The ultimate lung health liquid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinniVapour

Moved On
Dec 15, 2009
NYC
This is only for "thought", not to make a home-made healthy liquid.
Only responsible, educated, and hypothetical ideas pls!

Hello All,

I have been thinking.. Since we now have these ecigs/chucks/etc.. in our hands.. Why not create a nicotine(less) liquid that contains tar breaking mixtures, something to promote the healing of lungs, re-buildup of blood hairs in the lungs, promote production of mucus and open up air channels, etc..

This shouldn't be too difficult, I assume.. Given the information on the internet and elsewhere..

What would "The Ultimate Lung-Health Promoting Liquid" be composed of?

This is only my second day with a vape and I'm really glad I made the choice, I can already see where this is taking me.. smoke free forever!

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
Well, Nhaler already offers a "lung juice" that has herbal extracts in it that supposedly promote healthy lungs. However, there has been no research on this, and it would take quite a bit of scientific study to come up with a well studied and approved "medicine" for your lungs that you inhale. There might be something in the medical field (through the use of nebulizers) that may be comparable and could cross over, but the thing is... we don't want these classified as medical devices, unless you want to have to get a prescription, would have to be flavorless and unenjoyable, etc.

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
Well, Nhaler already offers a "lung juice" that has herbal extracts in it that supposedly promote healthy lungs. However, there has been no research on this, and it would take quite a bit of scientific study to come up with a well studied and approved "medicine" for your lungs that you inhale. There might be something in the medical field (through the use of nebulizers) that may be comparable and could cross over, but the thing is... we don't want these classified as medical devices, unless you want to have to get a prescription, would have to be flavorless and unenjoyable, etc.

Seriously. "Health promotion" and "e-cigarette" is not a good combination of words at this time :rolleyes:

JinniVapour

Moved On
Dec 15, 2009
NYC
Seriously. "Health promotion" and "e-cigarette" is not a good combination of words at this time

It doesn't matter what time.. It's not our problem that most people are DUMB #$@ks!

To me, the e-cig is just a smaller vaporizing device like those found at wallgreens.. You put a liquid, whether water, nicotine, or even arsenic.. it evaporates it.. that's all!

We should not let the "DUMB #$%ks" stop us.. We're only using e-cigs cause we're open-minded.. Look at the lounge section, see what people talk about? when we talk about politics, FDA, policies, wars, etc..

I only notice, these forums harbor very intelligent and open minded people.. actually, people here are very much like an "open minded militia think tank"..

So, what do you think? :D

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Find your own path. Absolutely no one is going to make and market such a liquid with any associated claims of improving lung health. The FDA and FTC would stamp them into oblivion in record time.

E-smoking is already is deep trouble for earlier claims of being "safer" and "healthier" than smoking. Yes, we "know" that's true. No, we cannot prove it, so we cannot advertise it as fact.

Do what works for you. But don't expect any liquid maker to jump on your great idea. That's just not going to happen in the present climate. If e-cigs are approved and allowed to mature, your idea has merit down the road.

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
It doesn't matter what time.. It's not our problem that most people are DUMB #$@ks!

To me, the e-cig is just a smaller vaporizing device like those found at wallgreens.. You put a liquid, whether water, nicotine, or even arsenic.. it evaporates it.. that's all!

We should not let the "DUMB #$%ks" stop us.. We're only using e-cigs cause we're open-minded.. Look at the lounge section, see what people talk about? when we talk about politics, FDA, policies, wars, etc..

I only notice, these forums harbor very intelligent and open minded people.. actually, people here are very much like an "open minded militia think tank"..

So, what do you think? :D

Unfortunately, those "DUMB F**ks" are poised to take away e-cigs. If we start making medicinal claims, they'll make them prescription only, taste terrible, only allowed for say 6 month use, and cost a fortune. And that's ONLY if they get approved say, 10 years from now when the research is done. Also, who's going to do the research? There's no company in the US right now that has anywhere close to the capital to pay for the kind of research the FDA requires to get a medical device approved. Also, unless you're putting your mouth around the opening of those vaporizers in walgreens and inhaling what comes out, that argument holds no water, so to speak.

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
Find your own path. Absolutely no one is going to make and market such a liquid with any associated claims of improving lung health. The FDA and FTC would stamp them into oblivion in record time.

E-smoking is already is deep trouble for earlier claims of being "safer" and "healthier" than smoking. Yes, we "know" that's true. No, we cannot prove it, so we cannot advertise it as fact.

Do what works for you. But don't expect any liquid maker to jump on your great idea. That's just not going to happen in the present climate. If e-cigs are approved and allowed to mature, your idea has merit down the road.

Yeah, I meant to say that too.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
When it comes to the kind of damage done by cigarettes, the body does good healing work itself once you stop smoking.

Even modern science-based medicine can't come up with something to remedy the damage done by cigarettes, and there's a lot of money at stake if any company could do that. (And don't we all wish for it!)

Therefore, I personally wouldn't trust Ashtanga Sparkleflower at Ye Olde Supplement Shoppe to recommend something I could inhale for my lung health.

As far as I know, the substances you can obtain OTC with claims of "lung healing" are "traditionally used" herbs for that purpose (part of the unregulated supplement market, in other words). The studies are rarely there to back up many claims*. "Promoting healing" is a generic term, not a specific mechanism. There might be benefit to some of them in other ways thought -- for instance, some herbs, as I understand it, are known to be expectorants -- i.e. they encourage the formation and expulsion of mucus. That's not "healing" per se, but, it might feel good.
Unfortunately, some OTC herbs are downright risky in sufficient quantities.**

Many of the prescription substances that open up the lungs/airways (i.e. anti-asthma medications) are things like albuterol or theophylline, which cause dilation of the airways and a temporary improvement in breathing capacity. Very useful in an asthma attack but not meant for the general population's health promotion.

The area of experimentation that does intrigue me, though, is finding a substitute for the beta-carboline MAOIs that are present in whole tobacco (i.e. one of the reasons we don't feel that same relaxation with vaping nicotine that we did with smoking a cigarette). Say, with harmine/harmaline such as that present in Passionflower extract. It's risky, too, needless to say. It will be one of those frontiers limited to individuals experimenting (for better or for worse), at least until (if ever) the whole concept of e-cigs actually becomes accepted by regulations and by society.

*"Lack of studies" doesn't mean lack of efficacy...it just means we don't know. So I don't mean to discredit anyone's experience. And if someone wants to experiment, at their own risk, that's their choice.
I'd suggest searching PubMed for your substance of choice to see if it's been studied by any NIH-funded trials before.

**Say, lobelia, sometimes used in 'stop-smoking' supplements. If you swallow something toxic, a shot of strong lobelia tea will make you vomit it up quickly and forcefully. That's what it's also used for. Just FYI. There are also some possible negative psychiatric side effects with chronic supplemental use of lobeline (the active compound in lobelia). I would expect that the quantities in Nhaler's Lung Juice are so minute as to be perfectly safe because I haven't even heard reports of nausea -- and you vape so incredibly little compared to your average supplement pill/extract. But someone experimenting in their own basement could have a bad night.

Last edited:

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
There was another thread where we were discussing adding herbal tinctures to e-juice but I can't find it.

I have been making my own herbal tinctures for years and I love NHaler's Pear Lung Juice, so I thought I'd use my own tinctures for a bit of experimenting. I know which herbs are safe; I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this if you don't have at least a rudimentary understanding of medicinal herbs.

I was looking for something to help my [adult] daughter with a bad cold with a hacking cough. (She is a smoker but has been vaping since she came home from the Army for the holidays.) To 5ml of 24mg pear e-juice I added 8 drops each of Mullein Leaf and Wild Cherry Bark, 4 drops of marshmallow, and 8 drops of vegetable glycerin. All tinctures are in a vodka base and have been steeping for months. Mullein is good for the lungs, wild cherry is for coughs and is an expectorant, marshmallow root is also good for coughs and sore throats.

The result is a very mild-tasting vape that actually seems to help with her cough and breathing!

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
... I have been making my own herbal tinctures for years ... The result is a very mild-tasting vape that actually seems to help with her cough and breathing!

4208562945_ea98bf813b_o.jpg

C'mon, now; that was funny.

Last edited:

JakeStew

Oct 15, 2009
Just a couple of my thoughts on the subject... Mullein leaf is a very effective substance. There is a good deal of studies available on mullein fractions. Mullein has expectorant, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory effects that are well documented. In short it's just about the best lung tonic available.

On the other hand you can't just take a crude extraction and feed it into a vaporizer. You'll gum up the vaporizer with crap that doesn't vaporize well and you'll be inhaling all sorts of undesirable plant components.

Vaporizing a crude extract is not a good idea. You'll also probably not get a sufficient dosage to do much good.

My current research areas are mullein leaf fractions and MAOIs. Properly prepared they have the potential to make e-juices better smoking alternatives while also adding lung benefits.

Working up proper extraction and purification procedures takes time. Hopefully I'll have some results for you in the next three months. Personally I wouldn't vaporize anything that hasn't been through at least one column chromatography pass. So don't jump the gun and start vaping any old crude extract which might possess interesting actives. I assure you that research is well under way towards producing purified extracts suitable for vaporizing.

-Jake

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
• What is Lung Juice?
Lung juice is a new product we've created to stimulate a natural body healing process by vaping herbs that have been said to nourish the lungs and other vital organs. Lung juice is mixed with Eliquid flavors and is availble in 12mg and 24mg (8mg on specific products.) The ingredients are as follows:
• Elecampane Root and Flower
• Mulletein leaf
• Osha Root
• Yerba Mansa(whole Plant)
• Yerba Santa Leaf
• Dandelion Leaf
• Licorice root
• Lobieala Root
• A water Extraction Tincher of Cordyceps
• Reishi Mushroom Alcohol Extraction
• In a base of pure grain alcohol, distilled water and vegetable glycerine

Status