Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Thanks Boden!
I never would have thought of that and I will try the straw trick next time.

That RSST looking genny there seems to have an oblong wick hole, every time I try to use cotton or Rayon in my Kraken the wick hole is the choke point and the juice doesn't flow as good as it should. I wonder if I elongated the wick hole on it, if that would leave less of a compression/choke point.

What say you good sir?
I drilled that AGA out about four years ago. Can't hurt :)

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Iv never used Mesh or Rayon tbh.. Need to look Into both, specially Rayon as everyone praises it....
You need to try Rayon for sure, forget absolutely everything you know about cotton though. Rayon wicks better and is cleaner, has an amazing ability to be vaped almost dry on regular builds and totally dry on TC builds. It will survive a few dry hits much better than cotton does as well.

With Rayon you wick as you would with cotton on say a Kayfun V4 then you will split the tails 70/30. Cut the top 70% section off a couple of mm from the edge of the coil. The other 30% will go down onto the deck like normal. Rayon will wick from the least density to the most, so leaving full sized tails draped over onto the deck can actually rob the coil of juice. You pack Rayon a lot denser than cotton, cotton expands when wet and Rayon will shrink. Getting the coil density right is the difficult part of the learning curve with Rayon. The Rayon thread is hitting it's 15K limit and getting prepped for the Part 2 which will be full of info and tips in an easy to find section instead of all over the old thread. You might want to check it out when its up and running. Our prophet JeremyR knows just about everything there is to know about Rayon and has tried it all. They have achieved 300ml's from a single wick depending on the juice you use.

Come over and get converted, you won't be sorry.

Mesh is excellent for Genny's but does require a bit of work to setup and chase hot spots out of. You really haven't tasted your juice till you have run it through a properly set up Genesis IMHO.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Just thought I'd throw in... there are some few of us who find the taste of rayon quite disagreeable. I liked it a lot at first, but when I got that Smok RSBT, I tried rayon in it, and actually got a dry hit from rayon -- it's not easy to get a dry hit from rayon, but if you do... OMG, it makes burnt cotton taste GOOD. Ever since that happened, every time I've tried rayon I get just a hint of that nasty chemical awfulness, and I just can't take it. I've retreated, for good, to organic cotton; preferably Shiseido.

Andria

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I am curious about something and hopefully someone can come up with an answer to this. Usually I prefer a regulated mod for I like to know whats going on with the watts and battery life. et I gotta admit the Orchid on a Caravela tube mod looks pretty dog gone good and vapes very well. So I ran the numbers for I dont want a pipe bomb in my mouth.
An 18650 battery is 3.7 Volts, coils come in at .46 ohms so Im getting 30 watts at 8 amps. Cool, way in the safe range for the batteries.

So here is the question..... In a regulated mod it shows the battery can give over 5 volts when in use even tho it is rated at 3.7 volts. So what voltage value should you plug into the steam engine when calculating battery safety?

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Just thought I'd throw in... there are some few of us who find the taste of rayon quite disagreeable. I liked it a lot at first, but when I got that Smok RSBT, I tried rayon in it, and actually got a dry hit from rayon -- it's not easy to get a dry hit from rayon, but if you do... OMG, it makes burnt cotton taste GOOD. Ever since that happened, every time I've tried rayon I get just a hint of that nasty chemical awfulness, and I just can't take it. I've retreated, for good, to organic cotton; preferably Shiseido.

Andria

I have used Rayon a lot because i have a lot of it and dry hits are very nasty regardless what the wicking material is. I really dont see any difference in wicking between Rayon or Cotton but with Rayon I do notice a soybean flavor when its new for maybe the first 5 minutes of vaping it and then it goes away and delivers a normal flavored vape.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I have huge bags of rayon and cotton. Several lifetimes of each I'd guess.

I've never met a burnt hit I liked from either.

Both taste odd to me til broken in.

I can't say either gives any special magic over the other to me. I mostly use rayon but if cornered for a reason I'd be stumped.

Odd things do turn up from time to time. For example the STM deck for me won't work well with rayon but works great with cotton

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
I have huge bags of rayon and cotton. Several lifetimes of each I'd guess.

I've never met a burnt hit I liked from either.

Both taste odd to me til broken in.

I can't say either gives any special magic over the other to me. I mostly use rayon but if cornered for a reason I'd be stumped.

Odd things do turn up from time to time. For example the STM deck for me won't work well with rayon but works great with cotton

I use Rayon probably %90 of the time on the STM deck and never really had a problem with it. It dont flood and allows good wicking. What I have found to always be a limiting factor on the STM RBA deck was coils. 28 ga dont like over 20 watts, 26 ga prefers 25 watts and 24 ga can go up to 40 watts. You wouldnt think the wire ga would make that big of a difference but like with the 28 ga, over 20 watts will give burnt dry type of hits, yet that same exact coil in a Kayfun will give burnt hits over 13 watts. Funny how that works.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I am curious about something and hopefully someone can come up with an answer to this. Usually I prefer a regulated mod for I like to know whats going on with the watts and battery life. et I gotta admit the Orchid on a Caravela tube mod looks pretty dog gone good and vapes very well. So I ran the numbers for I dont want a pipe bomb in my mouth.
An 18650 battery is 3.7 Volts, coils come in at .46 ohms so Im getting 30 watts at 8 amps. Cool, way in the safe range for the batteries.

So here is the question..... In a regulated mod it shows the battery can give over 5 volts when in use even tho it is rated at 3.7 volts. So what voltage value should you plug into the steam engine when calculating battery safety?
You use the mods cutoff voltage which is generally 3.2V under load.
W = V•A
So 30W/3.2V = 9.375A

With a mech you generally use 4.2V to calculate ampere draw.

A = V/R
4.2/0.46 = 9.13A

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
You use the mods cutoff voltage which is generally 3.2V under load.
W = V•A
So 30W/3.2V = 9.375A

With a mech you generally use 4.2V to calculate ampere draw.

A = V/R
4.2/0.46 = 9.13A

Thanks Boden, thats good info to know. What I find surprising is in the year + I been vaping and the ton of material on battery safety that I have read, this is the first time I can remember seeing this addressed. Batteries venting/blowing up on people I believe are a bit more common than the vaping community wishes to admit and part of it could be people just dont know how to compute the actual drain on a particular battery while vaping from it. I am not a fan of unregulated tube mods mainly from the lack of safety aspect of them but now knowing that I can compute the range of 3.2 volts to 4.2 volts divided by the known resistance of the RDA/RTA build will show me if the battery I am using is in fact being used safely or not. I am also better able to find out what wattage I am vaping at which at 4.2 Volts would be 38.35 watts.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have used Rayon a lot because i have a lot of it and dry hits are very nasty regardless what the wicking material is. I really dont see any difference in wicking between Rayon or Cotton but with Rayon I do notice a soybean flavor when its new for maybe the first 5 minutes of vaping it and then it goes away and delivers a normal flavored vape.

I don't think it's soybeans I'm tasting, from rayon... it tastes like the nastiest volatile-chemical soup I can even imagine. I've still got a pretty good bit that was PIFed to me from that huge rayon thread, but I doubt I'll ever use it. Since discovering Shiseido cotton, I'm overwhelmingly thrilled with it -- no bad taste at all, ever, and it wicks like a dream. The 'break-in' taste is another reason I'm so fond of my Achilles; I get a very faint taste of "wet cotton" for maybe 2 hits, then it's gone and all I taste is the vape. I've tried the KGD too, and it also wicks pretty well, but doesn't break-in quite as fast. Plus, the size of the Shiseido pads is perfect for cutting strips off, for the Achilles; when it's inserted into the coil, I only cut off maybe a quarter-inch at each end, and it's the perfect length to reach down to the bottom of that deep well.

Andria

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Going to try try the Scottish Roll wick in the Origenny with a Ti build, probably a single but might try it dual.
I know it is sacrilege ([HASHTAG]#NoCottonInMyGenny[/HASHTAG]) but it really sounds like a great wick. A buddy put one in his Magma and was like 25 vapes in before he had to refill it.

I know Rip Trippers did a video but his foolishness is too over the top sometimes.
Here is where I learned of it.

Gave this a try, and while I didn't get any dry hits, after 12 hours I was still tasting cotton with every puff. I also felt the need to squonk often just because with the cotton taste, I couldn't tell if it was dry or not. Maybe I did it wrong.

Romano Cheese

Master Mod Womper
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Going to try try the Scottish Roll wick in the Origenny with a Ti build, probably a single but might try it dual.
I know it is sacrilege ([HASHTAG]#NoCottonInMyGenny[/HASHTAG]) but it really sounds like a great wick. A buddy put one in his Magma and was like 25 vapes in before he had to refill it.

I know Rip Trippers did a video but his foolishness is too over the top sometimes.
Here is where I learned of it.

All hail Cheesebanana! I don't even use TC anymore since I started using the Scottish Roll.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Gave this a try, and while I didn't get any dry hits, after 12 hours I was still tasting cotton with every puff. I also felt the need to squonk often just because with the cotton taste, I couldn't tell if it was dry or not. Maybe I did it wrong.
I gave it two good attempts as well, one in my FeV and the other in the Aqua 2 in dripper mode. I possibly cranked the wick through to tightly as I did manage to get dry hits from mine. Looking at that video again it looks like he has a pair of 4mm ID Clapton's on that RDA where I only had a 2.5mm & 3mm build. I might try it in my Mutation down the road with a 4mm build.

As for now I will try out Boden's Italian Shoulders Wick, it's reported to hold 5ml's of juice so I'll build it in the Big German. It will be fun to watch the chimney rise exposing those 4 massive juice holes, then the "BIS" quickly suck up 5ml's of the 10ml tank... :shock:

BISquick... Uh Oh... Betty Crocker gonna come at you wit dat wooden spoon... :lol:

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
All vapers should have a solid understanding of ohms law and battery safety. :cool:

I and many others agree that all vapors should have a solid understanding of ohms law and battery safety but sadly that is not the case. There is millions upon millions of people who vape yet only a small percentage of them are aware of the resources available to them like ECF where they can learn about battery safety and ohms laws. Then also there is the B&M's who only know "clouds bro" and sell people gear like tube mods and RDA's without ever bothering to explain battery safety or ohms law. I was recently in a B&M and a couple older than me was shopping looking to get into vaping. The sales guy was showing them RDA's. Me having the personality that I am started chatting with them and pulled out my STM and vaped a bit. They eventually bought a couple Nano subtanks, one for him, one for her and a couple 30 watt mods. The salesman was giving me dagger looks which I ignored. He cared less about their vaping journey and wanted to sell them things they had no business having as new vapors because that made him more $$$.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
I don't think it's soybeans I'm tasting, from rayon... it tastes like the nastiest volatile-chemical soup I can even imagine. I've still got a pretty good bit that was PIFed to me from that huge rayon thread, but I doubt I'll ever use it. Since discovering Shiseido cotton, I'm overwhelmingly thrilled with it -- no bad taste at all, ever, and it wicks like a dream. The 'break-in' taste is another reason I'm so fond of my Achilles; I get a very faint taste of "wet cotton" for maybe 2 hits, then it's gone and all I taste is the vape. I've tried the KGD too, and it also wicks pretty well, but doesn't break-in quite as fast. Plus, the size of the Shiseido pads is perfect for cutting strips off, for the Achilles; when it's inserted into the coil, I only cut off maybe a quarter-inch at each end, and it's the perfect length to reach down to the bottom of that deep well.

Andria

I have never tried Shiseido pads and have no intentions of trying it at this time. I have so much Rayon and organic cotton on hand that buying more wicking material to me is pointless. With the amount I have there probably will still be plenty after I check out of this world :D

But I can understand your disdain for Rayon. You had a horrible nasty dry hit and now thats what you expect from Rayon even tho of your own admission previously you used and liked it. I can understand that. Once years ago I got horribly sick off of some pork chops and to this day I am not a fan of pork yet I use to like it a lot. Just the thought of getting that sick again makes me not like it.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I gave it two good attempts as well, one in my FeV and the other in the Aqua 2 in dripper mode. I possibly cranked the wick through to tightly as I did manage to get dry hits from mine. Looking at that video again it looks like he has a pair of 4mm ID Clapton's on that RDA where I only had a 2.5mm & 3mm build. I might try it in my Mutation down the road with a 4mm build.

As for now I will try out Boden's Italian Shoulders Wick, it's reported to hold 5ml's of juice so I'll build it in the Big German. It will be fun to watch the chimney rise exposing those 4 massive juice holes, then the "BIS" quickly suck up 5ml's of the 10ml tank... :shock:

BISquick... Uh Oh... Betty Crocker gonna come at you wit dat wooden spoon... :lol:
You do know that was a joke... Right :rolleyes:

Those tails did hold 5mL but fitting them in the Velocity was a leaky mess :)

I did make a version that actually worked. It's just little cut off squares of cotton that I added to the side of the wicks for capacity feeding
image.jpg

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have never tried Shiseido pads and have no intentions of trying it at this time. I have so much Rayon and organic cotton on hand that buying more wicking material to me is pointless. With the amount I have there probably will still be plenty after I check out of this world :D

But I can understand your disdain for Rayon. You had a horrible nasty dry hit and now thats what you expect from Rayon even tho of your own admission previously you used and liked it. I can understand that. Once years ago I got horribly sick off of some pork chops and to this day I am not a fan of pork yet I use to like it a lot. Just the thought of getting that sick again makes me not like it.

It's not really the "expectation"... just that now I can taste something that I find extremely distasteful, though previously I didn't taste that -- I suspect my recuperating taste/smell is the real problem -- I smell a LOT of things now that I'd have far preferred to remain ignorant of. :D But I've tried rayon again in attys that I absolutely know how to build and wick... and still taste that odd taste. I think this is a large part of the reason I can't vape "virginia" anymore -- now that I can actually taste it. :D It breaks my heart that I can't enjoy italian sausage on pizza anymore, but it just doesn't taste good to me anymore. :(

I'm just glad I found something that I really like, that works really well, and I can find locally (as with the rayon from sally's) -- a dept store nearby carries the Shiseido pads, so I won't have to waste money on shipping to get them.

Trust me, I thought the whole idea of paying $9-$12 for cotton sounded ridiculous, when I first heard of it... so I got a bag of organic cotton balls, and for taste alone, they're just as good -- but the cotton pads wick so much better, and are so much easier to use than twisting a wick from plain cotton, that $9-$12 sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Andria

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
It's not really the "expectation"... just that now I can taste something that I find extremely distasteful, though previously I didn't taste that -- I suspect my recuperating taste/smell is the real problem -- I smell a LOT of things now that I'd have far preferred to remain ignorant of. :D But I've tried rayon again in attys that I absolutely know how to build and wick... and still taste that odd taste. I think this is a large part of the reason I can't vape "virginia" anymore -- now that I can actually taste it. :D It breaks my heart that I can't enjoy italian sausage on pizza anymore, but it just doesn't taste good to me anymore. :(

I'm just glad I found something that I really like, that works really well, and I can find locally (as with the rayon from sally's) -- a dept store nearby carries the Shiseido pads, so I won't have to waste money on shipping to get them.

Trust me, I thought the whole idea of paying $9-$12 for cotton sounded ridiculous, when I first heard of it... so I got a bag of organic cotton balls, and for taste alone, they're just as good -- but the cotton pads wick so much better, and are so much easier to use than twisting a wick from plain cotton, that $9-$12 sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Andria
I'm pretty sure, after almost a year, I'm only on my fourth of 60 shiseido pads. Easy to work with, excellent wicking, and only get the "cotton" flavor if I use too much. Definitely worth the ~$10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread