Thinking about a box mod, but I've not been keeping an eye on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.

flangemuffin

Jul 28, 2015
Hello folks!

I've always popped in and out of this forum, but I've retired from lurking, and thought I might ask for a little buying advice. I'm thinking about grabbing a box mod. I've previously used an ego 510 kit, then graduated to a Smoktech S.I.D., and now I'm using a simple sigelei mechanical mod. I've played around with the Aspire nautilus and Atlantis tanks, loved both of them.

That might give you a little taste of my vaping history. I've read through DonDaBoomVape's guide, and I suppose I'm looking for something that can last for most of the day (but I do chain vape, so I realise this may be unreasonable), and can be charged by USB. The size isn't too important, but it should fit in my pocket. I really like the look of the Joyetech eVic-VT, but is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for having a read, and do feel free to ask me anything you like!

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I like the evic a lot. The d2 also looks good, but since you chain vape I would be looking for a dual battery mod. Usb charging is never recommended for removable batteries though. You should really be using a dedicated charger. Maybe get a 4 battery charger and carry an extra set.

Reactions: flangemuffin

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I think the EVIC would an excellent choice within your limits. Having the TC circuit is also good news. If you've never tried it, I think you'd like it. Most people do. Another solid option, without TC, would be the MVP 3.0 Pro.

Last edited:

flangemuffin

Jul 28, 2015
What tank will you be putting on it, ohm coil ect, do you plan to upgrade now or in the future only then can I give you some good options.. :thumb:

I'm using the Aspire Atlantis right now, which suits me really well at the moment. No plans to upgrade really, but knowing me, I tend to revise my daily driver every 8-12 months.

Have you considered a bottom fed box mod?

Haven't considered it before now, but I wouldn't write it off. Any recommendations?

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
The IPV D2 might be a good choice:
IPV D2 announced. | E-Cigarette Forum
A single 18650 battery will not last all day....and most definitely will not last all day if the user is chain vaping on it. The OP would need to look into internal battery mods using LiPo's with at least 3000 mah if they want to be able to chain vape and have it last a good 16-18 hours between charges. The evic-VT definitely fits the bill.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
A single 18650 battery will not last all day....and most definitely will not last all day if the user is chain vaping on it. The OP would need to look into internal battery mods using LiPo's with at least 3000 mah if they want to be able to chain vape and have it last a good 16-18 hours between charges. The evic-VT definitely fits the bill.

Sorry, but I've chain vaped on the SX Mini many times and it has lasted a day each time. Also, LiPos generally don't have a better capacity then 18650s. 3 Ah is attainable with just one 18650, whereas the same battery capacity in a LiPo requires about twice the space as an 18650.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Sorry, but I've chain vaped on the SX Mini many times and it has lasted a day each time. Also, LiPos generally don't have a better capacity then 18650s. 3 Ah is attainable with just one 18650, whereas the same battery capacity in a LiPo requires about twice the space as an 18650.
What wattage are you running at (and what temp if you're using nickel coils) and how much juice are you going through each day? I'm currently using 4 TC mods, all with nickel coils, with using my Sigelei 75 about 40 percent of the time, Snow Wolf 200 about 40 percent of the time, the SX mini about 10 percent of the time and the evic-VT about 10 percent of the time. For both the Sigelei and Snow Wolf, I am swapping the batteries out on a daily basis. The SX Mini I'm swapping out the battery every 2 days, and the evic-VT I'm recharging it once every 4-5 days. All four are set to 45 watts and 520 degrees. I'm going through about 9-10 mls across all four mods daily. I start vaping around 9-10 am and stop when I go to bed around 2 am.

With my SX Mini, I'm using Samsung 25R's and when I was using the SX Mini exclusively when it was my first and only TC mod, I could put a battery in it first thing in the morning and by 3 pm the battery was dead.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas

There's more to batteries than simply mAh.

The OP is using an Aspire Atlantis, so he's subohming. That means he needs a minimum of a 20A battery. There are no 3000mAh 18650 batteries that can handle 20A, the best he can get is 2500mAh. If he wants to move up to a 30A 18650 battery that drops him down to 2100mAh.

That said, I've never had a problem using a mod with a single removable battery and USB charging. I wouldn't trust it with a dual battery mod, especially one with the batteries wired in a series, but for a single battery mod having a USB charger is just fine. Virtually every Evolv DNA30 or DNA40 device has removable batteries and USB charging.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Hello folks!

I've always popped in and out of this forum, but I've retired from lurking, and thought I might ask for a little buying advice. I'm thinking about grabbing a box mod. I've previously used an ego 510 kit, then graduated to a Smoktech S.I.D., and now I'm using a simple Sigelei mechanical mod. I've played around with the Aspire Nautilus and Atlantis tanks, loved both of them.

That might give you a little taste of my vaping history. I've read through DonDaBoomVape's guide, and I suppose I'm looking for something that can last for most of the day (but I do chain vape, so I realise this may be unreasonable), and can be charged by USB. The size isn't too important, but it should fit in my pocket. I really like the look of the Joyetech eVic-VT, but is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for having a read, and do feel free to ask me anything you like!
if you are not really interested in Temp Control, check out the Innokin Disrupter - very user friendly, seems to be extremely well built, usb charging (and swappable battery packs (and they are LiPo batteries - supposed to deliver more consistently, will stand more charge cycles)

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
If you don't care about price and like unregulated mods, the TMod by TBev is pretty awesome and is the SunBox. For more affordable I'd recommend a Reosmods Reo Grand LP with an RM8 Atty (Derringer Clone). I currently own 3 reos and 1 RM3, 1 Rogue, and a slightly used RM8 is coming in the mail (traded an extra RM3 I have for it).

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
What wattage are you running at (and what temp if you're using nickel coils) and how much juice are you going through each day? I'm currently using 4 TC mods, all with nickel coils, with using my Sigelei 75 about 40 percent of the time, Snow Wolf 200 about 40 percent of the time, the SX mini about 10 percent of the time and the evic-VT about 10 percent of the time. For both the Sigelei and Snow Wolf, I am swapping the batteries out on a daily basis. The SX Mini I'm swapping out the battery every 2 days, and the evic-VT I'm recharging it once every 4-5 days. All four are set to 45 watts and 520 degrees. I'm going through about 9-10 mls across all four mods daily. I start vaping around 9-10 am and stop when I go to bed around 2 am.

What batteries are you using that you're wearing them out that fast?

I use my SnowWolf about 95% of the time. Often times it's the only mod I use all day. I'll go through 5ml per day in my Nautilus with TC coils at 460F and 21W, and go through another 5ml per day with my Starre at 60W, yet my batteries last right around 2 days on a single charge, using Samsung 25R batteries.

I've also got an old DNA30 clone box mod that I used to use exclusively. Running my Subtank at 30W it will last all day with it's single VTC5 battery. Even now it can last most of the day like that, and the battery is more than a year old with over 300 charges on it.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
There's more to batteries than simply mAh.

True, don't dispute that. ;)

The OP is using an Aspire Atlantis, so he's subohming. That means he needs a minimum of a 20A battery. There are no 3000mAh 18650 batteries that can handle 20A, the best he can get is 2500mAh. If he wants to move up to a 30A 18650 battery that drops him down to 2100mAh.

Samsung 30Q and LG Hg2 are 20A capable 3Ah batteries. Of course, actual capacity decreases as current draw increases, but the same is true with a LiPo. Both are fine if he's planning to use Atlantis nickel coils.

That said, I've never had a problem using a mod with a single removable battery and USB charging. I wouldn't trust it with a dual battery mod, especially one with the batteries wired in a series, but for a single battery mod having a USB charger is just fine. Virtually every Evolv DNA30 or DNA40 device has removable batteries and USB charging.

The problem with using USB to charge while vaping is that it can place stress on the USB, thereby causing it to fail after enough abuse. It's better to use USB only when necessary, such as for upgrading firmware, and change batteries instead if one needs more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread