Not open for further replies.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Awesome news. Im down to only 5 more wicks. They seem to break without me knowing how I broke them. I actually have two working just fine that broke a week or more after install and so long I keep it shoved in the hole and touching the other broken half they seem to still be working fine. So Ill keep those going as long as I can.

The ZAPs are notorious ceramic wick snappers. You need to insure it is lower than the top of the pos screw and be very, very careful taking off and putting back on the cap. Just the slightest tap of the cap on the wick (when it's secured to pos/neg screws) is enough to snap it. I too have run a broken wick for weeks and as long as I tilted it a bit more than normal (for a ceramic wick) it worked well. One was even broken inside the top shelf and still functioned OK.

One of my not so good days. I just finished putting in 2 new ceramic wicks into 2 ZAPs. The Provari's were standing next to each other. I bumped the table getting up, one Provari fell against the other, both went down on the table top - and YEPPER! both wicks snapped. :laugh: Ya gotta laugh or you'll cry when this happens.

Thanks for the tips on the ceamic wicks. I just placed an order for 3 wicks but after reading the above post I think I need to order 6 wicks! (2 orders)

Just curious, what voltage do you guys usually vape? I just got my ZAU and provari mini last week, still getting used to the open draw. Got a clipper lighter and took the top metal part off and placed it in the top cap of ZAU for a tighter draw. It seems to be working well on lower voltages.

So much to learn! From oxidizing, coil wrapping, vaping draw techniques, flavores, VG ratios... But it got me off analog and I love this adventure!

EDIT:

Just fixed my order to 2x 3x ceramic wicks from Tank electronic cigarette | Tank electronic cigarettes
thanks guys!:laugh:

Last edited:

tenshi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
United States
I know the zap is designed for 32g. Anyone using like 30g? Don't wanna mess up my beautiful atty. also what width are u guys cutting your mesh width wise. I have the insulator in and would like to get the thickest piece of mesh in there.

That's perfectly fine. I typically use 30g on it to build a 1.5 ohm.

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States
Thanks for the tips on the ceamic wicks. I just placed an order for 3 wicks but after reading the above post I think I need to order 6 wicks! (2 orders)

Just curious, what voltage do you guys usually vape? I just got my ZAU and provari mini last week, still getting used to the open draw. Got a clipper lighter and took the top metal part off and placed it in the top cap of ZAU for a tighter draw. It seems to be working well on lower voltages.

So much to learn! From oxidizing, coil wrapping, vaping draw techniques, flavores, VG ratios... But it got me off analog and I love this adventure!

EDIT:

Just fixed my order to 2x 3x ceramic wicks from Tank electronic cigarette | Tank electronic cigarettes
thanks guys!:laugh:

$20+ shipping for 3 very fragile wicks? I must be missing something. What makes this the next big thing? Looks like a step backwards to me. From what I have read the only improvement is slightly better taste. Fragile with less flow and 5x+ the price I just don't get it; please enlighten.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
they dont work very well, if you want to try somthing other than mesh, give the SS rope a try, its amazing, wicks standing up... but i have so much damn mesh it will last me untill the vapocalypse, lol. i can make a decent enough mesh wick that more than fulfills it's purpose for me.

mmikee

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
st louis
$20+ shipping for 3 very fragile wicks? I must be missing something. What makes this the next big thing? Looks like a step backwards to me. From what I have read the only improvement is slightly better taste. Fragile with less flow and 5x+ the price I just don't get it; please enlighten.

I am using a ceramic wick in my Zap. I LOVE it. Simple to use, and performs like a champ !
I recoiled mine with 28 gauge kanthal, and didn't find it to be all that fragile. I think the flavor is amazing on it. I like it much better than ss mesh.

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States
I am using a ceramic wick in my Zap. I LOVE it. Simple to use, and performs like a champ !
I recoiled mine with 28 gauge kanthal, and didn't find it to be all that fragile. I think the flavor is amazing on it. I like it much better than ss mesh.

Good to hear. I will try the ceramic that comes with the new 2.1 when the polished mini's come out. How many wraps of 28 are you using? 10?

RDY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Western Colorado
The ZAPs are notorious ceramic wick snappers. You need to insure it is lower than the top of the pos screw and be very, very careful taking off and putting back on the cap. Just the slightest tap of the cap on the wick (when it's secured to pos/neg screws) is enough to snap it. I too have run a broken wick for weeks and as long as I tilted it a bit more than normal (for a ceramic wick) it worked well. One was even broken inside the top shelf and still functioned OK.

One of my not so good days. I just finished putting in 2 new ceramic wicks into 2 ZAPs. The Provari's were standing next to each other. I bumped the table getting up, one Provari fell against the other, both went down on the table top - and YEPPER! both wicks snapped. :laugh: Ya gotta laugh or you'll cry when this happens.

Just use the wick halves it's not like it would really matter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
First time with ceramic wicks here. Just got some in from provape. Do they need any preperation like boiling, oxidizing, stuff like that or are they ready to go out of the trave tubes they ship in? When I used the preoxidized mesh from provape it leaves a tint in the juice like ink or something, whats that about?

RHP

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I think most people boil them and some folks recommend cleaning in an ultra-sonic cleaner if you have one. The key to success with the ceramic wicks is to get a good tight coil wrap. The slightest gap will be a hot spot. You might not see it glowing, but you'll taste/feel it. Do either the Elias Hot Wrap or electrically annealed method for wrapping the coil for best success. If you search that here on ECF you should get some good posts explaining it and/or video's.

The more the mesh is oxidized the darker your juice is going to get, it comes w/ the territory. Also a 'straw' wick as compared to a solid SS wick tends to let 'cooked' juice filter back into the tank turning your juice darker.

RedhatPat, This info may be useful and I hope it helps :)

Instructions and Tips for Ceramic Wicks:

These wicks are FRAGILE. Please handle them with care. Too much force from the side and they will break.

1. Pre Coil Prep:

Rinse under warm water for two (2) minutes. Place wick(s) in a cup sized container and run a steady stream of
warm water into the container for an additional two (2) minutes. Let cool and roll on paper towel.

Optional –Boil in water for two (2) minutes, change water and boil for an additional two (2) minutes

NOTE that these wicks are fired at over 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Coiling and Breaking In:

Because the ceramic wick is fragile, it is better to coil the wick while it is out of your device

Always make sure your coil is snug against the wick

Break your coils in slowly. Due to the wick being a porous material, there is less coil surface touching the wick. BE PATIENT and give the coil time to oxidize and build its coating.

TIP: Wicks will work better if soaked in 50% filtered or distilled water and 50% VG.

If you don’t have VG, soak in 50% of your own juice on hand. Recommended soaking time is 3 hours.

3. Cleaning:

You can boil your ceramic wick(s) to clean them, as needed. After boiling, you can torch them for an even deeper clean.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
How do you know when a ceramic wick has run its course and needs replacing assuming you didn't break it? Taste?

RHP

They should pretty much last indefinitely. When mine gunk up, I just dry burn until the all the gunk on the coil and wick turns to ash. Then I rinse with warm water and it's good to go again. Once I let it build up way too much so I took it out and torched it clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread