Status
Not open for further replies.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Oh yeah, the books are amazing! And when someone asked Stephen King what he reads, the first thing out of his mouth? Tess Gerritsen! But Dr Isles is a bit darker character, in the books... still nice, but kinda... creepy. :D "Dr. Death" :D
I love Isles, she's adorable, and much more personable than others in the genre, notably Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan. Ugh!

My wife and I (mostly her) watch a lot of TV. Usually TNT, the rerun cycle of Charmed - Supernatural - Bones - Castle, then new shows like Major Crimes and Rizz&Isles. I'll get "into" a show just because it's on (she went through a phase with Drop Dead Diva - ugh) but of those Castle and Rizz&Isles are "my" shows. And there is (was) so much crossover potential there - imagine the Winchesters meeting the Halliwells, or Beckett consulting with Bones (Beckett was working in D.C. for half a season for crying out loud!)

Of course, if the TV watching was really up to me I'd likely be watching Planet Earth at any given time. I always forget which Attenborough is which, but I love em both!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I really enjoyed the Kubrick adaption and I have not seen the mini series, I must seek it out and give it a watch. I never saw Nicholson at all while reading Dr. Sleep, but kept seeing Olive Oil from that really HORRID Popeye movie instead of Wendy Torrance. I would have rather pictured her as Dame Pansy from Time Bandits, but Olive Oil kept popping into my head. :lol:

The mini-series was also cool because King did a Hitchcock (or maybe a Mel Brooks :lol:) in it; he plays the bandleader. :D But maybe not the full role; it might have been a single camera shot, of him directing the Overlook orchestra. Very sly -- just like Hitchcock. :D

I think I also saw Shelly Duval as the older Wendy, in Dr Sleep; whoever played that role in the mini-series was evidently eminently forgettable, because I can't even remember who it was.

But there was one role in the Kubrick version that really stands out, besides the leads: Scatman Crothers as the old black man. and I hated what Kubrick did to him, because that didn't happen in the book.

However, one of the movies is actually better in the end, than the book: Cujo. The movie studio insisted that the boy had to live. :D

Andria

Reactions: KattMamma

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
"The Langoliers" SERIOUSLY creeped me out;
An Excellent story!
The Secret Window came from that series as well as The Sun Dog which is a also very creepy.

Different Seasons was a great novella as well, with Shawshank, Apt Pupil and The Body (Stand by me).

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I love Isles, she's adorable, and much more personable than others in the genre, notably Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan. Ugh!

My wife and I (mostly her) watch a lot of TV. Usually TNT, the rerun cycle of Charmed - Supernatural - Bones - Castle, then new shows like Major Crimes and Rizz&Isles. I'll get "into" a show just because it's on (she went through a phase with Drop Dead Diva - ugh) but of those Castle and Rizz&Isles are "my" shows. And there is (was) so much crossover potential there - imagine the Winchesters meeting the Halliwells, or Beckett consulting with Bones (Beckett was working in D.C. for half a season for crying out loud!)

Of course, if the TV watching was really up to me I'd likely be watching Planet Earth at any given time. I always forget which Attenborough is which, but I love em both!

When Bones first started, I watched the first few episodes because y'know, David Boreanaz! I needed my Angel fix. :D But I hated the Bones character so much, I just couldn't watch it. I missed about 3-4 seasons, then it was on re-runs on some channel, and I saw some later-season episodes, and I was amazed at how she'd grown a personality, and my husband was amazed too when he would catch a bit of it -- she REALLY annoyed him! So eventually when another channel started the whole cycle from the beginning, we watched them all, and it's amazing, watching her develop; Emily Dechanel is an AMAZING actress, because she's actually kind of a goofball; I've seen her on talk shows, and she giggles a LOT!

It will be very interesting to see how the next season plays out, with them leaving the Jeffersonian.

Andria

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The mini-series was also cool because King did a Hitchcock (or maybe a Mel Brooks :lol:) in it; he plays the bandleader. :D But maybe not the full role; it might have been a single camera shot, of him directing the Overlook orchestra. Very sly -- just like Hitchcock. :D

I think I also saw Shelly Duval as the older Wendy, in Dr Sleep; whoever played that role in the mini-series was evidently eminently forgettable, because I can't even remember who it was.

But there was one role in the Kubrick version that really stands out, besides the leads: Scatman Crothers as the old black man. and I hated what Kubrick did to him, because that didn't happen in the book.

However, one of the movies is actually better in the end, than the book: Cujo. The movie studio insisted that the boy had to live. :D

Andria
King doing a Hitchcock is spot on!

There a too many changes between the book and Kubrick's version, so I just think of it as an alternate version. The movie is very entertaining and Kubrick was a true master.

King books don't have happy endings, but movie adaptations do for some strange reason. Hearts in Atlantis was a good adaptation without having to explain how All Things Serve The Beam.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

There a too many changes between the book and Kubrick's version, so I just think of it as an alternate version. The movie is very entertaining and Kubrick was a true master.

King books don't have happy endings, but movie adaptations do for some strange reason. Hearts in Atlantis was a good adaptation without having to explain how All Things Serve The Beam.

it's just standard formula for Hollywood; no matter what mayhem goes on, there's a happy ending. Never fails. TV is that way too, with the exception of The Following, and I refused to watch it again after the 1st season, because it did NOT have that happy ending. Production companies know that those happy endings are what we want in entertainment; if it's too grim, it's too much like real life, so why bother.

Actually I loved the ending of The Dark Tower... nothing else could have been more perfect. ;)

Andria

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
it's just standard formula for Hollywood; no matter what mayhem goes on, there's a happy ending. Never fails. TV is that way too, with the exception of The Following, and I refused to watch it again after the 1st season, because it did NOT have that happy ending. Production companies know that those happy endings are what we want in entertainment; if it's too grim, it's too much like real life, so why bother.

Actually I loved the ending of The Dark Tower... nothing else could have been more perfect. ;)

Andria
Yeah... Ka is a Wheel.
Once through Mid-World was enough for me. :thumbs:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California

Andria
So many people were ticked off at the dark tower ending....i thought it was perfect.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Hey guys, so far so good but I need to put it out there: I'm just at Wizard & Glass in DT so if I can ask that things remain spoiler-free I'd appreciate it!

I've got Go Set a Watchman sitting and waiting to be read as well, my first physical book purchase in years. I love my Kobo. No idea how you guys use a standard LCD for reading. Makes me go cross eyed.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com

Did you see Room 237? I caught it on Netflix and it just made me feel dumber watching it. It was like a conspiracy theorist tore the movie apart trying to connect some of the symbology and various props in the movie to the genocide of native americans. There was some interesting stuff about the movie but then it derailed into just complete nonsense. Kubrick is probably rolling in his grave over it.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Hey guys, so far so good but I need to put it out there: I'm just at Wizard & Glass in DT so if I can ask that things remain spoiler-free I'd appreciate it!

I've got Go Set a Watchman sitting and waiting to be read as well, my first physical book purchase in years. I love my Kobo. No idea how you guys use a standard LCD for reading. Makes me go cross eyed.
Ooohhhh so tempting to drop a big ole spoiler
:lol:just kidding:lol:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas

Andria
So many people were ticked off at the dark tower ending....i thought it was perfect.

I'm just at Wizard & Glass in DT so if I can ask that things remain spoiler-free I'd appreciate it!
I won't post any spoilers, but I will say I am one of those who did NOT like the ending. Can't say I hated it, but I just didn't like the way he did it.

I caught a King interview once before he finished the series, and he was asked if he was ever going to finish it. He of course mentioned the rabid fans who wanted him to finish it, and said it was finished in his head but that it was so long there was no way he'd ever get it written in his lifetime. So I guess he took some shortcuts to finish it for the fans.

I still love the series, and may need to give it another go after talking about it. If I go the audiobook route that should only take a few months to finish lol. :)

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
By any chance, have you run across The Regulators, which is actually under his "real" name, Richard Bachman? It's sort of "Desperation: Reshuffle"... the same characters, but... different. It's a mind-bender! But it's the same can-toi... ;)

Andria

Loved the Bachman stuff too. Bumped into The Regulators not too long ago, then had to go read Desperation again LOL

I don't remember the title now (gee - I read it over 20 years ago!), but in one of the Bachman short stories books there was one called My Pony or My Pretty Pony or something like that. It was a touching story about an old man talking to his grandson about the relativity of time - not a drop of horror in it!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Ok -- that was actually the first of the DT's that I picked up... read the first few pages (Blaine) and was like.. "what the HELL is this?" Had to get the first one and start at the beginning. :D

I won't post any spoilers, but I will say I am one of those who did NOT like the ending. Can't say I hated it, but I just didn't like the way he did it.

I caught a King interview once before he finished the series, and he was asked if he was ever going to finish it. He of course mentioned the rabid fans who wanted him to finish it, and said it was finished in his head but that it was so long there was no way he'd ever get it written in his lifetime. So I guess he took some shortcuts to finish it for the fans.

In the interest of no spoilers... I'll just say, I've been a believer in karma for about 30 yrs now... karma=ka in my mind... and yeah, it's a wheel. :D Steely Dan had a song about it.... ;)

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Have ANY of the vaunted authors ever mentioned vaping even once in any of their books??

Harumph!!! :nah::p:lol:

Actually yes... I mentioned Robert B Parker quite a ways up there...? A character in one of the Jesse Stone novels was vaping a cigalike (which may have been pretty much all that existed at that time), in order to quit smoking real ones.

Andria

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Did everyone get the CASAA email to change the Grandfather date on current products? I wish the Modwompers had a Bat Signal we could use to get the word out and assemble the troops.

I did and sent it out. It's really easy, quick and simple, here's the link... Send a Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread