Things that aren't quite there yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
What are the things that are in your way to the perfect vape? I'm aiming this question more towards experienced vapers that have tried more stuff, and still not hitting that unicorn rainbow vape.

Mine would be my liquid. I DIY and I'm at 12ish mg with rda-s (mtl), and i still rarely get the desired throat hit. I'm using max VG since PG does nothing but harshen it up for me and adds sharpness, can add nic but i feel like 12mg on a dripper should be enough. I don't know. I also get vapers tongue all the friggin time no matter how many flavors i switch.

Reactions: thetrucker

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Up the nicotine! If it is not satisfying you, and you feel comfortable vaping 18, 24, 36+ mg then that is what you may need to do!

I watched an employee at my local vape shop purchase a new bottle of 24mg liquid, crack the safety seal, and proceed to drip it on an RDA, and vape with no issue mainly because no one believed that he was dripping 24mg.

As for my "unicorn rainbow" vape, the bottleneck of my experience would have to be the vapor production... Atlantis v.2 at .3Ohms is too much for me, the Subtank at .5 isn't enough, the Atlantis v1 is great, but too much spitback, the 1.2Ohm coils for the subtank never worked for me... My Nautilus/Mini doesn't have enough vapor. I came from cigars and pipes, so I'm used to smoking (in this case, fogging) up a room to the point where its hard to see :D:D

Reactions: RipCigs

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Up the nicotine! If it is not satisfying you, and you feel comfortable vaping 18, 24, 36+ mg then that is what you may need to do!

I watched an employee at my local vape shop purchase a new bottle of 24mg liquid, crack the safety seal, and proceed to drip it on an RDA, and vape with no issue mainly because no one believed that he was dripping 24mg.

As for my "unicorn rainbow" vape, the bottleneck of my experience would have to be the vapor production... Atlantis v.2 at .3Ohms is too much for me, the Subtank at .5 isn't enough, the Atlantis v1 is great, but too much spitback, the 1.2Ohm coils for the subtank never worked for me... My Nautilus/Mini doesn't have enough vapor. I came from cigars and pipes, so I'm used to smoking (in this case, fogging) up a room to the point where its hard to see :D:D

To be honest i never associated resistance with vapor production in regulated devices, as it will always pump out the desired power. In my experience vapor production was tied to heat generation (tied to coil mass and power on regulated mods), airflow and the juice.
Then again i never paid much attention to my clouds so i might be missing something :)

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, since you DIY you can certainly up the nic in steps until you get the vape you want. There are also additives (flash?) that can enhance throat hit, and a bit of menthol or koolada can also change the throat hit experience.

As for the vapor's tongue. Have you tried unflavored or unflavored with a hint of menthol? That can give the taste buds a break.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Well, since you DIY you can certainly up the nic in steps until you get the vape you want. There are also additives (flash?) that can enhance throat hit, and a bit of menthol or koolada can also change the throat hit experience.

As for the vapor's tongue. Have you tried unflavored or unflavored with a hint of menthol? That can give the taste buds a break.

Yeah, that helps but goes away rather quickly. I don't know if i just get used to the flavor so fast i stop noticing it or what, but it just happens. I try not to be too nitpicky about it or it would drive me nuts.
Eh screwit ill add nic when i get home from work, at least nobody i know will be borrowing my bottles anymore :D

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
What are the things that are in your way to the perfect vape? I'm aiming this question more towards experienced vapers that have tried more stuff, and still not hitting that unicorn rainbow vape.

Mine would be my liquid. I DIY and I'm at 12ish mg with RDA-s (mtl), and i still rarely get the desired throat hit. I'm using max VG since PG does nothing but harshen it up for me and adds sharpness, can add nic but i feel like 12mg on a dripper should be enough. I don't know. I also get vapers tongue all the friggin time no matter how many flavors i switch.
I have found what I think I will stay with for the foreseeable future.

First is the STm with the RBAv2, 1.2Ω coil, rDNA40 at 22 watts.

Second is the Velocity, .1Ω nickel coil (26g 12 wraps spaced), rDNA40 at 40 watts. I specified the gauge and wraps because using a different gauge at the same resistance gives a completely different experience.

I will still experiment with other things, but the urgency I use to have to "try the next best thing" is all but gone.

I also am still searching for the "perfect" liquid. I am close, I DIY my juice and have found simply 55VG/45PG with menthol to be my perfect vape. The reason I say I'm close is the nic, like you, I still have not found the right throat hit. I have learned that not all nics are created equal. After reading the nicotine thread in the DIY section I ordered, and just received, a nic that some say has the best TH. I'm going to do some mixing this weekend.

Your max VG is going to significantly reduce your TH, and flavor, so for you it may come down to a decision as to which is more important, TH or dealing with the sharoness.

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas

Mine would be my liquid. I DIY and I'm at 12ish mg with RDA-s (mtl), and i still rarely get the desired throat hit. I'm using max VG since PG does nothing but harshen it up for me and adds sharpness, can add nic but i feel like 12mg on a dripper should be enough. I don't know. I also get vapers tongue all the friggin time no matter how many flavors i switch.

you say you mtl hit, try mixing it up a bit between mtl and streight lung hits

i am still experimenting and on my journey but i use both styles to vape

most people will fall into one group or the other

i was a 40yr smoker and will say a 12mg subohm hard heavy direct lung hit would probably put me on the floor after ripping my throat out

also direct to lung hits will give your palate a bit of a break you still taste flavor just not the same way

i have read your post and see no mention of direct lung hits so assume you do not

if not give it a try if i assumed wrong then ok just an idea

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
you say you mtl hit, try mixing it up a bit between mtl and streight lung hits

i am still experimenting and on my journey but i use both styles to vape

most people will fall into one group or the other

i was a 40yr smoker and will say a 12mg subohm hard heavy direct lung hit would probably put me on the floor after ripping my throat out

also direct to lung hits will give your palate a bit of a break you still taste flavor just not the same way

i have read your post and see no mention of direct lung hits so assume you do not

if not give it a try if i assumed wrong then ok just an idea

I've tried direct lung hits a couple times, it's not for me. To me it's a different throat hit, i don't get any flavor, i fog up the room.. it's nothing like the feeling from smoking, which is why i'm vaping after all :)
I upped the nic and it's better now, i'll experiment with different VG/PG ratios when i get the time. My pink mule blue label nic just arrived so plenty of base to experiment with :)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Dripping at 12mg/24mg? That's crazy! I find 3mg too strong!

I drip with 12mg all the time. That's totally a function of the atomizer design.

I found my utopia early on. The trick has been to keep that 'perfect vape' as technology changed.
    There are really only 4 components to the perfect vape; throat hit, flavor, vapor, and temperature. But, it really doesn't do much good to only get 3 of them right.

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA

There are three things in vaping that give me a 'throat hit' (ok maybe 4), namely PG, Nicotine, flavorings and lots of warm vapor. (Use a strong cinnamon flavor and see what I mean)

While I like to feel/know that I'm inhaling something I rarely use PG and opt to use 18mg DIY juice and devices that can produce loads of vapor. This can be over done - I currently have a dual coil TI built 'Billow' filled with unflavored 0mg 100% VG as the vapor it produces is overwhelming to me with any nicotine content. (YMMV)

I've had many "roll their eyes" at the mg I regulary use with "subohm" tanks but in my mind it takes what it takes to get AND keep myself off a 44yr smoking habit. Since i DIY my own juice I control how much and of what goes into my juice.

So if your not getting a satisfying draw/pull or hit use more of one of the above until you do!

Reactions: RipCigs

Stosh

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2010
    Nevada
    Dripping works fine with higher nic levels if you don't run sub-ohm, high watt cloud chasing, lung hit only vape rigs.

I dripped for years using 30-36mg DIY juice, with an easy going MTL setup. I prefer my RTA today and have cut back to 15-18mg with a touch higher wattage, a touch more cloud.

Much of your vaper's tongue may be caused by using too much flavoring in your DIY. Drinking too much of the flavoring can deaden your taste buds faster, cut back a little and see if it makes a difference.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
    Apr 17, 2015
    Croatia
    Dripping works fine with higher nic levels if you don't run sub-ohm, high watt cloud chasing, lung hit only vape rigs. I dripped for years using 30-36mg DIY juice, with an easy going MTL setup. I prefer my RTA today and have cut back to 15-18mg with a touch higher wattage, a touch more cloud. Much of your vaper's tongue may be caused by using too much flavoring in your DIY. Drinking too much of the flavoring can deaden your taste buds faster, cut back a little and see if it makes a difference.

I actually use less than the "recommended" dose of flavoring. About 1 drop per mil (i'm not that nitpicky to actually measure how much :) ). Usually the taste is amazing the day i mix it and then it gradually goes away.

@Bunnykiller Of course, I was aiming for personal perfect vape. We all have different tastes in everything :)

hashtag

Ultra Member
    May 17, 2015
    I use menthol crystals or koolada to get the throat hit out of my diy juice. Increasing the nic harshens the flavor too much for my liking. I never liked menthol cigs but I love it in my vape.

I'm pretty happy with my vape but I'd love the same vape and battery life I get from my box mods and subtanks out of a cigalike form factor. I feel like I need a fanny pack just to carry around my gear. Making things smaller and more convenient is all I'm waiting for.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I actually use less than the "recommended" dose of flavoring. About 1 drop per mil (i'm not that nitpicky to actually measure how much :) ). Usually the taste is amazing the day i mix it and then it gradually goes away.

@Bunnykiller Of course, I was aiming for personal perfect vape. We all have different tastes in everything :)

I put the flavor in 1st and measure it. 1.5ml for a 30ml bottle works out to 5% flavoring. Some flavors need more and others may need less.

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    I've been on such a low nic diy juice, and high vg / low pg, that I don't get much throat hit anymore. I think I'm used to it. I never really expect it. I guess it seems normal to just get a taste of the juice, if/when I'm using a flavor. Quite often I use unflavored diy, and maybe a hint of some flavor. Throat hit just not important anymore in my case. I think also that when I use unflavored often, I can use less flavor (then when I first started diying) when I do make a flavored juice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread