Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
This. This is my problem. In my state university leaders are out to ban 190 proof alcohol. Say it's a date rape drug and bad for college kids. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/..._n_4736319.html?utm_hp_ref=college&ir=College Soooo you want to ban something, that as an adult I can consume if I so choose, because it's bad for the college kids? Aww heeeeeeeeck no! Plus I need everclear to clean my gear! I swear there is just no common sense anymore, the gov't wants to control EVERYTHING and babysit us. Sad state of affairs if you ask me. Let the daggone college kids have their jungle juice. What will they learn if they don't make a few bad choices? ;)

interestingly enough, PG county may be setting a precedent for the whole state soon... Md. County Holds Off on E-Cigarette Ban | NBC4 Washington

it's held off for now, but still in the works pending the study. it's doubtful the study is going to change all perceptions of all council members, but hopefully it's enough.

EDIT: what ever happened to "no gum in class"? :glare:

Last edited:

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
They're all 18 years old. Each and every one of them. There's two main crews. I cannot believe how many eighteen-year-olds are still in high school. I graduated at 17. I wasn't even driving until my junior year.

I sympathize with you and am fairly close to being an old coot myself but old enough to die for our country means they are old enough to decide how to spend their own money. vaping in class means a teacher needs to be fired!

I don't hang out in the vape stores and cringe when I run out of something and have to go into one because of the "head shop" decor & clientele in some of the ones around St. Louis. I would love to own or manage a nice vape lounge with a coffee bar. The store where I bought my first kit was just 2 ladies selling what few items they carried but it was 1000 times better than the big shops in the area. No coffee or lounge area but no hookahs or people with multiple piercings lisping at me, either.

You can't graduate at 17 in Missouri anymore unless you were born in June or July. You have to be 5 years old before August 1st to enter kindergarten. 5 + 13 = 18. Except for the June & July babies (I had 2), only home schooled or prodigies make it earlier than that. Many kids are 19 or 20 before they graduate because they aren't "mature" enough for kindergarten, miss too many days in a semester and have to make it up as well as the "held back for their own good" kids that we've always had. My June baby daughter's best friend was 20 when she graduated--daughter was 17.

Scootaloo

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Well I think it’s silly a school is allowing E-cigs in class even if it’s 0mg of nicotine: outside fine but in class I think that’s a bit inappropriate.

As for kids vaping having never smoked: I think these kids are old enough to make the decision to do so, and have made a very good one when you consider the alternative is smoking, I’d say vaping is the much ‘lesser evil’ as the saying goes.

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
You would be surprised, there are some regulars on this forum that are quite young and aren't in this just for the "new fad feeling" ;)
<<<
I've have 3 years of vaping experience under my belt, prior to making the switch I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day. When I was younger I almost died due to my left lung collapsing due to a sever asthma attack and my right lung we were told had less than 40% capacity if they were to put it in percentage form. Then I started smoking a year later. I figured when I found out about vaping it would be in my best interested to make the switch :) People relate age to how mature you are most of the time and it saddens me a bit. I realize that a few bad impressions you get can help form an everlasting view on something/someone but I hope everyone knows not all of us "youngins" are all ....... I'm going to be 20 this year for anyone curious.

On the topic of schools. I personally believe that schools should ban all ecig use on property as they have with smoking. If they want to vape enough they will do so outside of class. I would have never vaped when I was in a classroom. That's just silly and asking for unwanted attention and an argument.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
interestingly enough, PG county may be setting a precedent for the whole state soon... Md. County Holds Off on E-Cigarette Ban | NBC4 Washington

it's held off for now, but still in the works pending the study. it's doubtful the study is going to change all perceptions of all council members, but hopefully it's enough.

EDIT: what ever happened to "no gum in class"? :glare:

Just had to say, I love your avatar.

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
I'll just sum it up and end this thread:

TEENS ARE ANNOYING AS BLANK.

I don't agree with the whole vape in class thing. But I to like the idea of kids vaping at 16 than start smoking at 16 like I did.

Yes, teens are dumb (I know from experience), so why on earth would a school allow vaping (even zero nic) in the classroom, for 18 year olds (I'm assuming)?

It is a complete distraction from the educational environment (they still TEACH in schools, right?), just like eating, drinking, chewing gum, sporting mohawks, wearing hats and wearing revealing clothing. Those things are frowned upon (dress and conduct codes--I HOPE they still have those in secondary/primary schools...).

The idea of a 16 year old vaping instead of smoking is definitely the better of two evils (for minors--this is an adult choice). However, promoting and supporting it in the schools (and classrooms, even) really grinds my gears. There's a fine line this school is crossing by unintentionally undermining parental responsibility and authority. Even an 18 year old high school student is indeed still under the parents' responsibility and umbrella of authority. Yikes!

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
just like eating, drinking, chewing gum, sporting mohawks, wearing hats and wearing revealing clothing. Those things are frowned upon (dress and conduct codes--I HOPE they still have those in secondary/primary schools...).
I graduated high school in '09 and when I got there as a freshmen and when I left as a graduate, all of these activities were allowed in the classroom.

There are rarely dress codes in schools anymore. There's no need for them, the teacher or school administrators make a judgment call on a case by case basis. If somebody is being purposefully disruptive they are told to go home and fix it, if they aren't it's a freedom of expression issue and children have as much a right to express themselves to the world (and much more of a need to) as adults do.

Eating, drinking and chewing gum were classroom rules that were entirely up to the teacher.

And it turns out, when you allow students to eat, drink and express themselves in schools they produce better work and are more apt to listen to what you have to say because you're giving them responsibility and they respect you more because you're treating them like adults.

Just a commentary on the argument that's like beating a dead horse in this thread. Vaping in the classroom is completely different than chewing gum.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
This is not about kids (=minors) following a new trend. This is not about kids being any more rebellious or obnoxious than my generation (actually, this generation is a bunch of wimps compared to mine: anti-war, anti-draft, women's lib, anti-segregation, {OTHER STUFF}, flower power. This generation is rather docile in comparison).

This is about my rights to use ecigs as a spectacularly successful smoking cessation therapy vs. a minor's rights to be trendy. I was a 1.5 pack/day Red smoker and tried everything to quit. It will be 4 years for me in April.

My right to vape and buy "stuff" relatively unimpeded by any legislation is being seriously threatened by the incredible proliferation of ecig usage by minors. I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT A MINOR'S RIGHT TO SELF EXPRESSSION. Let them pay their dues by going through the maturation process the way every generation has.

When will the vaping community and the ex-smokers in particular realize that we are a minority and kids vaping is really ticking off the majority?

I blame the B&M's for this unethical expression of capitalism. No adult in his/her right mind would pay the ludicrous prices of the B&M's when they have a credit card and can buy online for far less. Their market is a youth, all cash payment market. Just walk into a B&M with open eyes to see that.

More importantly, I blame the cloud chasing sub-ohm craze as being the biggest threat to my right to be smoke free. Sub ohming has the potential to be very dangerous not only to the users but to those around them.

The tide of public opinion is turning against us. Brats blowing annoying clouds in public and starting a debate about the long term dangers of second hand vape is one thing.

Now, you are adding a danger which leaves no room for debate since the effect is immediate and gory.

So, take your platitudes and stuff them. You are messing up my life. I would have backed any legislation that prevents the sale and usage of ecigs to minors.

Unfortunately, it's too late for that. Any new anti-vaping legislation will be far more draconian.

Preach!! ... I was gonna do my damnedest to make it out of this thread without posting, but you made it impossible, because I couldn't agree with you more!

@Rocketpunk, ... I think you are irked because there is something genuinely irksome about hyper, noisy, oblivious, and rude teenagers. I relate to where you are coming from because I have said a few times on this forum that I am not a fan of this new, younger generation of vapers, and I do not believe its a good look for the community on a whole ... but what are we going to do?? There is nothing we can do, just as there was nothing that adults could do to stop us from smoking when we were kids... most especially when the same adults who were telling us that we could not smoke, were doing it themselves, and often times right in front of our faces.

This growth, and popularity spurt amongst teenagers does warrant genuine concern. Even as smoking cigarettes is detrimental to one's health over time, e cigarette products in the hands of "wreckless youth" I think is potentially just as dangerous, if not more so ... and not over the long term, but immediately. If we were still in the era of cig a likes, and Ego's I would far less concerned. But this is the age of the mechanical mod, RBA's, and sub ohming, all of which are potentially very dangerous in the hands of the ignorant, and inexperienced. And too many sub ohm'ers prefer to DEFEND their position on sub ohm vaping, rather than taking greater responsibility for how they do, what they do, out in the world, with the bored youth looking on in curiosity, and envy.

From the perspective of state legislation, and its anti-e cigarette officials, this "new generation" of vapers is the perfect target of focus to substantiate any anti-e cigarette point of view. I don't think its a coincidence that recent legislative attempts to ban, restrict, and propose ridiculous levels of taxation on the sale of e-cigarettes, appears to be gaining some serious momentum as of late ... and rightly so. Once our youth became a part of the rapidly growing population of e-cigarette users, it gave local state legislators a serious leg to stand on... how could it not?

Just a few years ago, I believe that the vaping community had greater success with keeping anti-e cigarette legislators off our backs because vaping was still largely an "adult" activity ... not so anymore. I am not concerned with whether teenagers are vaping zero nic vs 18mg nic, nor am I disputing the fact that it would be better for ANY living being to vape vs smoke, whether it be a teenager, or grown adult.

I am concerned about the DANGERS of sub ohm vaping in the hands of children who can barely put forth the effort required to comb their hair, and pull up their pants on a daily basis, let alone be responsible for consistently taking all of the safety precautions REQUIRED to sub ohm safely with mechanical mods ... lets keep it real people, most of these these teenagers are not checking for your CE2 and Ego set up.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I graduated high school in '09 and when I got there as a freshmen and when I left as a graduate, all of these activities were allowed in the classroom.

There are rarely dress codes in schools anymore. There's no need for them, the teacher or school administrators make a judgment call on a case by case basis. If somebody is being purposefully disruptive they are told to go home and fix it, if they aren't it's a freedom of expression issue and children have as much a right to express themselves to the world (and much more of a need to) as adults do.

Eating, drinking and chewing gum were classroom rules that were entirely up to the teacher.

And it turns out, when you allow students to eat, drink and express themselves in schools they produce better work and are more apt to listen to what you have to say because you're giving them responsibility and they respect you more because you're treating them like adults.

Just a commentary on the argument that's like beating a dead horse in this thread. Vaping in the classroom is completely different than chewing gum.

I guess it all depends on the school system. My daughter's high school frequently has kids testing the limits. The only one that they tend not to enforce is the short shorts. Apparently, that is all they make. Go figure. She said they usually send them home if cheeks show. Some girl decided to dye her hair pink. She was sent home and had to get it dyed before she could come back. Highlights appear to be tolerated.

Depending on how you are classifying vaping and gum chewing, they are not necessarily different. They both can be considered a distraction. Some dude smacking his gum or some dude blowing a cloud... Not sure which I would think is more of a distraction.

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
I agree the school's allowing it is absurd but then again I began using tobacco products at 14.
I had several teachers throughout school that would let me sneak one right off school grounds and if they weren't cool with it I would throw in a small pinch or leaf or two and never received more than a slap on the wrist. My senior year I was 18 so they couldn't stop me from leaving school grounds so I would step 5 steps away from the line and light up with several others. I guess it's just being from a super small town in Tennessee where it is the norm.
While the school should at least add some disciplinary action for vaping I honestly as a teacher I would feel a little happy on the inside that they are vaping rather than using tobacco. I have already had part of my gum removed and have destroyed my teeth root systems. I would rather them vape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
I guess it all depends on the school system. My daughter's high school frequently has kids testing the limits. The only one that they tend not to enforce is the short shorts. Apparently, that is all they make. Go figure. She said they usually send them home if cheeks show. Some girl decided to dye her hair pink. She was sent home and had to get it dyed before she could come back. Highlights appear to be tolerated.

Depending on how you are classifying vaping and gum chewing, they are not necessarily different. They both can be considered a distraction. Some dude smacking his gum or some dude blowing a cloud... Not sure which I would think is more of a distraction.
Of course they're going to test the limits, how else are you going to find out where the limits are!?

If you have somebody smacking on gum being irritating, I'm sure they'd be asked to stop regardless of the rules, but that shouldn't, and doesn't, stop people from doing it if they're being respectful and discrete.

I'm sure this "radical" school system that allows vaping isn't letting these students blow .25 ohm monster clouds all through class, just like no school allows girls to wear skirts at a length less than their underwear.

Every time a blanket rule is made, it's bad. If somebody is being a disruption, they're told to stop. But if they aren't, why tell them to stop..?

Edit: your daughters school system seems quite fascist. I had bright pink hair in eighth grade, much to the admiration of my fellow students and teachers. The more you tell a teen not to do something, the more they want to do it.

Last edited:

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I'm starting to see a whole bunch of 18 year olds getting into this.

It's not because they want to quit smoking. It's because all their friends are doing it. Evidentally, a local school here allows vaping if it's zero nic. In class. I don't think this is wise.

I was never peer pressured as a teen. I consciously made the decisions to do what I did. No one said, "Hey, hit this!" I just did because everyone else was doing it.

I have a moral issue selling to eighteen-year-olds. They come into establishments in groups, talk loudly, use profanity, hop like monkeys back and forth, distracting everyone, and they all ask a million questions all at the same time.

I hate that I'm a curmudgeon, I just don't know what to do with myself.

EDIT: I am not an ANTZ, I am a vaper 110% but I don't know why this irks me.

The teenage years are experimentation. I think this E-Cig issue is absurd. I would much rather they experiment with vaping than smoking. Am I wrong or should the ultimate responsibility reside with the parents?

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Of course they're going to test the limits, how else are you going to find out where the limits are!?

If you have somebody smacking on gum being irritating, I'm sure they'd be asked to stop regardless of the rules, but that shouldn't, and doesn't, stop people from doing it if they're being respectful and discrete.

I'm sure this "radical" school system that allows vaping isn't letting these students blow .25 ohm monster clouds all through class, just like no school allows girls to wear skirts at a length less than their underwear.

Every time a blanket rule is made, it's bad. If somebody is being a disruption, they're told to stop. But if they aren't, why tell them to stop..?

True enough. I tested them early and often through my younger years.

I would really like to be able to google the school. Consider most college campuses are "fighting" e-cigs, I would love to read about this school. I still can't believe a teacher would allow vaping in class.

My wife happens to be a teacher. 8th grade.. It is always the same kids making the same distractions even when being told not too. The real reason they do? Lack of parental anything at home.

Recently, she was threatened by a student. Punishment was 10 days in school suspension. I won't even get into her home life. Poor girl will have to make a drastic change to get out of it. This was the same student that told another teacher that she wishes she could experience a life like my wife talks about our kids.

Edit: your daughters school system seems quite fascist. I had bright pink hair in eighth grade, much to the admiration of my fellow students and teachers. The more you tell a teen not to do something, the more they want to do it.

Fascist? fas·cism
noun \ˈfa-ˌshi-zəm also ˈfa-ˌsi-\

: a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government

: very harsh control or authority

Not even close. Not surprising for a youngen to think everything is fascism without really knowing what fascism is. It is a conservative high school. One of the top ranked school systems in the state.

Last edited:

msgnyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
United States
At 18+ if they want to vape or smoke cigs thats their own choice. "You can go fight for your country and die, but you cant smoke/vape" o_O yeaaah, No.

I could understand if they were under 18 and I also dont believe it should be allowed at school. College? Not IN school. Around campus or in dorm rooms tho I dont really see any issue.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
It is not a bit different than kids smoking for the first time. I started extremely early. But for those kids that started in their late teens, this is no different except that it is a little better for you than smoking. I have no problem with it. I would rather them vape instead of firing up a fat one.

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
Fascist? fas·cism
noun \ˈfa-ˌshi-zəm also ˈfa-ˌsi-\

: a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government

: very harsh control or authority

Not even close. Not surprising for a youngen to think everything is fascism without really knowing what fascism is. It is a conservative high school. One of the top ranked school systems in the state.
I'm glad that you're willing to make assumptions about what I know based on my age ;)

I spent 3 months as a volunteer worker in chad helping the displaced refugees of the darfur genocide that happened because of the fascist regime.

Fascism doesn't have to rear it's ugly head in the form of a government, it can be any authoritative body, and when a school squashes freedom of expression, not only is that unconstitutional, it's fascist. Creativity and freedom of expression is one of the only truly good qualities young teens and young adults have, besides the drive to change the world and the belief that they can.

Would it be fascist for your state to limit your rights? I think so, and I also believe children and young adults should have the same rights as everybody who's above the age of 18, it's all in the parenting to make sure they end up ok.

Hate to reveal my age, but I am 18. However, I feel we're on the same page. I was able to start smoking cigarettes at the age of 13 so I turned 18 and got off the stinkies. But doing it in class is ridiculous. Kids will just lie about the 0 nic deal. Plus it's not a vape lounge, it's a classroom. If my school allowed it (which would NEVER happen) then I feel it would simply be a ridiculous distraction to see who could blow the biggest clouds in class. Do it off campus and don't do it until you're 18. A little hypocritical seeing as I started at 13, but if we're perfectly honest, your age doesn't stop you from getting pretty much anything these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread