Thermal vs Amp Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchHead

Aug 12, 2015
Hi All,

I'm thinking I should add some protection to my box mod but I could use some education.

First, I'm using a very simple box with 2 18650 LMRs in parallel with a 510/1.8ohm tank and a simple switch.

I see there are inline thermal fuses for specific temps and amp rated fuses in re-settable and non-re-settable.

Is one better for my application than the other?

What's the best way to determine the best temp rating and/or the best amp rating that I need?

And what's the deal with a re-settable? It sounds redundant(?) to me. For instance, I set my unit down and walk away, unaware that a short condition has occurred. Until I get back, doesn't the fuse just continue to reset then trip again until the short condition is fixed? How many times will the fuse safely trip and reset?

david4500

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...EpiMZZMsxR%2bBXi4wRULUWu%2b0/KKWjHla6GdFh6iY=

These fuses work wonderfully for protection from a hard short. In the event of a short, the fuses will increase in resistance then fully trip and break the circuit. When the fault is removed, the fuses will begin to cool, decrease in resistance, and return to their normal state. The data sheet should state the number, but off the top of my head the fuses can be broken up to 1000 times max.

bUdCZBX.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread