There is no battery you should only use in an unregulated or regulated mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    A lot of people have been saying that a battery like the LG HG2 should only be used in regulated mods and that a battery like the Sony VTC4 should be used in unregulated/mechanical mods.

Why?

Both types of devices need the same thing from a battery....long running time and high voltage when being used ("hard hitting").

The reasons for this in an unregulated mod are pretty obvious. We all want to go longer without needing to charge and the harder the battery hits the easier it is to get the vape we want.

But we want this in our regulated mods too. Of course, we want to go longer before needing to recharge. But we also want the battery to hit as hard as possible when using a regulated mod. The higher the battery voltage, the lower the amount of current the mod's regulator ("chip" or "board") needs to draw from the battery to make the wattage requested.

A 2500mAh battery running at a higher voltage (harder hitting) in a regulated mod will last longer than a 2500mAh battery running at a lower voltage because less current will be drawn from it by the mod.

What does this all mean?

Don't waste time by trying to classify batteries as being only for regulated or being only for unregulated/mechanical mods. Instead, pick the best battery for the amount of current you'll be drawing from the battery and the way you vape.

The LG HG2 is a great battery in an unregulated/mechanical mod if you're drawing around 20A-25A. The VTC4 is a great choice for high power regulated devices to keep battery temperatures down when drawing up to 25A-30A.

There are lots of other great choices from Samsung, Sony, LG, and Panasonic/Sanyo depending on your power setting or coil resistance and the way you vape. See my table of recommended batteries or ask around to see what everyone's favorites are.

[EDIT] This post assumes you are not exceeding the rating of any battery you are using! I am not trying to say that any battery can be used in any mod, only that we shouldn't eliminate using certain batteries for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 6, 2013
    Florida, SW
    Hi Mooch, great topic, thanx for that...

makes me think of another misnomer people like to throw around

"MODS" on board chargers - it ruins your battery, it is dangerous, it kills whales... :rolleyes:

do you have any thoughts on that ?

seems to me maunfacturers would produce something inside their own devices that would be safe and also not harm the power supply...

appreciate the work you do to clear the air about battery mystery

:thumbs:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi Mooch, great topic, thanx for that...

makes me think of another misnomer people like to throw around

"MODS" on board chargers - it ruins your battery, it is dangerous, it kills whales... :rolleyes:

do you have any thoughts on that ?

seems to me maunfacturers would produce something inside their own devices that would be safe and also not harm the power supply...

appreciate the work you do to clear the air about battery mystery

:thumbs:

Our mods are produced as inexpensively as possible and the charger circuits, along with everything else, are not designed to be robust, reliable circuits. Some are total crap, some are quite reliable. Overall I think their reliability is quite low but I have no idea what their failure rate is.

Reactions: pufZeppelin

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2016
    Fantasy Island
    Our mods are produced as inexpensively as possible and the charger circuits, along with everything else, are not designed to be robust, reliable circuits. Some are total crap, some are quite reliable. Overall I think their reliability is quite low but I have no idea what their failure rate is.
    Regardless of the device, flashlights or mods, I always remove the batt for charging in an external regulated charger. These things have all the proper goodies like cut offs and trickle charging and reconditioning and diaper changing. [emoji6]

Sent from the road using Tapatalk.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2016
    Fantasy Island
    Depends on the charger. Then, depends if your charger is real or fake. My Nitecore d2 works great. That charger is also heavily counterfeited. Mine passed the verification code.

Sent from my SC-777 using Tapatalk
    I wholly agree with you. I'm using a Nitecore i2 myself and looking to pick up an i4 soon.

Sent from the road using Tapatalk.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread