The US Surgeon General wants to know more about vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
It's kinda funny, really... For years we completely disregarded the SG's warning on pks of cigarettes... and now we actually care what he/she/it thinks...? :lol:

Andria

True, but his Great Grandpa nailed one point dead on,
“The chronic toxicity of nicotine in quantities absorbed
from smoking and other methods of tobacco use is very
low and probably does not represent a significant health
problem.”
- SURGEON GENERAL REPORT 1964
(unconfirmed location ch. 4, p. 32.)

Could someone please confirm that location? My Google foo was failing me that day and I never found the full report. Dangnab pay walls:-x

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
That speech shows conclusively what kind of true-believing ...... he is. He unquestioningly swallows every anti-smoker lie:

"Today, we face a rising tide of diabetes, heart disease and cancer. We will lose nearly half a million lives this year to tobacco-related disease."

"Third, we will work to change entrenched behaviors that are weighing us down. There was a time – not too long ago – when it was completely normal to smoke on a plane, in a restaurant or at the office.

But we are moving past those Mad Men days because we, as a people, confronted the harms caused by tobacco."

[What filthy, filthy lies. This was all shoved down the peoples' throats by a corrupt and rotten to the core little oligarchy that commits scientific fraud and censors the mass media to eliminate dissent. And look at THIS:]

"I want 100% tobacco-free campuses at every college and university in America. We’re already one-quarter of the way there. We in the federal government should lead by example, making our federal campuses – and over one million units of public housing – tobacco-free, too.

Speaking of tobacco, we need our leaders in the fields of sports and entertainment to invest in making sure their audiences live long and prosper, too. In the great American community, more companies will follow the example of Disney, which has committed to eliminating smoking from all its movies watched by children. We could save over a million children from premature death if every film studio followed suit."

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
True, but his Great Grandpa nailed one point dead on,
“The chronic toxicity of nicotine in quantities absorbed
from smoking and other methods of tobacco use is very
low and probably does not represent a significant health
problem.”
- SURGEON GENERAL REPORT 1964
(unconfirmed location ch. 4, p. 32.)

Could someone please confirm that location? My Google foo was failing me that day and I never found the full report. Dangnab pay walls:-x
here's the full text.
http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/NN/B/B/M/Q/_/nnbbmq.pdf
regards
mike
its there.chapter four.
THE TOBACCO H.~BIT AND NICOTINE The habitual use of tobacco is related primarily to psychological and social drives, reinforced and perpetuated by the pharmacological actions of nicotine. Social stimulation appears to play a major role in a young person’s early and first experiments with smoking. No scientific evidence supports the popular hypothesis that smoking among adolescents is an expression rebellion against authority. Individual stress appears to be associated more with fluctuations in the amount of smoking than with the prevalence of smoking. The overwhelming evidence indicates that smoking-its beginning, habituation, and occasional discontinuation-is to a very large extent psychologically and socially determined. Nicotine is rapidly changed in the body to relatively inactive substances with low toxicity. The chronic toxicity of small doses of nicotine is low in experimental animals. These two facts, when taken in conjunction with the low mortality ratios of pipe and cigar smokers, indicate that the chronic toxicity of nicotine in quantities absorbed from smoking and other methods of tobacco use is very low and probably does not represent an important health hazard. The significant beneficial effects of smoking occur primarily in the area of mental health, and the habit originates in a search for contentment. Since no means of measuring the quantity of these benefits is apparent, the Committee finds no basis for a judgment which would weigh benefits against hazards of smoking as it may apply to the general population.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
"...the chronic toxicity of nicotine in quantities absorbed from smoking and other methods of tobacco use is very low and probably does not represent an important health hazard. The significant beneficial effects of smoking occur primarily in the area of mental health, and the habit originates in a search for contentment."

At least they got the hazard part right, way back when, but the thing about mental health and contentment shows how little they understood brain chemistry and other physiological aspects, way back then.

"Since no means of measuring the quantity of these benefits is apparent, the Committee finds no basis for a judgment which would weigh benefits against hazards of smoking as it may apply to the general population."

Oh, they finally did figure out a way to measure happiness -- MONEY doncha know! :facepalm: And the basis for the judgment against smoking? THE FASCIST ANTZ HATE IT! Which has come to be "the law of the land". There aren't enough facepalms in the world for that. Now those control-freak ANTZ are trying to run the same play with NICOTINE! And have succeeded so well with their brainwashing that folks come here thinking that nicotine is the most poisonous substance in the universe, and start asking about how fast they ought to eliminate it from their vape! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Andria

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Regarding "e-cigarettes", four months is a long time to be delaying putting out correct information and disowning the lies the government has been telling and funding. How many more lives need be destroyed by the misinformation campaign?

Oops, make that three months, not four.

He said, "In a world in which a lie can spread around the planet at the speed of a keystroke, we will harness the power of new technologies so that the truth has a fighting chance." Even if this was asking vapers about their quitting smoking, it would be a waste. There are plenty of collections of testimonials, not only on twitter, but all over social media, and I am absolutely sure he knows that. How does it help to add a new one? He's promised a speedy reaction to the speedy spread of lies, and this is how he's going to "harness the power"? By ignoring what's out there? The terstimonials, the junk studies, the good studies, the junk scare headlines.

Tell the people the truth about vaping. Currently he is hiding the truth. How can he keep his promise of giving the truth a "fighting chance" by hiding it?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It may not be what he was looking for but from the comments I read on facebook as of right now they are all about e-cigarettes. Now we have to wait and see what his reaction to that might be.

I agree - that is the good part :)

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
i just realized something concerning the Surgeon Generals report.
they have known for more than fifty years that nicotine was of
little or no concern.
50 years.WUWT.
regards
mike

Not surprising, they've also known that second hand smoke danger is a lie and have the proof in three large cohort studies from the EPA, WHO and the Netherlands over the last 15-20 years. The ANTZ, "public health" and truth do not belong in the same sentence.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Smokefree.gov What a joke. They have a website with 16 links to methods for quitting, and not ONE of them is about vaping. It reads like a commercial for Big Pharma and voodoo junk science. Hypnosis?! Really Big Brother? Acupuncture? WTH!

Find a Quit Method That Works For You | Smokefree.gov

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Smokefree.gov What a joke. They have a website with 16 links to methods for quitting, and not ONE of them is about vaping. It reads like a commercial for Big Pharma and voodoo junk science. Hypnosis?! Really Big Brother? Acupuncture? WTH!

Which just serves to PROVE that the gov't doesn't WANT anyone to quit smoking! If they did, they'd link to something that ACTUALLY WORKS! Unlike all that BP snake-oil!

I think they just want people to keep smoking so that there's a convenient group to hate and belittle and discriminate against. Oh, and the money of course -- they want our money while hating and belittling and discriminating against us for the thing that makes money for them! What absolutely insane schizoid freaks we have for gov't.

Andria

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
"....we will harness the power of new technologies so that the truth has a fighting chance."
Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing. This guy is another POLITICIAN or he wouldn't be the SG.
'Truth' from a Politician......Let's just say I'm Sceptical.
The Surgeon General is really just a figurehead. Those Surgeon General reports are actually written by the gang at the Office on Smoking and Health at the Centers for Disease Control. OSH is the controlling force behind the FDA Committee on Tobacco, too, based on how Jonathan Samet was instantly chosen to head it. They're the ones who commit all the scientific frauds to falsely blame smoking by ignoring infection. And not only have the politicians let them get away with it, they trot them out to spout their lies to Congress, and shovel more money into their pockets.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI

"The website was created by the Tobacco Control Research Branch of the National Cancer Institute."
http://smokefree.gov/about-smokefree

Erik Augustson is "the lead on the NCI's smoking cessation websites and directs development and evaluation of smokefree.gov and women.smokefree.gov"

Here's one of their (paywalled) products:
Food and Drug Administration tobacco regulation and product judgments.
Results: About 41% believed that the FDA regulates tobacco products in the U.S., 23.6% reported the FDA does not, and 35.3% did not know. Chi-square analyses showed that smoking status was significantly related to harm judgments about electronic cigarettes (p<0.0001). The multinomial logistic regression revealed that uncertainty about FDA regulation was associated with tobacco product harm judgment uncertainty.
Food and Drug Administration tobacco regulation and product judgments. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I just took a look at the hashtag, and there were more stories about vaping / "ecigs" than anything else. The ONLY story he retweeted was someone who didn't mention his method of quitting. Such a shame. Not like he would do anything anyways...

He's labeling the vapers as tobacco users, and tossing them aside for his real agenda. Here's what he tweeted:
U.S. Surgeon General
Government Official · 9,008 Likes
Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. It's clear that going ‪#‎TobaccoFree‬ is no easy task and that the road is filled with bumps. For ‪#‎StoryForChange‬ I’m highlighting Tim Rabolt's story from Twitter. Tim shared that he became addicted to cigarettes in high school but was determined to graduate from college [HASHTAG]#TobaccoFree[/HASHTAG]. And he succeeded. Many of you have shared e-cigarette stories as well. While I’m glad you no longer smoke combustible cigarettes, we don’t have enough rigorous scientific evidence about the risks and benefits of e-cigarettes in smoking cessation to recommend them. To everyone who has quit tobacco or is trying to quit, I congratulate all of you for recognizing the importance of going [HASHTAG]#TobaccoFree[/HASHTAG], whether you did it for your own health or for your family. It is worth it. People who quit tobacco reduce their risk for disease and early death. [HASHTAG]#StoryForChange[/HASHTAG] ‪#‎TransformationTuesday‬

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread