Status
Not open for further replies.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
That is because Amazon has a physical presence in NY.
When the tax was enacted, Amazon didn't. NY didn't like the fact that because Amazon didn't have nexus in NY, they were exempt from collecting NY sales tax. So they changed the sales tax law and wrote it in such a way that Amazon would become subject to collecting and remitting NY sales tax. Hence the law was called the Amazon law because it was written specifically to go after Amazon. The change made it so that "marketing affiliates" would count towards creating nexus, so if an Amazon banner ad appeared on any website that was based in NY, that made Amazon subject to NY sales tax.

Of course, this only applies to items sold by Amazon, so if you order anything on Amazon sold by an Amazon marketplace seller not located in NY, even if it was fulfilled by Amazon, no NY sales tax is collected.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
When the tax was enacted, Amazon didn't. NY didn't like the fact that because Amazon didn't have nexus in NY, they were exempt from collecting NY sales tax. So they changed the sales tax law and wrote it in such a way that Amazon would become subject to collecting and remitting NY sales tax. Hence the law was called the Amazon law because it was written specifically to go after Amazon. The change made it so that "marketing affiliates" would count towards creating nexus, so if an Amazon banner ad appeared on any website that was based in NY, that made Amazon subject to NY sales tax.

Of course, this only applies to items sold by Amazon, so if you order anything on Amazon sold by an Amazon marketplace seller not located in NY, even if it was fulfilled by Amazon, no NY sales tax is collected.
Yep I recall the details now they expanded the definition of presence. Which is a bit nebulous in the world of the web anyway.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I picked up my FiiO X3 and E12 from the HeadphoneBar in Vancouver great online shop for me. Always wanted a pair of 225's but never picked up any. I see that HiFiMan is starting move into Stax territory with the pricing of the new HE1000's.
I always liked the look of Ray's gear and his portables are quite popular.

Vape gear is expensive, but nothing like the rabbit hole that is personal audio. :lol:

Man, I live in Vancouver and still haven't actually gone in yet. I've referred people there, though!

As for Ray - his stuff is nice, damn nice, but a lot of the pricing comes from his insistence for everything to be "mil-spec". Granted the results are beautiful - I had a Hornet for a few years and it was just the sexiest little thing. I had a LD mk. II (gold <3) that sounded great but I ultimately passed along due to heat concerns (I frequently fall asleep listening before bed) and replaced it with what became my favourite headamp, the Eddie Current EC/SS. That thing made my RS-1's sound better than anything anywhere close to its price point.

Man, this is really making me miss my hi-fi... where's my wallet?

Reactions: TrollDragon

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
On my Louisiana tax form there is a box for how much did I spend during the year for online sales. Some online retailers are also starting to take taxes out. I purchased a black powder revolver on line this week and was surprised they applied state tax to the total.
Many states started doing this years ago. Sales tax is technically a sales and use tax, so if sales tax is not collected, then use tax is collected if the item purchased is used in the state. However, how many people actually keep track of and report their out of state purchases and voluntarily pay taxes on it? On the NYS tax form, there is a line for you to report your out of state purchases and then pay the use taxes on it. Or if you cannot report an accurate amount, the form gives you an option to pay an amount of use tax based on your income. Of course, you could also report zero as the out of state purchases and then no use taxes would be imposed. If you report zero and the state challenges you in an audit, how would they know you made out of state purchases? First they would need to get a court order to get your bank and credit card records and then decipher that to figure out what your purchases were. Then they would need to subpoena any retailers you purchased from for their sales records to determine whether the store you purchased it from was located within the state or outside the state. If you made a purchase from Macy's, the credit card transaction record would only show that Macy's applied a charge to your account. They can't distinguish whether the sale was made in a store located in NY or NJ. It would cost the state probably tens of thousands of dollars in costs just to collect at most maybe a few hundred dollars of additional taxes.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
Well where I think it will get tricky is I do not do flavors, only tobacco extracts, which I can get no problem but what percentages of those I am unsure on.
Many states started doing this years ago. Sales tax is technically a sales and use tax, so if sales tax is not collected, then use tax is collected if the item purchased is used in the state. However, how many people actually keep track of and report their out of state purchases and voluntarily pay taxes on it? On the NYS tax form, there is a line for you to report your out of state purchases and then pay the use taxes on it. Or if you cannot report an accurate amount, the form gives you an option to pay an amount of use tax based on your income. Of course, you could also report zero as the out of state purchases and then no use taxes would be imposed. If you report zero and the state challenges you in an audit, how would they know you made out of state purchases? First they would need to get a court order to get your bank and credit card records and then decipher that to figure out what your purchases were. Then they would need to subpoena any retailers you purchased from for their sales records to determine whether the store you purchased it from was located within the state or outside the state. If you made a purchase from Macy's, the credit card transaction record would only show that Macy's applied a charge to your account. They can't distinguish whether the sale was made in a store located in NY or NJ. It would cost the state probably tens of thousands of dollars in costs just to collect at most maybe a few hundred dollars of additional taxes.

Had a buddy the state of Louisiana went after. He ordered some cigars on line, the package arrived and a couple months later the state showed up on his door demanding the tax from it. We all thought it was odd because it wasnt even the end of the year yet. For a $30 sampler package the state wanted to levy over $500 taxes on him by justifying it as he received a box of this dimension that will hold this many cigars at and average price of so much per cigar. He pulled out his receipt and proved to them that it was only $30 sampler pack of cigars and then started to threaten legal action against the state for he had the option of paying taxes on it at the end of the year when he filed his taxes and what they was doing was harassment and they backed off. Seems the state was getting information from UPS on deliveries to residents from certain retailers.
I agree, they dont know what you bought or how much you paid for an item which is why I yearly pull out a $200 sumptin figure out of my head during tax times. Prove I spent more lol

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Reactions: KattMamma

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Had a buddy the state of Louisiana went after. He ordered some cigars on line, the package arrived and a couple months later the state showed up on his door demanding the tax from it. We all thought it was odd because it wasnt even the end of the year yet. For a $30 sampler package the state wanted to levy over $500 taxes on him by justifying it as he received a box of this dimension that will hold this many cigars at and average price of so much per cigar. He pulled out his receipt and proved to them that it was only $30 sampler pack of cigars and then started to threaten legal action against the state for he had the option of paying taxes on it at the end of the year when he filed his taxes and what they was doing was harassment and they backed off. Seems the state was getting information from UPS on deliveries to residents from certain retailers.
I agree, they dont know what you bought or how much you paid for an item which is why I yearly pull out a $200 sumptin figure out of my head during tax times. Prove I spent more lol
I suppose if the package is coming from a sender that sells only one type of product you could track it that way. But if UPS tells the state that a big, heavy box came from Amazon, how will they know whether that big box had a $2,000 desktop computer in it, or a $10 bag of cat litter?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Man, I live in Vancouver and still haven't actually gone in yet. I've referred people there, though!

As for Ray - his stuff is nice, damn nice, but a lot of the pricing comes from his insistence for everything to be "mil-spec". Granted the results are beautiful - I had a Hornet for a few years and it was just the sexiest little thing. I had a LD mk. II (gold <3) that sounded great but I ultimately passed along due to heat concerns (I frequently fall asleep listening before bed) and replaced it with what became my favourite headamp, the Eddie Current EC/SS. That thing made my RS-1's sound better than anything anywhere close to its price point.

Man, this is really making me miss my hi-fi... where's my wallet?
Quality built gear does demand a higher price tag, I don't know if it ends up being worth it or not since it is relative to ones budget.

An Eddie Current amp would be end game gear for me. I just love the look of the Balancing Act, add a pair of EML 300B Mesh Plate's or the unobtanium AVVT AV300M's and your done. That is until a great deal on the Line Magnetic 219ia shows up somewhere... :drool:

Yes, not safe to let the tubes run 24/7 or unsupervised. The Little Dot's with the proper tubes can sound on par with and most times even better than Woo Audio's in the same class. People are quite amazed when they hear this little inexpensive Chinese amplifer.

You know what we always say on HF to new members... "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet."

Reactions: VictorViper

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
I am vaping on the Rose V2 with a Cuban Cigar blend from Premium Labs Cloud series. My 8ml tall tank KFL+ has a Honey Tobacco from the same company.

Ever since I bought my subtank mini's havent touched my Kayfuns or Lemo's but I am now wishing I bought the subtank plus's for the 7ml capacities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread