The Wheeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccubed

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
Denver, CO
When did you start to notice a difference in how you felt??

I think everyone is different, but I could feel a difference in about 3 weeks. I noticed it when I ran up a flight of stairs at work one afternoon and was not out of breath at the top. It felt soooo different, I ran back down and ran back up again for no reason. Also at about 3 or 4 weeks, my housemates let me know that they noticed that my coughing had drastically reduced. I really felt better.

Hi

This seems to be a very different matter for every person. I was a 30 year 2 PAD smoker and never had any wheezing going on. I did have the typical rattles in my chest when laying down. Even when I smoked and my MD or Allergist checked my lungs were surprisingly clear, despite what I was doing to them.

All I can say is if it concerns you go get a professional listen and their assessment about what is going on. We do a lot of damage during our years of smoking. vaping isn't a miracle cure for all that. As my Allergist said, if quittiing smoking could reverse lung damage all people who have emphysema would have to do is quit smoking and it would go away. Doesn't quite work that way.

You may also want to back off on lung inhaling your vape until your lungs get a chance to clear the gunk out. Lung inhaling doesn't work for everyone, and it isn't necessary to get your nicotine from vaping either. See hear for a read: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/337017-inhalation-technique-e-cigarette.html

I used to be a deep lung inhaler when I smoked. Let's just say that didn't work when I started vaping. I seldom lung inhale vape now - although I can - and really don't miss that part of smoking.

I have trouble knowing how I like to vape different setups. I have a ego twist with cheap C4.... but different liquids seem to require different techniques. My husband has the Kanger unitank mini and of course it hits way different. We've been discussing how to hit his vs mine vs different liquids all night! Thanks for the link!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Well, As my experience and internet research has shown, is yes, your coughing and wheezing will continue for a while, but it's different for everyone. It will eventually stop. From what I understand, you have a buildup of tar in your lungs. slowly, that will start to come out. Increased phlem will occur during the quitting stage. My wheezing actually got worse when I first stopped analogs, but then slowly got better. After 3 months, it has almost all gone away.

There is one very adverse side effect of switching to E-cigs that has never been fully addressed, and has been kind of pushed aside in most of these conversations. The blatant disregard of this information is almost criminal and should be reported to the FDA for further investigation. Oh, that one side effect? You get to find out how bad your wife's cooking really tastes!

...criminal.. just criminal.....

I remember when my mother quit smoking... she had smoked over 20 year 2+ packs daily. Her cough and hacking got worse. She quit cold turkey it was back when there were no patches or alternatives. She would cough worse crap up than when she was smoke for awhile... probably months. I was young so I dont quite remember but I really remember her struggling over the fact she appeared to feel worse but the doc told her it was her lungs healing themselves.

Deeo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It was weird for me. I wheezed with smoking and once i started on my ecig the wheeze left but only for a week or so, then it came back and i was confused. However about 2 days later i woke up and hacked up a lot of yuck. Then i have no wheeze for a few more days. I have noticed since then that when i have a couple wheezing days i end up hacking up some really large yuck. So i am thinking it has to do with all that tar and crap breaking up, off and out of my lungs.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
It takes a while to break up all of the built up tar and oils that have collected in your lungs. For a heavy smoker it will take a month to 3 months to clear your lungs out. Then there is the healing that takes place too, with your damaged lungs newly exposed to air it will take a while for them to heal, so you may have occasional chest pains and coughing fits when breathing heavy as well. The healing process could last up to 6 months.

And those of you talking about noticing the difference on short walks or climbing stairs are really missing out.

I've been into rock climbing and mountaineering for more than 20 years. Climbed and hiked at 10,000+ feet with lungs half full of tar for years. Last summer I went to Colorado and went hiking at 12,000 feet for the first time since quitting smoking, and even my 12 year old daughter was having trouble keeping up with me. Hiked the 10 mile round trip route to Hallet Peak, and felt amazing at the top.

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Ironically, I picked up a hat that says "Got Oxygen?" while I was there.

Last edited:

Free6413

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Spring, Texas
You have to remember that it took you all those years of building up that gunk in your lungs. It'll take a while to get rid of it. I still have mornings that I get the rattle in my chest and have to get it out. I find myself talking during the day and feel the rattle too! It is completely normal and should subside after a couple of months. It will only get better with time. So will your smell and breath to get out and do more! I went for a walk with my 13 year old son the other day and after climbing up and down hills in the woods, he had to stop and breathe. That was a first for me. I will cough up crud forever in order to have that happen to me again. The little things in life are the most important!

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
When are you suppose to experience the coughing up? No cig for 14 days, but nothing is rattling, moving or shaking loose. Have some lung/chest pains with deep inhale, but have had those since last case of bronchitis back in Nov. Maybe Mucinex might help.

You know, like everything else, I think it must be different for everyone. I smoked heavily for over 40 years, and have not experienced coughing since I quit the smokes. Before, I coughed quite a bit every morning when I first got up, but not much during the day.

Almost immediately after starting vaping, I quit coughing in the morning (or any other time). It's been almost a month now, and I feel great!

Free6413

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Spring, Texas
Well, As my experience and internet research has shown, is yes, your coughing and wheezing will continue for a while, but it's different for everyone. It will eventually stop. From what I understand, you have a buildup of tar in your lungs. slowly, that will start to come out. Increased phlem will occur during the quitting stage. My wheezing actually got worse when I first stopped analogs, but then slowly got better. After 3 months, it has almost all gone away.

There is one very adverse side effect of switching to E-cigs that has never been fully addressed, and has been kind of pushed aside in most of these conversations. The blatant disregard of this information is almost criminal and should be reported to the FDA for further investigation. Oh, that one side effect? You get to find out how bad your wife's cooking really tastes!

...criminal.. just criminal.....

That is just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!!

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
You know, like everything else, I think it must be different for everyone. I smoked heavily for over 40 years, and have not experienced coughing since I quit the smokes. Before, I coughed quite a bit every morning when I first got up, but not much during the day.

Almost immediately after starting vaping, I quit coughing in the morning (or any other time). It's been almost a month now, and I feel great!

I'm in same situation after 40 years, although not feeling great...but good.

oxidus

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Canada
I wonder if the vapour actually helps speed up the clearing process? Sort of like using a pot of boiling water when you're stuffed up? I guess that would depend if you're inhaling it or not, I really don't know.

Incidentally, I was coughing up all kinds of stuff for the first week. Occasionally I get some leftover phlegm in the second week. Now starting week 3 and maybe one cough today, that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread