The warmer weather \ leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zildjian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Oregon
Yesterday went to a buddies to help him stain his deck. Brought my Russian 91 on my mech mod, and my Vivi Nova on my VV/VW ego.

Left the Russian in my car inside my backpack pocket as this was just to heavy to use whilst staining.

After about 5 hours when I went home, I went to take out my Russian, and I could smell the juice. I thought to myself Oh no my juice leaked, and sure enough it did. I leaked about 1.5 to 2 ML (I could tell by how much was left in the tank) out of the air hole.

It has never leaked before, and did not leak once I whipped it off, and got it home.

I have heard of pressure changes making them leak such as with a plane trip or climbing Mt. Everest :).

Has anyone had this happen to them, or was this just a fluke? It wasn't even that hot out only about 80, and probably about 90-95 inside the car.

Zildjian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Oregon
Temps inside a car on an 80 degree day can easily reach 120 degrees. Juice is liquid that is thinned by higher heats. I live in Florida, I don't leave my juice inside the car....

I would bet that one of your o rings leaked the juice...

It leaked from my air hole.

Thanks Porkchop that makes sense. I just noticed that the juice running from that leak messed up the Petina on my Brass King. So ...... right now.

"I live in Florida" Go Dolphins :)

Last edited:

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I had a simpler experience a little over a year ago. I had a vivi nova on an ego battery. It was a hot summer day, I tossed the set up in my glovebox. I was gone for a couple of hours, when I got back juice had leaked out everywhere! I believe it will happen in high temps with any setup. The heat causes the e liquid to thin.

Zildjian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Oregon
Temps inside a car on an 80 degree day can easily reach 120 degrees. Juice is liquid that is thinned by higher heats. I live in Florida, I don't leave my juice inside the car....

I would bet that one of your o rings leaked the juice...

Well I think your right, as I just did a refresh rebuild because it started to leak again. New rebuild leaked as well.
I'm thinking one of the O rings went and now air is getting in there, thus causing the leak. Now to figure out which one it is.

jswag5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Indiana
i have had this happen to me with my Kayfuns and ProTanks. Pressure builds inside the tanks from the heat and pushes fluid out the air intake. Try storing them upside down if you know they are going to be in the heat, works well for me.

when i leave any bottom coil tank in the car i make sure it is turned upside down, i still may leak some depending the condition of o-rings and how full it is, but it helps a lot

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Hot cars are a definite no for these things I've determined. If unavoidable, then storing them upside down makes sense for a bottom coil. I'm bracing myself for summer. Also pulled the trigger on an Erlkonigin. It's an RTA similar to a Kayfun, but with a special juice feeding system that is supposed to somewhat alleviate issues with large shifts in pressure and temperature. Hopefully it works!

omyeyes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Las Vapors, NV
When I go to the pool and it's 104+, I bring a lil' ice pack and a small bag to keep my mods in when not using them. Just don't keep them directly next to the ice pack.
6-20-14 (2).jpg

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Ever hear the one about someone heating up a battery to see what happens ?
In the last two weeks here in the UK we have had lovely, sunny hot weather. One of my friends who vapes left her Innokin vw set up in her car for 3 days. It stopped working.
Another of my friends left his smartphone in his car for 3 HOURS. Came back to use it and the battery had ruined the phone. When he took the battery out it had swollen up to 1" thick. Luckily the battery was in some sort of LiPo bag coating so didn't explode.
By all means store kayfuns and the like upside down when not in use but don't leave batteries in cars. Please.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
its not so much the pressure changes that cause leaking as much as its the viscosity between the juice in the wicks and the juice in the tank equalising. if you top off your tank when they equalise the wicks will suck up the juice like a straw and flood the coil chamber.
some juice will do this in a new set up. some will do this after the juice in the wicks has thickened over time. some will never do this.
i use top coil tanks only so my recommendation will not work for bottom coil systems. if you start experiencing flooding issues fill the tank to the second fill marker below full. this has eliminated 100 % of my flooding issues and, 90 % of any gurgling problems. you can adjust from there. i personally do this all the time as i'm to lazy to track which juice is more inclined to do this as opposed to another. i hope this helps.

regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread