The VVProV Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
thanks for all the tips, guys! about halfway thru my first bottle of juice and i cannot get over how consistent the vape is on the VVPV! each toot is just like the previous and although i confess i had my reservations because i like an inline volt meter on my mods, dial-to-taste is pretty cool. i tend to keep it over around 5.5 volts anyways. my set up includes a cisco spec 3.0 Ohm atty, silver empire mod drip tip, 510-510 sealed adaptor, the drip tip adaptor, and a generic clear drip tip.

this PV definitely is pretty awesome. the only issue is that with all the length of the add ons, i feel that i could use a warmer vape. i wish i had some 2.0 or 2.5 Ohm attys to bump the wattage up a shade.

also, the modified perfume bottle--although i had my doubts about this dripping device--works unbelievably smoothly. every hit is incredibly smooth and consistent. it is actually kind of weird, with all the atomizer business and other accessories i've attached, the length of this apparatus matches the actual device! i can't imagine how curious this PV would look with all this jazz plus the long barrel hh. 357!

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
ok, i've also tightened the bottom screws pretty tightly but has anyone else had the problem where the magnetic juice door rattles? it feels pretty loose and seems as if it could fall off with pretty slight pressure.

Make sure the top screws are tight too. - What finishes did you get? Buzzkill said something around release day about the chrome being a little thicker than anticipated and changing the tolerances just a bit. My chrome unit juice door did rattle some, but my black one was more snug. - It has loosened a little and does rattle just a tiny bit now but I don't think the door could fall off. -- Anyway, even when a little 'rattly' the magnets are pretty strong and do get stronger with time (there is a post from mwa somewhere describing how rare earth magnets gain affinity over time - I don't understand it all that well, but they do).

There was one unit in the very first batch that went out where one of the magnets was inserted the wrong polarity. If it seems like one of your magnets is in the wrong way and is pushing the door away, then I think you'll need to ask for some tech support in the notcigs sub-forum. I don't remember how that was solved or if the user was able to solve it themselves.

and maybe i just imagined this or am mixing up my youtube reviews: does the VVPV have any indicator that the batteries are low and need a charge? like a color change on the LED or flashing LED, anything like that?

and geez, does this device charge incredibly fast!

No. There is no low battery indicator. At one point, i thought there was too, but it turned out that wasn't right (I don't remember where I got that idea either). When the batteries get really low, you might notice the blue LED dimming out while you're taking a drag, but by then, they're dead on your next drag. - Mine charges in about a half hour or maybe 40 minutes at the longest.

The amount of vape time you'll get between charges will increase through the first three charge cycles. li-on batteries reach about 98% of their energy charge density in 3 to 5 charge cycles (according to what I've read on the candlepower forums anyway). It is really likely that you'll be able to drain the 5ml bottle and then some between charges with a unit running the trustfire flames. There are a few factors to consider like what voltage & resistance you are running at and if you shut the unit off in between vape sessions etc, but the regulator is very efficient and I know you'll be very pleased with the run times per charge.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
An external version of that is called The Dripper: The Dripper / Extra VVProV bottle - notcigs.com

As you see, the dripper comes with its own whistle-tip DT. If you wanted to use a different DT you could add: Vvpv drip tip adapter - notcigs.com which replaces the whistle tip. Alternately if you use say an IO6 atty you could use a gratefulvapor sleeve adapter and punch the small hole in it to put the feed tube into.

What VVPV does is provide the notcigs Pro electronics (nice buck VV, simple wheel control), along with the top feed, in a single package.

If you really like dripping, the top feed system is quite nice, excellent flavor, though I'd just bite the bullet and get a VVPV (I did :) )

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
Lol! I should have just asked you more questions on the Plastic Bottles thread!
I'm totally new to this type of device and dripping...I've been an avid carto/tank person since I essentially started vaping..so I'm not very familiar with dripping and drippping accessories. That link you provided is what I'm looking at for my Provari..
The Dripper / Extra VVProV bottle - notcigs.com

So that bottle is made of glass correct? I can't see that well, but I'm assuming you'd need an atty for that right? If I got some 3.0 ohm atty's (I like to vape at 5 volts) and this kit that's all I'd need, correct? If the bottle is made of glass, how does the juice get up through the tubing? From your 'sucking'? What about leakage from this? Do you have to be sure to keep your APV upright?

BTW I just wanted to say THANK YOU Mark! You've been a big help to me recently. I've learned about cleaning cartos, punching cartos and now this from you! Thanks! You're a big help!

Edited to add: While The Buzz does look like an excellent APV, I'm not in the market for another one right now. I just got this Provari about 2 months ago, and it's still a new love affair! lol!

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
It is an all glass bottle, with a spritzer top, at least that is what the actual VVPV bottle is. Push the bottle top plunger, it moves eliquid up the tube, out the far end. I believe the picture might be old, updated with the VVPV. You get about 2 drops per button push, a reasonable amount, equivalent I take it to what many would do themselves by manual dripping.

I use a drip shield to pick up any excess eliquid, especially since I'm pretty new to atties (though other atty people also say they are good to use). I'm using an Empire Mods 901 drip shield, which overlaps slightly with a short 901/510 adapter (set the lower seal just below the 510 intake holes to make it act like a big catch cup). If the Provari already has a decent catch cup this ould be unnecessary, but for instance the VVPV doesn't have one, and the drip shield helps lots.

You do want to keep the PV at least more-or-less upright, if you've really overdone the eliquid, but unless you are flooding the heck out of it there isn't much of a problem. The golden goal, best I can tell, is prime the atty initially, then just one button press every couple of puffs; if it starts to taste even slightly dry, time for a new button press. Ideally the drip shield is only having to contain a couple drops total of eliquid at any time.

No reason not to stay with the Provari -- a wonderful PV by all accounts :)

You can post a tech question on the notcigs web site, asking if the dripper is indeed as I described it (glass bottle, spritzer push-button top), else in the notcigs forum area there's a VVPV sticky where the question would be fine to ask. Bovinia should get back to you pretty quickly.

Here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/notcigs/293334-vvpv-design-talk-part-2-a-14.html
or
Here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rt-area-post-here-tech-support-please-28.html
Are fine threads to ask in.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I am vaping a LR 357 901 V2 atomizer on the VVPV at lowest setting - and it is absolutely the most potent vape I've ever experienced.

I have some 2.0 and 2.5 Ohm 357's awaiting the rotation ( i hope they wait a long time because they will have to replace a dead 357 ).

I'm stocked with more than i need overall, but I know there is nothing more out there in ecig world that is going to outvape what I'm packing.
Including all the juice I will need for at least a month... about 150 ml of my favorite juice...
Now I seriously have to consider cutting that 18mg down...

With this above set up it's too darn easy to overdose.... i didn't count on this "problem".

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I'm baaack! lol! I've ordered the bottle etc, and I'm going to try it out on my Provari, but after doing alot of reading, I'm thinking a new APV aka: VVProV may be in my not so distant future. This device sounds like what I'm looking for. I've been an avid cartomizer/tank person for most of my short vaping life. I've NEVER been a dripper, until now....maybe. Can you guys tell me how long you keep your batteries in the device before switching them out? How do you know when to do this? Also, I have some AW-IMR 14500's (4) that are pretty new. Could I use them in the VVProV? I have 2 chargers, one that came with my Provari and a Pila charger. Can I use these chargers to charge the Trustfire batteries that come with the VVProV? And if so, is there a way to not get another charger from notcigs, and maybe cut down the initial cost? Also, and this is a minor thing..but if you only need one #5 allen wrench, why does he send you a whole set?:blink:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
VVPV comes with its own charger, a dedicated one that plugs into a jack in the side of the unit; charge time is pretty fast. You vape it until you get the low charge indication (vapor output drops drastically, you get both red and blue lights (purple) when pressing the fire button).

Ask in the notcigs VVPV thread about the IMRs. You would need input from notcigs since it is a stacked charger design, not sure if there is anything that goes against using the IMR.

Changing the batteries is actually rare, as in you run them for X months, then just swap to a different pair. It's actually a Torx screw head, rather than allen. I picked up a small Torx set from HomeDepot that I like a lot, before he started including a Torx driver with the units: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=10053&langId=-1&keyword=torx&storeId=10051

It is possible to remove the batteries and charge them on a standard Pila, Xtar, tr001, but those little Torx screws really aren't designed to be removed/replaced daily. Think of it as a single unit, more like a Darwin, where it just happens that the user is able to change the batteries rather than return it to the shop for the procedure.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
The double 14500 setup really lasts quite a long time, and the on/off switch helps preserve charge (imo). Like six says, it only takes 30 to 40 inutes to charge which is astounding especially for how long it lasts.

THe VVPV is a great APV, thanks to markfm's data, less experienced vapers can get a rundown of whether it's a good choice for them... i agree newbs need an orientation.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
if markfm and six are around on this thread: you guys have helped me with my VVPV in the past so now i am going to ask a huge favor. i have had some trouble with leaking in the top area of my dripper bottle--the folks at notcigs have just sent me a new one. could you guys please take a picture or describe how you orient the bottle and tube inside the vvpv? pics would be absolutely so helpful!

i love the device but having to wipe out the insides with a napkin from leaking juices after every 1-2ml of vaped juices has been a real drag. expecially since the VVPV has been my everyday on the go vape...

thanks so much for all the help in advance, guys. you two really are the VVPV gurus and all your feedback has been so helpful!

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
the juice bottle area is a problem since it's so small and tight in there. best you can do is find the best way to situate the tube so it doesn't kink which can create back pressure on the bottle, causing the leak at the white cap cylinder to express out... that's where most of the leaking seems to be.
Six angles his to the back and left side, i put my tube towards the right, as the glued tube seems to be leaning that way, and let it go down and then back up to the hole... theres less tubing on the top that way and it seems to be the best in my case.

I also put a folded piece of paper towel along the length of the bottle enclosure along the door. This seems to keep everything dry for the length of the juice amount, maybe a few fills.
if markfm and six are around on this thread: you guys have helped me with my VVPV in the past so now i am going to ask a huge favor. i have had some trouble with leaking in the top area of my dripper bottle--the folks at notcigs have just sent me a new one. could you guys please take a picture or describe how you orient the bottle and tube inside the vvpv? pics would be absolutely so helpful!

i love the device but having to wipe out the insides with a napkin from leaking juices after every 1-2ml of vaped juices has been a real drag. expecially since the VVPV has been my everyday on the go vape...

thanks so much for all the help in advance, guys. you two really are the VVPV gurus and all your feedback has been so helpful!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
I absolutely agree with uke, it is variable.

Looking towards the compartment, mine points out towards the right edge, with a small loop down and then up and out through the hole.

A small double piece of tissue works if it is a tiny leak.

It looks like I now have a totally non leaking feed. The action on it is firm, takes a bit of pressure to push the button, and the plunger white part is nice and tight. With the leakier top pieces the plunger rotates easily, but not this one.

Edit, turns out I had a slight clog in the hose. I blew it out, action is easier and not seeing leaks.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I asked Mike long ago, maybe he hasn't gotten to it yet,, but,,here's the fix,,> to notch out that upper right inside back wall in the bottle compartment, where the hose rubs against it, just like 1/2''x1/2'' so the hose had nothing to rub against, this should be done, its just to tight without that back upper right corner being notched out, this would solve everything in my opinion, giving some room for the movement of the bottle head and where the hose is bent in the bottle compartment and rubs, the hose might not even be bent so much if notched out and definitely wouldn't kink and cause an issue if there was a notch on that back wall upper right hand corner. I'd like to dremmel mine out but dont want to risk messing it up, but I may take mine apart and do so if nothing gets done, its the only fix the way I see it.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
It really also includes variability in the bottle heads. Some of them will leak completely outside the unit, no hose kink at all, eliquid comes up around the plunger cylinder.

I've suggested before that they really need to check before shipping, distilled water would be fine, run one bottle worth through.

Notching in the back will help if a given bottle is close, on the edge, though not in the ones where the plunger is a really loose fit.

(note, notcigs staff can't see this thread, post in the notcigs forum area vvpv thread for things you want buzz or bov to be able to respond to)

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Holy crap, this thing is great! Sooooo glad I got one of these.

I haven't found a better PV. It really is great... about as close to perfect as I can imagine. I've owned a lot of respectable vaping kit. The VVPV is the cream of the crop. I only have one other that can even compare... and that one has the same VV chip ;)

After the forum admins expanded the APV Discussion area and moved things around, I sort of forgot about this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread