Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
I have another question, if someone might know the answer... I was aiming for a .5 ohm coil, and when I plug all my stats into Steam Engine it says 5 full wraps (5.11, but rounded to 5). Now, check me if I'm wrong here, but because both legs have to come off the bottom on this iSub, does that mean that although it LOOKS like 5 wraps, it's actually 5-1/2 wraps, the extra half wrap being the wire going back DOWN at the end of the coil rather than UP? Is that right? And if so, how do the stock coils end up reading .45 to .48 ohms when they look exactly like my new one that I just made. Is it because they're not 24g wire, maybe?

I'm not sure I totally understand Steam Engine completely yet. Rich is gone right now, but when he gets back, I'll ask him, too. He might know.
I dont really rebuild stock coils much, so I am learning somewhat here too. Looking at Steam Engine, I think you are right that its the leg lengths. Steam Engine Rounds full 5 wraps with 5mm Legs(Total, each being 2.5mm) to .48ohms and Rounded to Half Wraps is .53ohms. So for it to be reading a little high sounds normal too me!

@TrollDragon get your Knowledge in here!! lol :D

And where the hell is @Boden ?!!?

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
A nice single coil on the Stumpy works well too.
Word!

ligacjGl.jpg

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
@TrollDragon get your Knowledge in here!! lol :D

I have another question, if someone might know the answer... I was aiming for a .5 ohm coil, and when I plug all my stats into Steam Engine it says 5 full wraps (5.11, but rounded to 5). Now, check me if I'm wrong here, but because both legs have to come off the bottom on this iSub, does that mean that although it LOOKS like 5 wraps, it's actually 5-1/2 wraps, the extra half wrap being the wire going back DOWN at the end of the coil rather than UP? Is that right? And if so, how do the stock coils end up reading .45 to .48 ohms when they look exactly like my new one that I just made. Is it because they're not 24g wire, maybe?

I'm not sure I totally understand Steam Engine completely yet. Rich is gone right now, but when he gets back, I'll ask him, too. He might know.

My guess is that the Kanthal in the stock coil could be a different diameter, either the wire itself or the ID of the coil. You can get 10 different wires of the same gauge from different manufacturers and they will have a little difference in tolerance. Even wire from the same manufacturer can have a different tolerance when dies get worn etc... Could be the actual composition of the wire might be different as well.

The notation of coils with both legs going the same direction is an X/X wrap, in your case you have 5 loop edges on the top and 4 on the bottom, so it's a 5/4 wrap. ;)

No biggie if the ohms don't come out exact, congrats on your build! :thumbs:
:toast:

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
Am I the only one who doesn't use Steam Engine or the like? Of course, I don't build on Mechs so I never have a target range.
I use it when making coils I never have.. Some are memorized, others I have to get on Steam-Engine or an App on my phone lol.
Most builds that are going on a Regulated mod that im used to building(Like for my Kayfuns), I'm not worried that much...

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota

I have a Stumpy, too, and I put a single coil in the middle like that (but not a Clapton) and somebody who should know about these things told me it would spit hot juice in my mouth through that wide open drip tip with the coil smack in the middle, so I've been askeered to try it. Is that true? I was thinking I had to get good at coils so I could put a dual coil in the Stumpy.

My guess is that the Kanthal in the stock coil could be a different diameter, either the wire itself or the ID of the coil. You can get 10 different wires of the same gauge from different manufacturers and they will have a little difference in tolerance. Even wire from the same manufacturer can have a different tolerance when dies get worn etc... Could be the actual composition of the wire might be different as well.

(Pssst... @MMW I didn't use Steam Engine FIRST. I made and installed the coil, checked the resistance, THEN looked on Steam Engine to see if I'd done something wrong. The guys here have been telling me forever not to be afraid of coils, just wrap some wire a few times around something, stick a wick in it and vape it. So I kinda did that. ;) I'll probably consult Steam Engine for a while, until I get a good "feel" for all of this, but since I like a certain kind of coil, it shouldn't be hard to reproduce.)

The notation of coils with both legs going the same direction is an X/X wrap, in your case you have 5 loop edges on the top and 4 on the bottom, so it's a 5/4 wrap. ;)

No biggie if the ohms don't come out exact, congrats on your build! :thumbs:
:toast:

Oh, thank you for explaining that whole 5/4, 6/5 thing. Yes, I guess I have a 5/4 wrap then. I should have gone for one more, but as it spread, I don't think another wrap will fit. Anyway, it doesn't matter, because I let the wick sit for a while, and it's deeelishus now. :) It just needed to be a bit more wet. I primed it and everything, but I guess it wasn't fully saturated. I also thought I'd have to use lower watts, with the slightly higher resistance, but that's not the case.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
I also thought I'd have to use lower watts, with the slightly higher resistance, but that's not the case.

Congrats Lannie, someone probably told you coils are not hard.
Don't worry if you a tiny bit off in resistance.

A VW mod keeps the wattage constant regardless of resistance. (Assuming the resistance is not to low or high to fire.)

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
I use it when making coils I never have.. Some are memorized, others I have to get on Steam-Engine or an App on my phone lol.
Most builds that are going on a Regulated mod that im used to building(Like for my Kayfuns), I'm not worried that much...
I'm always on regulated mods. I usually just build for the atty chamber as far as wraps and gauge. I only use stainless so the resistance is usually low. Today, I built a dual 28g twisted, ss316, 2mm ID 7/6wrap for the Bellus. The Bellus has a tiny chamber. It came to .21 nice Luke warm, dense vape.

11jrbc5.jpg

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
I'm always on regulated mods. I usually just build for the atty chamber as far as wraps and gauge. I only use stainless so the resistance is usually low. Today, I built a dual 28g twisted, ss316, 2mm ID 7/6wrap for the Bellus. The Bellus has a tiny chamber. It came to .21 nice Luke warm, dense vape.

11jrbc5.jpg
Nice, I hear ya! I got some SS316 coming in soon.... Wondering what I should try it on.. I mainly have Kayfuns, one of my Orchids might be a good choice? Nah, I need to get some more different style RTA's!!

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I have a Stumpy, too, and I put a single coil in the middle like that (but not a Clapton) and somebody who should know about these things told me it would spit hot juice in my mouth through that wide open drip tip with the coil smack in the middle, so I've been askeered to try it. Is that true? I was thinking I had to get good at coils so I could put a dual coil in the Stumpy.
It can spit hot juice if you over saturate the coil itself. I run that stapled Clapton at 55W, wicked with Rayon it will hold 35 drops from a regular 30ml PTFE bottle nozzle. I drip on the coil through the DT and leave it sit a few minutes to let the wick saturate fully. I only get spit back when there is too much raw juice sitting on top of the coil, like if you drip then vape immediately.

Spaced coils will also spit more than contact coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread