Travel and Vaping The TSA "stole" me silver bullet... well, half of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornado9015

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Braintree
Tornado,

I guess the whole thing is that i'm not a terrorist and not quarantined by a hospital, but I do chose to vape. Something I OWN was removed from my posession with no explination of any kind. That is what annoys me. Like i said earlier, I understand it can be strange looking to someone who doesnt know what it is, but it was taken from me for whatever reason.

I definitely wasn't calling you a terrorist if that's what you thought I meant :lol:

What I was getting at was that they have no right to do it. But that sure isn't going to stop them. Unfortunately other than file a claim, a complaint, contact progressively higher and higher members of the organization, and notify them that you will not be using their airline again, there isn't much you can do about it. It is never advisable to start with threats, but as a last resort, letting somebody know that they have wronged you, and you will do your best to make sure nobody you know uses their goods or services, can inspire somebody to see your side.

Godzilla

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2010
Northern California
www.foxyboxmods.com
I would not mind seeing some publicity on this. I think if both sides were given the opportunity to talk about vaping, the publice would realize that the government is being rediculous.

As far as the part that got taken, I am not sure if "rights" really matter with the TSA post 911. Their concern is only safety, and anti terrorism. I do not believe they really have a concern for anyone, when they come across something that looks quite foreign. I wonder how many things are confiscated in this matter daily in a busy airport. I am not talking about fluids and nail clippers. I am talking about "items that look suspicious" It seems that the latter deserves a different process, like an automatic claim procedure.

Then again, if they were certain it was a terrorism threat, 20 officers would have been waiting for you at the gate.

Education to the public is our responsibility. The problem is, no scientists have studied this enough to deem it "safe". On the other hand, I think the public in general is ready for this. Think about how many people hate smokers, or hate the smell of them. I bet people like this would embrace it. While we have Obama in office, now is our chance. Someone needs to put one in his hand.

Cmon man. Lead this educational fight for us! Call CNN

Stu99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
New York
Could be it wasn't taken on purpose and it was just lost in the shuffle. Those TSA agents are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Sucks just the same for you though. Good luck.

Absolutely could be, but I have done alot of reading about similar issues and its amazing what people have claimed they are missing. After the fact though, if you think about it, it does look strange to someone who takes it out of the bag. I can just see it... "Um call the boss. what the hell is this? It looks like some kind of detonator...."

KDK

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
Fresno Ca. USA
I never put anything valuable in my checked baggage. ALL valuables go in my carry-on, that way, it is under my control at all times, and no one is going to search it or take anything without my knowing about it. If they have questions about anything they can ask me, and if they were to try to confiscate anything, I would insist on getting a written receipt. Sorry for your loss, and hope you get your stuff back.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
I havent posted too much recently so I figure I should reintroduce myself. I am a TSA officer who works in the Orlando International Airport (MCO) and I vape on a regular basis along with quite a few of my co-workers. I wrote the TSA and E-cig FAQ that is stickied at the top of this section. I do not work in baggage so I cant really say what the regulations are for removing an item inside of a bag. I can say that the item may have been removed as the bag was being searched and the TSO forgot to replace the item. Believe it or not we are human and make mistakes just as everyone else does. It really does suck that you lost part of your PV and I would recommend filing a claim and following up as much as you can. The other option is that a TSO did in fact steal it, in which case it is even more important for you to file your claim so that they can possibly find the person who stole it and fire them and press charges. TSA does not take theft lightly.

P.S.
Please be aware that there are a few TSA employees that frequent this site including me and just like you we do not enjoy being called an idiot because of our choice of employment. Yes there are some TSO's who are bad apples, but there are more like me who are hard working and pleasant people. I am not working here because I "could not get a job at the mart as a greeter or as mall security" I am working here because Customs and Border Protection recruits heavily from TSA and because of the benefits that a federal job offers. I realize none of the comments were directed personally at me but they were blanket statements that do include me and I felt I should comment. Though mainly because I have had a bad week and am really tired of people disliking me because my shirt says TSA on it.

Stu99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
New York
I havent posted too much recently so I figure I should reintroduce myself. I am a TSA officer who works in the Orlando International Airport (MCO) and I vape on a regular basis along with quite a few of my co-workers. I wrote the TSA and E-cig FAQ that is stickied at the top of this section. I do not work in baggage so I cant really say what the regulations are for removing an item inside of a bag. I can say that the item may have been removed as the bag was being searched and the TSO forgot to replace the item. Believe it or not we are human and make mistakes just as everyone else does. It really does suck that you lost part of your PV and I would recommend filing a claim and following up as much as you can. The other option is that a TSO did in fact steal it, in which case it is even more important for you to file your claim so that they can possibly find the person who stole it and fire them and press charges. TSA does not take theft lightly.

P.S.
Please be aware that there are a few TSA employees that frequent this site including me and just like you we do not enjoy being called an idiot because of our choice of employment. Yes there are some TSO's who are bad apples, but there are more like me who are hard working and pleasant people. I am not working here because I "could not get a job at the mart as a greeter or as mall security" I am working here because Customs and Border Protection recruits heavily from TSA and because of the benefits that a federal job offers. I realize none of the comments were directed personally at me but they were blanket statements that do include me and I felt I should comment. Though mainly because I have had a bad week and am really tired of people disliking me because my shirt says TSA on it.

first thank you for your response. I don't think by any means that it was done maliciously. I will never know what actually happened. I do understand that we all human but you have to keep in mind that this is somebody else's personal belongings that people are going through. if the tsa agent that was searching my bag did forget to return it to my bag how do I go about locating the lost and found? I also work for government agency and I know that we ALL have policies that prevent this type of thing. the problem is most of the research I have done involves missing money jewelry and expensive items. I honestly believe that this was not a mistake and it was removed from my bag intentionally because I know that I would have no clue what it is if I didn't use a pv. the question now becomes why was I not notified that it was removed from my bag? especially if ir was a suspicious looking item. if I had offers is waiting for me when I got off the plane I would've known exactly why. when I emailed the tsa regarding this I got a form letter in return with attachments saying fill this out with no attempt to even try and find out what happened. so here I am stuck with a problem and have to deal with it and wait probably 6 months to find out if im going to get reimbursed. I am by no means blanketing all tsa agents into 1 big category as all thieves, but based on what I've found out it seems that this happens all too often.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Sorry. been gone a few days. 13 good to see you, now for most of you when 13 first came on I was trashing TSA. But after talking and listening to him realized I was wrong. But there are all kinds working for TSA.
I assume it was lost not taken because it looked expensive or just the fact someone wanted it.
Folks, you are fine to travel with a e-cigs.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
first thank you for your response. I don't think by any means that it was done maliciously. I will never know what actually happened. I do understand that we all human but you have to keep in mind that this is somebody else's personal belongings that people are going through. if the tsa agent that was searching my bag did forget to return it to my bag how do I go about locating the lost and found? I also work for government agency and I know that we ALL have policies that prevent this type of thing. the problem is most of the research I have done involves missing money jewelry and expensive items. I honestly believe that this was not a mistake and it was removed from my bag intentionally because I know that I would have no clue what it is if I didn't use a pv. the question now becomes why was I not notified that it was removed from my bag? especially if ir was a suspicious looking item. if I had offers is waiting for me when I got off the plane I would've known exactly why. when I emailed the tsa regarding this I got a form letter in return with attachments saying fill this out with no attempt to even try and find out what happened. so here I am stuck with a problem and have to deal with it and wait probably 6 months to find out if im going to get reimbursed. I am by no means blanketing all tsa agents into 1 big category as all thieves, but based on what I've found out it seems that this happens all too often.

It was not your post that was disrespectful to me so no worries there. To those that did say something disrespectful still no worries as I was merely having a bad day. Back to the subject at hand though I will ask a few of my colleagues to find out the protocol that that is involved but I believe your notice was the card that was in your bag. As I am not familiar with that mod does the piece that was missing include the battery? If it does then the answer as to why it was taken out of your bag has been answered because the batteries that are used in PVs are not permissible in checked. bags.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
P.S.
Please be aware that there are a few TSA employees that frequent this site including me and just like you we do not enjoy being called an idiot because of our choice of employment. Yes there are some TSO's who are bad apples, but there are more like me who are hard working and pleasant people. I am not working here because I "could not get a job at the mart as a greeter or as mall security" I am working here because Customs and Border Protection recruits heavily from TSA and because of the benefits that a federal job offers. I realize none of the comments were directed personally at me but they were blanket statements that do include me and I felt I should comment. Though mainly because I have had a bad week and am really tired of people disliking me because my shirt says TSA on it.[/QUOTE]

13ways if you found the comments I made offensive in anyway and if indeed you are one of the TSA agents who are helpful and non arrogant the please accept my apologies. Now I travel more than I care to and have a passport that has had pages added twice. I have passed through many security checkpoints around the world and most have better customer facing manners than our agencies in the States. The things I have personally witnessed and the unprofessional conduct I have endured on many occasions are what compelled to to type my earlier post. Generalizations are not fair but most are born out of some truth. The TSA has a job to do, but in many instances the people doing those jobs are just plain rude. I could list examples and airports where they have occured but that will not fix the problem (and would most likely make you irate with some of your fellow agents). Remember some of us business travelers are paying almost $3000for a ticket and while security in this day and age are a requirement dealing with a rude and miserable TSA agent should not be. I have written letters to the agency and some things have improved but there is a long way to go. I wish you the best when you move out of the TSA and if it is a Customs job please remember the above as you process fellow Americans returning home. I am hopeful today was a better day for you and I also hope the TSA finds and returns the missing part to Stu99!

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

andygee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
new york city
Nothing to do with e-cigs, but...

I used to frequently travel with a fold-up bike or Xootr scooter. My first flight after 9/11, I had the Xootr in checked baggage. I get out at Daytona and prepare to scoot to my dad's place on the beach. Some on-the-ball TSA guy decided that a hollow metal tube -- the steering tube -- had to be opened up and looked into. To accomplish this, they had to knock off a retaining rivet that keeps the steering handle from flying out of the sterring tube. They did this, but WITH NO NOTE SAYING DON'T RIDE IT UNTIL I GET SOMEONE TO WELD ANOTHER RIVET BACK ON. Fortunately, I wasn't yet on the road when I realized what happened...
I wonder how many golf clubs have been sliced open?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread