick. Eventually the whole finish came off except for a small area around the 501 mounting point. Weird that I have not found a similar complaint anywhere else.

Some of the comparisons that call this device heavy, especially when compared to ismoka devices, are pieces mostly made of anodized aluminum. This nano tesla is made of mostly steel. I have no idea whether the silver model actually has a thin sleeve of stainless looking material, and a blue one that I had seen close up felt like an anodized surface, but mine now looks like bare gun/pot steel. No signs of corrosion anywhere, maybe it some kind of zinc plating which carried the black paint. It was hard to chose the color as they all looked nice.

With a 0.9 or slightly smaller coil it fires all day at around 25w and still has some to go before I go to sleep and plug it in. With my usual 1.6Ω coil claromizer it takes more than 2 days at around 12,5w. It is more of a problem forgetting to charge it as it doesn't need to than it is of AmpH shortage.

Ergonomically it is great and that big fire button feels today as it felt the first day, even though I felt it was kind of loose and worried based on what I had read. The 0.9Ω coils on it seem to trigger a mode change as they are the border I think between 2 decimal resistance reading to single decimal 1.4 vs 0.85 and that may explain a delay in reading. There is always a half second delay in reading resistance after you take one off and on, even if it is the same one. Sometimes there is the same delay if it has been standing for a while unused. I am willing to speculate that there is some electronics protection circuit for avoiding a short on the battery that causes the delay. It is all fine by me.

Except for not ever buying another painted mod other than a stainless surface I would probably go for some other Tesla next when this one dies. I have checked around for battery replacement and I have not seen any, although the store had a technician who told me "if and when it happens bring it back and we will install new ones for you". I am willing to bet that these are some special Tesla packs that need to be soldered on and Tesla doesn't want anyone not as experienced to do it for safety.

These type of batteries we all use are very dangerous if one does not know what they are doing. They are 2 huge pieces of foil with polymer coating and a thin film of non-conducting saran-wrap kind of material in between to isolate them, tightly coiled and then have several plastic sealed covers. They are almost like a slow capacitor and the rate of discharge is the maximum Amp rating they have at 3.3-4.2v If you unfold the two foils and make the mistake to get them to touch one another you have instant fire and a short which burns up all the shielding material. Don't ask me how I know ;) I did know in theory what they are so I tested this dead mechanical thing once I had declared it dead and did all this outside in a fireproof area. So thin aluminum foil coated/anodized and isolating material is all a battery of this type is. The old chemical lead/acid batteries would never attain such a fast controlled discharge.

I think Tesla is pretty smart in using two smaller batteries to blend VV/VW in a more efficient way than trying to get 6v out of a 4v battery. I bet a single 18650 can not be as efficient.

I like the lean, it is a great conversation starter. People will never notice it is there until you stand it on the lean. Instant attention, like some world natural marvel :) I think they should improvise on the idea and give it a curve so it swings around this position!

My last complaint is that the procedure of switching to temp mode and back is WAY too many steps. It is fine once you figure it out and practice but still TOO MANY STEPS. But who cares, I don't, if I use anything other than Kanthal is SS316L and the Nano will not read it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread