Things sure have changed 'round here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I ran up to the store on my bike all the time. It was about a 10-15 minute ride on the bike. I always biked off the main roads (which no longer is the case), and only crossed major roads. I could carry a lot of groceries in my backpack...

As to the smokes. I could buy them legally when I was 16. I started smoking them at that age.

Ah, 1987, what a year it was. I think they were a bit under a buck. Maybe 90 cents...

Robin, you are getting old, but you are still hot! So shrug it off, baby.

kissing.gif

Anyone else notice that we kids would go to the store? Not parents driving us. Us kids walking! What a time that was :D
Actually got exercise and did errands for our parents. I remember getting 8 pack bottles of coca-cola and carrying them back home.

Oh we walked or rode our bikes EVERYWHERE.

Ah yes, alcohol stories. I remember earning a drive with Daddy in his Mustang (to this day I love vintage 'stangs)...he'd have his beer wedged in the leather so it wouldn't spill...but of course it would always spill anyway...".......mit!" LOL. Going 70 in a residential area, no seatbelts, of course, there were simply none installed in the car. Seatbelts were for "idiots" who "weren't careful," "careful" apparently meaning 65 past a school with Daddy leaning down under the dash searching for a fresh beer...".......mit...take the wheel for a second, Meli..." I was four, LOL.

Did we really survive the 60s and 70s?

Edited to take out a couple of "LOL"s, three per post is my limit. LOL. ( <- kidding)

Last edited:

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
I remember having a note from my mom so I could buy her cigs for her.
I remember smoking everywhere, malls, stores, in the hospital room after having my kids and anywhere on the plane, not just the back of the plane. (Smoking anywhere on the plane was when I was little)
Buying my cigs in the checkout isle of the grocery store.
$.50 a pack when I started buying my own cigs and gas was cheaper than a pack of cigs. $10.00 would fill the tank, easily.
:facepalm: I'm getting old....

oy, I remember all of this,,,,,,,

and I remember full service gas stations where they ran out and washed your windows and checked all your fluids too :lol:

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
Oh we walked or rode our bikes EVERYWHERE.

was there a summer day you WEREN'T on your bike???????

and if you wanted a cold coke, you had to walk (or ride) yourself down to the corner store, because Mom surely wasn't driving you :lol:

but nobody was worried about getting their kids stolen in those days either,,,,,,,,,nobody worried about you til dinner time.

was there a summer day you WEREN'T on your bike???????

and if you wanted a cold coke, you had to walk (or ride) yourself down to the corner store, because Mom surely wasn't driving you :lol:

but nobody was worried about getting their kids stolen in those days either,,,,,,,,,nobody worried about you til dinner time.

Oh my goodness EXACTLY. My mom would send us out in the morning and say, "Be back for lunch." After lunch she would say, "You're kids with plenty of energy, I don't want to see you back here until dinner."

Then after dinner we'd play SPUD in the streetlights until 10.

If our parents didn't hear from us for five or six hours they just assumed we were at a friend's house. And by God you'd behave at that friend's house (if that's where you were...as opposed to say, raped or dead in a ditch or something) because you knew if you were really bad enough, your friend's mom might smack you just like your own mom would smack you.

Meeeeeeem'ries, like the coooooooorners of my mind...

feldwin

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
Ft Worth Texas
Oh my goodness EXACTLY. My mom would send us out in the morning and say, "Be back for lunch." After lunch she would say, "You're kids with plenty of energy, I don't want to see you back here until dinner."

If our parents didn't hear from us for five or six hours they just assumed we were at a friend's house. And by God you'd behave at that friend's house (if that's where you were...as opposed to say, raped or dead in a ditch or something) because you knew if you were really bad enough, your friend's mom might smack you just like your own mom would smack you.

Meeeeeeem'ries, like the coooooooorners of my mind...

I can't count the number of (well deserved) smacks I got from friend's parents. Only hoped they didn't call and tell my mom because then I would get another when I got home.

OzarkTroutBum

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Ozarks
I have a sister that worked at RJ Reynolds during the "Joe Camel" days. She used to give me HUGE boxes of promo cigarettes. For years my vegetable drawer had literally hundreds of packs. I had drawers full of lighters, playing cards and a myriad of other RJ branded knick knacks not even related to smoking.
The supply was literally never ending, she had a full size van that was full of the junk at all times and it was her job to get rid of it. She didn't have to sell or fill orders, just give RJ tobacco related stuff away.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Thank you folks for all the wonderful memories. Life was so much more fun back when kids were allowed to be kids.

And adults could relax. They didn't have to drive here, there and everywhere all the time. We knew our job was to fetch. :D
Hide and seek was fun at night... Scary but fun.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA

In my neighborhood, the streetlights coming on was the universal sign that it was time for everyone to go home for dinner.

(Of course, in EST they come on 3 hours earlier ;-)

Oh, and $100/carton? Same here.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Seriously, how is humanity still alive with all that second hand smoke everywhere? I read on the internet somewhere that it is the most dangerous thing, like ever! Worse than the plague! But I simply can't believe anyone in this thread smoked under the age of 18. Doing that would undoubtedly kill you by the time you are 18. I think it's called a scientific fact, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread