Status
Not open for further replies.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
ROFL.... I fergit if it was Azimov or Arthur C. Clark, but it's an amazing quote: "Technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic."

We don't think about the current our houses are attached to, the enormous infrastructure that makes it all possible (until some yahoo hits a pole and brings it all crashing down, anyway), we just flip a switch... MAGIC! We have light/sound/whatever we want, at the touch of a button or toggle-switch. Something you can't see or otherwise perceive is very much like a magical force -- it's certainly not tactile, because touching electricity is a REALLY bad idea... :D

So it's a theoretical measurement of a non-tactile force. Far more than THIS brain can deal with. :D

Andria
Well, this man does look a bit like a sorcerer....or Harry Houdini.
N.Tesla.JPG

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Who is it? I know it's not Edison.

Andria
Boden called it. Nikola Tesla, the father of AC electricity. When he was young, he actually worked for Thomas Edison, but they had a falling out when Edison promised him a $50,000 bonus and reneged on his promise. He championed AC while Edison championed DC. With the financial backing of Westinghouse, he built the first power plant at Niagara Falls (which is still in operation today). He came up with some pretty hairbrained ideas, such as a death ray and an earthquake machine, and when he died the US government seized his notes and locked them away, labeling them top secret.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Boden called it. Nikola Tesla, the father of AC electricity. When he was young, he actually worked for Thomas Edison, but they had a falling out when Edison promised him a $50,000 bonus and reneged on his promise. He championed AC while Edison championed DC. With the financial backing of Westinghouse, he built the first power plant at Niagara Falls (which is still in operation today). He came up with some pretty hairbrained ideas, such as a death ray and an earthquake machine, and when he died the US government seized his notes and locked them away, labeling them top secret.

I read a pretty interesting thriller about the hunt for those notes, not too long ago. Apparently the Vatican wanted them. :D

I've also heard some tale about how Tesla wanted electricity to be "free as a bird" since it's a natural force, but Westinghouse put the ix-nay on that idea because there's no money in it for them to have electricity "free as a bird".

Andria

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Didn't Tesla also invent a wireless delivery system?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Didn't Tesla also invent a wireless delivery system?

Yes, I think that was part of his idea about "free electricity." Can't be having that, the fatcats can't profit from it.

I like these EMCs for electricity -- sometimes we get checks back from them, based on profits.

Andria

Reactions: TrollDragon

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
More of a scorched hit than a dry hit. With the Mutation X only able to hold six drop before leaking, I was able to test it heavily tonight.

I just noticed this chopdoc. I have two Mutation X RDAs and they both leaked past the cap O-rings. I bought replacement O-rings from Kidney Puncher I think and they were really tight. I put a small smear of food safe grease on them and they are superb now. I can fill it to the air holes and if I don't tilt it, it doesn't leak.

If you're interested I'll see if I can make sure of where I bought them from.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I just noticed this chopdoc. I have two Mutation X RDAs and they both leaked past the cap O-rings. I bought replacement O-rings from Kidney Puncher I think and they were really tight. I put a small smear of food safe grease on them and they are superb now. I can fill it to the air holes and if I don't tilt it, it doesn't leak.

I keep the bottom airholes wide open for better flavor, but my two orings give a good tight seal.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
ROFL.... I fergit if it was Azimov or Arthur C. Clark, but it's an amazing quote: "Technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic."

Yup, I remember that. Loved both author's books when I was younger. That is Clark's third law. Here are the first two:
  1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
All three are still perfectly valid IMO :)

We don't think about the current our houses are attached to, the enormous infrastructure that makes it all possible (until some yahoo hits a pole and brings it all crashing down, anyway), we just flip a switch... MAGIC! We have light/sound/whatever we want, at the touch of a button or toggle-switch. Something you can't see or otherwise perceive is very much like a magical force -- it's certainly not tactile, because touching electricity is a REALLY bad idea... :D

So it's a theoretical measurement of a non-tactile force. Far more than THIS brain can deal with. :D

I actually find electricity to be quite tactile and perceivable. This lesson is reinforced occasionally when I do some electrical work in a house and don't turn off the breaker first :blink: ............:shock:

OTOH, try explaining to someone how a satellite manages to stay in orbit even though it's always falling. Now that's non-tactile.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada

Do you mean the V4? I think that is what chopdoc has.
My VaproDNA V3 has a great juice well and doesn't leak unless it's overfilled.

Reactions: Ryedan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I keep the bottom airholes wide open for better flavor, but my two orings give a good tight seal.

Got it, but I don't understand why you can only get 6 drops into that puppy. I don't even count drops any more because it takes too long. I dump a whack of juice into mine and I'm good for a while.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Do you mean the V4? I think that is what chopdoc has.
My VaproDNA V3 has a great juice well and doesn't leak unless it's overfilled.

Nice catch TrollDragon! Both of mine are V1. Just had a look online and I see the lower air flow and smaller juice well. It all makes sense now :thumb:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
  1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
All three are still perfectly valid IMO :)

I agree! That one listed as #1 reminds me of Einstein's rejection of quantum theory - "God doesn't play at dice." Well yes, apparently It does. We just have a hard time figuring out the rules of that divine crapshoot. :D

Andria

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
OTOH, try explaining to someone how a satellite manages to stay in orbit even though it's always falling. Now that's non-tactile.

That's easy

(Msat • v^2) / R = (G • Msat • MCentral ) / R^2

Well at least until friction reduces v and G starts to win, then the sat starts descending slowly :)

I hope I didn't just kill Andria

Edit: actually you can demonstrate it with a tennis ball and a string,

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That's easy

(Msat • v^2) / R = (G • Msat • MCentral ) / R^2

Well at least until friction reduces v and G starts to win, then the sat starts descending slowly :)

I hope I didn't just kill Andria

Edit: actually you can demonstrate it with a tennis ball and a string,

My eyes are used to just bouncing over obscenity like that. :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread