The written reviews of GLVs. Check it out here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
These are written reviews of the GLV products.

Here is my review of the GLV-2(5v)posted elsewhere on the forum: Posted by The Wiz

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ml#post1498563
First off, I seldom do reviews. I am definatly not photogenic like Grimm Green or BigIceDog so I don't do video reviews. I am not rich either,thus I have only purchased 3 mods since I started vaping in early 2009.The Prodigy V1 has been my main vape since I purchased it way back when........Until Now!

I really,really wanted to buy the GLV-1 when I first saw it,but was always concerned that if I dropped it(I have dropped my Prodigy several times),I would break the atomizer weld connection on the top cap. I did like the look of the unit itself,and it was built by a local supplier.

The GLV I purchased is the 5v w/resistor.....It is also available in a 3.7/6v option(without resistor)and the 3.7v Mini. Another fantastic feature is that the head caps are interchangable.

The Unit: The new head cap is one solid piece of polished aluminum(which can be color powder coated if need be).I could drop it a thousand times and would not have to worry about the same problem.The atomizer connection itself is a 510(which comes with an adapter if you choose the 801 or 901 model),and is replaceable if the threads ever wear down or become stripped(nice feature!).The head cap also Sports the GLV logo.

The button/switch in the head cap is what really sold me on this device. It is a round military grade button that is known for providing(I think Jay said 1,000,000 clicks or something..LOL)long life. I happen to enjoy the "Clicking"sound it makes when I push it. This is one rugged switch/button folks. The switch is located at the top of the head cap and is thumb activated....although I have tried it with my index finger also...thumb seems like a better fit.

The tube is high grade aluminum also and can be powder coated to color preference,and there are many colors to choose from. Etching is also available up to(Don't quote me here)7 characters for personalization.

The bottom battery cap is spring loaded and comes of and screws on easily,and can also be powder coated.It is also vented for protection.

Performance: This Mod is a Vapor Monster.This is without question the best 5v I have tried.I noticed the difference in power from my Prodigy V1 from the get-go. I have tried all three atomizer types I own 510,801 and 901 and have noticed vapor production and throat hit have improved with all three. I personally prefer the 801(penstyle)with this unit.

I had been using Tenergy RCR123A 3.0v with the Prodigy but they seem to work best when fully charged. I would recommend that anyone purchasing this device invest in AW ICR 123 3.7v batteries for the ultimate vaping experience. These are protected batteries and the charge(so far)lasts all day for me,and I am a heavy vaper.Tenergys are cheaper but do not bring the Mod to its full potential.It's worth the extra cost for the better batts IMO.

Overall: This is a terrific and extremely solid mod....very rugged and sturdy with some weight to it...but not too heavy. With the new dawn of Variable Voltatage Mods and Chucks this keeps pace with the competition. If your looking for a well built mod and consistant vaping performance the GLV-2 is for you!

:)The Wiz!​

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
Written By Ostarr........

Normally I'm not one who reviews everything vape related, but I felt the urge to give my 2 cents on the GLV2 5V...
I have had mine for a little over a month now and when someone new sees it, they are amazed by the power behind it, the amount of vape I get and the unique style. Here are some points that I wanted to bring up about the GLV2 @5V...
1. The size... I'm a small framed female, the GLV2 fits perfect in my hand and it's very comfortable to hold and use.
2. The batteries... The GLV2 is never far from my reach as I vape constantly and I'm so pleased that the batteries last me pretty much all day. They give out about an hour or so (depending on what time I get to crawl into bed) before I call it a day.
3. The ability to have it customized... Some may not care as much about this as others, but it was one of the many selling points for me. Jay has a wonderful selection of colors to choose from. Half of the fun in purchasing this mod was customizing it.
4. The price... Some say it is on the pricey side and I see this point, but I also see it as still being cheaper than a month of smoking cigarettes. After my purchace of the GLV2, I found the mod for me, so I'm not looking at spending more money on other mods that I'm not 110% pleased with. It's also made in USA! Jay stands behind his work, if you have a problem with it, you can call and get it fixed.
5. The wait... It's not that bad for what your getting. I waited 16 days and honestly after using mine, I would wait much, much longer for one.
6. The button... It's easy to use. I don't see any way that you can press it by mistake. When you see/hear everyone talking about the button and how wonderful it is, they are right!
7. The customer service... When I made up my mind about getting a GLV2, I was a little skeptical about calling and asking a few questions about having it customized. After a few hours, I broke down and called and I'm sure Jay and Sara have answered the same questions I was asking a thousand times, but they both took their time and answered every question I asked. While I was patiently waiting on that beautiful white box from USPS to show up, Sara and I exchanged a few emails that made me feel great about the company, the product and the ability to still ask any silly question that I had. I can not say the same for any other (vaping and non-vaping) customer service. Sara truely goes far beyond any other and to me, that says so much.
8. Other mods just don't compare... When I started vaping and stopped smoking in March of this year, I started with a 510 tank e-cig. I was not smoking but every once in awhile, I craved a real cigarette and after about a month I decided to go with a e-go T. It was better but I still had some cravings and spent so much money on replacement tankomizers. Still not satisfied, I went with a homemade box mod that was so ugly and I was always messing with the mod more than I was vaping from it. After a week, I threw it down and went back to the e-go T. I vaped from a Silver Bullet but still something was missing. I was so frustrated that I sat down on night and made a list of the things I wanted in a mod. I then made myself some coffee and went online to find the one mod that had everything I wanted and found Greatlakesvapor.com and I was sold. I have not used anything else since and plus the cravings that I had before are completely gone for the first time.
9. It's not only the best 5v mod out there, it's also a piece of art.

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
GLV-3 review by War Mouse
Welcome to my written review of the Great Lakes Vapor GLV-3.

A little about myself to give you an idea of my credentials. I quit analogs over a year ago, and in that time have become a forum dweller, as well as local advocate in my hometown. I enjoy people asking me about my vaping when I'm at work. I don't buy tons of mods, and this was my first pre-order, but I have been to many gatherings including Midwest Vapefest and have tried many different mods. I am by no means an expert, and this review is purely my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

(This is a review of the 5v version.)

Initial impressions: I convinced my boss to give me a quick break to run home and grab my new GLV-3 after my wife called and told me it had arrived. I raced home with that odd excited/apprehension you might feel on a first date. Is this THE ONE? Did I waste my money? Once I arrived home I ripped open the packaging and stared at my new mod. I liked the look, but knew I would from the pics/vids I had already seen. Was smaller than I was expecting in a good way. MUCH heavier than I was expecting, but not in a bad way. All pieces were included in the shipment including a juice sample bonus and extra empty bottle. There were even pieces I didn't have an immediate use for in my mind. (I later realized what the little orange ball and threaded screw thingy were for.) There were no directions with the unit, and this is probably the one knock I will give under first impressions. Having stalked the GLV-3 forum area, I know how to find the how to videos, but if someone ordered one today and did not know about the forum, they might be a little confused by everything. Forgivable as a pre-order issue, but I would recommend to Jay and Sarah that moving forward you include a directions sheet, including the silly stuff like battery orientation and specs, as well as feeder swapping information, or at least a links sheet to the videos because they are not easy to find anymore.

Overall: First impressions can be everything and the GLV-3 does not disappoint. I loved everything about its looks and style. The unit feels extremely well put together and gives one the sense that not only is it truck proof, but would probably ward off small arms fire as well. It arrived with extras and goodies I did not expect but do appreciate. If it had directions it would have gotten a perfect score in this category. 4.5 out of 5

Functionality: This is the easy part. Does the mod do what it says and how well does it do it. The GLV-3 claims to be the first "Hybrid box mod", and from what I can tell it is. It is essentially a PV and a manual tank mod in one. It is a resisted 5v device, and can be used as a top feed or bottom feed box mod. By itself the PV portion is essentially a GLV-2 that has been slightly modified to allow for bottom feeding. There are lots of reviews for the GLV-2 so I wont dwell here, but will say it is as good as everyone says as a stand alone PV. The bottom feed system works as advertised, and is surprisingly easy to pick up. As a carto only guy for a long time, it only took one review of Jay's video and one flooding accident to pick up bottom feeding. (Now if I could only figure out WHEN to do it so I don't get that one half burnt vape before feeding. This is my issue not the units.) Top feeding is just as natural as dripping and I would say has the same learning curve. Since you don't get the gurgle when loading with the top feed you may consider a drip shield. Not because you're no good at top feeding, but because they look and work awesome. Wish I had one. Switching between the two the first time is a little odd and time consuming, but after switching back it had gotten much easier. Two or so runs through it and it will be second nature and take very little time. "On the fly" as Jay says will be very possible. Changing flavors will be as easy or as hard as you make it. Since I can no longer stand tobacco smells or flavors I have moved into the fruits/candies/sweets realm. Switching between some of these will only require a bottle switch which is extremely easy and finishing off of the previous flavor in the tube. Switching from somthing like mint chocolate chip to grape would require a hose change, (my GLV-3 came with extra) and a quick blow out of the bottom feed needle and atty. Cleaning is straight forward for anyone who regularly uses a mod.

Overall: The GLV-3 does what it says it can do and does it all very well. After a small user break in period to dial yourself in, this PV can be exactly what you want it to be and you may be surprised. I saw myself as a top feeding carto guy, but after trying different things have become, (for now), a bottom feeding atty guy. Who knew? 5 out of 5

Intangibles: (Some tangibles as well) This is a mod that is built for military duty. There are some other rugged mods out there that come to mind but this is their Commander In Chief. The last mod I bought was specifically purchased for field use. It's my wife's now. With enough room inside the box portion to hold at least a spare atty this is a grab and go mod without equal. I would go so far as to say that this is the only mod I will be recommending to military personnel until there is an aluminum, rubber and neoprene water proof mod. Don't let all of this dripping machismo deter you though. It's a great looking, comfortable mod as well. It can get a bit big in some very small hands, but even my wife can one hand the device. If you have small hands and don't mind the move from 5v to 3.7v, you may feel more comfortable holding a mini or the future super mini. The fact that there are options out there keeps this from becoming a negative. My customer service experience has been second to none. Not once did I have to call Jay, but I can't think of any other internet business that puts a personal phone number on their web page. I had several email conversations with Sarah and always received a prompt response. When I did have an issue, (a small one involving my powder color choice), they offered a solution that was well beyond what was strictly necessary and made me a GLV customer for life. I hope I get a chance to meet them when I move to Michigan. I would like to shake their hands and extend my thanks personally.

Overall: This is a great looking, and performing mod. It is extremely well designed and thought out. 5 out of 5

Conclusion: If you're in the market for a new mod, and have the money, put the GLV-3 on the top of your list to research. As a hybrid mod this piece is currently in a league of its own, literally. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helped,

War Mouse
Attached Thumbnails

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
Review by Kpoc.........

GLV3 Mini in Combat.
Well I have had my mini about a month now and thought I would review it. I received it in the states while on R&R and loved it as a bottom feed. Used it for about 4 days and headed back to Afghanistan, no issues with the TSA or anyone so that was good. After my 4 day trip from Nashville - Atlanta - Kuwait - Kandahar - FOB Wolverine, I had completely drain all 6 of my batteries lol and close to 30 ml of my fav blueberry cheesecake. Being my first true mod I was hoping for nirvana and expecting ok. Well jay is as close as anybody is going to get. The warmth and TH were so much better than my EGO, the taste came through so much more than ever before. I am a fan of atties but being a pilot as well carts work better in my aircraft. So after getting to my timeshare in this lovely country I pulled the atty off and stuck on the carts. I was surprised at how well it did even still in the bottom feed mode as Jay suggested top feed for carts. Well the next flight I found a reason why top is better all around in my case lol, you see there is a thing with pressure of changing altitudes often that the bottom feed doesn't like going between a takeoff at 6500 Msl and climbing to the height of 10000 Msl then down to as low as 3000 Msl before returning to land at 6500 Msl let's just say that bottom feed is auto feed. Juice all over my ankle pocket where I carry my beloved GLV juice in the battery compartment juice just everywhere. So I reworked the the setup as a top feed and put in the little orange ball and set screw. Next flight no problems with leaking, but the pressure made the bottle to hard to squeeze, it took alot of force to get anything into the cart, the solution to that problem came from here where someone mentioned they opened the tip of the bottle a bit. Now I am happily VAPING every flight and having my copilots trying to guess the flavor of the day. On a last note not once have I been concerned with this device holding up in a combat zone it is rugged and well built always ready to be abused by a soilder such as my self throwing it on the dash cause it's time to get to work helping the ground guys to just being in an ankle pocket with everything else in the world I carry, it has never missed a beat and not fired unless I was to stupid to notice the battery is dead. Keep up the good work Jay and Sara and thank you again for getting it put to me before I had to return to this Wonderful timeshare.
Attached Thumbnails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread